123Next >
6015 99 2023-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
actionxander
lvl.2
Flight distance : 150505 ft
United States

Hi all. I just came back from a snowboarding trip with my Osmo Action 3 and I have here some samples of ungraded vs graded (color graded, basic correcting, and sharpening in post) screencaps of my 4K 4:3 footage (cropped into basic YouTube 4K resolutions - refer to attachments).
This was one of the first batch of Osmo Action Adventure combo cameras I received back in October with a Unit version dated of 09/2022. I had chatted with Online Support a few times in the past to the point where they would call me to help me regarding the lack of focus on this camera but they never got back to me... Fast forward to the present and I decided to download the latest 10-bit firmware update thinking that *maybe* it would improve. Judging by the look of the selfie footage, it looks rather out of focus?

What are my options here? I do have the DJI Refresh warranty but the fact that Online Support left me hanging a few months ago left a pretty sour taste in my mouth. Thanks!

2023-1-13
Use props
actionxander
lvl.2
United States

2023-1-13
Use props
actionxander
lvl.2
United States

2023-1-13
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don’t like the Action 3 on selfie shots. They are soft and look worse when you have things in the distance which look relatively sharper. They are right on the border of out of focus/soft on selfie sticks.  It was the first thing I noticed when I got mine and was quite disappointed after seeing their quoted distance for close focus on the specs.

I was told on here that it's an Action Cam designed for recording action and movement, not sharp portraits!!!

That's about all the support you'll get here other than to twist the lens yourself, which also caused ww3. So really, you have to live with what you might feel is soft, but others feel is sharp ........

For that reason, I use the Hero 11 more for selfie type shots and tbh, my A3 is starting to sit around. That's the 'fix' for me.

There isn’t a lot you can do about it really. That’s just the way the Action is.
2023-1-13
Use props
actionxander
lvl.2
United States

I just had a conversation with support and they were pretty helpful this time around. They are sending me a new unit and I have to send this one in for "repair". So we will see if the newer unit is fixed or not. I have seen several other fellow YouTubers/content creators get newer models and they are indeed better focused for those selfie type of vlog shots. So, we will see when I get my new unit (I need it in the next few weeks as I am going to Big Sky mid February for another snowboarding trip).
2023-1-13
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

If we do not make the call, or chat, that is what we get.   we are happy you got with DJI again,  and they are replacing after your camera is sent in, the thing is  the camera works 100% just not to the liking with the trademark fisheye lens
2023-1-13
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

actionxander Posted at 1-13 12:08
I just had a conversation with support and they were pretty helpful this time around. They are sending me a new unit and I have to send this one in for "repair". So we will see if the newer unit is fixed or not. I have seen several other fellow YouTubers/content creators get newer models and they are indeed better focused for those selfie type of vlog shots. So, we will see when I get my new unit (I need it in the next few weeks as I am going to Big Sky mid February for another snowboarding trip).

Hopefully, it’ll be sharper.
So they're sending a new one as a replacement and going to 'repair' your older one?
2023-1-13
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 1-13 12:34
If we do not make the call, or chat, that is what we get.   we are happy you got with DJI again,  and they are replacing after your camera is sent in, the thing is  the camera works 100% just not to the liking with the trademark fisheye lens

You are right Fish. The lens is a bit too wide for me as well. Makes me look a weird shape!
2023-1-13
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

8/22 and 9/22 are the worst batches out there, and most of people on youtube and here found them to be soft (out of focus) and most of us got ours replaced with newer model that was actually sharp (in focus).

Like Ian said, there are some people here that think we are wrong, even when we had a lot of videos with proof from people adjusting their own focus with either putting a +2 macro filter infront or adjusting the focus themself.

Good luck and DJI is actually doing a good service for their customers, I always had a pleasent convo with them.
2023-1-13
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Good that DJI finally addressed this for you.  Hopefully you get a better focussed OA3.  It is incumbent on DJI to replace any out-of-focus product when a consumer complains.  Since DJI is at-fault - not the owner.  Some owners might be perfectly ok with a somewhat blurry image - and that is their prerogative.  DJI will not complain about that.  Saves them bottom line money on replacements.

While we have never been unhappy with the Action 2 close focus - it is not crystal clear tack sharp vs almost all our other cams except an old 1080 GoPro and the 360 X3.  But for an action camera shooting 4K120 underwater and above water it is perfectly sharp enough.

Here is a comparison shot at 2.7K60 in standard dewarp decinelike.  Person walked across the video frame so motion blur factors in as well.  Stationary at arms length the Action 2 is sharp enough in 2.7 which is what we often shoot because of inverted HS action shots.

Over 99% of the time we shoot action and not vlog.  But interestingly with the X3 we vlog much more because in post - you have unlimited direction editing choices without the selfie stick visible.  Am definitely sold on this approach as your imagination only limits your shooting.  Even with its less than desirable image clarity.  All about capturing the moment in crazy impossible angles and drone-like shots with super clean audio.  Is amazing for that.

Am looking forward to more snowboard shots with your DJI replacement cam.

2023-1-13
Use props
djiuser_BDqfjZQkO1rk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15748 ft
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 1-13 12:34

That is simply not true. If the focus is soft then it is not a 100% working camera. Clearly, newer batches are much better or what we would consider what should have been released from the start. But, don’t gaslight the original poster and try to make his post and concerns irrelevant. He paid for a camera that should be in focus and he should get a camera that is in focus.
2023-1-13
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

djiuser_BDqfjZQkO1rk Posted at 1-13 18:15
That is simply not true. If the focus is soft then it is not a 100% working camera. Clearly, newer batches are much better or what we would consider what should have been released from the start. But, don’t gaslight the original poster and try to make his post and concerns irrelevant. He paid for a camera that should be in focus and he should get a camera that is in focus.

I said  he should again call them. and hope he gets a new and working camera, not true, right
2023-1-14
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
United States

unfortunately 99% of people owning cameras from August and September are jumping on the problem focus bandwagon...
2023-1-14
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Offense/defense

not all are with the issue and not all come to a site to report the issue, just the fraction that want to  be heard
2023-1-14
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Kamen666 Posted at 1-14 06:02
unfortunately 99% of people owning cameras from August and September are jumping on the problem focus bandwagon...

So what? Satisfied?
2023-1-14
Use props
DJ_FM
New
Singapore

I understand your frustration. I watched tons of YT videos, warning about the focusing issue, yet I tried my luck and got the adventure combo, but the focus issue remains for the November 2022 Batch. 30 cm, One foot distance, and further, it was blurry. So I returned to the store immediately and excanged to a different brand. For anyone who has already used it and not wanting to wait, I can only suggest turning the lens using proper tools, as shown in YT. Since DJI is not really fixing the issue, by properly realigning the lens, in theory, it shouldn't void your warranty for other parts of the camera, since who's gonna know, as the lens cover is removable, and you are only twisting the lens. . I just don't want to do it because it was a brand new item i have purchased, and the quality check obviously was lacking. I have the option to return it, so I did.
2023-1-15
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJ_FM Posted at 1-15 01:21
I understand your frustration. I watched tons of YT videos, warning about the focusing issue, yet I tried my luck and got the adventure combo, but the focus issue remains for the November 2022 Batch. 30 cm, One foot distance, and further, it was blurry. So I returned to the store immediately and excanged to a different brand. For anyone who has already used it and not wanting to wait, I can only suggest turning the lens using proper tools, as shown in YT. Since DJI is not really fixing the issue, by properly realigning the lens, in theory, it shouldn't void your warranty for other parts of the camera, since who's gonna know, as the lens cover is removable, and you are only twisting the lens. . I just don't want to do it because it was a brand new item i have purchased, and the quality check obviously was lacking. I have the option to return it, so I did.

It’s been said over and over on this forum that people only come here to complain or are ‘ocd’ whereas in fact, most complaints that I have seen are actually on YouTube and not on here. So in fact, most DON’T come on here at all!

I noticed from the outset that mine wasn’t great in focus and actually, the main reason I wanted to get my hands on one was the quoted 0.3m close distance focus for vlogging type stuff. That really doesn't work well. It's not great on a GoPro but worse on an Action. I haven't got the bottle to twist my lens either!!

The firmware fix helped ‘superficially’ (via digital sharpening) but the detail isn’t quite there for me in the distance.

I kept the Action since it was bought for me to make a shop video. They decided that they weren’t going to sell them in view of the footage that they saw. They are just selling GoPros.
2023-1-15
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
United States

StevoB Posted at 1-14 06:45
So what? Satisfied?

Still not
2023-1-15
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, there.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We will check the previous responses and see how we can do better in the future.If you have any more needs or any questions, please feel free to let us know.
2023-1-15
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I understand your frustration. I watched tons of YT videos, warning about the focusing issue, yet I tried my luck and got the adventure combo, but the focus issue remains for the November 2022 Batch. 30 cm, One foot distance, and further, it was blurry. So I returned to the store immediately and excanged to a different brand. For anyone who has already used it and not wanting to wait, I can only suggest turning the lens using proper tools, as shown in YT. Since DJI is not really fixing the issue, by properly realigning the lens, in theory, it shouldn't void your warranty for other parts of the camera, since who's gonna know, as the lens cover is removable, and you are only twisting the lens. . I just don't want to do it because it was a brand new item i have purchased, and the quality check obviously was lacking. I have the option to return it, so I did.

Can you post 3 examples of those who have moved the lens and how it has worked. Not one that we continually see but 3 or more as you say there are tons. You are advising others to move their lens so to be fair let them see what results they are likely to achieve considering they are voiding their warranty.
2023-1-15
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don’t think he said ‘tons of people moved the lens’. He said …

‘I watched tons of YT videos, warning about the focusing issue‘

Most of those people don't appear here.

2023-1-15
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I understand your frustration. I watched tons of YT videos, warning about the focusing issue, yet I tried my luck and got the adventure combo, but the focus issue remains for the November 2022 Batch. 30 cm, One foot distance, and further, it was blurry. So I returned to the store immediately and excanged to a different brand. For anyone who has already used it and not wanting to wait, I can only suggest turning the lens using proper tools, as shown in YT. Since DJI is not really fixing the issue, by properly realigning the lens, in theory, it shouldn't void your warranty for other parts of the camera, since who's gonna know, as the lens cover is removable, and you are only twisting the lens. . I just don't want to do it because it was a brand new item i have purchased, and the quality check obviously was lacking. I have the option to return it, so I did.

Seen as you put so much faith in you tubers this is one of good you tubers.
2023-1-15
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 1-15 04:13
Seen as you put so much faith in you tubers this is one of good you tubers.

You follow her and the work she done? @hallmark007?
2023-1-15
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Here’s another one that flys in the face of what you’re saying. Bear in mind these are all recent after FW released videos and made by good recognised you tubers.
2023-1-15
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This guy is describing what I see in my footage. Not a ‘fault’ but just softer than what I’m used to. I am curious whether tweaking the lens might bring 'detail' back, but I suspect it won't because of the lens. Especially towards the edges.

2023-1-15
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I think it’s getting pretty clear that overall “good” you tubers prefer the Action 3, gone are the many new you tube hopefuls that can see their clicks go up because they knock products. This is a clear matter of overall use ability, if you need crisp clear faultless footage then choose a good apsc or micro 4/3 camera. If you’re looking for a camera with good footage good recording sound reliable and full of useful features and value for money then A3 is a great choice. It’s something you won’t hear much around here as most like yourself come here to complain and some feel the need to completely give false and ridiculous unproven views of the camera. As you said you tubers trust them.
2023-1-15
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

And I think this explains the Osmo A3 very well. All these videos are on you tube in the top of the opening page for search Osmo A3. So it seems all new osmo A3 reviews are pretty positive.
2023-1-15
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I just had a conversation with support and they were pretty helpful this time around. They are sending me a new unit and I have to send this one in for "repair". So we will see if the newer unit is fixed or not. I have seen several other fellow YouTubers/content creators get newer models and they are indeed better focused for those selfie type of vlog shots. So, we will see when I get my new unit (I need it in the next few weeks as I am going to Big Sky mid February for another snowboarding trip).

Keep us posted, with how you were treated by DJI, the speed of delivery, and if a gift was offered , etc,    post some  results when returned.  
2023-1-15
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Quite interesting that this YouTuber had the same problem and the second video above, she’s asking, ‘Is it fixed’? In her video. She can’t seem to decide for herself. There are videos all over YouTube, good and bad so it's easy to believe one and not another really. Here’s the first video she made where she described the same problem….

2023-1-15
Use props
DJ_FM
New
Singapore

I normally do my research before purchase on YouTube because where else can you do so? Does anyone here have lot of friends who regularly buys a lot of cameras to test them? No.
I really like the features advertised for the OA 3, such as the front touch screen, battery charger, magnetic clip, battery life, etc. At the end of the day, I need an action cam that can record clear and focused footage, I'm no pixel peeper, but just need good, in-focus images, and videos.
I understand many You-Tubers, although saying they are not affiliated, I don't trust them, because their review sound "fake", if you know what i mean. So I watch them as reference, but make up my own mind. That's my experience buying and trying out the OA3, it did not meet my expectation, and the GP11 does, that's after some initial testing. I honestly wish it were better. If the future OA cam has not such issue, I would gladly buy it, as it has so much potential.
2023-1-15
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Fishycomics Posted at 1-15 04:16
You follow her and the work she done? @hallmark007?

I don’t really follow many you tubers I watch plenty. Studying you tubers you find that with new products that those being paid write good reviews almost of the time. Those knocking products attract more clicks than those who don’t. But if you wait for things to settle down you usually get fair reviews all the videos I posted are from you tubers who have good viewing numbers no affiliates directly with this product now for DJI or go pro. So who I follow doesn’t really matter here. But the content does and you’ll find many will ignore it because it doesn’t suit them.
2023-1-15
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJ_FM Posted at 1-15 04:45
I normally do my research before purchase on YouTube because where else can you do so? Does anyone here have lot of friends who regularly buys a lot of cameras to test them? No.
I really like the features advertised for the OA 3, such as the front touch screen, battery charger, magnetic clip, battery life, etc. At the end of the day, I need an action cam that can record clear and focused footage, I'm no pixel peeper, but just need good, in-focus images, and videos.
I understand many You-Tubers, although saying they are not affiliated, I don't trust them, because their review sound "fake", if you know what i mean. So I watch them as reference, but make up my own mind. That's my experience buying and trying out the OA3, it did not meet my expectation, and the GP11 does, that's after some initial testing. I honestly wish it were better. If the future OA cam has not such issue, I would gladly buy it, as it has so much potential.

One problem with YouTube is that the bigger ones are often given a camera by manufacturers (GoPro are terrible for that) and others who want to boost their views by making sensationalist videos.

This just shows how different YouTubers say opposite things, although that girl hasn’t fully made her mind up yet.

I’m more into sound so I do the same and use my ears on what they have done. Also need to look at room and acoustics though as well, but you can get a general view of mics this way.

Same with cameras. In the end, it’s what you see or notice that counts. Regardless of anyone else.

I really like the camera a lot, but I notice in post that I always feel the need to ‘crispen’ it up. In a way, that’s a good thing, but the image has to be basically right for it to ‘Crispen’ up’ nicely without showing ugly artifacts. With the Action.

Moving stuff looks fine. It can just be left, but for me it’s the still stuff with lots of tiny detail that don’t always look as clean as my GoPro stuff.

Mind you, you pay for that. Back to ........ the Action is good for the price!!
2023-1-15
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s always funny no matter what anyone posts there will be some who for no good reason will try to go to the one they can pick on. “ that girl hasn’t made up her mind yet” simply because her video was to those she wanted to hear from. None of the videos I selected were advertised for either go pro or A3, that was clear. All of the videos I posted showed footage both raw and most important edited. And they all show A3 footage to be very acceptable footage they also show it overall to be a cracking good little camera.

Compared to what we see and hear by some who almost none of them post any footage but most of all never posting properly taken and edited footage which is the end result we all want to see. Good edited footage as we see in videos above is not easy and if we think we can just point and shoot and end up with the videos we see above then we’re being delusional, so creating posting and editing our footage can lead to good constructive feedback and this will help improve everyone interested in that side of things.

For months this forum has been nothing but a negative force to completely knock the A3 posting of incredibly badly taken footage non existing edited footage ridiculous theories about hardware defects etc. but if you post as I have above exceptional reviews footage comments and really good editing you’ll find it will be ignored or every excuse under the sun will be used to discredit it. But it’s real and really shows what’s possible.

I think we had a one man wrecking ball on this forum who drove a lot of this along for a long time, until of course he as he said himself got a good well focused one. He then left the forum never mentioning or discussing his newly crowned prince A3 , and why ! Well that’s simple he wasn’t ever hear to discuss how good the A3 was but had no problem convincing others with ill thought out tests just how bad the A3 is. Maybe now he will post a similar video to above to show what all the fuss is about. “Just my thoughts”
2023-1-15
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Referring to another member as a 'one man wrecking ball' is a little inflammatory and off topic, imo.

Take a look at small, distant detail.

Good edited footage……..

2023-1-15
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 1-15 04:48
I don’t really follow many you tubers I watch plenty. Studying you tubers you find that with new products that those being paid write good reviews almost of the time. Those knocking products attract more clicks than those who don’t. But if you wait for things to settle down you usually get fair reviews all the videos I posted are from you tubers who have good viewing numbers no affiliates directly with this product now for DJI or go pro. So who I follow doesn’t really matter here. But the content does and you’ll find many will ignore it because it doesn’t suit them.

thank you,  do you have a youtube channel?
2023-1-15
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Fishycomics Posted at 1-15 06:25
thank you,  do you have a youtube channel?

I don’t think you would call it a YT channel per se. I have used you tube to support posting videos here so have about 50/60 posted on you tube and another 100 or so private family,  and I carry out drone surveying on off and onshore wind turbines which is also private.
2023-1-15
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Even if GoPro is sharper than OA3 in most cases, the GoPro is not sharp and have a lot of sharpening added.

I remember back on OA1 days, we found out that it was more like 1440p uscaled to 4K when using dewarp.

2023-1-15
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

johansenfoto Posted at 1-15 06:43
Even if GoPro is sharper than OA3 in most cases, the GoPro is not sharp and have a lot of sharpening added.

I remember back on OA1 days, we found out that it was more like 1440p uscaled to 4K when using dewarp.

Sharpening is included in almost all editing programs because almost all editors use it and how much or how little is completely subjective. The first and most important job of an action camera is to cover the action the rest is down to the photographer how capable he and the camera is IMO.
2023-1-15
Use props
fansd4100377
lvl.2
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 1-15 04:43
Keep us posted, with how you were treated by DJI, the speed of delivery, and if a gift was offered , etc,    post some  results when returned.

Will do! Hopefully the replacement comes in the next few days.
2023-1-15
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 1-15 06:43

I remember back on OA1 days, we found out that it was more like 1440p uscaled to 4K when using dewarp.

That’s true. The in camera sharpening on the GoPro can be too ferocious. At least you can dial in low, medium and high.

Actually, the Action footage that I first took got my attention onto focus and sharpness because it was the first thing I noticed. Then I realised that most people wouldn’t see it so much with a GoPro because they have it set at medium or high from the start. GP on low sharpness is probably roughly what the A3 gives.

Possibly, a sharpness adjustment might have avoided the problem so that those who want to edit the sharpness could stay with low and those that don’t could have used another setting.

If I can’t be bothered to edit or it’s just a mic test or something, I stick it on medium sharpness, or I do use low sharpening because you can dial it in later, but not lessen it once it’s baked in.

The GP has a slightly better dynamic range though as well, I think.

2023-1-15
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules