Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
"Chapters" are a problem
1522 39 2023-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FwB
lvl.2
United States

When will we be able to turn off video chapters?  The transition from one chapter to another is not fluid on the Action 3!  If I am talking it cuts me out and transistions really harshly.  I would almost return this camera if it didn't excel with everything else it does.  It's going to cause me to lose footage at some point or make some of my videos not make sense (because I have to edit out what I was saying).  I am one of the few that records for hours and has abolustly no control with what is going on.  I could be talking and doing stuff at any moment in time.  Old discontuned Sony action cameras were the only ones I know of that didnt have this chapter nonsense.  The GoPro's do it too and their transistion isnt the greatest either (but more workable than DJI's).  

Currently this is my only complaint on this camera.  Allow us to toggle chapters on and off and this will be THE action camera to get.  
2023-1-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, FwB. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. Video splitting is made in order to avoid errors resulting from files being too large, the files will split when the capacity exceeds 4GB. But I will take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you for your support.
2023-1-15
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
United States

You need to use the right tools for the job. Big editing programs like DaVinci, Premiere, iMovie, etc are not always the right tools.

You need to first join all the file segments using just a data copy, without any compression. Then you can take the result to an editing program and edit away.

Use LosslessCut to join the segments. It is a GUI wrapper for ffmpeg. It is working flawlessly and the result doesn't skip neither audio nor video frames.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=281755
2023-1-15
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

From what I did understand, you mean it make a bunch of 4GB files?
If so, then Insta360 ONE RS would be a great camera since it have no limit on filesize.

It all have to do with which filesystem on the card have been formatted in.
2023-1-16
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

agree with both Johansefoto and DJIGamora

https://forum.dji.com/thread-231351-1-1.html

2023-1-16
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 1-16 01:05
From what I did understand, you mean it make a bunch of 4GB files?
If so, then Insta360 ONE RS would be a great camera since it have no limit on filesize.

Generally, yes, it has to do with the file system, however, in this case, if you format the card in the camera and then check it on the computer, you will see that the camera does format it as an exFAT. So technically the file system would support huge files. So I believe it was DJI’s decision to still split them.

I had a different camera before that was using FAT32. And in that case every segment was split EXACTLY at the same size (4.0-something gigabyte). With the Action 3, however, the split size varies. Some files are 3.78, some are 3.8, etc. (...in case of 1080 footage)
2023-1-16
Use props
FwB
lvl.2
United States

Having chaptering because of possible errors is admitting fault.  It's basically saying your camera is faulty.  Sony mirrorless cameras do not have this issue.  Their old and discontinued action cameras did not have that issue.  You could record for hours and end up with a 100gb file if you wanted to.  You can record with the Action 3 for hours and get 100gb worth of data but its a hundred files.  Its a confusing mess and using another program to stitch them together hurts when you have only so much time to edit.

If a $14,000 cinema camera and a $150 action camera can record one long file up to the size of the SD card why can't DJI?

As a side note, I would never ask GoPro for this feature because of how faulty their products are.
2023-1-16
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

IMO" lose the whole file, or just a chapter when the camera crashes? Gopro has goprolabs for the larger chapters, and they have a   crash program built in if it crashes. think DJI crashes its done
2023-1-16
Use props
FwB
lvl.2
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 1-16 16:54
IMO" lose the whole file, or just a chapter when the camera crashes? Gopro has goprolabs for the larger chapters, and they have a   crash program built in if it crashes. think DJI crashes its done

So the camera is flawed?  Sony does not chapter.  Why is this even an issue?
2023-1-17
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

FwB Posted at 1-17 04:11
So the camera is flawed?  Sony does not chapter.  Why is this even an issue?

I hear what you're saying .  flawed, no, just chapters are what  is offered and no choice for us to choose.
2023-1-17
Use props
FwB
lvl.2
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 1-17 04:53
I hear what you're saying .  flawed, no, just chapters are what  is offered and no choice for us to choose.

I will admit I have asked for this before in the past.  I get the same answers.  The answer saying "losing a chapter is better than losing the whole video" is a wrong answer too.  If there is something with the recording or SD card you will lose all the chapters!  I had this happen with a GoPro.  I was recording for over an hour and it only gave me 2 minutes of the first "chapter" causing me to lose valuable footage!  

There is no reason in this day and age for a video to be cut up.  Allow us to control the length and size of the video.  Allow us to toggle chaptering off!  Sony did this 10 years ago (and still does this).  One video recording, one file.
2023-1-17
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

seems its not much of an interest for DJI as well others here.
2023-1-17
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 1-17 15:49
seems its not much of an interest for DJI as well others here.

On one of the facebook groups someone claims to be able to switch it on and off in basic settings but won't publicly say how.
I don't believe it, nothing in the settings has any bearing on chapter length.
2023-1-19
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

4wd Posted at 1-19 02:36
On one of the facebook groups someone claims to be able to switch it on and off in basic settings but won't publicly say how.
I don't believe it, nothing in the settings has any bearing on chapter length.

thank you  but ther will be no  removal of chapters unless DJI does a firmware update and that will not be any time soon.  was noted to get a Insta by someone or a gopro and use goprolabs
2023-1-19
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

On one of the facebook groups someone claims to be able to switch it on and off in basic settings but won't publicly say how.
I don't believe it, nothing in the settings has any bearing on chapter length.

There is one camera that I can’t remember which, that does ask for max file length but not the Action. Not a lot you can do to get around it really.
2023-1-19
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-19 05:07
There is one camera that I can’t remember which, that does ask for max file length but not the Action. Not a lot you can do to get around it really.

It doesn't bother me anyway the Mini 3 pro and mavics before it were the same.
2023-1-19
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It does limit sports and drone people though. The only option is to drop down to 1080p so more time is available for videoing or do everything in quick bursts!

It’s never affected me since I never take long clips but I can see that could be a real pain for certain users.
2023-1-19
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

WHen I owned a  JVC camcorder, I was able to  record   one file for the whole tape and if it ripped I could sply repair it. today its all digital and guess  editing all the chapters is added work today.
2023-1-19
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can still do the same with my Sony camcorders and mirrorless cameras. Canon limit you to just 30 minutes a pop!

My first film video camera actually was a film camera and did 4 minutes max!! No sound.  It had to be shown via a projector, with me playing live music for them, spliced together......

Then I went posh to digital video tapes. 30 minutes, 45 minutes and 1 hour cartidge tapes. Pure luxury.

I also did a lot of slides and printed my own cibrachrome prints from them in the attic!

2023-1-19
Use props
FwB
lvl.2
United States

Tell the fish to bite during the short bursts lol...  Being able to turn off chapters is a pretty big deal.  Please DJI allow this.
2023-1-19
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

On one of the facebook groups someone claims to be able to switch it on and off in basic settings but won't publicly say how.
I don't believe it, nothing in the settings has any bearing on chapter length.

"someone claims to be able to switch it on and off in basic settings"
I honestly wonder if he is confused by the settings for screen off after x minutes recording.
- but dare not suggest it as he is bizarrely cantankerous and defensive.
If you know a way to stop chapters why would you not just describe it - we will only say does not work or wow it works.
2023-1-19
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FwB Posted at 1-19 11:38
Tell the fish to bite during the short bursts lol...  Being able to turn off chapters is a pretty big deal.  Please DJI allow this.

Do you use the ‘loop’ feature for fishing? Or is it better to just leave the camera rolling?

I was thinking about going fishing when the weather improves and take the camera. I was think that maybe I’d let the loop roll…….

I live near the river Eden and caught a big Chubb on a lure last year and thought I might go back and have another go with my camera.
2023-1-19
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

All DJI has to do is offer a command to the firmware and done.

Did you reach out to  one of their departments rather the support forum where its more a   trouble with the camera and a lot of check the official firmware, DJI did take  peoples comments over the  last three years and here we are today asking about the same things that never went through.

https://www.dji.com/contact?site=brandsite&from=footer
2023-1-19
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
United States

"...using another program to stitch them together hurts when you have only so much time to edit..."
The program doesn't do recompression (unlike any other editing program) so it literally takes a few seconds to join the file segments. If you don't have 30 seconds to join hundred gigs of segments (or just 5-10 seconds when you join just tens of gigs), then I'd say it's more of a lifestyle issue as oppposed to file segmentation :-)
2023-1-19
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FwB Posted at 1-19 11:38

The loop can be set to an hour or longer. At least that’s my understanding.
2023-1-20
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 1-19 19:06
"...using another program to stitch them together hurts when you have only so much time to edit..."
The program doesn't do recompression (unlike any other editing program) so it literally takes a few seconds to join the file segments. If you don't have 30 seconds to join hundred gigs of segments (or just 5-10 seconds when you join just tens of gigs), then I'd say it's more of a lifestyle issue as oppposed to file segmentation :-)

It isn't even that difficult if you sort them by name in Premiere you can select all and drag across to timeline like one file.
It takes no additional time at all if that is somehow a problem.
I often use mine as dashcam and usually do that, then cut out what I don't want to use.
2023-1-20
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

the days of MS-DOS

CD (Enter) copy/b 0. mp4+1. mp4+2.
2023-1-20
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 1-20 04:09
the days of MS-DOS

CD (Enter) copy/b 0. mp4+1. mp4+2.

Many people prefer to work with the Terminal to do things even today.

Many video editing programs or media viewers use FFmpeg for their encoding/decoding function. FFmpeg also has an insane amount of terminal commands that you can use and these apps simply a GUI for the underlying terminal commands.
2023-1-20
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

and many like for  chapters to g o away
2023-1-20
Use props
brettb3
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Chapters a issue?
2023-1-31
Use props
FwB
lvl.2
United States

Yes a huge issue for anyone recording an actual video.  I want to capture action.  Sometimes that action takes up to an hour to happen.  Also if you are on a motorcycle  and vlog for more than X minutes you end up with multiple files.  Imagine what insanity a two hour ride would be with the amount of small clips created by said trip.  Sony does one file per recording.  Why cant we get the CHOICE to do that?  If you like chapters than you can keep it that way.  
2023-1-31
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Not sure if chapters is the right word since it split files in same size/length.

But the problem with splitting files is that you get a sound gap between each clips no matter how fast the card is.
I see it many times when recording for longer times, but usually it haven't been a problem, but my latest video it was quite noticable.
2023-1-31
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

johansenfoto Posted at 1-31 14:41
Not sure if chapters is the right word since it split files in same size/length.

But the problem with splitting files is that you get a sound gap between each clips no matter how fast the card is.

Have you tried this?

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D781%26typeid%3D781

When I do a 1.5 - 2 hour bike trip, I end up with multiple segments. So far I never had a gap.
2023-1-31
Use props
FwB
lvl.2
United States

osmonauta Posted at 1-31 16:38
Have you tried this?

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=281755&extra=page%3D3%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D781%26typeid%3D781

That is a 3rd party app.  We want the camera to do it for us so its one less step in post.  Other cameras do this including older action cameras.

The Action 3 has more than this as a problem so I may be moving back to my GoPro Hero 8.  Its the only camera that works for me (except it chapters too, at least the cuts are not as bad as the Action 3).  I had high hopes for this camera.  Its camera number 14 for me that I've tried to replace my Hero 8 with.
2023-1-31
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi FwB.
would u plz let me know the editing tool u are using?
2023-1-31
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 1-31 16:38
Have you tried this?

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=281755&extra=page%3D3%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D781%26typeid%3D781

I doubt it can fix clips that lack sound at beginning or end of a clip
2023-1-31
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 1-31 23:47
I doubt it can fix clips that lack sound at beginning or end of a clip

You said it was “between” clips, which would indicate a joining problem. If the audio is missing from the beginning/end of the clips, that sounds like a different issue.
2023-2-1
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

I like  the chapters but I do not like the THM and secondary files, if DJI has like gopro GoProlabs, its time they start one here. this camera has potential only if it works right for some people.
2023-2-1
Use props
FwB
lvl.2
United States

DJI-ytao Posted at 1-31 20:19
Hi FwB.
would u plz let me know the editing tool u are using?

DaVinci Resolve.  I rather be able to record one file than 20 in a single recording.
2023-2-1
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 2-1 01:31
You said it was “between” clips, which would indicate a joining problem. If the audio is missing from the beginning/end of the clips, that sounds like a different issue.

That is standard problem with gopro also
2023-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules