This is the BEST bicycle handlebar mount!
123Next >
2554 88 2023-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I have a coupla handlebar mounts for my bicycle, like that ones below. The RAM Mount, with rubber ball head, and the Telesin. Both of them are nice, well built units. However, the problem I have with these and similar mounts that extend a certain distance (up or down) from the handlebar is that the camera is shaking like crazy when you bike on rough roads, any bumps, tram lines, various cobble stones, cracked asphalt, and other damaged surfaces. Sure, the camera has very good stabilization, but still. Many times the camera was shaking so bad I started to worry despite I always bike slowly and more carefully on such surfaces.

handlebar mounts.jpg

Recently, just before Xmas, I purchased one of these little mounts (below). I kid you not. This is one of the BEST mounts for your camera! Finally we got some sun and 53 degrees outside, so I gave it a try today. Unbelievable! This little aluminum-alloy mount is exceptional! Bumps, tram lines, broken concrete/asphalt surfaces cobble stones, you name it, the camera is rock steady! So if you are a biker, I can highly recommend it. Costs only a few pennies. Got it form AliExpress for like $3 USD with free shipping, but seen it on Amazon, too, for more. It comes with a little wrench, which is much better than a GoPro thumb screw. You tighten it with the wrench and that thing will simply not move!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000820168822.html

best mount.jpg
2023-1-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

i have the first one and you will need to crank down and crank further just to prevent from slipping, otherwise it is good  the yall are  basically the same company under diff names,  
2023-1-7
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Looks good. I'm using this one since a couple of days and seems to be also really good.

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005004854336164.html
2023-1-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I like the design of the 3rd one and you can't beat the price either.  
2023-1-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks good!
2023-1-8
Use props
Rusev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 461985 ft
United States

I`m using the 3rd one from very long time and its great and cheap for MTB, others will shake and move.
2023-1-9
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

Telesin quick.mount rattle  intern mic

IMG_20230210_101823.jpg
2023-2-10
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

love to hear how that smallrig  sounds on that cobblestone.   the nylon looks good to stiffen the hold
2023-2-10
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

lutzmix Posted at 2-10 03:55

You have the old mount. The new mount doesn't rattle.

2023-2-10
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

Fishycomics Posted at 2-10 04:30
love to hear how that smallrig  sounds on that cobblestone.   the nylon looks good to stiffen the hold

soud with wave mic
setup step4 on mic and 10db cam

2023-2-10
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

lutzmix Posted at 2-10 06:17
soud with wave mic
setup step4 on mic and 10db cam

thanks.     sounds like a nice wireless mic, always had my eye on it. I am pleased with mine.  wind sound was good not the best, so maybe a mic muff if  asked.   maybe I should just buy a 3.5mm plug for my other wireless mic the rode, thinking.  Rather not keep investing, I can get a camera with all the wasted funds if you get my meaning Lol

thanks again great job enjoyed the sounds
2023-2-10
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

osmonauta Posted at 2-10 04:40
You have the old mount. The new mount doesn't rattle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGbtC8zhIrE
I use the Telesin adapter for OA3
IMG_20230214_084454.jpg
2023-2-13
Use props
Helmut Ruch
lvl.3
Germany

lutzmix Posted at 2-10 03:55

Dieses Flattern der Magnethalterung sollte doch bei der OA3 nicht mehr passieren...

Zum Vergleich die Osmo Action 1 auf Münsters historischem Kopfsteinpflaster:

Eine Beschreibung der "Kamerahalterung" ist in der Videobeschreibung verlinkt.
2023-2-14
Use props
Robox
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343727 ft
Russia

This is the best:
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32961368378.html

2023-2-14
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Robox Posted at 2-14 05:47
This is the best:
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32961368378.html

That's "almost" the best. I have that one, too (not the light stand, just the stem mount), that is good, too, but the minor issue is that it is dead centered. The camera doesn't have the lens right at the center, so when you mount it on the stem, the lens will be about an inch to the left. And when the lens is not in the center, this will have a more pronounced effect when you are making turns. Not too much, of course.

That's why I prefer the ring mount because you can mount it on the left or right side of the stem (depending on where the camera lens is) and you can offset it so the lens is perfectly aligned with the center of the stem.

Yes, I'm just too picky :-)
2023-2-14
Use props
Robox
lvl.4
Russia

osmonauta Posted at 2-14 07:41
That's "almost" the best. I have that one, too (not the light stand, just the stem mount), that is good, too, but the minor issue is that it is dead centered. The camera doesn't have the lens right at the center, so when you mount it on the stem, the lens will be about an inch to the left. And when the lens is not in the center, this will have a more pronounced effect when you are making turns. Not too much, of course.

That's why I prefer the ring mount because you can mount it on the left or right side of the stem (depending on where the camera lens is) and you can offset it so the lens is perfectly aligned with the center of the stem.

Before tightening the bolts, the mount has a slight play, which is enough to correct the position.
2023-2-15
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Robox Posted at 2-15 07:45
Before tightening the bolts, the mount has a slight play, which is enough to correct the position.

Yes, I'm aware of it, but the lens was still not centered, so I preferred the ring.
2023-2-15
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

you have many options not only one is the best
IMG_20201217_143050.jpg
IMG_20201217_143111.jpg
IMG_20201217_143953.jpg
IMG_20220131_090856.jpg
2023-2-15
Use props
Robox
lvl.4
Russia

osmonauta Posted at 2-15 08:30
Yes, I'm aware of it, but the lens was still not centered, so I preferred the ring.

aluminum adapter
https://aliexpress.ru/item/4001076861769.html
2023-2-15
Use props
Robox
lvl.4
Russia

Remember: The stiffer the mount and the shorter it is and the closer it is to the steering wheel, the less parasitic vibrations will be.
2023-2-15
Use props
craig noble
New

Australia

Looking for bar mount  for my harley has 43mm bar any recommendations?
2-24 13:29
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

craig noble Posted at 2-24 13:29
Looking for bar mount  for my harley has 43mm bar any recommendations?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=harley+gopro+mount

I'm sure you can find these on Amazon or other places:
https://rammount.com/collections ... _and_condition=true
2-24 14:40
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I thought that some kind of dampening material or shock absorber would be a must to smoothen the vibrations for these. I have tried a couple with my Pocket 2, but it has seemt like the ones I have have problems on bumpy roads. So far, my best results have been with a chest harness mount.
2-25 13:34
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I think the vibrations are more of an issue if your mount is too high. Motorcycles, ATVs, and such already have shocks, and so do some mountain bikes. I have a fitness bike which doesn't have shocks. I use the mount I posted first at the top. When I cross railroad or tram tracks, cracks, small potholes (roads in Hungary are terrible) you cannot even see a bump in the footage. But if I change to a mount that extends 4-5 inches or higher, the camera starts shaking badly in those situations.
2-25 13:49
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

osmonauta Posted at 2-25 13:49
I think the vibrations are more of an issue if your mount is too high. Motorcycles, ATVs, and such already have shocks, and so do some mountain bikes. I have a fitness bike which doesn't have shocks. I use the mount I posted first at the top. When I cross railroad or tram tracks, cracks, small potholes (roads in Hungary are terrible) you cannot even see a bump in the footage. But if I change to a mount that extends 4-5 inches or higher, the camera starts shaking badly in those situations.

So in this case, the first thing to try would be to try a mounting system that places the camera closer to the handlebar and the mount? In my earlier tests, the Pocket 2 was pretty high, as it was mounted from the tripod thread (which proved to be a very bad idea for other reasons as well).
2-25 14:02
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

For my bike type, definitely the shorter the mount is the better. Like this (or anything similar). Lutzmix has also posted some photos of this.

I don't have a motorycycle so I can't speak for that. Some use windshields which might interfere with handlebar placement. But yes, I tend to use a neckmount more often because placing the camera on a handlebar can result in quick, jerky movements (especially when making hyperlapses) if you keep yanking the handles left/right when turning. Neck mount works surprisingly well. Even on rough roads when the camera flying in your neck, the footage is exceptionally smooth. Neck mount might not be the best choice for mountain biking but for road/gravel it definitely works.
2-25 14:39
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I ride a pedal bike, most the time its in my hand   moto wolf is  the brand a lot of searching from the Insta 360 One X3 cameras.. maybe wath some youtube vids and see what they use as well.

just a vid on one of the mounts shown above the main post  the left with the Ubolt, once  cranked down on the U, only  need to set the  two gimbals, make sure if you decide on it, its not plastic the gimbals

I go over some  soft ground, in the vid faced forward. I  like  a  shot that is not on the handle bars as  we tend to   being steeering I personally hold my camera, NOT on a motorcycle

2-26 05:46
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I have been thinking maybe getting this one, and think the rubber will help a lot + easy to install on handlebar

https://www.telesin-store.com/telesin-elastic-small-q-handlebar-mount-p1177.html
telesin.jpg
2-27 00:56
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

johansenfoto Posted at 2-27 00:56
I have been thinking maybe getting this one, and think the rubber will help a lot + easy to install on handlebar

I have seen that a few days ago in their store and made me wonder whoever invented that, I am sure they never had a bicycle, let alone a camera on it. It might work in Colorado or other places where the asphalt is super smooth, like a ping pong table. I guarantee as soon as you hit a tiny bump, the camera will tilt forwards or backwards.
I have a bike light that you attach to the handlebar with the same (or very similar) method. The light is a little lighter than the camera. Yet, due to the unevenness of the road, the light keeps tilting backwards/forwards and I have to keep adjusting it. Complete rubbish. So buy it with care.
2-27 01:55
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Stand clear of the rubber over time it will   just fail.   with  certain clamps you are given rubber strips, and yes they will give as well, and slip. you need to invest in a better clamp like the U-bolts over the   crank down IMHO. and keep to a  metal gimbal or aluminum   holder all together.

2-27 04:56
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 2-27 01:55
I have seen that a few days ago in their store and made me wonder whoever invented that, I am sure they never had a bicycle, let alone a camera on it. It might work in Colorado or other places where the asphalt is super smooth, like a ping pong table. I guarantee as soon as you hit a tiny bump, the camera will tilt forwards or backwards.
I have a bike light that you attach to the handlebar with the same (or very similar) method. The light is a little lighter than the camera. Yet, due to the unevenness of the road, the light keeps tilting backwards/forwards and I have to keep adjusting it. Complete rubbish. So buy it with care.

I actually ordered it just after I posted it here, will try it out on my atv and will let you guys know.

Fish: Maybe you can MacGyver something with U-bolt for fasten on handle bar? You fix so much things
2-27 07:23
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

An ATV is not the same as a bicycle. It doesn’t matter how it would perform on an ATV, it would not have the same performance on a bicycle (or vice versa). You are riding on 6 inch thick tires with shocks. How would that even compare to riding on a 1 inch tire with no shocks?
2-27 09:34
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

osmonauta Posted at 2-25 14:39
For my bike type, definitely the shorter the mount is the better. Like this (or anything similar). Lutzmix has also posted some photos of this.

[view_image]

Thanks for your five cents, I guess I ought to look a bit closer to this when the spring arrives and I can get my bicycle out from the storage.

I don't have a motorcycle either, so no idea how that would perform there in practice. I do suspect that the vibrations of the engine and the riding surfaces, combined with the possible wiggle of the camera (in Pocket 2's case) caused by the wind would result in less-than-optimal image. So an action camera is more likely to perform better there.
2-27 15:04
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

HGDC84 Posted at 2-27 15:04
Thanks for your five cents, I guess I ought to look a bit closer to this when the spring arrives and I can get my bicycle out from the storage.

I don't have a motorcycle either, so no idea how that would perform there in practice. I do suspect that the vibrations of the engine and the riding surfaces, combined with the possible wiggle of the camera (in Pocket 2's case) caused by the wind would result in less-than-optimal image. So an action camera is more likely to perform better there.

You should count it again. It was exactly 8 pennies. :-)
2-27 15:09
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

osmonauta Posted at 2-27 15:09
You should count it again. It was exactly 8 pennies. :-)

Heh, I see what you did there. But did you take the conversion rate into consideration? And which currencies are we talking about?
2-27 15:11
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Ummm, I was paying in Pesos. I had no idea it lost so much value in 3 days.
2-27 15:44
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

osmonauta Posted at 2-27 15:44
Ummm, I was paying in Pesos. I had no idea it lost so much value in 3 days.

It could depend on which currency the cents are in. Euros and US Dollars both have cents, probably many other currencies as well. But maybe I'm not the right person to ask about them, I just got carried away with the joke.
2-27 15:50
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 2-27 07:23
I actually ordered it just after I posted it here, will try it out on my atv and will let you guys know.

Fish: Maybe you can MacGyver something with U-bolt for fasten on handle bar? You fix so much things

the one I got works fine the U-bolt sys i have   since last year
2-27 16:20
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Ah doesn't matter what we use  hand held and on the bike, across boards, a lil slip,  I got my story

2-27 16:24
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Fishycomics Posted at 2-27 16:24
Ah doesn't matter what we use  hand held and on the bike, across boards, a lil slip,  I got my story

You either have a bad mount or it's not tight enough. The one I posted doesn't slip. And I went through some rough surfaces with it quite a few times in a year.

PS: Private videos cannot be seen by 3rd parties.
2-27 16:56
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules