Offline maps way too small !?
10309 62 2023-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Karol Werner
lvl.1
Poland

I registered just to put my vote in too. Its almost impossible to fly during moving with RC (with car, bicycle etc). Thanks to map view in mavic 2 pro I saw Home point and RC location on the map. I dont want to download maps every flight. Sometimes even I cant do a hotspot because of low internet signal...
2023-9-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Karol Werner Posted at 9-20 01:31
I registered just to put my vote in too. Its almost impossible to fly during moving with RC (with car, bicycle etc). Thanks to map view in mavic 2 pro I saw Home point and RC location on the map. I dont want to download maps every flight. Sometimes even I cant do a hotspot because of low internet signal...

Thank you for your feedback. Please rest assured that we will register the information and provide feedback to the related departments for evaluation. In the future, we will optimize and improve the product based on user comments. Thank you for your support and understanding.
2023-10-23
Use props
djiuser_Iploj286nJRO
New
Flight distance : 19081 ft

Poland

Any news on this issue? Offline maps are useless in that state.
2023-10-28
Use props
GGenge007
lvl.2
Flight distance : 318885 ft

Canada

Is there a reason you limit offline maps to 3 MB. In say Google maps I can download my entire city and it takes only 40 MB. In the pictures you can see the tiny white square around the blue dot, where the left image is my entire city and surrounding area. If I can fly my drone 10km or farther, I’ll need a much larger map area. Please enable larger maps to be downloaded , we have lots of storage with 128 or larger memory.
IMG_4560.png
image.jpg
2023-11-4
Use props
j.teuffel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 161801 ft
Germany

BUMP!
Please Allow for Larger Map Areas to be downloaded. I have a 256GB Card in my controller for around ~10€.
I see no reason not to downloa ~10-15GB of Maps.
2023-11-19
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1829121 ft
United States

What is truly strange, almost parallel universe strange, is the RC Pro Enterprise controller lets you download absolutely huge areas in contrast. This is contrary to everything about that controller, which is incredibly feature poor compared to the consumer version. So yes it can and is done on the very similar controller.
2023-11-19
Use props
LambdaKnight
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

This is incredibly necessary. I can't even cover the full range my drones without downloading a whole lot of segments through a vary slow and wasteful screnn
2023-11-20
Use props
DRobin
New

Belgium

Same problem over here, bought especially a 256GB micro SD to support offline maps on DJI RC, only to find out you can only dowload maps with 3MB size, like for real? Why isn't this solved by DJI?
2023-11-24
Use props
Uusitalo
New
Flight distance : 399577 ft
Finland

There is no reason to have this function with these limits
2023-12-13
Use props
ApexProxy
New
Flight distance : 27743 ft
United States

I just registered in order to post here. Why, with all of the potential of this hardware, in the world are offline maps being stuck at 3MB? I also feel like DJI owes me for the 512GB SD I bought so that I could offline huge areas. Like, this has to be an error, there is no way anyone could have thought that areas this small is sufficient... right?

However, seeing the apparent frequency of people reporting pretty major issues, getting a canned "rest assured we are forwarding this to the engineers!", and then years go by with zero changes (even with dozens of reports) makes me wonder about how much DJI cares which makes me wonder if I care to invest more money with this company. A company who does not listen to it's users and who does not properly support their software is not one I want to spend money with. This is pretty sad.

I did however accidently get it to glitch once and allow me to grab a couple 250MB areas but I can't get it to work again.
2023-12-24
Use props
random-user
New
Flight distance : 1096 ft

United States

The problem seems to be a limitation of the Android platform running on the controller. I verified this using the DJI RC 2 and confirmed the size of the rectangle shrinks as you zoom out, and does not provide a way to adjust the size when zoomed out. As mentioned by DroneApe, you can attempt to trick the software into forcing a larger selectable area; however, I was not successful in doing so. My results were the rectangle did retain a larger size and displayed an increased size in MB for literally one second, but then it would either revert to the smaller rectangle and MB size, or the offline maps program/function would crash and take me back to the home screen. A Google search revealed that others have expressed their concern to DJI support for at least a year, but all requests seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

I am hopeful that this will be patched in a future firmware update as well as being able to save to the SD card. Sooner rather than later as this functionality would be classed top notch if working correctly.
2023-12-25
Use props
fansf6eecb0b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 453537 ft
Sweden

Agree, the map area is way too small to be useful. Please make it easier to mark a bigger area. Add buttons for area siza? Plus and minus? Something! Anything!
1-12 00:39
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

GGenge007 Posted at 2023-11-4 03:07
Is there a reason you limit offline maps to 3 MB. In say Google maps I can download my entire city and it takes only 40 MB. In the pictures you can see the tiny white square around the blue dot, where the left image is my entire city and surrounding area. If I can fly my drone 10km or farther, I’ll need a much larger map area. Please enable larger maps to be downloaded , we have lots of storage with 128 or larger memory.

Hello, there. Thank you for your inquiry. The offline map of the DJI Fly app is calculated by the number of map tiles, instead of the map size. The area for downloading overseas offline maps is limited to a certain extent. You need to zoom in and out of the specified frame selection range to download the map. If the frame selection range is larger, the map information that can be downloaded will be rougher; and if the frame selection range is smaller, the finer the map that can be downloaded. Nonetheless, your feedback will be forwarded for consideration.
1-13 02:53
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fansf6eecb0b Posted at 1-12 00:39
Agree, the map area is way too small to be useful. Please make it easier to mark a bigger area. Add buttons for area siza? Plus and minus? Something! Anything!

Hello, there. Thank you for your additional input. For comprehensive details regarding the offline map, you may refer to this link. Moreover, your suggestion will be forwarded to our relevant team. Thank you for your support.
1-13 02:57
Use props
light24bulbsgmail.com
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10735 ft
United States

This is a big user experience issue and needs to be fixed.  Any DJI representative reading this, please forward the request to the engineering team. The feature is clearly broken and not working as intended.  
1706052745341330000853829680824.jpg
1-23 15:32
Use props
DroneBoy1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43353 ft
United States

Same problem here. Went out and bought a 128 G SD card but can only download 3 M maps. The suggestions that I've read here and elsewhere are not great:

1. I tried the zoom in/out trick. It took a million of tries over almost an hour to get it into so called "Large Map Mode". Instead of the typical area of about 1 square mile, the map switches to a tiny rectangle highlighting about 1 city block. Then if you're careful, you can slowly zoom out and it will magically start letting you shove miles and miles into the square, like hundreds of miles. The problem I had is I could not save the file at all. Every time I tried, it hung/froze. I spent about 4 hours trying and never once was able to save. Not a solution.
2. There are posts and videos showing how you can just start using the map in the location you want without even downloading it as an Offline Map at all. The way this works is if you happen to have an internet connection, then you'll see your current location in the real time map (map view square at the bottom left during flight). As you pan across the map, it caches the tiles it sees. Those tiles remain in the cache so that if you use it again at a future time, they'll still be there. There are many problems with this "solution". First, if the cache overflows, I have a feeling it will eject the tiles you have and replace them with whatever new ones it sees (not sure about that, but I'd take that bet). Next, it's an awkward way to get maps onto the device. Next, I think the tiles are just literally screenshots of what you see when you're looking at it as it's saving them. I doubt it has tiles for what you would see if you wanted to zoom in or out at that location - I think you just get a screenshot of exactly the zoom level you are at when you pan. Next, if you don't have an internet connection at the time you want to do this, forget it. What you really want is, say, a map of all of Northern California if you plan to be somewhere there where you won't have a hotspot connection, but you don't know exactly where yet. Like, you want to pull over at a cool place on your way to your destination, but that location is unplanned. As long as it's in your Northern California offline map, it'll be there. This "cached tiles" approach won't do that.
3. This is really bad. I am pretty disappointed. DJI, please fix.
3-4 13:29
Use props
fansed14e40d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1985738 ft
United States

Also would like to see the size of downloaded maps increased greatly. Just bought a card for the controller, the current offline map size is not even big enough for a single flight. To cover my entire area would require downloading hundreds of separate off line maps. This feature is currently unusable.
3-24 19:07
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

fansed14e40d Posted at 3-24 19:07
Also would like to see the size of downloaded maps increased greatly. Just bought a card for the controller, the current offline map size is not even big enough for a single flight. To cover my entire area would require downloading hundreds of separate off line maps. This feature is currently unusable.

Hi there. We appreciate your valuable feedback. Rest assured that we will record this suggestion and make sure to reach out to our relevant team for future consideration. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Thank you for your understanding and support.
3-31 04:49
Use props
McFaulTech
lvl.1
United States

I totally agree.  Such a pita.  

4-4 07:38
Use props
djiuser_Cehg5iaXZ2Zw
New
Flight distance : 30965 ft
Poland

Hello! It would be REALLY great to be able to download bigger maps. Any ETA in this feature?

Cheers!
4-14 08:05
Use props
RicardoZim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 988323 ft
United States

djiuser_Cehg5iaXZ2Zw Posted at 4-14 08:05
Hello! It would be REALLY great to be able to download bigger maps. Any ETA in this feature?

Cheers!

It’s been an issue for a long time. Doesn’t look like it will happen
4-14 17:23
Use props
DroneBoy1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43353 ft
United States

RicardoZim Posted at 4-14 17:23
It’s been an issue for a long time. Doesn’t look like it will happen

Very disappointing. The fact that this is still not resolved feels more like a business issue than a technical issue. I'll bet the engineers are chomping at the bit to release a solution, but some licensing issue is blocking it. I can't believe that a team that can build an entire ecosystem with dozens of products that can take HD videos from miles away in the sky, can't figure out how to edit the file that says MAX_SIZE=.
4-16 08:25
Use props
ValleyForge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24754 ft
Australia

I still dream of this. Why can I have my ENTIRE CONTINENT map offline on my Garmin, but only a postage-stamp size map on my more expensive RC Pro?
4-21 02:24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules