Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Controller firmware update issue
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
storm1000
lvl.2

United States

Trying to update my P3P controller to the latest firmware (latest 08/04 update).  I downloaded the proper zip file from the DJI website... unzipped the file, copied the bin file over.  Followed all the proper instructions and successfully upgraded the copter.  I then removed the microSD and removed the text file with success message, then took my microSD reader usb adapater and plugged it directly into remote (per video instructions).

Turned on remote and according to instructions should start firmware update within about 60 seconds.  In my case, the remote does nothing... I get a solid red LED with remaining LEDs solid white indicating full battery charge.  Then after about 3-5 minutes it start beeping a single beep to let me know its not linking up the copter (which is correct since the copter is off).

So basically the update never starts.  As if its not recognizing the usb is even plugged in.  I tried a different microSD formatted in exFAT to see if it made any difference and got the same results.  Perhaps a faulty usb reader on the remote?  Am I missing anything?

Also, if all else fails, is it possible to update the controller firmware by inserting the microSD into the copter and letting the remote link to the copter and have it receive the update that way?  I read a different thread where someone did it that way.

Stumped at this point.  I'll try a different USB device and see if that works, but meantime please share your thoughts.  Thanks!
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

the red light and the white solid lights mean, it is not connected to p3 and it has full battery.
maybe it does not need fw update because it already has the update.
turn on RC then p3 and see if in the status screen there is a warning that tells you to update the RC
2015-8-17
Use props
storm1000
lvl.2

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-18 13:15
the red light and the white solid lights mean, it is not connected to p3 and it has full battery.
ma ...

going to do that now...  this is straight out of the box, so would it even be possible that the RC already has the 08/04 update?  I assumed factory FW was out of date, but what do I know lol
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

storm1000 Posted at 2015-8-18 13:29
going to do that now...  this is straight out of the box, so would it even be possible that the RC ...

the only way possible would be if it was an opened box and somebody updated the rc and then returned it or you got a brand new p3 out of the oven!!lol
who knows what is possible right now.
u can stick the bin file back in it, make sure p3 is off, and read the txt file it will create. make sure you scroll all the way down to the last line. see what the txt file says.
and yes you can hook up to gimble usb and update that way. make sure the sd in the gimble has the bin file on it
2015-8-17
Use props
storm1000
lvl.2

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-18 13:36
the only way possible would be if it was an opened box and somebody updated the rc and then returne ...

yea so I got the message on the DJI GO app that says the RC needs to be upgraded.  Confirmed that.  I can see a video image and my device is hooked via USB to the remote, so obviously the USB port on the remote works.  Beyond me why the RC doesn't recognize when I plug in a simple USB/sd card reader drive into it.

So now I need to try the firmware update via connection straight from the drone.

So I plug the provided USB cable... one end into the gimbal and the other into the USB port on my controller yes?  (and yes all assuming just the bin file is on the micro sd card) ...  what order should I turn on the devices for the firmware update after I have it all hooked up?  P3 first then RC, or other way around?

2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

storm1000 Posted at 2015-8-18 13:58
yea so I got the message on the DJI GO app that says the RC needs to be upgraded.  Confirmed that. ...

yes correct. sequence : p3 on first (only in this case) wait 1 minute, then turn on controller.
let me know how it went
2015-8-17
Use props
storm1000
lvl.2

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-18 14:00
yes correct. sequence : p3 on first (only in this case) wait 1 minute, then turn on controller.
le ...

Actually... positive turn of events.  Totally within the DJI GO app... I clicked the upgraded needed error message and was prompted to download the newest firmware, so I clicked download and it just downloaded it immediately, then an 'upgrade now' button appears... I hit it... suddenly the RC starts updating properly..... blue light, beeping, all the good stuff...  it finishes successfully. Message says to reboot RC.. so I do... now its all spic and span... 100% ready.  WTF!  That was too easy LOL.  Next is to actually get this sucker in the air, but so far we're back on track
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

storm1000 Posted at 2015-8-18 14:07
Actually... positive turn of events.  Totally within the DJI GO app... I clicked the upgraded need ...

yes one can upgrade via the app now, actually the only way from this version and on.
i am glad it is good to go, i dont know where u live in the states, but it is too dark to fly so dont even try it, go to sleep!! LOL
as always i warn everyone to read the section on CSC in the manual so you dont cut off motors mid flight and cost yourself a big heart ache.

good luck and have fun
2015-8-17
Use props
storm1000
lvl.2

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-18 14:12
yes one can upgrade via the app now, actually the only way from this version and on.
i am glad it  ...

LOL... no I wasn't going to fly now... sometime tomorrow I'll try it haha.  But thanks for your quick response to my questions.  Very much appreciate it and I will report back once I have flying results.  Have a good night
2015-8-17
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

storm1000 Posted at 2015-8-18 14:14
LOL... no I wasn't going to fly now... sometime tomorrow I'll try it haha.  But thanks for your qu ...

happy to help. dont forget CSC. good night
2015-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules