Firmware updates
4862 25 2023-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

Hello all,

Youtuber Nobby Green posits that the latest firmware update for the Mini 2 may in fact be the last one DJI will issue. Of course, he doesn't know for certain, however, I wonder if the forum has any comments perhaps based on historical firmware updates for this unit and indeed any other DJI drone.

2023-1-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It does seem to fit their usual update pattern.
However note that a lot of the 'firmware' (or better said : drone functionality) is actually in the DJI Fly app and that does get regular updates.
Some will affect the Mini 2 too.
2023-1-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, GT2022. Thank you for reaching out. There's no official statement about this. Please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ) for any updates. Thank you for your kind understanding and support.
2023-1-9
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-9 22:57
Hi, GT2022. Thank you for reaching out. There's no official statement about this. Please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ) for any updates. Thank you for your kind understanding and support.

@Montfrooij

Thank you Gamora.
Of course, you will understand that as a very recent purchaser of the DJI Mini2, it would be reassuring to know that the unit will be supported well into the future. I suppose in any event, that notwithstanding firmware updates as such, the unit will indeed remain supported and just won't stop being able to be used. Sensibly, many people drive cars that are not current models and they can still drive them

2023-1-10
Use props
MeAtHome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84104 ft
Switzerland

It depends, what “support” and “well into the future” means to you. The Mavic Pro was launched in September 2016. It has established itself as a reliable companion and this is why so many of them are still in use. That said, for some time now, DJI stopped selling new batteries and propellers, the only ware-and-tear parts on the Mavic Pro. In other words, battery and propeller availability will probably also end soon for the Mini 2.
2023-1-10
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

MeAtHome Posted at 1-10 03:37
It depends, what “support” and “well into the future” means to you. The Mavic Pro was launched in September 2016. It has established itself as a reliable companion and this is why so many of them are still in use. That said, for some time now, DJI stopped selling new batteries and propellers, the only ware-and-tear parts on the Mavic Pro. In other words, battery and propeller availability will probably also end soon for the Mini 2.

Yes, support and well into the future I mean to say, I just bought the Mini 2 and I'd expect it would be useful for at least ten years. I would be very disappointed if I had bought any drone in 2016 and needed batteries or propellers and couldn't get them. That said, I suspect there might be after market props and batteries for that Mavic Pro for how else as you say, so many of them are still in use. Perhaps whenever a model gets to a level of "non-support" a good measure from the manufacturer would be to announce the end-of-life as it approaches thereby giving those who own such models a chance to stock up on batteries, props and any other "wear and tear" item. Computer Operating Systems usually announce EOL giving customers a chance to plan ahead and it could be argued that drones are in many ways, a flying computer
2023-1-10
Use props
MeAtHome
lvl.4
Switzerland

GT2022 Posted at 1-10 04:01
Yes, support and well into the future I mean to say, I just bought the Mini 2 and I'd expect it would be useful for at least ten years. I would be very disappointed if I had bought any drone in 2016 and needed batteries or propellers and couldn't get them. That said, I suspect there might be after market props and batteries for that Mavic Pro for how else as you say, so many of them are still in use. Perhaps whenever a model gets to a level of "non-support" a good measure from the manufacturer would be to announce the end-of-life as it approaches thereby giving those who own such models a chance to stock up on batteries, props and any other "wear and tear" item. Computer Operating Systems usually announce EOL giving customers a chance to plan ahead and it could be argued that drones are in many ways, a flying computer

DJI has announced product lifecycle status in the past.
The latest product lifecycle status of Enterprise products
However, I am not sure if DJI knows the meaning of 10 years. If we get 5 – 6 years we are fortunate. Of course, batteries and props will be available thereafter, but not from DJI. This could turn in to a safety issue, since there is a chance that one buys cheap knock-offs.
2023-1-10
Use props
naked_techie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68970 ft
United Kingdom

MeAtHome Posted at 1-10 03:37
It depends, what “support” and “well into the future” means to you. The Mavic Pro was launched in September 2016. It has established itself as a reliable companion and this is why so many of them are still in use. That said, for some time now, DJI stopped selling new batteries and propellers, the only ware-and-tear parts on the Mavic Pro. In other words, battery and propeller availability will probably also end soon for the Mini 2.

The DJI store still sells props for the Mini so I think there's still a bit of life left in the Mini2.
2023-1-10
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

MeAtHome Posted at 1-10 23:26
DJI has announced product lifecycle status in the past.
The latest product lifecycle status of Enterprise products
However, I am not sure if DJI knows the meaning of 10 years. If we get 5 – 6 years we are fortunate. Of course, batteries and props will be available thereafter, but not from DJI. This could turn in to a safety issue, since there is a chance that one buys cheap knock-offs.

That's comforting then MeAtHome, because I see nothing mentioned about DJI Mini 2 in the list which was apparently the latest and produced in 2021. To reproduce the relevant section ...
"...Milestones:

End-of-Production (EOP): production discontinued.
    End-of-Availability (EOA): sales by DJI discontinued.
    End-of-Development (EOD): software updates by DJI for the product discontinued (does not apply when major security issues are involved).
    End-of-Service (EOS): maintenance and technical support services by DJI discontinued...."
2023-1-11
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

naked_techie Posted at 1-10 23:58
The DJI store still sells props for the Mini so I think there's still a bit of life left in the Mini2.

Indeed that sounds right. As per my reply to MeAtHome, looks likely there will be quite some life left in the Mini2 yet.
2023-1-11
Use props
MeAtHome
lvl.4
Switzerland

GT2022 Posted at 1-11 00:26
That's comforting then MeAtHome, because I see nothing mentioned about DJI Mini 2 in the list which was apparently the latest and produced in 2021. To reproduce the relevant section ...
"...Milestones:

The list only includes the enterprise products, not the consumer products. The Mini2 is a consumer product.
2023-1-12
Use props
MeAtHome
lvl.4
Switzerland

GT2022 Posted at 1-11 00:30
Indeed that sounds right. As per my reply to MeAtHome, looks likely there will be quite some life left in the Mini2 yet.

I hope so too, because I really like my Mini2!
2023-1-12
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

MeAtHome Posted at 1-12 02:02
The list only includes the enterprise products, not the consumer products. The Mini2 is a consumer product.

Mmmmm. So that really leaves us DJI Mini 2 users somewhat uncertain about its future support. This all said, I think the product must surely have a reasonable service life before one is compelled to upgrade.
2023-1-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

GT2022 Posted at 1-10 02:19
@Montfrooij

Thank you Gamora.

Hi, GT2022. We understand your sentiments and rest assured that as of this writing, the DJI Mini 2 is still supported by DJI both technical and repair concerns. In addition, the suspension of service and support of the devices is being announced prior to the Service Suspension date. You may save this thread for your future reference: (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 1&extra=#pid2808521). Have a nice day ahead.
2023-1-14
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-14 01:28
Hi, GT2022. We understand your sentiments and rest assured that as of this writing, the DJI Mini 2 is still supported by DJI both technical and repair concerns. In addition, the suspension of service and support of the devices is being announced prior to the Service Suspension date. You may save this thread for your future reference: (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 1&extra=#pid2808521). Have a nice day ahead.

@MeAtHome @naked_techie @Montfrooij

Thanks very much Gamora. Yes this certainly resolves my enquiry and my concerns are much ameliorated  now. I will indeed save the link you referred to.
Best wishes.
2023-1-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

GT2022 Posted at 1-14 02:34
@MeAtHome @naked_techie @Montfrooij

Thanks very much Gamora. Yes this certainly resolves my enquiry and my concerns are much ameliorated  now. I will indeed save the link you referred to.

Hi, GT2022. You're most welcome. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Have a safe flight always!
2023-1-17
Use props
ddrdan
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-14 01:28

That was a bit vauge?

I bought a Mini 2 just yesterday from DJI.com. How far in advance are your announcements? Now I'm thinking I made a mistake? I say that because I'm getting ready to purchace a 2 yr service plan. That would be foolish if OEM props and batteries are discontinued short of the service period. The correct batteries are an essential flight requirement.

Proprietary parts are why I stuck with home built birds for so long. They're ugly, cumbersome, and a hard setup ...... but the essential parts are readily available for a good long term.

2023-1-26
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 629482 ft
United States

Heh, short of the world falling apart, I just can't fathom that you might not be able to get props and batteries for 2 more years...
2023-1-26
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

And I suppose one could reasonably assume that the original props (and the spare props if one bought the flymore package) and batteries should last at least two years. In fact, if mine don't last longer than that I will be disappointed indeed. Of course, lithuim batteries and in this case, LIFO type all need reasonable care. Batteries do wear out ultimately but I think taking some of the well documented care and maintenance information should place one in an optimal position. Personally, as far as the props go, I will be happy if I never need to replace the original set but maybe I am a little naive there
2023-1-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

ddrdan Posted at 1-26 13:27
That was a bit vauge?

I bought a Mini 2 just yesterday from DJI.com. How far in advance are your announcements? Now I'm thinking I made a mistake? I say that because I'm getting ready to purchace a 2 yr service plan. That would be foolish if OEM props and batteries are discontinued short of the service period. The correct batteries are an essential flight requirement.

Hi, ddrdan. Thank you for joining the thread. Unfortunately, at this time we do not have any information about how far in advance the announcements will be made. We understand how frustrating it can be to make an investment in a product, only to have it discontinued shortly thereafter. The Mini 2 was released around November 2020 and, as such, the end of service for this drone will not be in the near future yet. In fact, the Mavic Mini which is the first DJI Mini drone is still being supported and DJI accessories and service plans are still available for this drone. If you need further assistance with your Mini 2, please don't hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Have a safe flight.
2023-1-29
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-29 03:51
Hi, ddrdan. Thank you for joining the thread. Unfortunately, at this time we do not have any information about how far in advance the announcements will be made. We understand how frustrating it can be to make an investment in a product, only to have it discontinued shortly thereafter. The Mini 2 was released around November 2022 and, as such, the end of service for this drone will not be in the near future yet. In fact, the Mavic Mini which is the first DJI Mini drone is still being supported and DJI accessories and service plans are still available for this drone. If you need further assistance with your Mini 2, please don't hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Have a safe flight.

DJi Gamora, please check Mini 2 release date. lol.
2023-1-29
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

yogi053 Posted at 1-29 08:23

Yep looks like a typo doesn't it. Probably what? 2020? Or perhaps even earlier?
2023-1-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

yogi053 Posted at 1-29 08:23

Hi, yogi053. Thank you for noticing it and sorry for the typo. I have changed it already. Have a good one!
2023-1-29
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-29 19:33
Hi, yogi053. Thank you for noticing it and sorry for the typo. I have changed it already. Have a good one!

I always do. lol.
2023-1-30
Use props
ddrdan
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-29 03:51
Hi, ddrdan. Thank you for joining the thread. Unfortunately, at this time we do not have any information about how far in advance the announcements will be made. We understand how frustrating it can be to make an investment in a product, only to have it discontinued shortly thereafter. The Mini 2 was released around November 2020 and, as such, the end of service for this drone will not be in the near future yet. In fact, the Mavic Mini which is the first DJI Mini drone is still being supported and DJI accessories and service plans are still available for this drone. If you need further assistance with your Mini 2, please don't hesitate to reach us here at DJI Forum. Have a safe flight.

Thank you. That's good to hear and reassuring. I'm planning on lots of flight time with this bird. So far I'm impressed with the flight app and camera capabilities. I think it's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again.
2023-1-31
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

ddrdan Posted at 1-31 16:58
Thank you. That's good to hear and reassuring. I'm planning on lots of flight time with this bird. So far I'm impressed with the flight app and camera capabilities. I think it's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again.

Hi, ddrdan. You're most welcome! Good to hear you're loving the DJI Mini 2. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to post here at DJI Forum. Have a safe flight always!
2023-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules