Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronethemoment
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9021293 ft
  • >>>
United States

01-19-2023 - Sunset Hyperlapse Mavic 3.jpg

I just got a new Mavic 3 and upgrading from the Mavic 3 Classic.  I've done hours and hours of hyperlapses but never seen this in the Mavic 3 Classic or the Mini 3 Pro, however, the mavic 3 on hyperlapse has artificats / reflections from the lights in this screenshot.  At first I thought it was alien spaceships or airplanes in the distance, but as I watched back I can see the glare moving with the lights in the scene, especially as I change altitude.

Very odd thing when I got my Mavic 3 "brand new" in the box, the lens cover was laying in the bottom of the bag the mavic was packaged in.  Unlike the Mavic 3 Classic which had the lense cover attached.

Anyone else seeing this?  Is it a bad lens cover?
2023-1-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

That "lens cover" is a UV filter.
No .. yours is fine, but you are getting tiny flares because you have the camera staring at three bright lights that are directed straight at the lens.
Just avoid bright lights that are pointing directly at the camera.

2023-1-20
Use props
dronethemoment
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-20 13:58
That "lens cover" is a UV filter.
No .. yours is fine, but you are getting tiny flares because you have the camera staring at three bright lights that are directed straight at the lens.

Good call, I was on a course lock doing almost 7mph grabbing the last of the battery I could after another hyperlapse.  I didn't see those lights in my path until I got much closer.  Thanks!
2023-1-20
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hi Dronethemoment,

I get these when I am shooting onto the sun , it seems you might be having the same like Labroides mentioned hitting those bright light sources head up are giving you the lens flares. They look very similar to what I get when pointing the drone onto the sun. Hope this helps.

Take care, Mike.
2023-1-20
Use props
dronethemoment
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mzp Posted at 1-20 14:13
Hi Dronethemoment,

I get these when I am shooting onto the sun , it seems you might be having the same like Labroides mentioned hitting those bright light sources head up are giving you the lens flares. They look very similar to what I get when pointing the drone onto the sun. Hope this helps.

I get the colored ones when looking at the sun from an angle also, those are normal.  We flew the mini 3 pro and mavic 3  last night and the same shot from the mini 3 pro does not produce this glare.  The mavic 3 classic didn't either.  Something has to be up with the lens cover that was laying unattached to the drone when it arrived.  I'll discuss with dji support or try an ND filter or something.
2023-1-21
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

dronethemoment Posted at 1-21 13:50
I get the colored ones when looking at the sun from an angle also, those are normal.  We flew the mini 3 pro and mavic 3  last night and the same shot from the mini 3 pro does not produce this glare.  The mavic 3 classic didn't either.  Something has to be up with the lens cover that was laying unattached to the drone when it arrived.  I'll discuss with dji support or try an ND filter or something.

Good luck with it, hoping you can figure it )
2023-1-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, dronethemoment. Thank you for reaching out. We absolutely understand your concerns. When capturing in an intense light scenario, such as an environment full of light at night, capturing light indoors, or an environment with strong sunlight, optical refraction and reflection will occur as the lens has a certain thickness and is not 100% pervious to light. As such, you will see a “glare” on the camera view or final photo. This is a normal optical phenomenon. Please feel free to use your product. Also, the imaging effect is not the same as the camera structure design between different products varies. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-1-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Unfortunately, this is very common, but somehow not every lens reacts to this in the same way.
The internal reflections are probably not the main priority when designing them. ,

My iPhones started doing this after I got my SE2020 (previous models did not have this).
I have owned a lot of DSLR lenses and some had this, some did not.
The more pieces of glass there are, the more chance for this reflection.
On my camcorder, it depends on the amount of 'zoom' I apply if I see these reflections or not.
Long story short, nothing you can do about it.

So to minimize the risk, don't put extra glass on your lens. (filters)
2023-1-23
Use props
dronethemoment
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 1-23 00:53
Unfortunately, this is very common, but somehow not every lens reacts to this in the same way.
The internal reflections are probably not the main priority when designing them. ,

Thank you!  I totally understand that some camera lenses cause this, but it's not apparent on the Mavic 3 Classic or the Mini 3 Pro - but it is apparent on the Mavic 3 that I got which costs around $400 more than the Mavic 3 Classic.   Just not sure if it's something I was expecting buying the Mavic 3 over the classic.  I'm still testing it out, and don't have any ND filters that will fit the mavic 3 anyways, all mine were for the classic and they are different.
2023-1-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

dronethemoment Posted at 1-21 13:50
I get the colored ones when looking at the sun from an angle also, those are normal.  We flew the mini 3 pro and mavic 3  last night and the same shot from the mini 3 pro does not produce this glare.  The mavic 3 classic didn't either.  Something has to be up with the lens cover that was laying unattached to the drone when it arrived.  I'll discuss with dji support or try an ND filter or something.

It's lens flare and all lenses will show it to some degree when you have a bright light source shining directly at the lens.
An ND filter won't make a scrap of difference.
Your testing with other drones might not have had the cameras in exactly the same position and angle.
It's unlikely that the folks at DJI "support" even know about flare so I wouldn't trust much that they tell you.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/lens-flare.htm
2023-1-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

dronethemoment Posted at 1-23 06:03
Thank you!  I totally understand that some camera lenses cause this, but it's not apparent on the Mavic 3 Classic or the Mini 3 Pro - but it is apparent on the Mavic 3 that I got which costs around $400 more than the Mavic 3 Classic.   Just not sure if it's something I was expecting buying the Mavic 3 over the classic.  I'm still testing it out, and don't have any ND filters that will fit the mavic 3 anyways, all mine were for the classic and they are different.

It's hard to tell on forehand if a lens will produce these flares, unless you test for this specifically.
Apparently they (DJI) did not put too much attention to internal reflections (or prevailed something else over it).
Don't add more glass.
More glass = more change for flares.
Unless you remove the clear one.
I sometimes do that with my DSLR lenses (remove the UV filter I have on all of them). That helps a lot with these reflections.
2023-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules