DJI GO app crashed mid-flight on Android
4696 19 2015-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

The last two days the DJI GO app has disconnected and crashed after 11 minutes into the second flight (first flight typically 16 minutes, with a 10 minute break between); luckily it has happened as I was flying back and I was surprized to find that the controller continued to work, so I landed the P3P safely. In each case the video continued to film after the app crashed (just no reception). I am using a Nexus 9, which is a supported device, running Android 5.1.1, so I am to expect that this will improve withsome future upgrade? In the meanwhile, if this were to happen farther out, does someone know if RTH works under these conditions?

2015-8-17
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

Decided to check this myself, so I returned to the field. Dji GO app crashed again, this time on the 4th flight. I tested the RTH under these conditions, and the craft returned safely with the app dead on the tablet! So I guess I can fly without too much worry until this problem is fixed. This third crash of the app gave me the chance to observe that it is repeatedly crashing after 28 to 29 minutes of flight time (not including the 6 to 10 minute break between P3P battery changes). Any ideas about what is happening? Air temperature here is 22 deg. C and weather is cloudy so no obvious overheating issue.
2015-8-18
Use props
Nemmo
lvl.2

Russia

johnsr Posted at 2015-8-18 23:09
Decided to check this myself, so I returned to the field. Dji GO app crashed again, this time on the ...

My Nvidia Shield never crash on the first flight but then it may crashes in no prognosed periods/ MAy be on 5min of flight or at 14th min or at 2th/
My brain is leaking
2015-8-18
Use props
Amber
New

United Kingdom

I found that the App crashes during flight and video after a time, so I turned off local cache option in the GO App and that seems to have helped a lot.  I usually only get a very odd App crash now.  New update out today so hopefully this will resolve it.
2015-8-19
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

Amber Posted at 2015-8-19 20:51
I found that the App crashes during flight and video after a time, so I turned off local cache optio ...

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact I switched off the local cache option after very first flights to improve video lag. Yesterdays flights went better, GO app did not crash during flights, but the video lag became enormous toward the end of the last flight (again about 29 or 30 minutes total consecutive flight time).
2015-8-19
Use props
ezrider750
New

United Kingdom

Same problem here, ever since i upgraded to the Go App. Its slightly disconcerting mid flight but i found restarting my phone (Sony Xperia Z1) fixed the problem temporarily. I don't think the phone is really up to the job so looking forward to an upgrade in a couple of months.
2015-8-22
Use props
hilton571
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10220 ft
  • >>>
United States

ezrider750 Posted at 2015-8-23 01:52
Same problem here, ever since i upgraded to the Go App. Its slightly disconcerting mid flight but i  ...

You might want to look into an iPad IOS device for your replacement.   I am now using my iPad mini 3 because of the disconnect issue with the android tablets.  My android tablet is the Nvidia Shield 32  MB.
Waiting for the fix. My drone is the DJI Inspire 1.
2015-8-24
Use props
ugranzow
lvl.2

Germany

try to remove the "google play-service" upgrades! than it should work perfectly! thi is just a workaround. dji should fix that!
2015-8-25
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

After yet another crash of the app this morning (cumulated flight time 27 minutes), I may have found part of my problem. Up to now I have been leaving the GO App open between flights, just putting the Nexus on standby (in order not to lose the cached map without a Wi-Fi connection in the fields). This afternoon I flew the P3P again, but during the 12 min. break between flights I closed the App and the powered off the Nexus. The result was a total of 35 minutes for the two flights (nearly 9 km distance) without the usual App crash and without an increase in video lag. This needs to be repeated a few times for confirmation, but looks promising.
2015-8-26
Use props
adm3367
lvl.1
Brazil

Same here!!! APP crash in mid flight. Almost crashed the drone! Laggy and bumpy fpv video. Android Galaxy Note 3
2015-8-30
Use props
LarryBanks
lvl.1

Canada

adm3367 Posted at 2015-8-30 10:17
Same here!!! APP crash in mid flight. Almost crashed the drone! Laggy and bumpy fpv video. Android G ...

Have had the app crash mid flight (not new) and refuse to re-connect to the drone (new behavior) like you - Android on Nexus 6, thankfully the remote control and RTH still worked. After this, the app wouldn't reconnect to the drone under any circumstance, even after power-cycling the phone, remote, and drone. I managed to get things working again by uninstalling the app, deleting the DJI folder on the phone filesystem, and then re-installing.

Someone here said this was due to video caching on the phone, so I turned it off hoping that it would all be good again... But then on my next flight attempt the video got totally screwed up. Like, before taking off, the live-view screen went entirely purple, then green, then black with white / marks... Not the usual signal distortion that you'd sometimes see in flight with interference, and also in the sense that it didn't just last a few seconds and clear up. I power-cycled the remote and the video came back to normal (leaving the drone on and alone). It seemed stable, so I took off. About 10 minutes into the flight, the weird video garbage thing came back, but only lasted 2~3 seconds. I flew back, landed, looked at the video on the card... The second file wasn't playable, but after running it through DJIFIX it was OK, so I don't think it's a problem with my drone camera (P3P)

Something must be really screwed up with DJI GO - I didn't have these problems with the Pilot app...
2015-8-30
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

johnsr Posted at 2015-8-26 19:57
After yet another crash of the app this morning (cumulated flight time 27 minutes), I may have found ...

Just an update on my situation (Nexus 9) after more flights since the last post; by restarting the tablet and the GO App between flights I have not had another App crash, BUT, I do observe occasional (2 to 5 second) interruptions in the video link (and camera controls) while the flight controls seem to remain OK. I'm flying, but it is clearly not very "healthy"... Incidentally I improved the average video lag by increasing the logger buffer size, and by removing all unnecessary Apps (and auto-updating) on the tablet (but this did not help the occasional lags/interruptions).
2015-8-31
Use props
aparis99.gmail
lvl.1

United States

I've not completely figured out the app yet since I'm new to it, but I use my Galaxy S5, with the 2.0.1 version of the app with no problems at all. About 3.5 hours of flight time so far. I've noticed that I have copies of the video clips I record in my gallery, and randomly photos I've taken. Maybe the app is requiring a LOT of processing from the tablets/phones. Maybe if they disabled or gave the user the option to disable that, it would help?
2015-8-31
Use props
QaaUz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240161 ft
Denmark

adm3367 Posted at 2015-8-30 16:17
Same here!!! APP crash in mid flight. Almost crashed the drone! Laggy and bumpy fpv video. Android G ...

Galaxy Note3 here too. Had this issue once. Otherwise been fine. Really gut wrenching experience - I'm glad to hear the RTH works though I didn't try it at the time - did a reboot whilst leaving the P3P (out of sight 100m in the woods) waiting. Really hairy experience and after effects of uncertainty - with a certain assurance. :-)
2015-9-5
Use props
dominic.espejo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88130 ft
United States

Same issue with the Nexus 9.  The DJI Go app seems responsive when freshly started then slowly starts becoming sluggish until is crashes altogether.  Tried all the suggestions (video cache off, usb debug off, airplane mode, etc...) and nothing worked.  The DJI Pilot was more stable so I hope an update is in the works, or they should de-certify the Nexus 9 as a supported device.  I need to have confidence in the app when I'm out flying.
2015-9-8
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

johnsr Posted at 2015-8-31 15:58
Just an update on my situation (Nexus 9) after more flights since the last post; by restarting the ...

Things seem better since last post. Several long flights (totaling about 10km) testing the new IOC functions since the new GO app (v.2.1) was installed Sept. 7 along with the firmware updates (v.1.4.10). First impressions are good: no mid-flight app crashes, and no video lag increases or 2-5 sec pauses. Let's hope this continues...
2015-9-8
Use props
dominic.espejo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88130 ft
United States

johnsr Posted at 2015-9-8 23:54
Things seem better since last post. Several long flights (totaling about 10km) testing the new IOC ...

Did you also update Android to 5.1.1?  I'm still having lag and crash issues after the updates.
2015-9-9
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

dominic.espejo Posted at 2015-9-9 21:24
Did you also update Android to 5.1.1?  I'm still having lag and crash issues after the updates.

Yes my Nexus 9 is running Android 5.1.1.
2015-9-9
Use props
mrapl1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3681 ft
United States

This is really, truly, disheartening. Those with Apple devices seem to be doing fine while the rest of us in the Android camp seem to be doomed to the perpetual app freeze and crash... Ugh... All this money spent on this beautiful quad, only to be sidelined by this. So far I have tried the following:
Kyocera Brigadier Cell Phone Android 4.4.2
ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T Android 4.2.1
CHUWI hi8 Dual Boot Tablet CW15009  Android 4.4.4
     Currently I am using the new CHUWI (just arrived yesterday) and have removed all the bloatware, turned off the google services and disabled the video cache function in the GO app, since I won't be editing videos on the tablet, and flew it for about an hour. Right out of the box, two crashes and then after reloading the app, was fine for the remaining flight time. Looks like the only hope is a more stable release of the app...

2015-9-10
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
France

johnsr Posted at 2015-9-10 08:45
Yes my Nexus 9 is running Android 5.1.1.

Very bad news: after 66 flights my P3P was lost, crashed and broken two days ago during a test flight in some open fields to try out the new IOC - Waypoints. I had set a 3rd waypoint and was flying back to the starting point (still in Waypoint setup mode) to create a final point, when the craft took a large arc toward the dense woods behind me and crashed somewhere into the trees. I was unaware of this veer because of a video lag (video showed it heading toward me). Odd coincidence, but the direction it took was straight toward previous day’s home-point (my house) below the woods. After three long searches using GPS info I was lucky to find the bird lying at the foot of an oak tree. Structural damage to arm number 3 will require a full body-shell replacement. The log data looks as if I flew an arc directly into the trees, while the video shows a direction change 15 seconds before the crash (replay of the flight shows no stick yaw changes to justify the veer). I’m still a bit stressed and confused about this. So I would suggest taking extreme care flying while this Android issue remains unresolved.
2015-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules