What's the Best Way to WEAR Your Phone While Flying the Avata?
2244 19 2023-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3090846 ft
United States

Since we now have to connect our phones to our goggles if we want to fly the Avata without drama, what are YOU doing to prevent it from falling on the ground, becoming unplugged while flying, etc.? I know most are probably just sticking their phone in a coat pocket right now, but spring and summer are coming soon(ish), and then we'll be in tank tops and shorts (where I live, anyway). I have a headband with a battery holder, so I don't have to keep the battery in my pocket. My phone is too big for this kind of solution. I think I may find a way to connect my phone to the lanyard I use for my controller, which will involve purchasing a new case that can work with (hang from) a lanyard. I don't like this idea because it may get in the way of controlling the drone, so maybe I need a different lanyard.

This is really annoying that we even have to spend 30 seconds addressing this issue. I hope DJI comes up with a tiny device that can work instead of a phone that I can simply keep in my pocket or attach to my headband. Something the size of an AirTag or Tile would be manageable.
2023-1-9
Use props
RichfromHowellNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree this is very annoying.  Here is my 2 cents though.  The entire setup was never designed for us to have a phone connected to them.  But personally I would hate to see the phone fall out of something other than my pocket.  That seems to be the safest.  Hopefully DJI will come up with some type of other solution other than we having to connect our phones to our goggles to meet the FAA Requirements here in the US.  Just my 2 cents.
2023-1-10
Use props
Haz albuquerque NM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 497421 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is what i got works well https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W3Q ... ct_details&th=1
2023-1-10
Use props
freedom2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 519747 ft
France

you can try this kind of phone holder : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5713868

2023-1-10
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Since this unfortunate situation has come to light, I've been using a very long Samsung charging/data cable. Like you said, when it gets warmer it won't be as convenient. As a result I've been keeping a small folding camping table and a tripod chair in my truck at all times. Unfold, sit and fly!

I think during the warmer months I'm just going to use my TriplTek 8 tablet with the table and chair setup. My phone is a Galaxy Fold 4 and is pretty bulky, heavy and doesn't let you forget you have it with you. At least with the TriplTek it doesn't really matter if it falls off the table, out of my truck, etc..

Another pilot here on the forums bought a used Palm phone that is very small and light, but I'm not looking for a dedicated device.
2023-1-10
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

Here is what I use (skip video to 7:11 unless you just want to see everything I use lol)

2023-1-10
Use props
Props
lvl.3
United States

Thanks! Clipping onto the side of my lanyard never occurred to me. I've been looking at arm straps and phone-specific lanyards like what Haz albuquerque NM linked to. I also have an extra phone that is no dedicated to all things drone so I will be using it for this purpose but man, it would be a heck of a lot easier if it could connect via Bluetooth instead of an actual cord. That way, I could just leave it near me rather than ON me.
Here is an armband solution I'm looking at. My thinking is that it will be physically closer to my goggles if I strap it to my upper arm so it will have less chance of being disconnected: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HWYZQ95/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=AKSU1QON14VH1&th=1

Also, it just feels creepy that I'm going through all this, spending money, etc.,  just to make me an easier target for harassment and/or a mugging.
2023-1-10
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 618904 ft
United States

I just bought a micro Android phone for $45 off Ebay, and printed a mount for it on my head strap... Done: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=281630   
2023-1-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Props. Thanks for posting here in DJI Forum. We hope that you can get the best recommendations from your Co-Pilots here. Happy flying!
2023-1-11
Use props
SgtRay
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

I haven't done the update yet. But from what I can tell if you take off and then disconnect the phone the drone will fly just fine. It'll give a warning but it doesn't stop anything.
If this is correct why not just take off hover then disconnect the phone and not worry about it
2023-1-12
Use props
Props
lvl.3
United States

SgtRay Posted at 1-12 08:37
I haven't done the update yet. But from what I can tell if you take off and then disconnect the phone the drone will fly just fine. It'll give a warning but it doesn't stop anything.
If this is correct why not just take off hover then disconnect the phone and not worry about it

I think I have a slight case of OCD and that little "REMOTE ID ERROR" message on the screen is really irritating to me! Also, I want 10-bit color for my video.
2023-1-12
Use props
yensysl1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 491699 ft
  • >>>
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 1-10 04:41
Since this unfortunate situation has come to light, I've been using a very long Samsung charging/data cable. Like you said, when it gets warmer it won't be as convenient. As a result I've been keeping a small folding camping table and a tripod chair in my truck at all times. Unfold, sit and fly!

I think during the warmer months I'm just going to use my TriplTek 8 tablet with the table and chair setup. My phone is a Galaxy Fold 4 and is pretty bulky, heavy and doesn't let you forget you have it with you. At least with the TriplTek it doesn't really matter if it falls off the table, out of my truck, etc..

hey KLR.. i have actually been looking at the fold.. how do you like it? im torn between the fold and the new 22ultra.  
2023-1-12
Use props
yensysl1
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

i have been holding off on the update for that reason..would love the 10bit but I live in florida and dont have enough pockets lol.(i wear board shorts all the time and only 1 pocket i use for the battery...) I would think if a must..maybe a fanny pack?
2023-1-12
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

yensysl1 Posted at 1-12 18:19
hey KLR.. i have actually been looking at the fold.. how do you like it? im torn between the fold and the new 22ultra.

I love them! I've been using them for a couple years now. The 3 was great but I did finally suffer from the crease crinkle at the top of the main screen like a lot of others. The 4 is much better built and worthy of a look. The camera is phenomenal, and almost equal to the s21 Ultra.  

I had Galaxy Notes for a decade so the Fold was really my only option to keep the same conveniences I had grown accustomed to. My wife had always had Notes as well and she made the jump to the Ultra's a couple years ago. She's now eyeing my Folds (pun intended) and will probably move to the Fold 5 when it dumps.

It is heavy, bulky and does take some getting used to but it really gets any job done. It does struggle in remotes (N1) and Skydio Parrot but I do have an old Note 10+ when I use Skydio 2+. Luckily with all of the great DJI remotes I have no need for a phone screen with those aircraft.

One UI 5 really tweaked the options for the main screen and streamlined the multi-window experience.
2023-1-13
Use props
yensysl1
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 1-13 05:15
I love them! I've been using them for a couple years now. The 3 was great but I did finally suffer from the crease crinkle at the top of the main screen like a lot of others. The 4 is much better built and worthy of a look. The camera is phenomenal, and almost equal to the s21 Ultra.  

I had Galaxy Notes for a decade so the Fold was really my only option to keep the same conveniences I had grown accustomed to. My wife had always had Notes as well and she made the jump to the Ultra's a couple years ago. She's now eyeing my Folds (pun intended) and will probably move to the Fold 5 when it dumps.

ok 1st off.. im sitting in hotel room in utah with beautiful mountain view out the window reading your post while sipping coffee.. and man you got me good.. literally spit out my coffee on the carpet with the eyeing my folds bit.. well played sir lol.  thanks for the honest dscription ...im kinda in same boat with my wife .. she has the note 21. i have the 21 ultra.... been eyeing the fold for fact that i think i could actually use it as a second screen for my samsung book 3 pro.... but from what i have been seeing the s22 ultra is supposed to be insane... ugh first world problems lol
2023-1-13
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ha! I'm glad it was the hotel carpet and not yours.
2023-1-14
Use props
gbaum.paintballphotography
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18308950 ft
  • >>>
United States

This works really well
https://www.etsy.com/listing/100 ... anic_search_click=1
2023-1-14
Use props
Props
lvl.3
United States

I was able to get my hands on a "brand new" iPhone 4 (YES, a brand new 4) in the box. I figured it was so tiny that it would work perfect as my GPS device.
NOPE. I spent 20 minutes setting it up (which felt like a had traveled back in time to 2011 or 2012) and then when I tried to install DJI Fly, it said NOPE!
So... now that I have a brand new iPhone 4 that won't work for my Remote ID GPS, what do I do with it?
2023-1-14
Use props
ro_walker
Second Officer
Brazil

I agree this is very annoying.  
2023-1-15
Use props
Props
lvl.3
United States

Tethering my phone to my goggles has proven to be more annoying than I even originally thought it would be. I find I OFTEN drop the phone on the ground and get tangled with clothing, etc.. I knew it was going to be a bit annoying, but it is the main reason I fly my DJI FPV far more often. DJI ought to create a device specifically for this purpose that is as small, or smaller than an AirTag.
2023-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules