2896 36 2015-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Viper989
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891194 ft
Canada

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody as ever recover from a CSC mid-air ?

So if a CSC stops the motors , it's also the same maneuver that starts them up .

If you're to do an accidental CSC mid-air , would doing a manual motor startup while the craft is free falling make the P3X recover ? Obviously , you need to be at a somewhat high altitude , otherwise you'll run out of time/space to recover

In theory it makes sense , but i'm not willing to try it on purpose . But knowing it would possible , would be less of a panic in case of an accidental CSC .

2015-8-17
Use props
axidify
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2867146 ft
Malaysia

not sure if the motors are strong enough to recover from a freefall. but then again i've never tried it lol.
2015-8-17
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

if it happens you would try a restart so no need to test it I guess
2015-8-17
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Apparently people have tried it in the sim and it worked at a higher-than-legal altitude. Whether it would work in the air or not, l've never heard of anyone's quick-thinking recovery - only crashes.
2015-8-17
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

have previously wondered this myself, using the simulator will allow it to be done at 75m+ but you have to give it full lift as soon as you restart.
2015-8-17
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

this has been discussed several times, but yes its possible in the sim, I've done it my self....would i ever risk a $1000 piece of equipment to get it down faster, absolutely not.
2015-8-17
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

I was not authorized to review a threat regarding a CSC engine stop in-flight then restarting the engine.
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-18 00:39
I was not authorized to review a threat regarding a CSC engine stop in-flight then restarting the en ...

hopefully they are coming to their senses that the same sticks that are used to fly is a very un intuitive way to kill motors, there are plenty of other options to kill motors. i tried stopping my car with the same mentality of DJI CSC, it worked just fine, i put it in reverse gave it full gas and turned the steering wheel, it stopped alright, once it hit a tree!! so next time i tried pushing the brake pedal and the hand brake at same time, it also stopped and i didnt hit a tree!!
You seem to be a heli pilot, would you feel safe flying using your flight controls to kill your engine?
2015-8-17
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

It works... in the simulator ! (Don't want to try with my P3)
2015-8-17
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3

Colombia

There was no need to have a helicopter flight control movement kill the engine because a million guys were trying to do it another way.

I'm not sure DJI will change CSC.  Its never been a factor for me but the issue remains that some have accidentally cut their engine in mid-flight.  I'm sure there are some great DJI engineers looking at this since they are testing an restart in flight.  Well maybe they are.

Just got back from flying.  I'm not much of a photographer but I do like to make my DJI dance!
2015-8-17
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

DJI needs to re-assess the purpose of a CSC shutoff.
I can't think of many situations where the day would be saved due to shutting off the motors with a CSC.
Seems like the vast majority of times if a CSC shutdown was needed, the Phantom would be out of range or unresponsive to controls in the first place.
A shielded button or switch with a flip up cover (rather than delegating a CSC to the same sticks for control) would be a much better solution.

It hasn't been a factor for me....."so far"....but once is one time too many.
2015-8-17
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3

Colombia

Let's see what they do with future firmware and how the new DJI4 Remote Controller functions.
2015-8-17
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2015-8-18 06:12
I can't think of many situations where the day  ...

i have used CSC several times to shutdown  the motors when I  crash my drone into various obstacles that suddenly appeared out of nowhere..  ok... ok..OK!   all accidents were my fault... I admit.  No shame here, all about learning.  One time was on it's side beating my siding to death,  CSC is a drone and prop saving device (not to mention hands!)  if done quickly.  I never shutdown that way after a normal flight just so I don't hard-wire that in my brain when flying. CSC needs to STAY!
2015-8-17
Use props
Viper989
lvl.4
Canada

I'm not saying  DJI should get rid of the CSC . It's definitely needed in case of emergency . But have only one way to do it , inward , outward i don't care , but just one . And it shouldn't be the same procedure to start the motors .

But , in theory , we could regain control mid flight after an accidental CSC if high enough .
2015-8-17
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

lt would be nice to have a one second delay so that a very quick oops could be cancelled before dropping out of the sky.
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Viper989 Posted at 2015-8-18 08:02
I'm not saying  DJI should get rid of the CSC . It's definitely needed in case of emergency . But ha ...

how about not with the control sticks all together, there are plenty of other options!!!
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-8-18 06:58
i have used CSC several times to shutdown  the motors when I  crash my drone into various obstacles ...

absolutely it needs to stay but there are other safer ways to have a csc that does not use the same flight controls that one uses to fly!!!
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

hallelujah, finally some one who agrees!!
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-18 05:21
There was no need to have a helicopter flight control movement kill the engine because a million guy ...

i understand that there were others trying to do that for you, and i am glad they didnt succeed.
all i am saying is:
there is a need to be able to cut engine off in an emergency, absolutely no doubt, but there are other various buttons on the rc that could do the job and they are not used to fly so therefore one minimizes the chances of doing csc while flying. if it saves only a handful of dji p3 then is it not worth it? we still would have csc but in a different format.
2015-8-17
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

How about " in case of emergency, break glass" LOL
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-18 08:56
How about " in case of emergency, break glass" LOL

nah, cuz DJI then would have to supply a little hammer!!
2015-8-17
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3

Colombia

Interesting statistics:
1.  How much has DJI grown in the last 3 years?
2.  What were estimated sales from last year?
3.  What are estimated sales projected to be this year?
4.  How many employees work for DJI?
5.  What share of the world drone market does DJI own?
6.  Will DJI change the CSC shut down procedure?
You have to put the answers in the correct order but its easy:  Maybe on the DJI4 or 5;  70;  500,000,000;  1,000;  1,000,000,000;  7,900

DJI is here to stay even if their CSC procedure and customer service needs improvement.
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-18 09:40
Interesting statistics:
1.  How much has DJI grown in the last 3 years?
2.  What were estimated sale ...

oh i absolutely agree that dji is here to stay and i want them to stay because i have total confidence in their product and if i dont like, or better said disagree on a feature on it, does not mean that i dont support DJI.
i understand their CS issue is to their astronomical growth and since i love their product i will support them any way i can. my issue on the way CSC is implemented is just a point of view and should not be construed as a negative point on the P3.
one way i can and do support DJI is by reading the manual, researching the internet and this forum so i am aware of all things regarding my P3 so i dont add to the repair line and then blame dji for my mistake. that is why when i crashed my P3 due to not having read and understood the manual fully regarding CSC, i just went and bought another instead of putting the blame on DJI and making negative comments. I truly hope no one takes my comments on CSC as a negative view on DJI, it is just a different point of view on that part of the engineering.
I am certain that they will iron out their CS and technical help desks within the next year, i am also  certain that if people read the manual and familiarized themselves with their P3 we would not be having the long repair line and CS issues, I dont think DJI anticipated people's lack of patience to take p3 out of the box and start flying without any knowledge, crashing them  and then blaming dji and want free repair!!!
oh i am rambling, bye
2015-8-17
Use props
Viper989
lvl.4
Canada

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-18 08:20
how about not with the control sticks all together, there are plenty of other options!!!

I agree  . If they can put a RTH button , they could do the same with an added button . Do a combination of the button and a stick .
Better , 2 buttons combo . one below each stick , outside the existing ones ; simultanious press
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Viper989 Posted at 2015-8-18 10:30
I agree  . If they can put a RTH button , they could do the same with an added button . Do a combi ...

they dont even have to add any, just in the FW designate a combination of any two other buttons, just not the two that are used to fly!!
2015-8-17
Use props
Calvette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103222 ft
United States

If you do CSC shutoff while in flight be sure and give it full power after you do a CSC restart in mid air!  Try it from 400 feet or higher in the simulator.
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Calvette Posted at 2015-8-18 11:50
If you do CSC shutoff while in flight be sure and give it full power after you do a CSC restart in m ...

better still change csc away from flight controls to two other buttons so this does not keep happening to people who have not read the manual especially the part on csc. because i doubt very much once you start the motors it would have enough lift to combat terminal velocity!!! i dont know i may be totally wrong,
2015-8-17
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3

Colombia

Maybe CSC has a place on the sticks, maybe not.  Here's one pilots experience:  
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

here is a video, maybe it will answer questions regarding restarting  motors after a csc has been initiated.

2015-8-26
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-18 20:33
Maybe CSC has a place on the sticks, maybe not.  Here's one pilots experience:  https://www.youtube. ...

do u think doing compass calibration on the beach may have had something to do with it? iron or ferrous content??
just throwing ideas out there
2015-8-26
Use props
alecsbains
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14245 ft
Canada

The best way to avoid an in-flight CSC in my opinion is to adopt a policy that we follow in conventional aircraft as well. Never ever use full deflection of the flight controls (aerobatics would be the exception). In a real aircraft, this can overstress the airframe. In a drone, it can lead to CSC's and other mishaps (usually as a result of overcontrolling). An added benefit is you might just capture smoother footage by avoiding the controller stops.
2015-8-27
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

Tried it in the sim about 10 times. It took the phantom between 250 and 350 feet to recover each time. I would like to know if someone ever tries this real world
2015-8-27
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI knows what they are doing and CSC should be left as is. It has been the standard since the P1. Proficient flyers never accidently trigger CSC and the chances of triggering during flight is rare. Adding a standalone button will increase the chances of killing the motors in mid flight. And adding a button + CSC will slow the emergency shutdown of motors. I can guarantee that you will fumble looking for the button and then getting back on the sticks to shut down. By then, a child may have lost 10 fingers instead of 1.
2015-8-27
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

http://forum.dji.com/thread-28970-1-1.html
2015-8-27
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer