First recording chopped up
752 19 2023-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dark Horse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175276 ft
United States

I have a used but new to me A2s, this is my first attempt at recording video with it and I'm a little skeptical of how it all went down. There is aprox. 7:33 seconds of video in total, broken up into 3:15, 3:14 and 1:04. Why would it do that? I have a Scandisk extreme pro 128 card in the drone should be plenty of room to record continuosly.

Thanks!
2023-1-17
Use props
Flyin Ryan 406
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2097713 ft
United States

I’m pretty sure it’s normal. My clips aren’t usually very long but I’m pretty sure it records around 4gb of data and starts a new clip. There are no missing frames and they should seamlessly blend together as one clip in post. I think they do it so if a file has corruption issues it won’t ruin all the footage but I’m not really sure honestly.
2023-1-17
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flyin Ryan 406 Posted at 1-17 16:14
I’m pretty sure it’s normal. My clips aren’t usually very long but I’m pretty sure it records around 4gb of data and starts a new clip. There are no missing frames and they should seamlessly blend together as one clip in post. I think they do it so if a file has corruption issues it won’t ruin all the footage but I’m not really sure honestly.

just to clarify what "post" means, since the op may not have ever done anything with video files after completing a recording else he would have known that you almost never ever work with just one big video clip.  post means post-production which is what you do with your videos after you've recorded them such as add audio, correcting the color, editing the clip, or joining multiple clips together.

if you end up with 3 clips, it takes about 45 seconds to stitch them together into one long clip using any modern video editing software.  or, any modern video player will play all of your added video clips continuously without stopping simply by inserting all clips into the playlist function.  if anything, it is a tiny tiny inconvenience for anyone who needs some other solution and unfortunately, i don't know anyway around it with the dji drones.

just wanted to expound on that before the technical folks chime in with card formatting, potential video corruptions, and the inevitable video-recorder tariff loophole explanation.
2023-1-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Dark Horse. Thank you for reaching out, and apologies for any inconvenience caused. Flyin Ryan 406 and The Saint are both correct. Due to the limitation of the SD card file system and to protect the safety of your footage, the video will be automatically split when the size of the video reaches 4 GB size. This is a normal phenomenon. We recommend that you use software to stitch them. If you use a phone for post-processing, we highly suggest using DJI Fly App's built-in editor first. Alternatively, you may use third-party editors like inShot, Adobe Premiere Rush, Quik, and KineMaster. The only disadvantage when using a mobile phone is that you can only export 720p and 1080p resolution videos. If you use a computer, the recommended software are FFmpeg, MP4Tools, Adobe Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve, Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple QuickTime, and Apple iMovie. The exportable resolution mainly depends on the computer hardware configuration. We hope this clarifies your concern. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Have a nice day!
2023-1-17
Use props
blue_canyon21
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23302795 ft
United States

Avidemux is a good software for quick and easy stitching of the clips.
2023-1-17
Use props
Dark Horse
lvl.4
United States

Flyin Ryan 406 Posted at 1-17 16:14
I’m pretty sure it’s normal. My clips aren’t usually very long but I’m pretty sure it records around 4gb of data and starts a new clip. There are no missing frames and they should seamlessly blend together as one clip in post. I think they do it so if a file has corruption issues it won’t ruin all the footage but I’m not really sure honestly.

Thank you, I wasn't sure if it was an issue, as I recall my mini never did this.
2023-1-18
Use props
Dark Horse
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-17 18:39
just to clarify what "post" means, since the op may not have ever done anything with video files after completing a recording else he would have known that you almost never ever work with just one big video clip.  post means post-production which is what you do with your videos after you've recorded them such as add audio, correcting the color, editing the clip, or joining multiple clips together.

if you end up with 3 clips, it takes about 45 seconds to stitch them together into one long clip using any modern video editing software.  or, any modern video player will play all of your added video clips continuously without stopping simply by inserting all clips into the playlist function.  if anything, it is a tiny tiny inconvenience for anyone who needs some other solution and unfortunately, i don't know anyway around it with the dji drones.

Thank you, I wasn't sure if it was an issue, as I recall my mini never did this.
2023-1-18
Use props
Dark Horse
lvl.4
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 1-17 19:50
Hi, Dark Horse. Thank you for reaching out, and apologies for any inconvenience caused. Flyin Ryan 406 and The Saint are both correct. Due to the limitation of the SD card file system and to protect the safety of your footage, the video will be automatically split when the size of the video reaches 4 GB size. This is a normal phenomenon. We recommend that you use software to stitch them. If you use a phone for post-processing, we highly suggest using DJI Fly App's built-in editor first. Alternatively, you may use third-party editors like inShot, Adobe Premiere Rush, Quik, and KineMaster. The only disadvantage when using a mobile phone is that you can only export 720p and 1080p resolution videos. If you use a computer, the recommended software are FFmpeg, MP4Tools, Adobe Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve, Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple QuickTime, and Apple iMovie. The exportable resolution mainly depends on the computer hardware configuration. We hope this clarifies your concern. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Have a nice day!

2023-1-18
Use props
Dark Horse
lvl.4
United States

blue_canyon21 Posted at 1-17 20:17

Thanks, I'll take a look.
2023-1-18
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8533 ft

United Kingdom

blue_canyon21 Posted at 1-17 20:17

Thx for the tip babe
2023-1-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Dark Horse Posted at 1-18 09:14

You're welcome. Happy flying!
2023-1-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dark Horse Posted at 1-18 09:14

as I recall my mini never did this.

Your Mini did ... all DJI drones do it.
2023-1-19
Use props
Dark Horse
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-19 03:39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rizlX48G5Vk

From several years ago with my mini. My longest video, 6:24. Whether because it didn't reach the data limit or what, I don't know. But I never had video seperate with my mini, so this concept was foriegn to me.
2023-1-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dark Horse Posted at 1-19 03:51

It's not a time limit, it's a file size limit and all DJI drones have been doing it for years.
2023-1-19
Use props
blue_canyon21
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23302795 ft
United States

With the Mini having 2.7k as its highest resolution, you could probably get to 10 or 12 minutes of video before requiring a file split. So, it was pretty unlikely that anybody would even notice that it did that.

The Mini 2, however, has 4k resolution and that is what most people will use. 4k 30fps will result in a split roughly every 5:27.
2023-1-19
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

i have to ask just so i understand the thinking.  i believe most people start and stop their video recording instead of starting at the beginning of the flight, recording everything, and then stopping the record whenever they land. if you fly for 20 minutes and you take video at 3 separate locations for 1 minute each and you start/stop the video recording at each of those locations, do you still expect to have one video clip which is 3 minutes in length?

i think it is likely that everyone has dealt with multiple video clips on the microsd card at some people in their flying career.  is the concern how to manage the break and stitch together what should be one continuous clip?
2023-1-19
Use props
Dark Horse
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-19 08:44
i have to ask just so i understand the thinking.  i believe most people start and stop their video recording instead of starting at the beginning of the flight, recording everything, and then stopping the record whenever they land. if you fly for 20 minutes and you take video at 3 separate locations for 1 minute each and you start/stop the video recording at each of those locations, do you still expect to have one video clip which is 3 minutes in length?

i think it is likely that everyone has dealt with multiple video clips on the microsd card at some people in their flying career.  is the concern how to manage the break and stitch together what should be one continuous clip?

I've never edited any videos in any way. So if I started and stopped 3 times I would expect 3 different videos. I'm not familiar with editing, stitching. When I just recorded this last video with the A2s, I was caught off guard by the 3 seperate videos. Initially I thought it just didn't record everything, then when I went back and looked through the files I saw another portion and then the third piece. One thing I wondered was why it did that and then how much was missing between each clip. You've answered both of those questions and now I get it about the resolution difference and why my mini would record for so long without a break whereas my A2s breaks very 3 minutes.
2023-1-19
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dark Horse Posted at 1-19 09:34
I've never edited any videos in any way. So if I started and stopped 3 times I would expect 3 different videos. I'm not familiar with editing, stitching. When I just recorded this last video with the A2s, I was caught off guard by the 3 seperate videos. Initially I thought it just didn't record everything, then when I went back and looked through the files I saw another portion and then the third piece. One thing I wondered was why it did that and then how much was missing between each clip. You've answered both of those questions and now I get it about the resolution difference and why my mini would record for so long without a break whereas my A2s breaks very 3 minutes.

ok sounds good.  it's really helpful when editing videos to handle them in segments; the computers today are pretty good but 3-4-5gb files are still pretty hefty.  when i get done flying for the day, i often have 18-20gb in video clips so i find it helpful to have them separated.
2023-1-19
Use props
Dark Horse
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-19 14:11
ok sounds good.  it's really helpful when editing videos to handle them in segments; the computers today are pretty good but 3-4-5gb files are still pretty hefty.  when i get done flying for the day, i often have 18-20gb in video clips so i find it helpful to have them separated.
[view_image]

There's a lot of drone with the A2s, I'm still getting acquainted with it, and there's video editing which I have never done..... And then there's the balance of everyday life. Discretionary Time is not something that I have a lot of, it'll be a while before I'm up to speed. I don't mind that, there are higher priorities to me than the drones, but I do enjoy them when I use them!
2023-1-19
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dark Horse Posted at 1-19 16:46
There's a lot of drone with the A2s, I'm still getting acquainted with it, and there's video editing which I have never done..... And then there's the balance of everyday life. Discretionary Time is not something that I have a lot of, it'll be a while before I'm up to speed. I don't mind that, there are higher priorities to me than the drones, but I do enjoy them when I use them!

for sure.  i have many hobbies as well and with the pandemic from the past few years, i switched to drones as my primary hobby and it has literally sucked up all the time from 3 other major hobbies that i enjoyed equally.  i havent ridden my motorcycles in over a year and i havent been to the gun range in over 2 years.  between flying different drones, learning about them, editing, going on trips with them, getting into fpv.....there simply isnt enough time when you have a full-time job and other responsibilities.  yeah i agree with you!  
2023-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules