Winter snow hike at 2500 m. OA3 did very well in supercold weather~
879 15 2023-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

Hi, I just finished a video I took during a hike in snow. Temperature was really low particularly at the top. did not measure but probably in -20C range.
OA3 never showed any sign of stress over the whole hike. Battery lasted the whole hike too. I took more clips than shown. and OA3 was always in air, not in pocket in between shots.

I did the same hike last year (more snow; much less windy; video avaialbe too in my channel) with A2 and sometimes Pocket2 when A2 did not want to work. Even keeping them in a pocket with a handwarmer, A2 was able to work only a few seconds at the top before shutting down because of low T. In the lower parts, the display was shutting down after a few seconds because of low T though it could continue working for a short while. Pocket 2 was less stressed by the low T, though the mechaincal system was somewhat suffering at the top.

Pics and some static video clips were taken with a sony cam (which I could use only a few seconds at the top before showing low battery).

2023-1-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beautiful views.  Quite a trek.    Despite the frigid temps, it appears the OA3 performed exceptionally well.
2023-1-18
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’m really interested in what Osmo have done with battery technology to have it working in such extreme temperatures. I always thought a lithium battery was just that, but somehow, the Action battery works way down in the nether regions of temperature.
2023-1-18
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

It do look beautiful up there, nice hike you did.
But it was not -20c I can see and hear
With wind the felt temperature can be around that at top, but not the real temperature. Then the snow would make a different sound and you would see it was frozen at signs and rocks etc.
Also you would had to have even more warm clothes on.
But not a warm hike indeed.
Just saying, no hating
2023-1-18
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

johansenfoto Posted at 1-18 05:09
It do look beautiful up there, nice hike you did.
But it was not -20c I can see and hear
With wind the felt temperature can be around that at top, but not the real temperature. Then the snow would make a different sound and you would see it was frozen at signs and rocks etc.

You are the cold pro! I believe you!
Well, indeed the top was really cold because of wind. Could not stay there long. My finger tips became quickly painfull and operating the OA3 buttons was a pain with gloves, as the buttons are very stiff , and not only at the top. I mostly used the Snapshot function (just press the main button and it is on). Operating the Quickswich button was a real pain. I estimated  the T using what others write on social media on the same location around that time. Could be more like -15-10C. Exercise helps keeping body T high too, so did not need to many thick layers. I had a quite thick underwear actually, + fleece+down+fleece windproof jacket.
2023-1-18
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Yaman-Python Posted at 1-18 05:35
You are the cold pro!  I believe you!
Well, indeed the top was really cold because of wind. Could not stay there long. My finger tips became quickly painfull and operating the OA3 buttons was a pain with gloves, as the buttons are very stiff , and not only at the top. I mostly used the Snapshot function (just press the main button and it is on). Operating the Quickswich button was a real pain. I estimated  the T using what others write on social media on the same location around that time. Could be more like -15-10C. Exercise helps keeping body T high too, so did not need to many thick layers. I had a quite thick underwear actually, + fleece+down+fleece windproof jacket.

Hehe I'm not a pro, just years of experience in the cold snow here

Your jacket didn't see that warm for the cold, but as long as you not stand still it will work and if have wool underneath that I guess you had there.

Hand/fingers will always freeze up, and OA3 quick start is a blessing in the cold
2023-1-18
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

As another example, I did a nearby peak a week later. Was a bit warmer and much better weather, even though I could not stay long at the windy top. This one had steep more challenging slopes. I have just uploaded it and will make it public in a few days. Here it is just for you in preview~

2023-1-18
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-18 04:20
I’m really interested in what Osmo have done with battery technology to have it working in such extreme temperatures. I always thought a lithium battery was just that, but somehow, the Action battery works way down in the nether regions of temperature.

Indeed the battery is really good in low T. I guess that DJI and others like gopro just order their batteries from other companies that are experts in the Li battery field. Then, the casing also play a lesser important role of course.  
2023-1-18
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-18 04:16
Beautiful views.  Quite a trek.    Despite the frigid temps, it appears the OA3 performed exceptionally well.

Thanks for the comment. Yes, indeed quite amazing, particularly compared to the A2 I used last year. and the battery last the whole hike. Good not having to worry about saving battery on the way.
2023-1-18
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Yaman-Python Posted at 1-18 06:02
As another example, I did a nearby peak a week later. Was a bit warmer and much better weather, even though I could not stay long at the windy top. This one had steep more challenging slopes. I have just uploaded it and will make it public in a few days. Here it is just for you in preview~
https://youtu.be/HzVBJ8LGrEk

Go hiking up those cold hills is just facinating, it's a struggle indeed
2023-1-18
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Beautifu. Ilike it....
2023-1-18
Use props
Prezzodrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8533 ft

United Kingdom

That looks cold.  
2023-1-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yaman-Python Posted at 1-18 06:33
Thanks for the comment. Yes, indeed quite amazing, particularly compared to the A2 I used last year. and the battery last the whole hike. Good not having to worry about saving battery on the way.

You're most welcome.    Probably the only slight worry was to keep the battery somewhat warm but if you were shooting quite often it then it probably didn't need to be kept warm.  
2023-1-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice with all the snow.
2023-1-19
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

Montfrooij Posted at 1-19 00:40
Nice with all the snow.

Yes, very enjoyable. It is good also because it makes it easier to walk.  In other seasons, trails in this area are very rocky and slippery, even on the flat parts,  a nightmare to walk there. Winter is best there.
2023-1-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yaman-Python Posted at 1-19 03:57
Yes, very enjoyable. It is good also because it makes it easier to walk.  In other seasons, trails in this area are very rocky and slippery, even on the flat parts,  a nightmare to walk there. Winter is best there.

Yeah, I get it.
2023-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules