12Next >
2074 49 2023-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cacike47
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3230748 ft

United States

Watching the River traffic along the NY Hudson River heading South.

DJI_0402_The Pusher.JPG
DJI_0405 Pushing South to NYC Harbor.JPG
2023-1-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's a great close-up shot of the barge being pushed along by the small boat. I guess that kind of propulsion is common on the big rivers?
2023-1-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I do love a boat chase,  nice.    Now is this close to where the plane landed?
2023-1-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice shots Cacike.    With matching colors I assume the boat and barge must belong to the same company.  
2023-1-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

All the gear on top of the barge reminds me somewhat of a petroleum related configuration.   Any ideas as to what that barge is used for?
2023-1-8
Use props
Depp
Captain
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Interesting - I'd like to know how they steer the first part...
2023-1-8
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8533 ft

United Kingdom

Those boats look a long way out.   
2023-1-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice captures!
2023-1-8
Use props
ciaranmcorcoran
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2204134 ft

United States

Wow amazing boat shot
2023-1-8
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

That boat-pushing-a-barge solution looks interesting, can't remember seeing similar ones too often. Seems like purpose-built? Well spotted!
2023-1-9
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

Blériot53 Posted at 1-8 00:01
That's a great close-up shot of the barge being pushed along by the small boat. I guess that kind of propulsion is common on the big rivers?

Yes, you are correct most of the times they are pushing but once in every maybe ten? it will be pulling the barge.
2023-1-9
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-8 02:16
I do love a boat chase,  nice.    Now is this close to where the plane landed?

No, it's approximately 40-50 miles North. I remember that day for sure.
2023-1-9
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

Thanks
2023-1-9
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

Thanks Montfrooij
2023-1-9
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-8 07:28
Those boats look a long way out.

The Hudson River is pretty wide although at this point it's not at it's widest
2023-1-9
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

Depp Posted at 1-8 05:05
Interesting - I'd like to know how they steer the first part...

That's an good question!
2023-1-9
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-8 05:00
All the gear on top of the barge reminds me somewhat of a petroleum related configuration.   Any ideas as to what that barge is used for?

I don't know but I would agree that it probably carries fuel or some other fluids. considering the amount of fuel consumed in a city like NY, it would make sense.
2023-1-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cacike47 Posted at 1-9 08:39
Yes, you are correct most of the times they are pushing but once in every maybe ten? it will be pulling the barge.

Yeah, the stern of the barge is shaped to fit the bows of the pusher.
2023-1-9
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-8 04:58
Very nice shots Cacike.    With matching colors I assume the boat and barge must belong to the same company.

Definitely make sense that it's the same company. This spring, I think I will try and post some of the large freighters that pass by my location. It's all about the right place and the right time. Thanks Downtown
2023-1-9
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Cacike47 Posted at 1-9 09:10
The Hudson River is pretty wide although at this point it's not at it's widest

Wow.  That’s a big river then.
2023-1-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cacike47 Posted at 1-9 09:07
No, it's approximately 40-50 miles North. I remember that day for sure.

Jeez.  Then the Hudson is longer than I realised.    The whole story of that day was quite annoying.  He did a great job getting everyone down safe but then he got dragged through it be wise they thought he did the wrong things.    Glad he won that.
2023-1-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome.
2023-1-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Cacike47 Posted at 1-9 09:13
I don't know but I would agree that it probably carries fuel or some other fluids. considering the amount of fuel consumed in a city like NY, it would make sense.

I couldn't even hesitate a guess as to how much fuel is consumed in NYC.  I'd have to bet it would be many, many of these barges everyday though.
2023-1-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Cacike47 Posted at 1-9 09:18
Definitely make sense that it's the same company. This spring, I think I will try and post some of the large freighters that pass by my location. It's all about the right place and the right time.  Thanks Downtown

You're very welcome.   

Got to agree with you about being in the right place at the right time.  Sometimes luck plays in but not always.  
2023-1-9
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-9 09:39
Wow.  That’s a big river then.

Prez' I took this photo in 2021 to show the river's width at my location. The Hudson River is 3.59 miles (5,700m) at (Town of Haverstraw NY) it's widest point which happens to be the general area I fly. Haverstraw Bay is located roughly 32 nautical miles upstream from Manhattan. That's the NYC skyline faintly showing.
2023-1-9
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-9 14:02
I couldn't even hesitate a guess as to how much fuel is consumed in NYC.  I'd have to bet it would be many, many of these barges everyday though.

Don't forget the numerous barges loaded with coal for the old time furnaces. It's a big appetite to fill with 8.8 million people and growing!
2023-1-9
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-9 14:03
You're very welcome.   

Got to agree with you about being in the right place at the right time.  Sometimes luck plays in but not always.

It took me two years before I got the courage to cross the Hudson at my usual fly spot which is only a mile across to neighboring Piermont Point in Rockland County NY. It was a milestone for me and I got home so relieved that I made it back. I knew what the specs' were but it still took awhile to try it. LOL
2023-1-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Cacike47 Posted at 1-9 15:47
Don't forget the numerous barges loaded with coal for the old time furnaces. It's a big appetite to fill with 8.8 million people and growing!

Yep, can't forget the coal.  Needed to burn for heat but sure pollutes the ozone.  
2023-1-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Cacike47 Posted at 1-9 15:53
It took me two years before I got the courage to cross the Hudson at my usual fly spot which is only a mile across to neighboring Piermont Point in Rockland County NY. It was a milestone for me and I got home so relieved that I made it back. I knew what the specs' were but it still took awhile to try it. LOL
[view_image]

That was a great mile stone for sure.  I do a lot of scuba diving and I can tell you that in a local lake I recovered somebody's lost Phantom 4 and a Mavic 2 Zoom.  The Phantom 4 had a broken prop so not sure if that was what caused the crash or it broke in the crash.  The Mavic 2 Zoom didn't appear to have any external damages so either pilot error or battery died.  

Anyway, like you I'm always careful around water.  I have to be as I live on a boat and hand launch/recover from the boat.  I'm fairly confident in my flying skills but there is always a concern for the unknown occurring.  For this reason I always try to minimize any events from happening by doing a thorough pre-flight.  
2023-1-9
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-9 16:04
That was a great mile stone for sure.  I do a lot of scuba diving and I can tell you that in a local lake I recovered somebody's lost Phantom 4 and a Mavic 2 Zoom.  The Phantom 4 had a broken prop so not sure if that was what caused the crash or it broke in the crash.  The Mavic 2 Zoom didn't appear to have any external damages so either pilot error or battery died.  

Anyway, like you I'm always careful around water.  I have to be as I live on a boat and hand launch/recover from the boat.  I'm fairly confident in my flying skills but there is always a concern for the unknown occurring.  For this reason I always try to minimize any events from happening by doing a thorough pre-flight.

I had a similar experience in fall 2021 when I sent my drone for a repair after a clumsy meeting with a 100 foot tree. I was trying to use a glove for the cold that is designed for my RC Planes. I stubbornly wanted to use it incorrectly, resulting in having to send it in for repair. Now here is where it gets interesting.
DJI sent me back a replacement that had a bad motor. So guess where my first flight landed? Yep, in the good old Hudson River.
Luckily I always have two videos going. My telemetry provided the proof needed to get it repaired without cost.

So anytime you want to bring your scuba gear here, we can try to dredge up that drone. Although trying to scuba in that river I would assume is very dangerous.

We'll just leave there then.
2023-1-10
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Cacike47 Posted at 1-9 15:42
Prez' I took this photo in 2021 to show the river's width at my location. The Hudson River is 3.59 miles (5,700m) at (Town of Haverstraw NY) it's widest point which happens to be the general area I fly. Haverstraw Bay is located roughly 32 nautical miles upstream from Manhattan. That's the NYC skyline faintly showing.
[view_image]

That’s a long way to the bug apple.
2023-1-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Cacike47 Posted at 1-10 10:34
I had a similar experience in fall 2021 when I sent my drone for a repair after a clumsy meeting with a 100 foot tree. I was trying to use a glove for the cold that is designed for my RC Planes. I stubbornly wanted to use it incorrectly, resulting in having to send it in for repair. Now here is where it gets interesting.
DJI sent me back a replacement that had a bad motor. So guess where my first flight landed? Yep, in the good old Hudson River.
Luckily I always have two videos going. My telemetry provided the proof needed to get it repaired without cost.

I'm always up for a challenging dive.   

A retired diver buddy of mine dove in the Hudson River near Yonkers about 6 years back  The story he tells is that his drysuit, gloves and face mask had a smell to them for a year afterwards.  He was known for boasting a lot so not sure how much of that story he told was true.  
2023-1-10
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-10 13:21
I'm always up for a challenging dive.   

A retired diver buddy of mine dove in the Hudson River near Yonkers about 6 years back  The story he tells is that his drysuit, gloves and face mask had a smell to them for a year afterwards.  He was known for boasting a lot so not sure how much of that story he told was true.

Actually, I would believe him, I was born and raised in Manhattan and as kids we used to go to the edge of the river to look for crabs. That water stunk back in the 60's and they may of cleaned it some but I think that smell he mentioned may still be around a little bit.
2023-1-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Cacike47 Posted at 1-10 14:30
Actually, I would believe him, I was born and raised in Manhattan and as kids we used to go to the edge of the river to look for crabs. That water stunk back in the 60's and they may of cleaned it some but I think that smell he mentioned may still be around a little bit.

Dang, I guess he wasn't kidding me then.  
2023-1-11
Use props
AeroNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232844 ft
United States

The first image is fun, lots of detail to scan. Thanks for sharing these.
2023-1-12
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

AeroNW Posted at 1-12 16:51
The first image is fun, lots of detail to scan. Thanks for sharing these.

Aero, You are most welcomed
2023-1-16
Use props
JerseyShoreFPVFlyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Really like how the colors in the aqua deck pop!  Very nice.
2023-1-20
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4

United States

JerseyShoreFPVFlyer Posted at 1-20 12:43
Really like how the colors in the aqua deck pop!  Very nice.

Thanks,
2023-1-21
Use props
Rogue1Tello
lvl.1

United States

Those are nice shots
2023-2-24
Use props
Cacike47
lvl.4