Custom File Naming and Continuous Numbering?
5487 21 2023-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 673862 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi all,

I have some questions about file naming. This seems to be an issue across multiple threads, but I'm unsure if DJI has addressed this.

1 - Is there a way of having custom names or at least a prefix?

I recently went on a road trip and took with me two drones, the DJI Air 2s and the Mini 3 Pro. I'm compiling a video with footage from both drones, and I'm getting lost as to which drone was used to take particular footage. I did start by putting each file into folders named after each drone, but it would be nice if it's in the name. I photograph events and set up my two cameras, so the files have a prefix that matches the camera. It's great as there isn't second-guessing.

2 - Are there continuous file names yet?

Just by coincidence, my two drones are 20 values off of each other.
I'm sure I've seen this, but it was probably with my original Mavic Pro 1.
I've read some users saying that this is the App being dumbed down, but surely, this can be an option that can be turned on. A Pro mode if you wish...

DJI, please consider these thoughts!

Does anyone else have some advice about this?

Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 1.15.18 am.png

2023-1-14
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

See also this thread:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=282553

It is an unsolved issue so far.
2023-1-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is something that I have wanted since I got my first DJI product.
But they seem to like this way.
2023-1-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If your images get mixed up, some EXIF readers can sort by camera model/type and or camera serial number.
2023-1-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No

There is no setting for this, but if you format the SD card in a computer after copying the images to the computer, the file numbering will continue from where it left off.

I've read some users saying that this is the App being dumbed down, but surely, this can be an option that can be turned on. A Pro mode if you wish...

You'd think so, but DJI have no interest in making their cameras file numbering work like just about every other camera out there.
Why does the file numbering only go to 0999 rather than 9999 ?

DJI, please consider these thoughts!
Fat chance !!
They have ignored these suggestions the last thousand times they have brought up.
There is no indication that they care at all.

2023-1-14
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-14 12:10
If your images get mixed up, some EXIF readers can sort by camera model/type and or camera serial number.

Hi,

Thanks for this.
I will have a look but I couldn't find it in Lightroom or bridge
2023-1-14
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-14 12:10

I've just checked on Adobe Bridge and this only works with photos.
2023-1-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Mini-G. Thank you for reaching out.

Unfortunately, there are no settings to customize the file names. You can only change them after recording. But I will take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention.

There are drone models that have File index mode in settings.
Setting path: Camera Settings - Settings - File Index Mode - Reset/Continuous
[Example] File index (0001, 0002, 0003, 0004). Supposing that 0003 is deleted
[Reset]
1) If you did not change the microSD card (does not format the microSD card), the system will start naming from 0005.
2) If you changed the microSD card (formats the microSD card), the system will start naming from 0001.
[Continuous] The system will start naming from 0005 regardless of whether you changed the microSD card (formatted the microSD card) or not.
2023-1-14
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-14 22:16
Hi, Mini-G. Thank you for reaching out.

Are these index modes available on the DJI Go app for the Air 2s and Mini 3 Pro?
2023-1-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mini-G Posted at 1-16 06:33
Are these index modes available on the DJI Go app for the Air 2s and Mini 3 Pro?

Compared to DJI Go 4, the DJI Fly app is a dumbed-down, entry-level app.
DJI Go 4 has meny settings and options that are missing in DJI Fly.
2023-1-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Mini-G Posted at 1-16 06:33
Are these index modes available on the DJI Go app for the Air 2s and Mini 3 Pro?

Hi, Mini-G. DJI Air 2s supports it but not the Mini 3 Pro. Thank you for your kind understanding and for your support.
2023-1-18
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-18 04:42
Hi, Mini-G. DJI Air 2s supports it but not the Mini 3 Pro. Thank you for your kind understanding and for your support.

Hi,

I can’t seem to find this on the app, can you take a screenshot and post it?
2023-1-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mini-G Posted at 1-18 06:23
Hi,

I can’t seem to find this on the app, can you take a screenshot and post it?

Unfortunately the Moderators here cannot be relied on for accurate information about DJI drones.
There's no indication that any of them even fly drones.

The Air 2S uses the DJI Fly app.
No drone using the DJI Fly app has the options you've been asking about.
2023-1-18
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 1-18 12:10
Unfortunately the Moderators here cannot be relied on for accurate information about DJI drones.
There's no indication that any of them even fly drones.

Wow! Terrible they don’t know which app is compatible with what drone
2023-1-19
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

Been asking for customisable file names for months but just get a thanks for your suggestion reply when you say it here.
2023-1-19
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

Hi,
Simply, why just not use date and time as a reference. I do not think that could ne to difficult and that you you can go wrong this way. You can go on for ever. I am sure this has already been suggested. Some  cameras are using this system. This can not be too difficult to do. I have noticed this problem when I have recorded on differenced SD cards and have to as an example put a 1 or 2 in front of the video numbers on the previous card  in order not to not over write the earlier video when copying to a specific folder on my computer. It should just be very simple to do in my mind.
2023-1-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Mini-G Posted at 1-18 06:23
Hi,

I can’t seem to find this on the app, can you take a screenshot and post it?

Hi, Mini-G. Thank you for the reply. I'm so sorry for the confusion, upon checking again, I have confirmed that both of the devices you provided do not support that File index mode function. Rest assured that your suggestion above has been forwarded to tour relevant team. Thank you for your kind understanding and support.
2023-1-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-21 02:57
Hi, Mini-G. Thank you for the reply. I'm so sorry for the confusion, upon checking again, I have confirmed that both of the devices you provided do not support that File index mode function. Rest assured that your suggestion above has been forwarded to tour relevant team. Thank you for your kind understanding and support.

Rest assured that your suggestion above has been forwarded to our relevant team. Thank you for your kind understanding and support.
Isn't it about time you people retired that worn out copy-and-paste response to everything?
I've heard it a thousand times now, but nothing ever comes of it.
You can rest assured that the more you use it, the less convincing it is.
2023-1-21
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 1-21 03:57
Rest assured that your suggestion above has been forwarded to our relevant team. Thank you for your kind understanding and support.
Isn't it about time you people retired that worn out copy-and-paste response to everything?

Agreed, Hate to say it but it does loose it effectiveness and genuineness.
2023-1-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Labroides Posted at 1-21 03:57

Hi, Labroides. We apologize if we can only do so much. Please know that all suggestions need to undergo evaluation and unfortunately, that takes time.  Also,  all customers can provide their suggestions and we will be more than happy to forward them to our relevant team but not everything will be approved as there may be some limitations such as technical or firmware limitations. Hoping for your kind understanding.
2023-1-22
Use props
Trantor
New
Germany

Hi Gamora,
thank you for your elaboration. I do understand the limitations and processes involved in such feature suggestions. In Order to improve the "being-heared" feeling of us customers, it would be very helpful to have some kind of feedback from the developers. For example, this could be a listing of feature request plus their backlog categorie such as [denied, endorsed, planned, implemented, rolled out in version x.xx]. This would provide the longed for feedback and avoid frustration from using/reading the same pharses over and over again.

An excellent example of this process done right is how the computer game "Enshrouded" handled their early-access user feedback:
It is
https enshrouded dot featureupvote dot com
(seem I am not allowed to post the URL as an URL - despite you offer it in your forums UI? Another potential room for improvement...)

This would save you and your customers a lot of frustration. I believe this could be done very similarly for DJI and I would strongly encourage you to suggest using a similar scheme to your approrpiate teams/processess.
4-23 23:47
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Trantor Posted at 4-23 23:47
Hi Gamora,
thank you for your elaboration. I do understand the limitations and processes involved in such feature suggestions. In Order to improve the "being-heared" feeling of us customers, it would be very helpful to have some kind of feedback from the developers. For example, this could be a listing of feature request plus their backlog categorie such as [denied, endorsed, planned, implemented, rolled out in version x.xx]. This would provide the longed for feedback and avoid frustration from using/reading the same pharses over and over again.

That's never going to happen
4-24 02:51
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules