Feature Request : DJI AIR O3 full power without ARM !
11128 39 2023-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paultbg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131204 ft
United Kingdom

Hello

According to the measurements made on the video below (thanks to Mads Tech for the work) the AIR unit O3 will ONLY get into full power if receive an ARM command via an FC.
Even ticking "low power mode off" in the menu will not get you the full power.

Request to DJI : please allow the O3 unit to get into Full power when disabling "low power mode" as many people DO NOT use these units in quads (with Flight Controllers), so there is no arm command.
I know many people using the O3 units in all sorts of other hobbies : rc planes, crawlers, race cars, boats even on kites !

We have to "disable the low power mode" before use anyway, please make that operation "full power" rather than "half power and wait for arm command" mode that we have now.

Many thanks upfront !

2023-1-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for your feedback. I will coordinate this suggestion of yours to our relevant team for attention. Please stay tuned on the DJI website for the latest news and events. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-1-5
Use props
fans3eebab57
lvl.1

United States

If you have access to an Arduino Nano then have a look at this, which is quite a bit simpler than committing to a flight controller:
https://github.com/ramiss/arduino_DJI_03_RC_ARM
2023-1-6
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans3eebab57 Posted at 1-6 06:00
If you have access to an Arduino Nano then have a look at this, which is quite a bit simpler than committing to a flight controller:

Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed, easier than connecting an FC. Still, a bit complicated as needs to be connected to an RX, and they are not always easily accessible (or even present at all).

I believe that DJI dev team can easily change the setting when we disable "Low power mode" to output the full power and not wait for "Arm command". Of course this will not change the behaviour when connected to an FC, the quad fliers will still ARM to start the motors.
2023-1-6
Use props
Halifax
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326949 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a major *major* issue. I, too, am deeply invested in first-gen air units and am ready to upgrade, but the ARM requirement to get to full TX power is a major deal-breaker. None of my air units are on multirotors, all fixed wing, ground, or kite deployments.
2023-1-6
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Halifax Posted at 1-6 11:27
This is a major *major* issue. I, too, am deeply invested in first-gen air units and am ready to upgrade, but the ARM requirement to get to full TX power is a major deal-breaker. None of my air units are on multirotors, all fixed wing, ground, or kite deployments.

Just to give you an idea, last weekend I was flying the O3 unit mounted in a Bix3 rc plane in a public park. The lowest signal strength that I saw in the Goggles 2  (Ham file mod) was 15–20 Mbps, and that was when the plane was far from me (still LOS) and I was behind the plane.

I would say that even with this power is very much flyable, but for sure it's not going the promised 6 Miles.
Let's hope for a quick solution from DJI, so we could actually use all the available power. My unit is modded with a small fan on top that keeps it cool even when used on a crawler, no problem.
2023-1-6
Use props
Halifax
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Paultbg Posted at 1-6 11:57
Just to give you an idea, last weekend I was flying the O3 unit mounted in a Bix3 rc plane in a public park. The lowest signal strength that I saw in the Goggles 2  (Ham file mod) was 15–20 Mbps, and that was when the plane was far from me (still LOS) and I was behind the plane.

I would say that even with this power is very much flyable, but for sure it's not going the promised 6 Miles.

Hi Paul,
Thank you for the enlightenment. I'm going to swap an O3 into my Finwing Penguin and give it a try. I also ordered an Arduino Nano and will tackle that new world shortly. I do hope that DJI fixes this issue.

I printed up some fan housings for the ground vehicles but I need something for airplanes while idling during preflight...

By the way, I love the Bixler, it is an amazingly agile plane and a joy to fly.
Kind regards!
2023-1-10
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Halifax Posted at 1-10 19:17
Hi Paul,
Thank you for the enlightenment. I'm going to swap an O3 into my Finwing Penguin and give it a try. I also ordered an Arduino Nano and will tackle that new world shortly. I do hope that DJI fixes this issue.

Yes, the Bix is nice, mine is modded with 2 motors on the wings rather the pusher in the back.

The O3 unit doesn't need cooling in "low power" mode, you can only disable that mode and move to high power when you have finished all the checks, and you are ready to fly.

However, you will need cooling in most other ground vehicles that are not fast, like crawlers, trains, etc.
2023-1-10
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
Netherlands

Paultbg Posted at 1-10 23:11
Yes, the Bix is nice, mine is modded with 2 motors on the wings rather the pusher in the back.

The O3 unit doesn't need cooling in "low power" mode, you can only disable that mode and move to high power when you have finished all the checks, and you are ready to fly.

Yes it does. Without cooling it will overheat in minutes in low power mode. Cooling is always needed in every situtaion when powered.

And a simple arduino will enable arming / full power. You can trigger with a button or spare Rc channel if you want. You just need to send the ARMING MSP command.
2023-1-10
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tadango Posted at 1-10 23:26
Yes it does. Without cooling it will overheat in minutes in low power mode. Cooling is always needed in every situtaion when powered.

And a simple arduino will enable arming / full power. You can trigger with a button or spare Rc channel if you want. You just need to send the ARMING MSP command.

That's not my experience. My unit will happily stay in low power mode without cooling all day. But then is quite cold in UK these days and all my tests are in the garage, so that could be a reason.

I fully agree about Arduino, IF you have a radio at all (see kites, steam trains or boats, etc) Also in some of my models the RX is not easily accessible and defeat the whole portability concept.

Hence, the reason why I started this request to DJI.
2023-1-10
Use props
Robino
lvl.3

Slovakia

Yes, yes, and yes. DJI please allow the O3 unit to get into Full power when disabling "low-power state".

I have one more suggestion, The "low-power state" button is located under settings/control menu which is not very best place to access it fast. I have got an idea how to make it maybe better as a part of a screen lock. You know, you need to tap and hold 2 fingers on the touch pad to finish the round to get the screen locked. By still holding the fingers you could enter another round to disable "low-power state". Then you could do the same for unlocking the screen and enabling the "low-power state". What do you think?
2023-1-15
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Robino Posted at 1-15 02:11
Yes, yes, and yes. DJI please allow the O3 unit to get into Full power when disabling "low-power state".

I have one more suggestion, The "low-power state" button is located under settings/control menu which is not very best place to access it fast. I have got an idea how to make it maybe better as a part of a screen lock. You know, you need to tap and hold 2 fingers on the touch pad to finish the round to get the screen locked. By still holding the fingers you could enter another round to disable "low-power state". Then you could do the same for unlocking the screen and enabling the "low-power state". What do you think?

Where to "move" the "arm" button is simple, in the same drop -down menu with the Record button, as they are 2 successive actions. You start the recording, arm (full power) and get on with your favourite activity.
2023-1-15
Use props
Robino
lvl.3

Slovakia

Paultbg Posted at 1-15 04:54
Where to "move" the "arm" button is simple, in the same drop -down menu with the Record button, as they are 2 successive actions. You start the recording, arm (full power) and get on with your favourite activity.

Yes, it could be like the arm button automatically disables the "low-power state" and arms, and also it could automatically start recording if you have set it before for auto recording.
2023-1-15
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Robino Posted at 1-15 05:19
Well, it should be a bit simpler. First, you would have to disable the "low-power state" then you can start recording a then arm. Too many things to do. It could be like the arm button could automatically disable the "low-power state" and arm, and also it could automatically start recording if you have set it before for auto recording.

Clearly, arm & disable low power have to be one single action, they do almost the same thing.
I believe the record button should stay separately as not all the flights / rides / others have to be recorded.
2023-1-15
Use props
Brandon Beans
lvl.1

United States

I also want/need this feature be implemented. Requiring MSP to get full power only limits the application of this potentially amazing product. I have a friend who bought one and was going to get more but he's now thinking of selling it since he cant use it with more traditional rc aircraft!!
2023-1-31
Use props
Drone Cuiabá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13272894 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

fans3eebab57 Posted at 1-6 06:00

The link is broken. Do you have github content?
2023-2-17
Use props
Drone Cuiabá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13272894 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Drone Cuiabá Posted at 2-17 12:33
The link is broken. Do you have github content?

2023-2-17
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Drone Cuiabá Posted at 2-17 12:46

Hello, the link is still working but you can download also from here.
2023-2-17
Use props
DForbes
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9528 ft
United States

Any movement on this request?  The only thing I can think of doing is adding a Menace switch to the power side so at least I can taxi out to take off and then switch on the O3 VTX just before takeoff.  At least on hot days I can reduce the wait time that the O3 unit is actually on.

https://www.getfpv.com/menace-rcswitch.html
2023-2-21
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DForbes Posted at 2-21 12:39
Any movement on this request?  The only thing I can think of doing is adding a Menace switch to the power side so at least I can taxi out to take off and then switch on the O3 VTX just before takeoff.  At least on hot days I can reduce the wait time that the O3 unit is actually on.

https://www.getfpv.com/menace-rcswitch.html

Unfortunately is not that simple, the Menace switch will not work. The Arm command needs to come via the TX / RX channels.

The Arduino option works well BUT it's adding bulk to the unit (the nano board + wires) and needs to be connected to a free channel on your receiver. You lose the easy portability between your models and you cannot use it in models without radio control.

Updating the firmware in the unit to allow full power when you select "disable low power" via the goggles is the most elegant and simple way.
2023-2-23
Use props
HDPS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any news from DJI on that?  My O3 stays on 7 Mbps bitrate and shows "low-power state" while I am flying
2023-3-29
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

HDPS Posted at 3-29 00:05
Any news from DJI on that?  My O3 stays on 7 Mbps bitrate and shows "low-power state" while I am flying

Hello

You have to disable "low power mode" before flying, in your Goggles menu, see my reply below:

"I have one more suggestion, The "low-power state" button is located under settings/control menu which is not very best place to access it fast."
2023-3-29
Use props
HDPS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Paultbg Posted at 3-29 05:40
Hello

You have to disable "low power mode" before flying, in your Goggles menu, see my reply below:

That worked, thanks!   Now I need to find out how to fix the zero volts on DJI OSD
2023-3-29
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

HDPS Posted at 3-29 12:28
That worked, thanks!   Now I need to find out how to fix the zero volts on DJI OSD

For that (and home position, arrow, etc) you will need a FC connected to your O3. The telemetry is passed to the video feed over the RX/TX wires. For now only the FC running Betaflight are supported, Inav OSD is not yet supported.
2023-3-29
Use props
djiuser_LsAudeekKkCJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28615 ft
Canada

HDPS Posted at 3-29 12:28
That worked, thanks!   Now I need to find out how to fix the zero volts on DJI OSD

Be VERY CAREFUL! Watch the video in original post. O3 does increase video bitrate when you switch off low power mode in a goggles, but it DOES NOT go to full RF power. It only outputs full RF power when O3 unit receives ARM command via MSP from FC. So, even switching off low power and seeing 50 mbps you still don't get full RF power.
2023-3-29
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_LsAudeekKkCJ Posted at 3-29 15:05
Be VERY CAREFUL! Watch the video in original post. O3 does increase video bitrate when you switch off low power mode in a goggles, but it DOES NOT go to full RF power. It only outputs full RF power when O3 unit receives ARM command via MSP from FC. So, even switching off low power and seeing 50 mbps you still don't get full RF power.

Correct, is not going full power without FC /Arm (unless you do the Arduino mod, see above).
However, it's plenty to fly around in LOS mode, see the video below. I wouldn't fly long range, though.

2023-3-30
Use props
HDPS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks guys! will be plenty for me flying Acro mode  at close range
2023-3-30
Use props
djiuser_3ch1tNUDXFwl
New

Germany

Hello,

Something new Here?
2023-5-12
Use props
Jurajcs
lvl.2

Slovakia

Paultbg Odoslané o 3-29 12:45 :
For that (and home position, arrow, etc) you will need a FC connected to your O3. The telemetry is passed to the video feed over the RX/TX wires. For now only the FC running Betaflight are supported, Inav OSD is not yet supported.

Already in INAV it is supported:
2023-5-23
Use props
Jurajcs
lvl.2

Slovakia

Paultbg Posted at 2-23 00:29
Unfortunately is not that simple, the Menace switch will not work. The Arm command needs to come via the TX / RX channels.

The Arduino option works well BUT it's adding bulk to the unit (the nano board + wires) and needs to be connected to a free channel on your receiver. You lose the easy portability between your models and you cannot use it in models without radio control.

If it can send the "Arm" Arduino command, could this order send and flight controller?
2023-5-25
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Jurajcs Posted at 5-25 00:08
If it can send the "Arm" Arduino command, could this order send and flight controller?

Yes, the flight controller can send the arm command, that's the standard scenario currently. We were discussing an alternative solution to apply when a flight controller is not present in the machine, like cars, trains, gliders, etc.
2023-5-25
Use props
wilsgrant
lvl.1

United States

DJI, can you please just fix this? You created a setting for us to disable low power mode. Sadly, this setting is bugged and doesn't actually disable low power mode, it just allows for 50mpbs video transmission, but the radio power is still in low power mode.

This has been reported in great detail from many people. Do you plan to fix this? You could sell many more o3 air units to FPV car and plane enthusiast that don't want to mess with a flight controller.

2023-6-10
Use props
suttonr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 300302 ft
United Kingdom

Hi i am also in the same predicament this is going in a plane with no flight controller. Could an update be done to allow the unit to be armed from the goggles ?
2023-9-4
Use props
suttonr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 300302 ft
United Kingdom

Halifax Posted at 1-10 19:17
Hi Paul,

Hi i am looking to print a fan housing do you have the stl file or a link on thingiverse ?
2023-9-4
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hello

I have designed and used this one.
It's not perfect but is doing the job.

The fan can be mounted on top of the camera on 4 small pillars made our of coffee stirers and hot glue.
There is space behind the antenna mount for the arduino board and for a small 3S 1000 battery.
This way the camera unit is self contained and can be moved around on various models.
If you leave the servo wire from the arduino long enough you can easily coonect to spare channel on the radio of the host model and
use it to arm / full power / start recording.

Sure DJI could actually enable full power in the menu as we have requested for month, but they don't really care much for users outside quadcopters.

The video below was recoder just days ago using the linked camera saddle:

2023-9-4
Use props
Aaron Prince
New

United States

Add me to the list of people who need this feature. Any progress on getting this prioritized and implemented?
1-3 17:19
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aaron Prince Posted at 1-3 17:19
Add me to the list of people who need this feature. Any progress on getting this prioritized and implemented?

Unfortunately, nope, DJI don't care too much to improve this segment.
1-12 11:09
Use props
Halifax
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

It is remarkable that DJI does not care about the hobbyist.
1-15 04:21
Use props
Tomcat2
New

Czechia

So they made the best FPV video system for hobbyist and then don't care about them? What an ignorancy!!!
4-14 03:42
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tomcat2 Posted at 4-14 03:42
So they made the best FPV video system for hobbyist and then don't care about them? What an ignorancy!!!

I believe the real problem here is that they do not understand the size and potential of the hobby market outside the quadcopters. Basically, the car market is several times bigger than the quad segment.  But I'm used by now, DJI has lost countless opportunities to cash on trends and products, so nothing surprise me any more.
4-15 06:40
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules