12Next >
10234 62 2023-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RicardoZim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 988323 ft
United States

Using Mavic 3 with RC Pro Controller both with latest firmware updates. Offline maps is a great addition but even though you can visibly select a slightly larger area, the actual saved area is tiny. This makes it difficult to cover larger areas you may wish to fly in. You have to download overlapping small areas and hope there are no spaces.
With Google offline maps, for example, you can select and save offline large geographic areas. Most of us have enough memory with SD cards so cannot see a logical reason for this…
2023-1-9
Use props
dreamtuner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068376 ft
Bangladesh

I agree. Also the option to save as mixed layer (sat with labels) would be awesome. I will welcome the idea of letting me download the whole country's map in mixed layer.
2023-1-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, RicardoZim. Thank you for reaching out. We have recorded your request and will forward them to our related team for optimization. Significant suggestions will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at (www.dji.com). Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day!
2023-1-11
Use props
fans4611786a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23806 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It really would make selecting maps so much easier, it's very time consuming have to do such small tiles to select
2023-1-16
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fans4611786a Posted at 1-16 15:46
It really would make selecting maps so much easier, it's very time consuming have to do such small tiles to select

But always remember that with a hotspot (smartphone) you have many options on the go...   
2023-1-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can make the map a tiny bit bigger, from 3mb to around 10 or 11mb, i found this out by accident, although I've not tested it to see if the downloaded map is any good .
When you have the maximum size possible (about 3mb), then put 2 fingers on the screen and drag down until the map stops tilting but do not try to zoom again else you will have to come out of the offline maps and start it again, you will see that the actual map grows and so do its size. Again, not tested a downloaded map to see how well it actually works, so let me know how you get on, please.

EDIT: turns out that it only downloads the standard, not tilted so its the same size, even though it shows as 10 or 11mb when you chose the download, its still only around 3mb
2023-1-24
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

I asked for this for the DJI RC too. They can let us select a much bigger area even a whole country at once. Storage is not a problem
2023-1-25
Use props
Libitron
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130853 ft
Canada

Hey DJI Reps .... Any movement on this. Our Cendence/Crystal Sky set up captures map sizes which are a bit small but at least are not totally unreasonable. The size available on the DJI RC really is unreasonable. Has anyone figured out some way to download something?
2023-4-8
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Libitron Posted at 4-8 04:52
Hey DJI Reps .... Any movement on this. Our Cendence/Crystal Sky set up captures map sizes which are a bit small but at least are not totally unreasonable. The size available on the DJI RC really is unreasonable. Has anyone figured out some way to download something?

Nearly useless at the moment...   
2023-4-9
Use props
RicardoZim
lvl.2
United States

Bashy Posted at 1-24 19:54
You can make the map a tiny bit bigger, from 3mb to around 10 or 11mb, i found this out by accident, although I've not tested it to see if the downloaded map is any good .
When you have the maximum size possible (about 3mb), then put 2 fingers on the screen and drag down until the map stops tilting but do not try to zoom again else you will have to come out of the offline maps and start it again, you will see that the actual map grows and so do its size. Again, not tested a downloaded map to see how well it actually works, so let me know how you get on, please.

Yes agreed - still an issue. Even with the latest firmware. Really silly implementation of a great feature. I guess DJI will get round to it eventually..
2023-4-12
Use props
Axelz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3427999 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Note this offline map functionality is more usable on DJI Pilot 2 where you can drag a box on the screen to download which can be much larger (such as with the Mavic 3 Enterprise), as well as the maps being of much higher detail (fortunately) on that app.  Would be good if DJI could do the same for DJI Fly as well on Android and their RC and RC pro also and move away from the far inferior mapbox map source.
2023-4-14
Use props
Daniel Cilia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30850 ft
Italy

frankymusik Posted at 1-17 22:59
But always remember that with a hotspot (smartphone) you have many options on the go...

No you don’t since Wi-Fi and Bluetooth switch off on the controller once the Mavic 3 Pro takes off
2023-5-26
Use props
Daniel Cilia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30850 ft
Italy

Overlapping the small maps is a real pain and it’s very easy to leave sections out. I’m too used to use the maps to fly my previous Mavics and Phantoms that I’m finding it difficult to fly my Mavic Pro 3.
2023-5-26
Use props
tgechev
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112779 ft

Bulgaria

Same here. Would be great to have the option to download bigger maps. I am also used to them after flying a Phantom 4. I hope such a feature gets added soon.
2023-5-26
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Daniel Cilia Posted at 5-26 11:30
No you don’t since Wi-Fi and Bluetooth switch off on the controller once the Mavic 3 Pro takes off

I'm using the DJI RC Pro...
2023-5-27
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

When you say "too small", what size are you talking about?  How many Megabytes?  Or how many kilobytes are you talking about?   One of my maps that I downloaded is pretty good size.  The rectangle is 50 miles wide. Not sure how long it is...probably 200 miles long.   It’s at least 250 MB...I don't remember the exact file size.
2023-5-30
Use props
fansbc36da47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1695118 ft
United States

DroneApe Posted at 5-30 11:43
When you say "too small", what size are you talking about?  How many Megabytes?  Or how many kilobytes are you talking about?   One of my maps that I downloaded is pretty good size.  The rectangle is 50 miles wide. Not sure how long it is...probably 200 miles long.   It’s at least 250 MB...I don't remember the exact file size.

You may want to double check that. On my RC Pro, I am limited to approximately 1 square mile and 3 MB per map.
2023-5-30
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

fansbc36da47 Posted at 5-30 12:36
You may want to double check that. On my RC Pro, I am limited to approximately 1 square mile and 3 MB per map.

There’s nothing to double check.  I’ll post a screenshot later tonight if you need it.
There’s a proper technique to download large maps.

I have 3 maps at the present moment.  Two maps are approximately 25 MB each.  And the other map is at least 250 megabytes.  
2023-5-30
Use props
RicardoZim
lvl.2
United States

DroneApe Posted at 5-30 13:01
There’s nothing to double check.  I’ll post a screenshot later tonight if you need it.
There’s a proper technique to download large maps.

"There’s a proper technique to download large maps." - please advise what you did. Also what drone are you using the RC Pro with and advise firmware for both. Thanks
2023-5-30
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

RicardoZim Posted at 5-30 17:37
"There’s a proper technique to download large maps." - please advise what you did. Also what drone are you using the RC Pro with and advise firmware for both. Thanks

I have Mavic 3 and RC Pro.  Latest firmware on everything.  I think it would be much better if DJI wrote a guide.  I'm not very good at explaining stuff.  Here's my technique.  If you figure out a better method....feel free to correct mine.  I've never been able to download a map greater than 1 GB without it crashing.  I can create a map greater than 1 GB, but I can't download it.  I've never been able to exceed 1 GB in total map files file sizes.  For example, 3 maps at 400 MB each won't work for me because it would put me over 1 GB total.  If I try to exceed the total of 1 GB, it will throw a server error and tell me to delete some maps.  Your mileage may vary.

1. Use your thumbs to zoom in and zoom out

2. Don't put your thumbs inside the rectangle.  Keep them on the outside of the clear rectangle.

3. Find the location where you want to create your map.

4.  Zoom all the way in and zoom  way out.  Do this three or four times.  Make the rectangle tiny.  Make the rectangle big. Repeat.  Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 zoom in/out.  Sometimes 10 or more.

5.  At some point, when you make the rectangle super tiny (almost invisible), and then zoom all the way in, and if it's still tiny, it will have magically switched to "Large Map Mode".  Now just gently zoom out and watch your file size because it should increase quite a bit as your rectangle becomes larger.

6. If you have a slow internet connection, you might not notice the file size increase rapidly.  When I tested tonight, my file size stayed the same for about 45 seconds and then it jumped from 5 MB to 80 MB in one second.  I have a 200/20 internet connection.  That's 200 Mbits/second download.  And 20 Mbits/second upload.
If you have a really slow internet connection, you will end up frustrated.  More than likely, the person who tested this at DJI probably has Gigabit speed--up and down.

7.  For me, creating the large map is easy.  The hard part is downloading it.  You may get server errors.  If you are able to start the download of a large map, when the screensaver comes on (backlight timeout)  on the RC Pro, it will pause the download.  But the download won't show it as "paused".  You have to hit the pause/play to restart it.
8.  If you've tried to create a large map, and you can't do it after 5-10 minutes of trying, I would suggest quitting and power the RC Pro off and try again.

2023-5-30
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

DroneApe Posted at 5-30 20:41
I have Mavic 3 and RC Pro.  Latest firmware on everything.  I think it would be much better if DJI wrote a guide.  I'm not very good at explaining stuff.  Here's my technique.  If you figure out a better method....feel free to correct mine.

2023-5-30
Use props
RicardoZim
lvl.2
United States

DroneApe Posted at 5-30 20:41
I have Mavic 3 and RC Pro.  Latest firmware on everything.  I think it would be much better if DJI wrote a guide.  I'm not very good at explaining stuff.  Here's my technique.  If you figure out a better method....feel free to correct mine.

Thanks will try it soon and give feedback..
2023-5-30
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

RicardoZim Posted at 5-30 22:37
Thanks will try it soon and give feedback..

No problem.

Last winter, I was able to create and download a 1 GB map.  But it wouldn’t allow me to download any more maps.  So I deleted it.   Last winter, I didn’t understand the method to the madness..not that I do now.  But now I can create any large map in less than 3 minutes—-but downloading it….that 243 MB map took about an hour to download.  I should have disabled the screensaver (backlight timeout) though because it kept interrupting the download.
2023-5-31
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

DroneApe Posted at 5-31 15:09
No problem.

Last winter, I was able to create and download a 1 GB map.  But it wouldn’t allow me to download any more maps.  So I deleted it.   Last winter, I didn’t understand the method to the madness..not that I do now.  But now I can create any large map in less than 3 minutes—-but downloading it….that 243 MB map took about an hour to download.  I should have disabled the screensaver (backlight timeout) though because it kept interrupting the download.

I've added one more step (step 8) if you're getting frustrated.

Tonight I tried to make a large map.  Tried for 10 minutes.  Couldn't get it to work.  I powered the RC Pro off and tried again.  I was able to create the map below in less than a minute.  I have no explanation as to why it didn't work the first time.

2023-6-1
Use props
fanse2f23f65
lvl.1
Flight distance : 348392 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just echoing what others have said. The offline map is ridiculously small. It needs to be large enough to cover an entire state or country.

Unfortunately the work around @DroneApe posted did not work for me.
2023-6-10
Use props
droneking610
New

United States

I canot describe how ANNOYING it is that you cannot download larger maps for offline use, COME ON DJI. For those of us that have been long time fliers, this is an extreme step in the wrong direction, as I personally heavily rely on that map for work puposes.  Thank you to DroneApe for posting instrcutcions, as we have been trying on our new DJI RC at work. A co-worker followed your tutorial and we got the map to load up in large mode! However, at the naming screen, we get stuck on hitting yes, and the app then eventualy crases
I hope someone at DJI see's this and implements a fix.
2023-7-17
Use props
Shawn Texas
New

United States

Just got my Mini 3 pro with RC controller. Definitely a miss on the map. Wanted to download a map of Hawaii island but there's just no way to do it. Tried the zoom in-out but no luck. Ughh.. I don't want to waste time during vacation trying to download small 3MB file of each area I'm visiting. Got better things to do than downloading maps on a trip
2023-7-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Daniel Cilia Posted at 5-26 11:30
No you don’t since Wi-Fi and Bluetooth switch off on the controller once the Mavic 3 Pro takes off

You can enable both once in the air.
2023-7-19
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

Shawn Texas Posted at 7-19 08:52
Just got my Mini 3 pro with RC controller. Definitely a miss on the map. Wanted to download a map of Hawaii island but there's just no way to do it. Tried the zoom in-out but no luck. Ughh.. I don't want to waste time during vacation trying to download small 3MB file of each area I'm visiting. Got better things to do than downloading maps on a trip

Hopefully somebody will figure out a better method or post better instructions.  I can't rule out that my instructions aren't the best.
It took me three attempts and about 5 minutes to get one island.  If I don't get it to work in about two minutes, I shut the thing off and turn it back on and try again.  I never tried it on an RC controller though.
Edit: If you look at my screenshot of the big island, you'll notice the file size is big but the rectangle is small.  That's because my internet connection went down due to thunderstorm right in the middle of zooming, but I didn't know my connection went down (I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing). . In the second screenshot,  I had internet the whole time so it doesn't look weird like the first screenshot.

2023-7-19
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

DroneApe Posted at 7-19 10:28
Hopefully somebody will figure out a better method or post better instructions.  I can't rule out that my instructions aren't the best.
It took me three attempts and about 5 minutes to get one island.  If I don't get it to work in about two minutes, I shut the thing off and turn it back on and try again.  I never tried it on an RC controller though.

The rest of the islands.

2023-7-19
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United States

+1 for larger map options.
2023-7-22
Use props
djiuser_Kax9O5YUKTKp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70699 ft
Greece

Yes please allow larger map area download!
2023-7-23
Use props
ProTip
lvl.1
Flight distance : 263757 ft
United States

Time to fix this oversight. The feature is essentially useless.
2023-7-23
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

droneking610 Posted at 7-17 12:49
I canot describe how ANNOYING it is that you cannot download larger maps for offline use, COME ON DJI. For those of us that have been long time fliers, this is an extreme step in the wrong direction, as I personally heavily rely on that map for work puposes.  Thank you to DroneApe for posting instrcutcions, as we have been trying on our new DJI RC at work. A co-worker followed your tutorial and we got the map to load up in large mode! However, at the naming screen, we get stuck on hitting yes, and the app then eventualy crases  
I hope someone at DJI see's this and implements a fix.

It will crash on me too if I try to download a map larger than 1 GB.  You know when that YES button is frozen it's not going to end well.  
I've never been able to download a map larger than 1 GB.  I can create maps greater than 1 GB, but I can't download them.  The YES button will freeze if I try to download any map greater than 1 GB.
Also, I've never been able to have total map file sizes greater than 1 GB.  For example, 3 maps at 400 MB each won't work for me because that would put me over 1 GB.  It will tell you to delete some maps (server error).  

2023-7-24
Use props
JonEllinger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5422064 ft
  • >>>
United States

+1 for this as well.  This is absolutely frustrating.  come on DJI!
2023-7-29
Use props
djiuser_w8fuRpHbFZxe
New
Flight distance : 69564 ft
United Kingdom

Wow, this is so irritating.... I just bought a 128GB card for my DJI RC Pro in the hope I could download maps in advance of my trip to Ireland. Tried to download the whole country, as we'll be touring for 2 weeks and I have no idea of knowing in advance where I'll be flying. But no... can't do it. Googled my issue and found countless other people with exactly the same issue.

Come on DJI - this can't be that hard to fix!
2023-8-17
Use props
fans96877c73
New

United States

I'd suggest everyone having issues talk to support, and get them to refer the issue to engineering.  It definitely seems like a bug you have to trick it into downloading a larger map area.

This looks identical to the standard android offline maps feature, it just seems broken (standard android lets you pick much larger areas)
2023-8-29
Use props
fanscbe33652
lvl.1

Romania

+1 I couldn't get it to be any bigger
2023-9-10
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United States

fanscbe33652 Posted at 9-10 03:39
+1 I couldn't get it to be any bigger

That's what she said
2023-9-11
Use props
ea99
lvl.1

Israel

Put my vote in for fixing this major issue as well.  That’s really an annoyance.
2023-9-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules