What stabilization is used on HorizonSteady/Balancing?
7351 13 2023-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
URock
lvl.2
Germany

Hi,

I got my first action cam the Action 3 and have some questions:

what stabilization mode is used, when turnung on HorizonSteady or HorizonBalancing? Rocksteady or Rocksteady+?

What is the best mode when driving an e-scooter to reduce the short and hard vibrations from the street?
2023-1-5
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

4K resolution will have three types of  stabilization:
  • RS (Rocksteady) standard
  • RS+ (Rocksteady high) recently added in firmware
  • HB (Horizon Balance)
In 2.7 and Under HB allows 360  stabilization
in4K HB is up to 45 degree only

You may choose the best one for your needs, riding a scooter RS will do but you're not in an Airplane  doing barrel rolls, if  you aregoing to use a selfie stick and  keep shooting high and lo angle shots then HB is what you want but a lower res.  I simply put on RS+ and enjoy. when you get some awesome shots come back and post up for all to see.  Enjoy the camera its a great camera if asked

FISH
2023-1-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. You may refer to the statement of Fishycomics in his response above. You may refer to the information below about HorizonSteady and Rocksteady;

HorizonSteady: HorizonSteady uses DJI's latest stabilization algorithm to lock onto a leveled horizon in every frame, regardless of how the camera is mounted or worn. It allows you to capture smooth and stable footage whether you are cycling on bumpy roads or go-karting around a track

RockSteady: RockSteady technology to stabilize footage. This EIS technology is realized by increasing the shutter speed, analyzing the images captured by the CMOS sensor, and compensating by cutting off the edges of these images. In this way, multiple frames are overlaid and finally combined into a single frame that is sharp, clear, and accurately exposed.

Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-1-5
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-5 22:04
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. You may refer to the statement of Fishycomics in his response above. You may refer to the information below about HorizonSteady and Rocksteady;

HorizonSteady: HorizonSteady uses DJI's latest stabilization algorithm to lock onto a leveled horizon in every frame, regardless of how the camera is mounted or worn. It allows you to capture smooth and stable footage whether you are cycling on bumpy roads or go-karting around a track

what about Rocksteady + that was not written at all??
2023-1-6
Use props
URock
lvl.2
Germany

Try to ask my question more scientific:

1. We got two stabilization modes: Rocksteady and Rocksteady+
2. We got two horizon stability modes: HorizonSteady and HorizonBalancing

My question: what stabilization technique (see number 1.) is used, when horizon is stabilized?
Theoretically we got 9 combinations:

1. Rocksteady
2. Rocksteady+ (PLUS)
3. HorizonSteady
4. HorizonBalance
5. Rocksteady & HorizonSteady
6. Rocksteady & HorizonBalance
7. Rocksteady+ & HorizonSteady
8. Rocksteady+ & HorizonBalance
9. All off

I know what setting is designed for what situation, but I want to know, what the software exactly does, when the horizon is balanced. Does the horizon stabilization use the Rockstedy-technique or is it something different, so that we got 3 different stabilization algorythms? The Rocksteady+ is more aggressive than Rocksteady, but what is the horizon stabilization based on? Is it based on "normal" or "plus" Rocksteady?
2023-1-6
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

URock Posted at 1-6 04:34

sorry I can not  answer for DJI engineers and or offer  by DJI's protocol, of the  c/p book answers, possible when another member that has a better take on how the insides work in their words?
  • Dewarp crops video by a percentage, DJI can answer the exact numbers
  • Rocksteady crops in percentage, around 8%-to-12%, DJI can answer the exact numbers
  • Rocksteady + (plus) will crop further, DJI can answer the exact numbers
  • Horizon balance will also crop, etc.
  • Horizone level 2.7K and lower 360 degree, crops and DJI cananswer the  percentage as well.
The most recent firmware added RS+ and only notes offered are in the  updated page
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D781%26typeid%3D781

the camera software will  balance the video and gyro  on the sensor creating that buttery smooth footage.
2023-1-6
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

URock Posted at 1-6 04:34

With any Horizon it is mostly RockSteady (RS 3.0) since RS+ didn't come until latest firmware.
2023-1-6
Use props
Helmut Ruch
lvl.3
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-5 22:04

HorizonSteady: HorizonSteady uses DJI's latest stabilization algorithm to lock onto a leveled horizon in every frame, regardless of how the camera is mounted or worn. It allows you to capture smooth and stable footage whether you are cycling on bumpy roads or go-karting around a track

"RockSteady: RockSteady technology to stabilize footage... In this way, multiple frames are overlaid and finally combined into a single frame that is sharp, clear, and accurately exposed."

Shurely not! The opposite happens, when you overlay different frames, for example recorded on a driving bike: You get a lot of motion blur. I think that Rocksteady works in another way, and how it does could be seen with the first firmware of the OA. In this version there was of a big lag between the action and its presentation on the monitor of the cam, one second or more. Users complained about that, and in later firmware version this disappeared. This lag hasn't been a bug, it was the result of showing the stabilized picture on the monitor. The camera buffers an amount of frames before the stabilization algo decides, which part of a frame is to put into the video. When Rocksteady decides this, it can look into the future, at least for a second or so. It knows which motion will come in the let's say next 50 frames. When the sensor delivers a frame, it is put into the frame queue and a motion vector for this frame is calculated by analyzing the image and compairing it with it's predecessor. At the same time Rockstaedy takes the oldest frame from the frame queue and calculates it's position by looking on the raw motion path and smoothing it to avoid shaking.
At least this is the way I would have developed it...
2023-1-8
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Isn't rocksteady taking the gyro data and automatically applying it to the video using various algorithms to work out what the final outcome should be?
2023-1-16
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Mikedefieslife Posted at 1-16 03:11
Isn't rocksteady taking the gyro data and automatically applying it to the video using various algorithms to work out what the final outcome should be?

No it crop in a little to make room for real time stabilization.
2023-1-16
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Yes but isn't the realtime stabilisation based on gyro data?
2023-1-18
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Mikedefieslife Posted at 1-18 04:30
Yes but isn't the realtime stabilisation based on gyro data?

No, because then it would perform great in the dark/low light aswell.

But when/if they introduce gyrodata to metadata for the files, then we can use it in pitch dark and get stabilized videos.
2023-1-18
Use props
Helmut Ruch
lvl.3
Germany

Mikedefieslife Posted at 1-18 04:30
Yes but isn't the realtime stabilisation based on gyro data?

The original Osmo Action had no gyro at all, so Rocksteady seems to work without it. In OA 3 the gyro is needed for horizon stabilisation.
Here:

starting at 3:37, you will find a comparison between a gyro-stabilized camera, the SJCAM Action Camera SJ10, and the Gopro 11.

The stabilization of the SJ10 can't compare with Hypersmooth or Rocksteady at all. I think the problem is that it works in realtime, no frame queue and frame buffering as I discribed above. For the OA 3 it may be possible to use the gyro data as a replacement for the motion vectors generated by compairing pictures, which crashes under bad light conditions. Or is this allready implemented and they call it "Rocksteady+"?

2023-1-19
Use props
djiuser_EkrmGBGYmqUC
lvl.1
Canada

Helmut Ruch Posted at 2023-1-8 11:16
"RockSteady: RockSteady technology to stabilize footage... In this way, multiple frames are overlaid and finally combined into a single frame that is sharp, clear, and accurately exposed."

Shurely not! The opposite happens, when you overlay different frames, for example recorded on a driving bike: You get a lot of motion blur. I think that Rocksteady works in another way, and how it does could be seen with the first firmware of the OA. In this version there was of a big lag between the action and its presentation on the monitor of the cam, one second or more. Users complained about that, and in later firmware version this disappeared. This lag hasn't been a bug, it was the result of showing the stabilized picture on the monitor. The camera buffers an amount of frames before the stabilization algo decides, which part of a frame is to put into the video. When Rocksteady decides this, it can look into the future, at least for a second or so. It knows which motion will come in the let's say next 50 frames. When the sensor delivers a frame, it is put into the frame queue and a motion vector for this frame is calculated by analyzing the image and compairing it with it's predecessor. At the same time Rockstaedy takes the oldest frame from the frame queue and calculates it's position by looking on the raw motion path and smoothing it to avoid shaking.
I see what you're getting at
3-23 10:29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules