Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi everyone
After first flight my drone was grounded because of bad weather.

During this time I was doing some camera testing on my grounded unit when I've noticed something.
One of the motors is really loud.

Sounds like bearing issue but I cant tell 100%
Im attaching video to illustrate this better. This is brand new unit.

Thank God I didnt took it for another flight.

Its even worse when motors are idle, almost sounds like a short circut sound.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eBcjc3ZT3W1Hjs2rZwGbv5twYqB339Iq/view?usp=sharing

2023-1-11
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Quick update...
Just finished chat with Support and Case for replacement was submitted
2023-1-11
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You've got ferrous material stuck in the motors.

To avoid this, do not take off from dusty areas and especially beaches. It's a sure fire way to ingest particles into the motor.

Appreciate you have this on replacement, but to fix it you simply run the motors and put a vacuum cleaner hose over the motor, it'll suck it all out.
2023-1-11
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CloudVisual Posted at 1-11 07:56
You've got ferrous material stuck in the motors.

To avoid this, do not take off from dusty areas and especially beaches. It's a sure fire way to ingest particles into the motor.

This is brand new unit. It was flown once from my driveway.
Unless something was introduced in the factory I didnt had chance to contaminate the motor.
Even if something is there, its there for good. I've already tried to blow air on it quite intensively just to be sure.

Plus when motor is idling it sounds like metal to metal contact.
2023-1-11
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Crio Posted at 1-11 08:03
This is brand new unit. It was flown once from my driveway.
Unless something was introduced in the factory I didnt had chance to contaminate the motor.
Even if something is there, its there for good. I've already tried to blow air on it quite intensively just to be sure.

Driveways are riddled with tiny pieces of metal, but it could also be a QC issue at the factory. I'm just saying that I've had experience with that exact sound before and the culprit was FOD.
2023-1-11
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CloudVisual Posted at 1-11 08:29
Driveways are riddled with tiny pieces of metal, but it could also be a QC issue at the factory. I'm just saying that I've had experience with that exact sound before and the culprit was FOD.

No doubt something is there but I've tried already to force it out.
It didn't make any difference in my case.
2023-1-11
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If new and if a motor is suspect I'd be inclined to send it back hopefully as a warranty issue.
2023-1-11
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-11 09:33
If new and if a motor is suspect I'd be inclined to send it back hopefully as a warranty issue.

Indeed. Thats why I was advised to open the case for replacement.
2023-1-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Crio. Thank you for reaching out. Other motors will have noise, and others will not. This is due to a difference between motor part dimensions and their respective assemblies. Each motor runs a bit differently, which means that they generate different sounds. As such, some sounds may be mistaken as “abnormal noises”. Each aircraft has gone through strict tests before it is shipped out from the factory and meets the ex-factory standards.
A motor is considered to be malfunctioning if it has any of the following issues:
(1) The motor does not rotate after your product is powered on.
(2) A motor error is reported by the app.
(3) The motor is obstructed or stalled.
(4) The motor becomes hot after running for 15-20 seconds without payloads (without mounting propellers).
(5) The motor produces an extremely sharp noise when idle after the aircraft is mounted with propellers.
May we confirm if it exhibits any of these behaviors? We understand you have submitted a replacement request already, but we'd like to help you verify the issue first. If you want to push through with the replacement directly, we respect your decision, and we understand how that would give you more ease. Thank you, and have a nice day.
2023-1-11
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 1-11 22:26
Hi, Crio. Thank you for reaching out. Other motors will have noise, and others will not. This is due to a difference between motor part dimensions and their respective assemblies. Each motor runs a bit differently, which means that they generate different sounds. As such, some sounds may be mistaken as “abnormal noises”. Each aircraft has gone through strict tests before it is shipped out from the factory and meets the ex-factory standards.
A motor is considered to be malfunctioning if it has any of the following issues:
(1) The motor does not rotate after your product is powered on.

Thank you so much for replying.
No it does not exhibits any of the above. I understand some motors can sound different.
Nevertheless, this is not my first drone and to be honest I have not encountered anything like that, especially in something that is a few days old.
There is definitely something between the coils or in the bearing.
Sound with motors on
Sometimes its gone for few minutes and coming back. Its hard to trust it.
By the way, my previous M2P had nothing similar after almost 4 years of use. Not to mention previous DJI products and previously small manual drones I've built.

I'm afraid that if I leave it as it is, something might happen during the flight. No one else will be responsible for this but me, especially since I was aware that there was a sound from one of the motors that should not be there.

Trust me the last thing I wish is to send something back that might be fine
2023-1-12
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

Crio, I just went through a replacement procedure for my 1 year old mavic 3. Mine was due to a crash but the process was very smooth. I hope yours will also be very smooth. You make very important point. If motor should fail or some other issue and cause drone to crash or cause property damage or god forbid hurt a person, you alone would be held accountable. As owner and pilot, and as a customer who just spent a lot of money for this aircraft, I would 100% send it back and get one that does not have this issue. Otherwise you will forever worry about this and it will impact your ability to enjoy it. You pay too much for that. DJI have great support. 100% recommend getting care refresh. It saved me a lot of money just now.
2023-1-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Crio Posted at 1-12 04:45
Thank you so much for replying.
No it does not exhibits any of the above. I understand some motors can sound different.
Nevertheless, this is not my first drone and to be honest I have not encountered anything like that, especially in something that is a few days old.

We completely understand, and we respect your decision. Just like with Tornado12, we sure hope the process will be as smooth for you. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Take care!
2023-1-12
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 1-12 22:19
We completely understand, and we respect your decision. Just like with Tornado12, we sure hope the process will be as smooth for you. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Take care!

Thank you.
2023-1-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

You're most welcome!
2023-1-15
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 1-15 21:41
You're most welcome!

All went smoothly, new unit arrived and flies perfect
2023-1-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Crio Posted at 1-28 11:58
All went smoothly, new unit arrived and flies perfect

That's great news. We hope you have a great time with the replacement. Happy flying!
2023-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules