Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Really!!?? No 3:2 photo ratio???
12Next >
4888 40 2023-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hightidemedia
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Why on God's green earth is there no 3:2 aspect ratio for photos in the M3Classic?? Nearly every drone on the planet features this as did the Mavic 2 Pro. Every camera shoots in 3:2 and now, not only do I have do guess-work about the final picture while I'm flying, I have to come home and crop dozens of images by hand. Utterly absurd.
2023-1-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. The DJI Mavic 3 Classic only supports 4:3  and 16:9 photo ratio as these are the most common display screen, while the 3:2 is for a wider computer display screen. DJI consumer drones still follow the most common ratio display. I will also coordinate this suggestion of yours to our relevant team for attention. Please stay tuned on the DJI website for the latest news and updates. Thank you for your valued support. support.
2023-1-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What's absurd is getting so upset over having to do some minor cropping to achieve a 3:2 aspect ratio.
With 4:3 you retain the option to crop high or low.
2023-1-6
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8533 ft

United Kingdom

I prefer to crop in post.  
2023-1-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just crop it later,  thats all the drone is doing anyway.
2023-1-7
Use props
Hrodnand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972293 ft
Romania

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-6 23:40
I prefer to crop in post.

Same here, I wouldn't even call it as an inconvenience.
2023-1-7
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8533 ft

United Kingdom

Hrodnand Posted at 1-7 02:39
Same here, I wouldn't even call it as an inconvenience.

Exactly and you can compose much more accurately .
2023-1-8
Use props
Hrodnand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972293 ft
Romania

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-8 06:49
Exactly and you can compose much more accurately .

Agreed, it has more upsides than downsides, IMO.
2023-1-8
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You definitely got them on this one.
2023-1-8
Use props
griffdude13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53507 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's a Micro 4:3 sensor, that's why. It has to do with the form factor of the sensor.
2023-1-8
Use props
Mark MaoGowan
lvl.2

Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-6 20:25
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. The DJI Mavic 3 Classic only supports 4:3  and 16:9 photo ratio as these are the most common display screen, while the 3:2 is for a wider computer display screen. DJI consumer drones still follow the most common ratio display. I will also coordinate this suggestion of yours to our relevant team for attention. Please stay tuned on the DJI website for the latest news and updates. Thank you for your valued support. support.

What a croc of crap! Such a pathetic and weak argument! You CAN make a 3:2 aspect ratio in firmware but your engineers can't be bothered more like! It also has ZILCH to do with the width of a computer screen!
Geeeez you chinese......
2023-1-24
Use props
Mark MaoGowan
lvl.2

Australia

griffdude13 Posted at 1-8 14:27
It's a Micro 4:3 sensor, that's why. It has to do with the form factor of the sensor.

Funny that.....every M4/3 camera I own, which is about 8, has the option to shoot at 3:2 and 4:3.....
The trouble today is fanboys and convenience lovers give too much power to corporations who make the unnecessary cutting of the corners and people like you lot applaud that......the iphone generation I call it, always waiting for the NEXT THING yet pay little attention the lack of features in the CURRENT THING....
2023-1-24
Use props
hightidemedia
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. The DJI Mavic 3 Classic only supports 4:3  and 16:9 photo ratio as these are the most common display screen, while the 3:2 is for a wider computer display screen. DJI consumer drones still follow the most common ratio display. I will also coordinate this suggestion of yours to our relevant team for attention. Please stay tuned on the DJI website for the latest news and updates. Thank you for your valued support. support.

What an utterly silly answer. Do you not realize that virtually every pro-sumer DSLR shoots in a 3:2 aspect ratio? Doesn't matter what size or layout the sensor is. Every real estate website and vacation rental platform demands a 3:2 aspect ration, as does most social media. The fact that you don't want to offer a 3:2 choice in the Mavic 3 Classic (and Cine and 3) based on some silly sensor logic is indefensible. I don't want to crop in post - what I want is a 3:2 aspect choice on the drone's screen so what I see is what I get. It's a complete crap shoot what I get having to shoot 16:9 and/or 4:3
2023-1-25
Use props
hightidemedia
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

What an utterly silly answer. Do you not realize that virtually every pro-sumer DSLR shoots in a 3:2 aspect ratio? Doesn't matter what size or layout the sensor is. Every real estate website and vacation rental platform demands a 3:2 aspect ration, as does most social media. The fact that you don't want to offer a 3:2 choice in the Mavic 3 Classic (and Cine and 3) based on some silly sensor logic is indefensible. I don't want to crop in post - what I want is a 3:2 aspect choice on the drone's screen so what I see is what I get. It's a complete crap shoot what I get having to shoot 16:9 and/or 4:3
2023-1-25
Use props
Mark MaoGowan
lvl.2

Australia

Hmmmmmm I see all my other replies all vanished.....what a disgrace of a site this is.
2023-1-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Mark MaoGowan Posted at 1-24 17:33
What a croc of crap! Such a pathetic and weak argument! You CAN make a 3:2 aspect ratio in firmware but your engineers can't be bothered more like! It also has ZILCH to do with the width of a computer screen!
Geeeez you chinese......

Thank you for your response. No worries, this request was already forwarded to our designated team for attention. For the latest news and updates, please stay tuned to our website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-1-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

hightidemedia@g Posted at 1-25 10:12
What an utterly silly answer. Do you not realize that virtually every pro-sumer DSLR shoots in a 3:2 aspect ratio? Doesn't matter what size or layout the sensor is. Every real estate website and vacation rental platform demands a 3:2 aspect ration, as does most social media. The fact that you don't want to offer a 3:2 choice in the Mavic 3 Classic (and Cine and 3) based on some silly sensor logic is indefensible. I don't want to crop in post - what I want is a 3:2 aspect choice on the drone's screen so what I see is what I get. It's a complete crap shoot what I get having to shoot 16:9 and/or 4:3

We totally understand your request. I will surely take note of this and include it in your suggestion. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-1-27
Use props
MaxP4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

The only drone I've had that was able to shoot 3:2 was the Inspire 2 (with the Zenmuse X7), all the others had only 4:3 and 16:9. I work mostly in the real estate area and it's never been a problem, in some cases it's even more convenient to crop and remove things that aren't of interest. But, surely, if there was a 3:2 option on the Mavic 3 as well, this would be welcome.
2023-1-29
Use props
hightidemedia
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

MaxP4 Posted at 1-29 01:09
The only drone I've had that was able to shoot 3:2 was the Inspire 2 (with the Zenmuse X7), all the others had only 4:3 and 16:9. I work mostly in the real estate area and it's never been a problem, in some cases it's even more convenient to crop and remove things that aren't of interest. But, surely, if there was a 3:2 option on the Mavic 3 as well, this would be welcome.

Just as an example, the Mavic 2 Pro shoots in 3:2 and the old Phantom 4 shot in 3:2
2023-1-29
Use props
MaxP4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

hightidemedia@g Posted at 1-29 05:19
Just as an example, the Mavic 2 Pro shoots in 3:2 and the old Phantom 4 shot in 3:2

I've had both the Phantom 4 and the Pro (great drones) but didn't remember this, but that's correct!
2023-1-30
Use props
griffdude13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53507 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark MaoGowan Posted at 1-24 17:47
Funny that.....every M4/3 camera I own, which is about 8, has the option to shoot at 3:2 and 4:3.....
The trouble today is fanboys and convenience lovers give too much power to corporations who make the unnecessary cutting of the corners and people like you lot applaud that......the iphone generation I call it, always waiting for the NEXT THING yet pay little attention the lack of features in the CURRENT THING....

Are you going to edit the photo in post? It takes 5 secs to crop the photo. It's not a big deal.
2023-1-30
Use props
Pastime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

hightidemedia@g Posted at 1-29 05:19

That's old yesterdays news
2023-1-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

MaxP4 Posted at 1-29 01:09
The only drone I've had that was able to shoot 3:2 was the Inspire 2 (with the Zenmuse X7), all the others had only 4:3 and 16:9. I work mostly in the real estate area and it's never been a problem, in some cases it's even more convenient to crop and remove things that aren't of interest. But, surely, if there was a 3:2 option on the Mavic 3 as well, this would be welcome.

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will be definitely cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-2-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-23 01:15
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will be definitely cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Your feedback will be definitely cascaded to the concerned team for further review.
Don't you get tired of copying and pasting the same thing again and again for every suggestion?
Has anything ever come back from the "concerned team"?
2023-2-23
Use props
iFlylikeafridge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2355823 ft
  • >>>
Romania

You need to educate yourself more about sensor formats. A 4/3 (Four Thirds) sensor like the one on the main camera of the DJI Mavic 3 is 4:3 ratio in it's full resolution. Of course DJI can add 3:2 ratio as a crop mode in the software, but that will cut from your full resolution of the sensor, same as the 16:9 ratio does.

"The Four Thirds system uses a 4:3 image aspect ratio, like compact digital cameras. In comparison, DSLRs usually adhere to the 3:2 aspect ratio of the traditional 35 mm format. Thus, "Four Thirds" refers to both the size and the aspect ratio of the sensor.[4]"

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Four_Thirds_system
2023-6-15
Use props
fansff75ddbc
lvl.2
United States

I just bought the Air 3 and it has the same issue, no 3:2 aspect ratio. I have 3 other DJI drones and several other cameras. They all shoot 3:2 aspect ratio.
I am a professional photographer and I go to great lengths to compose my pictures at the time the photo is taken.  When you do the volume of photos that I do, workflow is a major concern.
Without the ability to compose the images at the time of the time I take them, I doubt I will use the Air 3 as anything other than a backup. If Dji would allow me to letterbox the screen or add guides to the screen then I could batch-process the cropping later, but that does not appear to be an option either.

So while it may seem like just an inconvenience to some, it is a little more than that to me.  

I wish DJI would reconsider what seems to be a senseless decision to omit the 3:2 aspect ratio from the picture-taking options on some of their drones. It is and has been the professional standard for decades and if you are going to allow for the ability to take pictures in 16:9 you can certainly allow 3:2.

Dave

2023-9-10
Use props
fansff75ddbc
lvl.2
United States

Oops. Double posted
2023-9-10
Use props
BetterBizTech
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4502369 ft
  • >>>
United States

What an utterly silly answer. Do you not realize that virtually every pro-sumer DSLR shoots in a 3:2 aspect ratio? Doesn't matter what size or layout the sensor is. Every real estate website and vacation rental platform demands a 3:2 aspect ration, as does most social media. The fact that you don't want to offer a 3:2 choice in the Mavic 3 Classic (and Cine and 3) based on some silly sensor logic is indefensible. I don't want to crop in post - what I want is a 3:2 aspect choice on the drone's screen so what I see is what I get. It's a complete crap shoot what I get having to shoot 16:9 and/or 4:3

I think it's completely understandable to expect the same 4:3 ratio that you had on the 2 Pro.  No one wants to estimate a shot,and it's easy enough to add. I don't understand why they drop features that were there in the last model. When a new model comes out we shouldn't have to give up anything to get another.
2023-9-10
Use props
hightidemedia
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

You know, really all DJI has to do if they're so overly sensitive about they're precious four-thirds image beingb cropped in-camera is to make 3:2 guidelines on the screen. Then at least I could accuratly compose with the drone in the air rather having to purely GUESS where the 3:2 image lies within the four thirds composition. So damn simple.
2023-9-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

You do know you can crop 3:2 any where you want in the picture? No need to guess!
2023-9-11
Use props
hightidemedia
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer, are you saying these 3:2 guidelines already exist in the DJI Fly app somewhere?
2023-9-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

hightidemedia@g Posted at 9-11 07:02
Mobilehomer, are you saying these 3:2 guidelines already exist in the DJI Fly app somewhere?

No, I am saying that in post you can crop to any size you want at any place on the picture.
2023-9-11
Use props
hightidemedia
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer, I know I can do that, but that doesn't help me know exactly where the 3:2 crop lies on the iPad while I'm in the air. I still have to totally guess (I mean I've gotten really good at it by now) as to where the actual 3:2 image/crop lies on the screen while I'm in the air. If DJI just added the option of on screen guidelines for various different potential crops I'be happy. 1:1  3:2  4:3   16:9, etc etc...... thanks for trying help though, much appreciated!!   
2023-9-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

Really? Positioning the desired view in the center of the screen and cropping in post is too much? Do you have the gridlines turned on?
2023-9-11
Use props
hightidemedia
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

No, don't get me wrong... I have gotten really good at knowing intuitively wherein the overall screen the 3:2 section is...... but it is still never quite perfect; it's still essentially a guess. And frankly that's nothing more than an unnecessary work-around when it would be so simple for DJI to either give us a real 3:2 crop option or give us 3:2 guidelines on the screen.
2023-9-11
Use props
Rob_nj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79911 ft
Czechia

Absolutely agree!

And you should fix many other things.
For example no sharpens setting...

2023-9-12
Use props
DemolitionMan14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. The DJI Mavic 3 Classic only supports 4:3  and 16:9 photo ratio as these are the most common display screen, while the 3:2 is for a wider computer display screen. DJI consumer drones still follow the most common ratio display. I will also coordinate this suggestion of yours to our relevant team for attention. Please stay tuned on the DJI website for the latest news and updates. Thank you for your valued support. support.

3:2 is the industry standard in photo for decades.  It is the ratio of 35mm film/sensor.  I would rather DJI provide Frame Guides for photos mode like they just released for video modes.  I would take it a step further and do as Canon did.  The Canon EOS R5 has different crop ratio options.  When I enable anything but 3:2 (35mm) it provides frame guides on the EVF and LCD.  It saves full readout but when I import to Lightroom it automatically applies the selected crop of the camera.  You can then go to crop fuction and select "Original" and it shows the full readout with no crop applied.  You can then enable "As Shot" mode and it reapplies the crop from the camera.  
2023-9-12
Use props
troar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3838556 ft
  • >>>
United States

Couldn’t agree more. I need to see the 3:2 frame so I can compose my shots. Hopefully this will be included in a firmware update soon. I’d also like to able to use the wheels or dpad to adjust aperture and shutter.
2023-9-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 9-12 06:54
3:2 is the industry standard in photo for decades.  It is the ratio of 35mm film/sensor.  I would rather DJI provide Frame Guides for photos mode like they just released for video modes.  I would take it a step further and do as Canon did.  The Canon EOS R5 has different crop ratio options.  When I enable anything but 3:2 (35mm) it provides frame guides on the EVF and LCD.  It saves full readout but when I import to Lightroom it automatically applies the selected crop of the camera.  You can then go to crop fuction and select "Original" and it shows the full readout with no crop applied.  You can then enable "As Shot" mode and it reapplies the crop from the camera.

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will definitely be cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Your understanding is highly appreciated.
2023-9-14
Use props
Max de Winter
lvl.1

Netherlands

All DSLR camera s are 3:2..I sold DJI Mavic 3 classic and I keep my old DJI mavic 2 pro with 3:2
2-14 03:27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules