Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stephanegimenez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1153780 ft
  • >>>
Jersey

Hi all,

I don't think that I have posted here before so hopefully my question will be in the right place.

I recently moved to Osmo Mobile 6 to go with my iphone 14 pro, from the original pocket v1. I loved the pocket, but my phone generates nicer quality.

my problem now is that instead of having a process of moving videos from the device to the computer, and import them to FCP, I now rely on FCP, and the Photos app to bring them in, one by one, on to the timeline.
That is a major pain in the ar$e because:
  • Videos in Photos are not optimised and therefore slow to scrub and I/O in the timeline
  • importing all files at once to trim in timeline will place all files back to front (in time order)
  • if I try and import them, delete from timeline, re-order in my FCP browser to import in order, the dates get completely messed up and nothing makes sence
  • Mixing footage from my phone, my DJI pocket (which I still use in places I don't want to lose my phone) , and my OM6, seems to have completly random create dates making clip management impossible.

I checked recording a short video on mobile, pocket and OM6 as part of this process, and all 3 clips, in Photos, had the correct timestamp. so I know that the issue is not date time in the devices...

I also tried to export the footage from Photos to a desktop folder, but I then lose the "date created" which gets overwritten with the "Now" date time.

To recap, I love the straight integration with the Photos app to review the captured images, and how mobile and OM6 footage are all in one place, but then what?
I came back with 100+ clips from a holiday, all in my Photos app, and have had to spend an entire day bringing them into a project timeline, where I have now to trim each clip in timeline...

There has to be a better way..

I never used FCP with content from Photos before, other than odd file here and there, but that REALLY SUCKs, as you have no control of the files like you do in normal project browser (at least with file order by create date).

If this is confusing.. sorry...
But if you have the same issue, I would assume that you know exactly what I mean.

Thanks.

Steph

2023-1-8
Use props
fansa61e3418
lvl.4

United States

I have been using FCP with iPhones for several years.  The Photos app integration with FCP is very broken.  In addition to the problems you point out, there is also: (1) if you make a change in the Photos app to your video it will be forgotten when you import to FCP, (2) sometimes 4K is converted to HD and 60FPS to 30FPS.
The only way to get reliable imports is to export from Photos.  You must export Unmodified as Original to the Finder - the file will have the date/time as NOW, but if you look at the creation date in Quicktime it will be correct.  It will also be correct in FCP.
2023-1-18
Use props
stephanegimenez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1153780 ft
  • >>>
Jersey

fansa61e3418 Posted at 1-18 13:05
I have been using FCP with iPhones for several years.  The Photos app integration with FCP is very broken.  In addition to the problems you point out, there is also: (1) if you make a change in the Photos app to your video it will be forgotten when you import to FCP, (2) sometimes 4K is converted to HD and 60FPS to 30FPS.
The only way to get reliable imports is to export from Photos.  You must export Unmodified as Original to the Finder - the file will have the date/time as NOW, but if you look at the creation date in Quicktime it will be correct.  It will also be correct in FCP.

You are absolutely right with the other problems mentioned. Thank you so much.
It is a shame as I have just moved to the Osmo mobile from the pocket, thinking that phone quality would be better, as well as a better integrated process. But it turns out that I was wrong with the process...

I will make sure to export to file as soon as I get back to a computer.

thank you!
2023-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules