Tablet with GPS necessary? iOS or Android?
1460 10 2015-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pasta Rhymes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19304 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi there,

I just ordered the Inspire and now I need to get a another tablet because my iPad mini 1 won't work according to the DJI Inspire spec sheet.
My biggest problem is that I don't know what to buy with a tight budget and even though we already use several Apple products at home, spending another $500 on a stupid tablet just seems ridiculous.
What do I really need? What advantages would i have with a tablet that has GPS? What can you do with the iOS app that you can't do with the Android app?

There are some really cheap Android tablets out there that makes me consider going with Android for the first time in my life. Especially since this tablet would be used with the Inspire exclusively...
Oh, one more thing: The mobile device holder is included in the package, right?
2015-8-17
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 824672 ft
United States

Im hearing if you want the follow me to work, when it comes out, you will need to have a GPS device.
You can get a Ipad Mini 2 w/Data for under $300
2015-8-17
Use props
Pasta Rhymes
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hi tapboxer,
thank you for your reply.
Does the fly home button work without GPS? To my knowledge it is based on the position where the drone took off, correct?

I have been checking Apple's refurbished store and the cheapest suitable iPad including data was still $349 plus tax. Where did you see them for under $300?  
2015-8-17
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Search the forum, this has been covered over and over again
2015-8-17
Use props
ageelectrical
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Whe you download the app from the App Store it lists the tablets that it works on  ,you do not need a tablet with gps  you can tether to you phone to save you flight location map to the app the controler as gps  built in so if you use the control as home point it will return to the control  location  android tab is the cheapest way to go down ,but I find with the iPads they just seem to work  plug in an go without messing about ,but come at a cost the app will work on iPhone 5s&6 so if you got one of those use that
2015-8-17
Use props
Pasta Rhymes
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Unfortunately I only have the iPhone 5. I thought about the iPhone 6 but I think I wanna go with a bigger screen to be able to see everything on it.
2015-8-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

I think one of the best tablets to use is the iPad 2 mini with  Cellular  or GPS as you said
2015-8-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

But the GPS is not necessary.
2015-8-18
Use props
Pasta Rhymes
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Is it possible to enter flying routes with a predefined speed and height in the DJI app so that the Inspire just flies this route and comes back upon completion?
2015-8-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Pasta Rhymes Posted at 2015-8-19 06:49
Is it possible to enter flying routes with a predefined speed and height in the DJI app so that the  ...

At this time that is not possible. We are working on that though. It is a feature called Waypoints. I do not know when it will be available.
2015-8-18
Use props
Pasta Rhymes
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for the information. I just bought an iPad Air (1) without LTE/GPS. Let's see how this will work.
2015-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules