Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mini-G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi all,

I was recently flying my Mini 3 Pro in sandy and dusty areas and was curious if any debris may have gotten into the motors.
Thankfully it was okay but it's made me wonder if these Dust Caps are a good idea.

I found this video on YouTube, and he address the concern I had about overheating, however, his tests were indoors.

Has anyone purchased these or have any thoughts about them, please share them below.

Thanks.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 5.57.06 pm.png
2023-1-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Noooo,    think of the airflow through the motor you're blocking.  
2023-1-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tried some similar ones on the Mini 2 but after the flight the motors were much warmer than without them so I took them off and tossed them in the trash bin.  I think the motor coils didn't get enough wind through them to stay cool with the caps.
2023-1-18
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

As stated above, don't bother! Use a landing mat in those conditions or hand launch and land.
2023-1-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aside from what others have said, all the photos show the caps fitted to a Mavic Mini, NOT a Mini 3 pro. At 25$ Au it's an expensive gamble if they don't fit the Mini 3 Pro and/or jam the propellers.
2023-1-18
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

there's probably a good reason why dji didn't put motor caps on the mini 3 pro.
2023-1-18
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8533 ft

United Kingdom

Do i need these on the Mini 2?
2023-1-18
Use props
Mavic57pro2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They increase the rotating mass, not recommended in my opinion.
2023-1-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-18 11:37
Do i need these on the Mini 2?

No. Don't use them. They can overheat the engines.
2023-1-19
Use props
Ken Storm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

Use them only if you have your drone on display and want to prevent dust entering the motors.

Otherwise, just let the motors cool naturally.
2023-1-19
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-19 00:38
No. Don't use them. They can overheat the engines.

Why do they sell them then?
2023-1-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-19 10:53

Because they can?
I don't know.
I don't put much on my drones.
DJI knows how to make them.
2023-1-19
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-19 13:12
Because they can?
I don't know.
I don't put much on my drones.

So i should stick to dji stuff?
2023-1-19
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-19 13:55

yes you should stick to just dji stuff.  however, imho it's ok to consider other non-dji stuff from time to time.  just depends on what it is.
2023-1-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-19 13:55

Well, just make sure you only buy what you really know you need.
Not what you think you need.
I have bought a lot of things for my first drone that I thought I would need, but....
I did not.
2023-1-20
Use props
Geo_Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Putting that caps you practically add a lot of torsion and angular force, preventing the propellers to change speed fast in order to respond to guts and other changes.
Will be toasted.
2023-1-20
Use props
Mavic57pro2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-19 10:53

To make money !
2023-1-20
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4

United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 1-19 15:01
yes you should stick to just dji stuff.  however, imho it's ok to consider other non-dji stuff from time to time.  just depends on what it is.

Do you know any examples?
2023-1-25
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-20 00:03
Well, just make sure you only buy what you really know you need.
Not what you think you need.
I have bought a lot of things for my first drone that I thought I would need, but....

Thanks.  For the moment i think i stick with just the basics.  
2023-1-25
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Seems wrong if they arent safe
2023-1-25
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-25 11:49
Do you know any examples?

i suggest you continue to follow this forum closely.  from time to time, posters will talk about certain accessories that are "harmless" or they have found have no impact on the drone or maybe they were used with the previous drone version.  
2023-1-25
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4

United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 1-25 13:02
i suggest you continue to follow this forum closely.  from time to time, posters will talk about certain accessories that are "harmless" or they have found have no impact on the drone or maybe they were used with the previous drone version.

Thx babe. Just trying to understand what i really need.
These covers seemed like a good idea when flying in heavy rain.  
2023-1-25
Use props
ThrasherG
lvl.2

United States

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-25 13:07

Your opening another can of worms here, these drones are not waterproof and should NOT be flown in the rain (heavy or light!!).

Gary
2023-1-25
Use props
vladin
lvl.1

United States

ThrasherG Posted at 1-25 14:53
Your opening another can of worms here, these drones are not waterproof and should NOT be flown in the rain (heavy or light!!).

Gary

Or maybe you can...

mavicpilots.com/threads/mini-3-pro-wet-suits-30-minutes-in-a-downpour.129019

2023-1-25
Use props
Tanasit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145509 ft
United States

I used  them before simply at first they look cool and perhaps help with dust protection but after several flights, I found out that I didn't really take off from dusty ground. I did test if the cover will cause the motor to overheat or get warmer by removing one of the covers and used the digital thermometer to check the temperature of the 2 motors (one with cover and one without)  and found no differences. Later concerning with the weight, I removed them.
The fitting is not the best because 1 of the 4 has slightly off centered hole and not seemed not to fit as others (or could be the motor case?).

People who gave reasons for not to use has their own idea and perhaps experience from other flying model which are reasonable but cool factor alone may negate those reasons for no solid proof to show.

IMG_6542.jpg
2023-1-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-25 11:55
Thanks.  For the moment i think i stick with just the basics.

That is the best way!
2023-1-26
Use props
Ken Storm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

Prezzodrone Posted at 1-25 13:07

Heavy Rain!!! Under no circumstances should you fly in ANY rain.

Water and electronics do not mix. A sure fire way to ruin for aircraft.
2023-1-26
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Tanasit Posted at 1-26 00:37
I used  them before simply at first they look cool and perhaps help with dust protection but after several flights, I found out that I didn't really take off from dusty ground. I did test if the cover will cause the motor to overheat or get warmer by removing one of the covers and used the digital thermometer to check the temperature of the 2 motors (one with cover and one without)  and found no differences. Later concerning with the weight, I removed them.
The fitting is not the best because 1 of the 4 has slightly off centered hole and not seemed not to fit as others (or could be the motor case?).

They look great!

Also what lanyard or strap are using on your RC Controller?
2023-1-26
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Ken Storm Posted at 1-26 05:38
Heavy Rain!!! Under no circumstances should you fly in ANY rain.

Water and electronics do not mix. A sure fire way to ruin for aircraft.

But dji make waterproof drones.
2023-1-26
Use props
Prezzodrone
lvl.4

United Kingdom

ThrasherG Posted at 1-25 14:53

Gary

Some of the dji drones are water proof.
2023-1-26
Use props
xenoxszis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 431322 ft
Philippines

I used  them before simply at first they look cool and perhaps help with dust protection but after several flights, I found out that I didn't really take off from dusty ground. I did test if the cover will cause the motor to overheat or get warmer by removing one of the covers and used the digital thermometer to check the temperature of the 2 motors (one with cover and one without)  and found no differences. Later concerning with the weight, I removed them.

Do you recommend it? I’m planning to buy one for the reason that in my previous flight, before taking off my drone from the ground, a kid suddenly showed up and accidentally kicked my drone, and one of my motors got drowned in the sand, causing it to stick up and preventing me from taking off. Luckily, I saved it by using an air duster and a little bit of patience.
2023-6-25
Use props
xenoxszis
lvl.1
Philippines

Do you recommend it? I’m planning to buy one for the reason that in my previous flight, before taking off my drone from the ground, a kid suddenly showed up and accidentally kicked my drone, and one of my motors got drowned in the sand, causing it to stick up and preventing me from taking off. Luckily, I saved it by using an air duster and a little bit of patience.
2023-6-25
Use props
xenoxszis
lvl.1
Philippines

Do you recommend it?
2023-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules