Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Playback has a shimmering effect
851 24 2023-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
veesix
lvl.2

United States

HorizonBalancing1080p
30 fps

I notice that my recording has some type of shimmering effect on playback. I'm using the settings listed above. It happens with pretty mundane activities. I'm just testing out the camera by walking indoors and out with my dog. I suspect it does this when the camera is angled and the stabilization kicks in. Why is this happening and how do I fix it?

I'm still new to this camera so I appreciate your patience with me.

Examples:

Ok I have 2 videos. The first is me turning the camera every second or so. I think you can see how it gets fuzzy each time I turn it. The second is me shaking the camera back and forth a little more quickly. In that there seems to be a shadow of the camera’s actual movement even though the overall output is steady.

https://imgur.com/a/l3PPeqN

https://imgur.com/a/memco1A
2023-1-17
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you able to post a video showing it?
I'm wondering whether you have lights on in the house.....
2023-1-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do you have an example?
2023-1-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please send us a video sample showing the issue for us to check it here on our end? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-1-18
Use props
veesix
lvl.2

United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-17 23:59
Are you able to post a video showing it?
I'm wondering whether you have lights on in the house.....

Ok I have 2 videos. The first is me turning the camera every second or so. I think you can see how it gets fuzzy each time I turn it. The second is me shaking the camera back and forth a little more quickly. In that there seems to be a shadow of the camera’s actual movement even though the overall output is steady.

https://imgur.com/a/l3PPeqN

https://imgur.com/a/memco1A
2023-1-18
Use props
veesix
lvl.2

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-18 20:53
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please send us a video sample showing the issue for us to check it here on our end? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

I added a couple links to examples in a post above. Thank you.
2023-1-18
Use props
veesix
lvl.2

United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-18 02:10
Do you have an example?

2023-1-18
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Something very wrong there. The shimmering effect looks like it’s worse on the edges than the centre. I think maybe the camera is faulty……

I can't think of any setting that might cause that! I wonder whether there is a problem with its stabilisation.?
2023-1-18
Use props
veesix
lvl.2

United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-18 23:37
Something very wrong there. The shimmering effect looks like it’s worse on the edges than the centre. I think maybe the camera is faulty……

I can't think of any setting that might cause that! I wonder whether there is a problem with its stabilisation.?

This is most apparent on the horizon nodes but it’s also apparent on the steady modes. Of course, when stabilization is off I don’t see either the shimmering or shadows.

Btw, I did a factory reset and confirmed the latest firmware was v01.02.10.10.
2023-1-19
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You could try changing the shutter to minimum 1/100 or even 1/200
You need pro mode and then tap shutter top left, it gives you range options for shutter and ISO
2023-1-19
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

veesix Posted at 1-19 00:36
This is most apparent on the horizon nodes but it’s also apparent on the steady modes. Of course, when stabilization is off I don’t see either the shimmering or shadows.

Btw, I did a factory reset and confirmed the latest firmware was v01.02.10.10.

As 4WD says, stabilisation can make things worse if your shutter is very slow, but that looks like a fault to me. Might be a good idea to register a problem with DJI or swap it if you can.
2023-1-19
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

how does it act in Full Sun the same. we can offer suggestions but you may want to get with the return for a new one
2023-1-19
Use props
veesix
lvl.2

United States

Fishycomics Posted at 1-19 04:21
how does it act in Full Sun the same. we can offer suggestions but you may want to get with the return for a new one

It seems to be ok in full sun outdoors which is going to be the use case. Of course, if it’s faulty though I’d want to swsp it out. Purchased on Amazon so it should be fairly easy.
2023-1-19
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Because it’s Amazon, they are brilliant at switching. I would do a switch and let Osmo sort it out. It looks weird to me and not like the normal ‘twitch’ that you get from slow shutter speed. Better to be safe than sorry.

Even if you have to just return for refund, I would and then buy it again when you get your money back.

The Action has one of the best stabilisations around. I get twitches in poor light at most, but you're getting the 'full Monty' there!
2023-1-19
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

veesix Posted at 1-19 11:08
It seems to be ok in full sun outdoors which is going to be the use case. Of course, if it’s faulty though I’d want to swsp it out. Purchased on Amazon so it should be fairly easy.

thank you:

1. Is this your first action camera?

2 Did you do a Calibration  to the camera via the cog under Horizon calibration, never know if that can fix the issue caused, by  shipment?

3 maybe some one can explain about EIS jitters better then me, why I  asked if you ever owned an action camera?
If you said fine in the Sun light I will have to go with EIS causing the shakes and that will be  to turn down and or off the Rocksteady and do a test with slow movements, also maybe try low priority see the settings  it give and  try to replicate it with  a higher EV rather -3.0  
2023-1-19
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If it's Ok in full sun it sounds like shutter is too slow indoors.
Left to its own devices it can try to match your frame rate at 1/25 or 1/30 even 1/50 or 1/60 will cause some wobbles.
2023-1-19
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
United States

I'd say that is normal for Horizon Balance in low light.

I did this test in complete darkness with a head light (1080, HorizonBalance, 30fps). First I tilted the camera quickly side-to-side about 45 degrees. Then, from about 18 seconds, I tilted the camera side-to-side about 10 or so degrees. I'm not worried about this because when I use HorizonBalance at 1080p @30fps on my bike under good lighting conditions, it does give me really good image quality.

Also, I don't believe there's a real life scenario where the camera would quickly tilt side-to-side 45 degrees or so. Even an airplane wouldn't move this fast (unless it's falling out of the sky).

2023-1-19
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blimey, I’ve never got mine to do that as badly!!
2023-1-20
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

chaulk it up to Rocksteady
2023-1-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

veesix Posted at 1-18 23:07

Thank you for your response and we're deeply sorry for the trouble that this has caused.  I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You may submit a ticket case at https://repair.dji.com/repair/index. Once you already fill in all the needed information, our team will contact you to provide further information on how to send the product to us. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-1-20
Use props
veesix
lvl.2

United States

osmonauta Posted at 1-19 18:42
I'd say that is normal for Horizon Balance in low light.

I did this test in complete darkness with a head light (1080, HorizonBalance, 30fps). First I tilted the camera quickly side-to-side about 45 degrees. Then, from about 18 seconds, I tilted the camera side-to-side about 10 or so degrees. I'm not worried about this because when I use HorizonBalance at 1080p @30fps on my bike under good lighting conditions, it does give me really good image quality.

Thanks for the video and I’m glad you were able to replicate this! A couple points:
  • This was with what I'd consider a good amount of light. I have an open kitchen / dining / living room space and each has its own lighting source, a combined 12 lamps and recessed lighting fixtures. It definitely wasn't the type of setup as you tested out.
  • I have footage from all the modes and it so happens this occurred on both the horizon and steady modes, just less prominently on the steady modes. There were Bo artifacts when the stabilization was off.

The shadow of the actual camera movement is still unexplained.

As you mentioned, indoor use isn't my main use case and I wasn't able to replicate this in full sun. But it did happen when I walked outside in the dark. I could see it on my door as I walked in and out.

2023-1-20
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
United States

"This was with what I'd consider a good amount of light."

Well, what YOU consider good amount of light is not necessarily what the CAMERA considers to be a good amount of light. I can turn on all my lights indoors and the camera will still perform poorly compared to outside under cloudy conditions. I did the test in darkness as the worst case scenario.

The "shadow" I believe has to do with the type of light source you have. In this video I use a 700 lumen bike light on its lowest setting (about 200 lumens). Watch as I point the light in different directions, the interference is changing. When I point the light towards the right, the interference disappears. And in other directions it is sometimes more pronounced.

Some people will say that it has to do with the frequency and I should set the camera to 50Hz/60Hz or auto. No, not in this case. That setting has absolutely no effect on the interference. Neither does the frame rate. This is a type of bike light that irritates the camera no matter whether I use 24/25/30 fps or what frequency I set the camera to in the Settings.

So that's why I believe the "shadow" that you see also has to do with the type of lighting you have at home because on the other video you posted it is not visible. And as you can see on mine, it depends on the position of the camera relative to the light source.

2023-1-20
Use props
veesix
lvl.2

United States

osmonauta Posted at 1-20 11:26
"This was with what I'd consider a good amount of light."

Well, what YOU consider good amount of light is not necessarily what the CAMERA considers to be a good amount of light. I can turn on all my lights indoors and the camera will still perform poorly compared to outside under cloudy conditions. I did the test in darkness as the worst case scenario.

Got it, so it’s just the particular lighting I’m in and nothing to be worried about? That’s fair.
2023-1-20
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
United States

veesix Posted at 1-20 12:19
Got it, so it’s just the particular lighting I’m in and nothing to be worried about? That’s fair.

That's actually easy to test. Go to different stores that have different lighting and test the camera. If you work, test it at work as well. Go to a friend's house etc and you can see how the camera behaves indoors under different types of lights, eg LED, incandescent, fluorescent, CFL, halogen, etc.
2023-1-20
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

Also, see this post about the "shimmer" FX.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D781%26typeid%3D781
2023-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules