Tilt/Pitch control: reverse switch needed please
3139 32 2023-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
Flight distance : 218002 ft
United States

I recently purchased a DJI Mini 3 Pro with the DJI RC. This adds to my DJI Mini 2 with N1.

The DJI RC has the same problem as the DJI N1 controller, in that the control for gimbal pitch/tilt is backwards, and there is no switch or option in software to reverse the direction of the control.

The DJI RC also has a finger dial on both left and the right of the control, and there is also no option to switch the dial from the left over to the right and vice versa, which is also a feature that would be most welcome.

We, your customers, need an option to change the direction of the tilt/pitch control for the camera gimbal.

The up/down gimbal tilt/pitch control on the DJI RC controller is backwards, at least for what is intuitive for many of us, and I noticed that a number of others have brought up this issue in the past, and yet there's been no action from DJI. It is utterly annoying, and I've ruined more than one shot due to the reverse-from-intuitive action of the tilt wheel.

For what it's worth I am also I am also a part 61 pilot (single engine land). In a manned aircraft, you PUSH the yoke to pitch down and PULL the yoke to pitch up. But with the gimbal wheel on the left, you have to PUSH with your finger to pitch UP. The opposite of what is intuitve for any pilot, and probably non-pilots as well.

This is also the case of a camera on a tripod: pushing the camera will cause it to tilt down, pulling causes it to tilt up. This is intuitive and obvious yet the DJI controllers tilt control is the opposite of this, and it is completely counterintuitive. All that is needed to help your customers, is to provide a switch in software to allow us to reverse the direction of the control.

All that is needed is a software switch to change direction of operation.

This is a significant problem, and also discussed here https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=277682

Thank you for reading,

Andy
2023-1-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This has been requested many many many many times. Which probably indicates DJI's response.
That said might I suggest you consider what you do when you put something up on to a high shelf, you push it up and pull it down. I don't how how others move their gimbal dial but I push mine in one direction and pull it in the other, so thinking to myself "push up, pull down" gives me the desired direction of pitch change.
2023-1-8
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

If the Drone is hanging in one place, then pressing the "up" stick will raise it. And it would be strange if he started to descend.
An airplane and a drone are devices that are different in terms of control and flight.
2023-1-8
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

In airplanes, the sticks control the wings. In the drone - engines.
2023-1-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drone.Hunter Posted at 1-8 07:50
If the Drone is hanging in one place, then pressing the "up" stick will raise it. And it would be strange if he started to descend.
An airplane and a drone are devices that are different in terms of control and flight.

He's concerned about the gimbal's pitch dial, not the joy stick.
2023-1-8
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-8 08:49
He's concerned about the gimbal's pitch dial, not the joy stick.

Thanks you.

2023-1-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

It is NOT "wrong". It is that you are not accustomed to it. Just remember, as Sean-Bumble-Bee said, up is up, down is down.
2023-1-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-8 10:42
It is NOT "wrong". It is that you are not accustomed to it. Just remember, as Sean-Bumble-Bee said, up is up, down is down.

But why not make it an option in the app to let us choose wich way we like the best ?
Probably 3 lines of code to change....
Cannot understand why DJI doesn`t add this to the FlyApp, easu way to keep the customer happy

Nothting to do with right or wrong etc.

cheers
JJB
2023-1-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 1-8 11:56
But why not make it an option in the app to let us choose wich way we like the best ?
Cannot understand why DJI doesn`t add this to the FlyApp, easu way to keep the customer happy

Option would be fine. But many people from the fixed-wing arena are calling the way it is now "wrong". That is my point. It is not wrong.
2023-1-8
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-8 12:38
Option would be fine. But many people from the fixed-wing arena are calling the way it is now "wrong". That is my point. It is not wrong.

Not just a fixed wing arena, from the cinematography arena. I'm a cinematographer first. I'm also a pilot. The gimbal on the DJI drone is backwards of every camera control I've ever worked with, not to mention every aircraft I've ever flown.

It's wrong in that it is bad UX, and wrong that DJI is not paying attention to the needs of their users, when so many users are asking for this same, simple feature.

Also, mobileHomer, I don't care what you think. Please stop trolling my posts. I asked you before, and I'm not interested in your uninformed fan-boy opinion.
2023-1-8
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-8 07:44
This has been requested many many many many times. Which probably indicates DJI's response.
That said might I suggest you consider what you do when you put something up on to a high shelf, you push it up and pull it down. I don't how how others move their gimbal dial but I push mine in one direction and pull it in the other, so thinking to myself "push up, pull down" gives me the desired direction of pitch change.

What on earth does putting something up on the shelf have to do with cinematography? Or control of a camera? Here's the answer, I won't keep you waiting: absolutely nothing.

Your analogy makes no sense, and has no standing in terms of photography, cinematography, operating aircraft, or flying a drone.
I recognize that a lot of users have talked about this and requested it, and clearly DJI is not paying attention to the needs of the users per hit perhaps we need to speak a little louder.

DJI needs to pay attention to the needs of their users.For this case, that means adding an option in software to reverse the the action of the gimbal dial.

Both you and mobilehomer's claims that it's not needed is an opinion notwithstanding, and you two are the only ones that are negating this need, which is needed by many users. Neither of you are using drones in a professional situation, so your opinion is less than relevant.

And I'm not saying that the direction of the controller should be changed for everybody, I'm only saying that there needs to be an option in software to reverse the direction, and this need is common enough that many people have been on these forms asking for it, and DJI is ignoring the needs of their users.

That is what is wrong.

2023-1-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NightFlightAlright Posted at 1-8 13:18
What on earth does putting something up on the shelf have to do with cinematography? Or control of a camera? Here's the answer, I won't keep you waiting: absolutely nothing.

Your analogy makes no sense, and has no standing in terms of photography, cinematography, operating aircraft, or flying a drone.

The connection between the shelf and the gimbal is the necessary actions and their consequences.
One pushes a box up onto a high shelf and one pushes the gimbal dial to tilt the gimbal upwards.
One pulls a box down from a high shelf and one pulls the gimbal dial to tilt the gimbal downwards.

To you the analogy may not make sense but for me it makes perfect sense and remembering "push up, pull down", and the idea behind it, works every time.

Just out of curiosity, where did I say the option was not needed? I suggested that it is unlikely to happen, I then suggested a 'solution' that works every time for me.
I would have thought that someone who is so frustrated by the current set up would be grateful for a 'solution' that works but, apparently not.
Just as a matter of interest why don't you try it and see ..... or do you just prefer to suffer and complain?

DJI is not failing to respond to the needs of ALL their customers but they might be failing to respond to the wants of some of their customers.

Just for the record I think adding the option would be a good idea but also think it is unlikely to happen.

2023-1-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

NightFlightAlright Posted at 1-8 13:05
Not just a fixed wing arena, from the cinematography arena. I'm a cinematographer first. I'm also a pilot. The gimbal on the DJI drone is backwards of every camera control I've ever worked with, not to mention every aircraft I've ever flown.

It's wrong in that it is bad UX, and wrong that DJI is not paying attention to the needs of their users, when so many users are asking for this same, simple feature.

Not a "fan boy", I just have enough ability to adapt. You forget, even with the Mavic 3 Cine it is a DRONE first. Just reread my post, I said the option was fine. You go off and hate on anything that goes against your personal beliefs.
2023-1-8
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

I do not understand something?
But the camera control is to turn to the side, but neither up/down.
The option is needed, but it has nothing to do with the experience of flying the aircraft.
2023-1-8
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

Drone.Hunter Posted at 1-8 17:44
I do not understand something?
But the camera control is to turn to the side, but neither up/down.
The option is needed, but it has nothing to do with the experience of flying the aircraft.

I only mentioned flying aircraft to make a point, which is lost on the two above who I was trying to make a point for originally in another thread.

While true that the tilt pitch control is on the side, it's position means that rotation right means push it with your finger, rotating left is that you pull it with your finger, so it's still a push-pull even though technically it's horizontal.
2023-1-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NightFlightAlright Posted at 1-8 22:19
I only mentioned flying aircraft to make a point, which is lost on the two above who I was trying to make a point for originally in another thread.

Well true that the tilt pitch control is on the side, it's position means that rotini right means push it with your finger rotating left is that you pull it with your finger, so it's still a push pull even though technically it's horizontal.

Your mentioning an aircraft and the response of the aircraft's nose, and the pilot's perspective, to pulling and pushing on the control stick is not lost on me. I grew up around aircraft,  playing with aircraft stuff, including a dummy control stick, which I still have .... somewhere.

It also occurred to me, but thought it not worth my time questioning but since you question my understand of things........
With regards to..."this is also the case of a camera on a tripod: pushing the camera will cause it to tilt down, pulling causes it to tilt up. ....."
With a pan & tilt head, e.g. a Manfrotto 141RC, mounted in a tripod, should you be pushing and pulling on the camera. I thought you are supposed to use the arms/handles of the head to make orientation, I do.
Yes I 'push and pull' on the camera when using a ball head but only once the clamp is released, so there is little force on the camera.
BUT with a Gimbal head, e.g. a Wimberley, isn't the gimbal arm normally dropped below the tilt pivot? In which case pushing on the camera from behind the camera tilts the lens upwards and pulling tilts the lens downwards.

2023-1-9
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-9 05:44
Your mentioning an aircraft and the response of the aircraft's nose, and the pilot's perspective, to pulling and pushing on the control stick is not lost on me. I grew up around aircraft,  playing with aircraft stuff, including a dummy control stick, which I still have .... somewhere.

It also occurred to me, but thought it not worth my time questioning but since you question my understand of things........

To Sean:

It depends, if it’s a large/heavy camera you might be using a geared head, where you turn wheels to actuate camera movement.

But that’s an old school case, let’s consider that is most cases the camera is atop a pivoting mount. In all these cases, the camera goes FORWARD to pitch DOWN.

It does not matter if you are LIFTING the pedestal handles, it is the SAME action, camera FORWARD is DOWN.

This extends to other professional equipment, such as the Chapman peewee dolly, Rotating the valve control left moves camera up, right is down. Opposite the DJI RC.

Again, the DJI gimbal control knob is opposite of many of these standard methods of camera and gimbal movement.

As far as if your hands are on the camera when it’s on a tripod, if you’re using the eyepiece, your left hand is on the camera, your eyes in the eyepiece and your right hand is on the back of the camera, again it doesn’t matter the whole camera moves forward when it tilts down.

Forward = down.
Right = down
2023-1-9
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-8 15:38
Not a "fan boy", I just have enough ability to adapt. You forget, even with the Mavic 3 Cine it is a DRONE first. Just reread my post, I said the option was fine. You go off and hate on anything that goes against your personal beliefs.

What part of "stop trolling my threads" do you not understand?
Take your self-entitled arrogant nonsense somewhere else.

2023-1-10
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

Exactly this, thank you for the useful response.
2023-1-10
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

NightFlightAlright Posted at 1-10 04:27
Exactly this, thank you for the useful response.

My post said that. You are ridiculous.
2023-1-10
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-10 09:54
My post said that. You are ridiculous.

Nice gaslighting sociopath. Again, stay away from me psycho.
2023-1-10
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Agreed, i myself find that i use it the opposite way so an option to swap it would be brill
There must be a reason why i go to use it this way, i cant think why though.

Therefore, its +1 from me as its wrong, for me.
2023-1-10
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-8 12:38

Look at it from someone else's perspective, if they're using it in a way that does not work for them, then it is wrong, for them.
This does not mean you're wrong, as it works for you, therefore, it is right, for you.
2023-1-10
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 1-10 18:06
Look at it from someone else's perspective, if they're using it in a way that does not work for them, then it is wrong, for them.
This does not mean you're wrong, as it works for you, therefore, it is right, for you.

Bashy, we agree. The OP however, does not.
2023-1-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 1-10 17:59
Agreed, i myself find that i use it the opposite way so an option to swap it would be brill
There must be a reason why i go to use it this way, i cant think why though.

i also think it should be the other way around.
Used to it now, but still have to think twice before scrolling up or down, so my logic is not DJI logic.
2023-1-11
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-10 18:42
Bashy, we agree. The OP however, does not.

Don't speak for me you creep, and stop trolling my threads, you are insane.

I have stated what is needed as an option to switch it per user preference. You can take your gaslighting sociopathic nonsense and go somewhere else, and stop trolling my threads you creep.
2023-1-11
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

Bashy Posted at 1-10 18:06

Yes, exactly this. This is what I've been saying for some months, and apparently dozens of other users have been making the same complaint for years and yet DJI has done nothing to solve this problem.
2023-1-11
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 1-11 00:13
i also think it should be the other way around.
Used to it now, but still have to think twice before scrolling up or down, so my logic is not DJI logic.

Your logic is the correct, and is the intuitive logic that other controls for similar activities function: push for down pull for up. It is so common, t is shocking to me the DJI has it in reverse, and that they don't even allow the user to switch controller direction.
2023-1-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

NightFlightAlright Posted at 1-11 20:07
Don't speak for me you creep, and stop trolling my threads, you are insane.

I have stated what is needed as an option to switch it per user preference. You can take your gaslighting sociopathic nonsense and go somewhere else, and stop trolling my threads you creep.

AND I SAID THE SAME THING!!! You are accustomed to your way, others are not!! There is no WRONG WAY!!!
2023-1-12
Use props
djiuser_EsbWfDh0SGJO
lvl.1

United States

I feel the same way. It’s backwards to what is intuitive. I’ve been flying drone for a while and this is the only part of the controls that feels off when flying. Pushing the wheel in to aim down feels natural and pulling out to aim
up makes more sense. What I don’t understand is that you can literally customize every other button on the RC, except the gimbal pitch control.

Please update this DJI!
2023-6-16
Use props
djiuser_U48T01FSXEY6
lvl.1
United States

+1. I'm a bit surprised this isn't an option.

My 2 (or 4) cents...

• I keep seeing this "up is up, down is down" analogy, and it makes sense if I force it to make sense in my mind. Which is to say: the Gimbal Dial is on the top of the controller, so the concept of up/down isn't that great of an analogy, in my opinion. But yes, it makes more sense if I imagine that the dial is on the left side of the controller. In that case, it's reasonable to conclude that left/pull is down and right/push is up. Or to be much more clear: counter-clockwise is down and clockwise is up.
  • I've also seen "Left to Lower, Right to Raise", which is a pretty good mnemonic device and one I'll have to remember moving forward.
  • And I'm sure that under the hood where all the magic happens, everything makes perfect sense, mathematically speaking.

But consider this: without using any analogy, mnemonic device, or trigonometry, and instead thinking of it mechanically – clockwise is always clockwise.

The dial turns. The camera also turns (tilts.) If we take the Gimbal Dial and attach it directly to the right-hand side of the camera, then how does the control work? Currently, it's backwards. Turning the dial tilts the camera in the opposite direction of that turn.

Naturally, if I'm turning the dial clockwise, I expect the camera to tilt in the same direction. If I were holding the dial in my hand and it was oriented in the same direction as the drone/camera, then I'd expect turning the dial clockwise (right/forward) would tilt the camera down.

This is the most intuitive concept to me, as a new user.

I'd really love to have the option to invert the controls. To be honest, I always screw up my first shot fiddling with the gimbal control.

2023-7-7
Use props
NightFlightAlright
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_U48T01FSXEY6 Posted at 7-7 19:10
+1. I'm a bit surprised this isn't an option.

My 2 (or 4) cents...

Exactly, well said.

In the USA and much of the world, clockwise is down, counterclockwise is up. Think of a screw and a screwdriver as an example.

I kind of wonder if that perception would be the opposite for those who are in the UK… And now that I think of it, at least one of the people that was telling me here that the gimbal wheel is okay the way it is, also happens to be in the UK (@Sean-bumble-bee).

Coincidence? perhaps not…

HEY DJI: This is a really serious UX issue. Please add an option to reverse direction… and here’s an EASY way to do that:

You already have EXPO TUNING and rate of change… if you just allow the rate of change to go NEGATIVE for gimbal tilt, then that should solve the issue, easily.

Or a software switch… but seriously, PEOPLE HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR YEARS, why has this not been added to the dev pipeline?

Perhaps I’m asking in the wrong venue by asking here. What’s an address of somebody I can contact for things like bug reports and feature requests?

Thank you.
2023-7-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

NightFlightAlright Posted at 7-7 19:53
Exactly, well said.

In the USA and much of the world, clockwise is down, counterclockwise is up. Think of a screw and a screwdriver as an example.

Thank you for your feedback. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support!
2023-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules