1782 21 2023-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OhioDronePerson
lvl.3
Flight distance : 306552 ft
United States

Hello,

I've recently started using an M300RTK in place of the old Inspire 2.  My expectation was that I would get less images, considering how much more area is covered per image.  The reality is that I am getting significantly more images now.  This is making life difficult when it comes to processing data, jobs are starting to back up.

I have increased the overlap by just a touch.  I had been doing 75/70 with the Inspire and I'm now doing 80/70 with the M300.  That of course doesn't explain it away, just trying to be accurate.  Altitude has not changed, nor has area.

Does anybody have any ideas about this?  I've read plenty of info and seen youtube videos about the M300 capturing less images, not more.

Thanks in advance
2023-1-18
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Hi, If you have increased the overlap it is normal that there are more images. M300, but which camera? P1?
2023-1-18
Use props
OhioDronePerson
lvl.3
United States

Oh yeah, sorry.  This is using the P1.

I'm aware that an increase in overlap will result in more images, but I'm getting about double the images.
2023-1-18
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

OhioDronePerson Posted at 1-18 10:52
Oh yeah, sorry.  This is using the P1.

I'm aware that an increase in overlap will result in more images, but I'm getting about double the images.

It all depends on what you observe. If it's bare ground without relief, you can loosen the overlap. If there is relief and obstacles, it must be tightened.
The full-frame sensor allows elevation to be increased without losing resolution compared to a smaller sensor.
So at equivalent resolution and overlap,  the inspire2 must fly lower and slower than the M300+P1 which will take less photos.

In photogrammetry we do not choose an altitude. We adapt its altitude to the desired resolution in the final result.

https://visionaerial.com/what-is-ground-sample-distance/
2023-1-18
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

Did you activate/use "smart oblique"?

I use 75/75 overlap with P1 at 100m AGL, also did you add a buffer?
2023-1-19
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Arnor Posted at 1-19 00:55
Did you activate/use "smart oblique"?

I use 75/75 overlap with P1 at 100m AGL, also did you add a buffer?

"I use 75/75 overlap"
It is not recommended. The image is in 3:2 format you do not optimize. 80 70 is more adequate. If the ground is flat and without obstacle 70 60. This is the minimum.
2023-1-19
Use props
OhioDronePerson
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for all the responses so far.  I can see that I failed to give most of the necessary info.

M300RTK
P1
250' altitude
80/70 overlap
Did NOT use "smart oblique"
No buffer

That last flight that had me concerned took nearly 40 hours to process.  I believe the last time I flew it with the Inspire + X5S it only took 9-10 hours.  We fly nearly every day so I can't have it taking more than 24 hours to process as we only have one machine that's capable of doing it.

I read somewhere that I can change the photo priority from time to distance.  This is the key I think.  I looked everywhere I could think of today but was unable to locate where I could change that setting.
2023-1-19
Use props
Amed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2214019 ft
Turkey

How many mm is the lens you are using?
2023-1-19
Use props
OhioDronePerson
lvl.3
United States

35mm lens.  

I guess I have gathered from further reading that I was mistaken about the P1 w/ 35mm covering much greater area than the old X5S with 16mm lens.  Maybe it's about the same.

One thing I know would help is to get it to stop taking so many images during turns.  I counted over 200 images that were unnecessary from today's flight, which was nearly 10% of the total images.  This is why I was asking about switching from time to distance interval for the photos.

2023-1-19
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Belgium

OhioDronePerson Posted at 1-19 10:11
Thanks for all the responses so far.  I can see that I failed to give most of the necessary info.

M300RTK

You can change it in the mission > payload settings ( if I remember correctly )
2023-1-21
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Belgium

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-19 01:06
"I use 75/75 overlap"
It is not recommended. The image is in 3:2 format you do not optimize. 80 70 is more adequate. If the ground is flat and without obstacle 70 60. This is the minimum.

I get those requirements from customers, they never complained. 80/70 is the DJI recommend indeed.

ps: are you pleased with UGCS?
2023-1-21
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Arnor Posted at 1-21 03:22
I get those requirements from customers, they never complained. 80/70 is the DJI recommend indeed.

ps: are you pleased with UGCS?

For the PX4, Mavic 2 and Phantom 4 I only use UGCS. Being able to prepare flight plans on a screen other than a telephone, or at least a small screen, is important to me.

For M300 the LiDAR version is useless if you use the L1. The standard version does the job just as well, since DJI pilot 2 adds the calibration trajectories itself. For P1 its good, same reason as above.

The most useful function for my use is the integration of DSM for effective terrain follow.

I also like to use the PC client to coordinate multiple drone operators in the same area.

There are however things that bother me, I don't like the way UGCS allows to manage the overlay layers. The menu is not optimal when there are several SHP files to manage at the same time, it gets very complicated very quickly. I do not like the general interface of the software, but we do with it.

Very positive point, they are quite reactive during SDK updates, which makes the problem of incompatibility very small.
2023-1-21
Use props
Ryan H.
lvl.2
United States

There are several factors at play here. If you were using the X4s camera with the Inspire 2, then you were using a 24mm lens equivalent. Presumably now you are using the 35mm lens with the P1, so your footprint at the same flying height will be smaller, not bigger, and you will be capturing more photos. This is why so many of us are annoyed that DJI has been advertising the 24mm lens to be available for the P1, but they are not producing that lens. Apparently several are finding that the X7 24mm lens, though not made for the P1, will work, contrary to a popular article by Aerotas on the matter.
2023-1-21
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Belgium

Ryan H. Posted at 1-21 20:10
There are several factors at play here. If you were using the X4s camera with the Inspire 2, then you were using a 24mm lens equivalent. Presumably now you are using the 35mm lens with the P1, so your footprint at the same flying height will be smaller, not bigger, and you will be capturing more photos. This is why so many of us are annoyed that DJI has been advertising the 24mm lens to be available for the P1, but they are not producing that lens. Apparently several are finding that the X7 24mm lens, though not made for the P1, will work, contrary to a popular article by Aerotas on the matter.

PS: see release 2022.11.22 from https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/matrice-300/20221202RN/M300_RTK_Release_Notes_en_20221202.pdf

DJI added support for the lenses.

Optimized support for Zenmuse XT S, XT 2 and Z30.
2023-1-22
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Belgium

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-21 07:25
For the PX4, Mavic 2 and Phantom 4 I only use UGCS. Being able to prepare flight plans on a screen other than a telephone, or at least a small screen, is important to me.

For M300 the LiDAR version is useless if you use the L1. The standard version does the job just as well, since DJI pilot 2 adds the calibration trajectories itself. For P1 its good, same reason as above.

Thanks for feedback.

I really don't like the GUI, it is also a java application which make it even worse in my opinion but it adds capabilities like NOGO area, facade scan, ...

We are having an issue with the local computer connection as we don't setup a WIFI network but each controller has it's own 4G dongle.
2023-1-22
Use props
OhioDronePerson
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for all the responses.  I eventually realized that the things I had read about the M300 taking less images were comparisons to the P4, not the Inspire2.  I had been using a 16mm lens with the X5S, and it looks like I should be getting right around the same field of view now.

I managed also to find the setting to change from time interval to distance interval.  Hoping this will limit the insane amount of photos in the turns.

Last question for now.  I've heard it's possible to prevent the M300 from taking images during turns.  Does anybody know where to find this setting?  Nearly 10% of the images taken are during turns.
2023-1-23
Use props
Ryan H.
lvl.2
United States

Arnor Posted at 1-22 21:27
PS: see release 2022.11.22 from https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/matrice-300/20221202RN/M300_RTK_Release_Notes_en_20221202.pdf

DJI added support for the lenses.

I think this is what you are referring to: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... tes_en_20220928.pdf

Is it necessary to update the M300 firmware for the 24mm lens to work? It seemed that some were having success before the P1 firmware update, and the 12/5/2022 update sounds like it has been a nightmare which I would like to avoid.

Have you tried using the X7 16mm lens with the P1?

Thank you,
Ryan
2023-1-30
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Belgium

Ryan H. Posted at 1-30 15:54
I think this is what you are referring to: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Zenmuse_P1/20220928/DJI_P1_Release_Notes_en_20220928.pdf

Is it necessary to update the M300 firmware for the 24mm lens to work? It seemed that some were having success before the P1 firmware update, and the 12/5/2022 update sounds like it has been a nightmare which I would like to avoid.

I use the 50mm. Prior to FW update you had to add manually some files to the camera for the calibration.

I don't have issues with the P1 under last FW but here in the EU/BE we have painful laws and speed/altitude are limited ( and mapping area - small country ).
2023-1-30
Use props
Amed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2214019 ft
Turkey

Arnor Posted at 1-30 22:41
I use the 50mm. Prior to FW update you had to add manually some files to the camera for the calibration.

I don't have issues with the P1 under last FW but here in the EU/BE we have painful laws and speed/altitude are limited ( and mapping area - small country ).

Hello;
Can you share with us how you did the calibration process?
2023-1-30
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Belgium

Amed Posted at 1-30 22:56
Hello;
Can you share with us how you did the calibration process?

There is a calibration button in the payload, P1 settings also the new FW is giving an alert about uncalibrated lens.
2023-1-31
Use props
anejojoe
lvl.2
United States

OhioDronePerson Posted at 1-23 04:17
Thanks for all the responses.  I eventually realized that the things I had read about the M300 taking less images were comparisons to the P4, not the Inspire2.  I had been using a 16mm lens with the X5S, and it looks like I should be getting right around the same field of view now.

I managed also to find the setting to change from time interval to distance interval.  Hoping this will limit the insane amount of photos in the turns.

@ohiodroneperson, Changing the setting from time to distance helps but it still takes pictures in the turns, I have not found a way to change that yet. I believe UgCS handles it but I'm not willing to go that route yet unless we get into Lidar. I don't like the fact that I have to bring my laptop with me to a site to change my flight, usually direction to account for wind. If you do find a way to turn off pics in the turn please post it here.
Thanks.
2023-2-16
Use props
OhioDronePerson
lvl.3
United States

Changing from time to distance interval cut out a bunch of photos from the turns.  My estimate was that it reduced image count by around 6%.  Not perfect, but better than nothing.  I saw a response somewhere from DJI that said it's not possible to urn them off completely
2023-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules