2023-1-16
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Dodo3007 Posted at 1-16 07:53
Excellent, really does a good job! Your video is very helpful. What would you change for a better result?

Better sharpness in low light
2023-1-16
Use props
Prezzodrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8533 ft

United Kingdom

Wow.  That’s amazing.
2023-1-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 1-16 06:17
When the lights is really powerful then it almost takes your breath away, its really a wow feeling

It certainly is.  
2023-1-16
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-16 11:31
Wow.  That’s amazing.

Thank you
2023-1-16
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

But sometimes people can see it far south in Europe when it is really strong, think it's the same for some of US states too
2023-1-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 1-16 14:06
But sometimes people can see it far south in Europe when it is really strong, think it's the same for some of US states too

Unfortunately, not able to see it all the way down here in Florida.  No problem, I'm planning a trip to Iceland and Greenland for October - November timeframe and hope to see something like the below at that time.
NL.jpg
2023-1-16
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It was seen up in Scotland in the last few days I think.
2023-1-16
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-16 14:14
Unfortunately, not able to see it all the way down here in Florida.  No problem, I'm planning a trip to Iceland and Greenland for October - November timeframe and hope to see something like the below at that time.

I can recommend Iceland, not sure about Greenland since it is more remote.

That image is from Ålesund, it's like far south from here in middle of Norway.
2023-1-16
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-16 14:14

Very nice DT, I’m heading to Lofoten Islands in March hope to shoot this scene as I’m staying pretty close.
2023-1-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 1-16 14:42
I can recommend Iceland, not sure about Greenland since it is more remote.

That image is from Ålesund, it's like far south from here in middle of Norway.

I've been to both before but only for a brief stay.  This time will be there for over a week.  

I wasn't sure where the image was from but when I searched for Northern Lights and found it I knew that was what I was seeking to see in person.  Thanks for letting me know the location.  I will do my best to get back to Norway one of these days.  My only visit to Norway was to Kristiansand.  Lovely city by the city with some great seafood.
2023-1-17
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-17 04:22
I've been to both before but only for a brief stay.  This time will be there for over a week.  

I wasn't sure where the image was from but when I searched for Northern Lights and found it I knew that was what I was seeking to see in person.  Thanks for letting me know the location.  I will do my best to get back to Norway one of these days.  My only visit to Norway was to Kristiansand.  Lovely city by the city with some great seafood.

I stayed in Iceland for a year. And I thought UK was dull in the Winter? The weirdest food I ever tried was there. It was called hakarl and blew my head off.

It is a beautiful country though. Never been to Norway or Sweden.
2023-1-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-17 04:22
I've been to both before but only for a brief stay.  This time will be there for over a week.  

I wasn't sure where the image was from but when I searched for Northern Lights and found it I knew that was what I was seeking to see in person.  Thanks for letting me know the location.  I will do my best to get back to Norway one of these days.  My only visit to Norway was to Kristiansand.  Lovely city by the city with some great seafood.

Lofoten is the most visited place in northern part of Norway, by tourists and also by south-Norwegians. Idk why because it is just a small little fishing village with queue everywhere and few places to stay.
But it is pretty there indeed, from the point of where that picture is taken.

What kind of seafood? Kingcrab taste like eating worms
2023-1-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Hallmark007 Posted at 1-16 15:38
Very nice DT, I’m heading to Lofoten Islands in March hope to shoot this scene as I’m staying pretty close.

It's not really dark in March, but there is possible for northern lights since the season last usually to end of March before it get too bright.
In case you were after the lights
2023-1-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 1-16 15:38

Thanks hallmark, but that was not my image but the one I want to be able to duplicate.  I have a trip to Iceland and Greenland planned for September/October timeframe so hope the northern lights there will also be as dynamic.
2023-1-17
Use props
Prezzodrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8533 ft

United Kingdom

A pleasure as always!
2023-1-17
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

johansenfoto Posted at 1-17 04:49
It's not really dark in March, but there is possible for northern lights since the season last usually to end of March before it get too bright.
In case you were after the lights

Hoping to get lucky and see them, I will be around for 9 days and travelling a bit , but if not plenty of stuff to do.
2023-1-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Hallmark007 Posted at 1-17 12:41
Hoping to get lucky and see them, I will be around for 9 days and travelling a bit , but if not plenty of stuff to do.

If you are lucky there could be some fresh cod or halibu fish at restaurants there, and that's is what I can do recommend trying fresh cod if you are into fish.
And true there is a lot to see in that area, and a lot of great landscapes to capture on your card
2023-1-17
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

johansenfoto Posted at 1-17 12:55
If you are lucky there could be some fresh cod or halibu fish at restaurants there, and that's is what I can do recommend trying fresh cod if you are into fish.
And true there is a lot to see in that area, and a lot of great landscapes to capture on your card

I live on the Atlantic coast Cod is part of our weekly diet , looking forward to how the Norwegians prepare and cook it.
2023-1-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Hallmark007 Posted at 1-17 13:46
I live on the Atlantic coast Cod is part of our weekly diet , looking forward to how the Norwegians prepare and cook it.

Aha yeah then you will not be surprised since I think they will have about same ingredients here.
I love it when they have fish eggs and liver also cooked up with the fresh fish.

2023-1-17
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

johansenfoto Posted at 1-17 13:54
Aha yeah then you will not be surprised since I think they will have about same ingredients here.
I love it when they have fish eggs and liver also cooked up with the fresh fish.

That would certainly be new for me and I will try it.
2023-1-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-17 04:37
I stayed in Iceland for a year. And I thought UK was dull in the Winter? The weirdest food I ever tried was there. It was called hakarl and blew my head off.

It is a beautiful country though. Never been to Norway or Sweden.

You have to have an acquired taste to eat hakarl (fermented shark).  Personally, I didn't like smell or taste.  During my long Navy career I got to visit 64 different countries and spent a tour at the American Embassy in London.  Never could have seen all those places at my own expense for sure.  
2023-1-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 1-17 04:48
Lofoten is the most visited place in northern part of Norway, by tourists and also by south-Norwegians. Idk why because it is just a small little fishing village with queue everywhere and few places to stay.
But it is pretty there indeed, from the point of where that picture is taken.

Tried some fish soup and had lobster.  Not sure what type of fish was in the soup but it did have a really good taste.  
2023-1-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-17 14:47
Tried some fish soup and had lobster.  Not sure what type of fish was in the soup but it did have a really good taste.

Most fishsoup have cod since it is "cheapest" and easy to get.

What you should try is seal. It taste so much better than reindeer and whale.
2023-1-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 1-17 15:54
Most fishsoup have cod since it is "cheapest" and easy to get.

What you should try is seal. It taste so much better than reindeer and whale.

Interesting.  I've eaten deer, elk, bear, buffalo and shark meat but never tried seal meat.  
2023-1-18
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-18 04:39
Interesting.  I've eaten deer, elk, bear, buffalo and shark meat but never tried seal meat.

The reason I mentioned reindeer meat and whale meat is because seal tastes almost like reindeer meat but has the consistency of whale meat
2023-1-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 1-18 04:50
The reason I mentioned reindeer meat and whale meat is because seal tastes almost like reindeer meat but has the consistency of whale meat

You're convinced me.  I'll have to put eating seal meat on  my "need to do list".  
2023-1-18
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-18 05:17
You're convinced me.  I'll have to put eating seal meat on  my "need to do list".

Hot smoked seal meat is truly a delicacy.

But it need to be cooked/prepared by a good chef, else it will taste like fish-oil if the person preparing the meal doesn't know how to handle the meat.
2023-1-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 1-18 05:25
Hot smoked seal meat is truly a delicacy.

But it need to be cooked/prepared by a good chef, else it will taste like fish-oil if the person preparing the meal doesn't know how to handle the meat.

I'm going to take you word on that.  I'm not likely to ever get smoked seal meat here in the US so will have to wait until I get to a location where it is available.  Then I'll have to seek out a really good chef like you pointed out.  
2023-1-18
Use props
ScottArt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54032 ft
United States

Stunning footage! BTW, thanks for posting the details in the lower left corner.  Good to help develop my own skills!
2023-1-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Dodo3007 Posted at 1-16 07:53
Excellent, really does a good job! Your video is very helpful. What would you change for a better result?

Switch to any of my DSLR's for better quality in the darkness
2023-1-29
Use props
Dodo3007
lvl.2

Croatia

johansenfoto Posted at 1-29 11:26
Switch to any of my DSLR's for better quality in the darkness

That's for sure..
We are traveling to Tromso soon. Do you have any tips for good Northern Lights timelapse with the OA3?
2023-1-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Dodo3007 Posted at 1-29 13:40
That's for sure..
We are traveling to Tromso soon. Do you have any tips for good Northern Lights timelapse with the OA3?

Cool, Tromsø is like 30 min with plane from where I live (6 hours with car).
Only that Tromsø can have a lot of clouds and rain since it is by the coast, and a lot of light polution so need to get away from the city itself.

Settings I use is ISO 1600, 10 seconds between each shot and 8 seconds exposure (if I remember right).

2023-1-29
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Norway

Finally got to see the Northern Lights in Lofoten.

2023-3-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Hallmark007 Posted at 3-17 00:26
Finally got to see the Northern Lights in Lofoten.

[view_image]

Nice, hope you had a great stay
2023-3-17
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Norway

johansenfoto Posted at 3-17 03:49
Nice, hope you had a great stay

Wonderful great weather and northern lights, couldn’t ask for any more
2023-3-17
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

You all caught some great material of those Northern Lights Tried to catch some too with my Pocket 2 too, but unfortunately the weather was way too cloudy Oh well, maybe next time.
2023-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules