Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Major Serious Bug - Distorted Audio with External Mic
14904 237 2023-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ankit341
lvl.1

India

DJI-ytao Posted at 3-1 06:52
Thanks for the footage and Here is some updates:
the distorted audio happens because the audio signal has been too loud when coming from the 3rd party adapter. the digital gain of the current action3 setting is unable to tune down the already exploded audio.

So you all can make a specific mic adapter in line with OA3 that serves the purpose. It will also streamline we as a customer as we dont have to think among so many available adapters before buying. We will buy that OA3 adapter suggested by you.
2023-3-6
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

ankit341 Posted at 3-6 00:46
So you all can make a specific mic adapter in line with OA3 that serves the purpose. It will also streamline we as a customer as we dont have to think among so many available adapters before buying. We will buy that OA3 adapter suggested by you.

Thanks for the suggestion and we will consider this.
2023-3-6
Use props
ankit341
lvl.1

India

DJI-ytao Posted at 3-6 01:20
Thanks for the suggestion and we will consider this.

May we know a timeline till when we expect the firmware update or a mic adapter suggestion from you so that we have an clear idea as many of our youtube series is fully dependent on this mic issue resolution.
2023-3-6
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

DJI will tell you Please check the  update page and they can not promise a fix, that fast, can take months ,and  we asked for  something stupid easy its  reality complicated for them
2023-3-7
Use props
djiuser_8KaTYzwKBmhW
New
United Kingdom

Totally agree with your comment, it doesn’t work, I’m gutted I thought this was going to be the one. The audio is terrible when the visor is down on the helmet.
2023-3-14
Use props
djiuser_8KaTYzwKBmhW
New
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 1-22 18:25
Did you guys see my video I posted here?
The BOYA mic work great WITHOUT helmet on, but with helmet on even -12 is distorted. so OP is right.
But with cheap mic from ebay it works great.

Which cheap mic send a link so I take take a look.
2023-3-14
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

djiuser_8KaTYzwKBmhW Posted at 3-14 06:45
Which cheap mic send a link so I take take a look.

I can't remember which, just bought one at ebay long time ago for like 2-3 dollars
2023-3-14
Use props
djiuser_9bBvG1HRHoz7
lvl.1
India

When can we expect next firmware update regarding audio ?

it's not at all good, using cynova adaptor and rode lavilier mic.  Audio is capturing outer sound more. Feeling regret, should have gone for go pro. I bought it  for motovlogging.
2023-3-28
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

last update was months ago, they  are slow at work I say. priority is important, sound is not in this case, so lets hope sooner then later,

2023-3-28
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

djiuser_9bBvG1HRHoz7 Posted at 3-28 10:54
When can we expect next firmware update regarding audio ?

it's not at all good, using cynova adaptor and rode lavilier mic.  Audio is capturing outer sound more. Feeling regret, should have gone for go pro. I bought it  for motovlogging.

gopro for motorvlogging is not great, if you like camera to stop recording all time
2023-3-28
Use props
djiuser_9bBvG1HRHoz7
lvl.1
India

johansenfoto Posted at 3-28 11:17
gopro for motorvlogging is not great, if you like camera to stop recording all time

But major concern is audio, for all creators that is not provided by DJI, go pro is better in that case, hope so new update will resolve it
2023-3-28
Use props
djiuser_9bBvG1HRHoz7
lvl.1
India

Fishycomics Posted at 3-28 11:05
last update was months ago, they  are slow at work I say. priority is important, sound is not in this case, so lets hope sooner then later,

Yes, let's wait for the same
2023-3-28
Use props
TravelFit
lvl.1
India

hi everyone !

is there any official mail ID where we can post our audio problem with DJI
2023-3-28
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

djiuser_9bBvG1HRHoz7 Posted at 3-28 16:15
But major concern is audio, for all creators that is not provided by DJI, go pro is better in that case, hope so new update will resolve it

I understand, then you have insta360
2023-3-29
Use props
winding
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hi,

Like many others also registered just for this thread.

I have an Osmo Action 3, and connected a Kiwibird usb audio to digital converter to it to connect a purple panda microphone. As with most it just keeps clipping. Setting the gain lower does help, but doesn't remove the issue.

See the image below.

The gain is clearly lowered... the peaks are all 6db below the maximum as I set in the camera... except... where the cursor is... here the audio exceeds the limit and is clipped/noisy.

Has anyone tried to just lower the input volume before the digital to audio converter??? It does appear to be an issue in the digital system. The purple panda uses a trrs connector... not sure if there's an inline volume control available for trrs....
2023-3-29
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

one cable as a gain control of many out there  https://amzn.to/3M0tI6F
https://amzn.to/3JM0oxS

DIY  make  your own  ends up, etc and you be all set .
this is a USB c  and trrs I  would modify it for my needs https://amzn.to/3ZjsoPi
2023-3-29
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Come on DJI, can we have a resolution to this long standing problem once and for all.

Should we really have to plug a microphone into an adaptor into an adaptor into the OA3? (or as Fish suggests cannibalise the cables) It's not on!
2023-3-29
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi all. Thanks for the feedback.

Updates:
We did lots of tests and confirm that a specific mic adapter is the best solution for this issue.
We are working on this and it takes several months for the production.
2023-3-29
Use props
soamjena
lvl.2
Indonesia

DJI-ytao Posted at 3-29 04:26

Updates:

Thank you, finally.
So, basically this will be a DJI adapter ?
And any dates please ?
2023-3-29
Use props
winding
lvl.1

Netherlands

Fishycomics Posted at 3-29 03:27

The top one looks interesting, but I'm not sure it'll work... it says headphone control... so does the volume knob on the wire influence the mic line as well or just the tip and first ring for the left and right earphones?? I see lots of in-line volume control but this is controlling the headphones... there tends to only be a mute button for the microphone.

The USB one says "volume remote" so I"m not sure the volume control is internal to the wire.

I tried a few things, but none are satisfactory. Maybe I'll try to connect a cheap lavalier tomorrow, but I need to purchase a trrs plug for it first.

This looks closer to a solution, but way too bulky: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SYNCO-S6E-S6M-S6R-S8/dp/B08CR5D4PC

2023-3-29
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

winding Posted at 3-29 10:09
The top one looks interesting, but I'm not sure it'll work... it says headphone control... so does the volume knob on the wire influence the mic line as well or just the tip and first ring for the left and right earphones?? I see lots of in-line volume control but this is controlling the headphones... there tends to only be a mute button for the microphone.

The USB one says "volume remote" so I"m not sure the volume control is internal to the wire.

you will need to find one I got one in hand its a trs gain control, maybe later I'll demo on a camera
2023-3-29
Use props
winding
lvl.1

Netherlands

I also found this one... By Comica. There's a version with a trrs connector, one with lightning and one with usb-c... they all look like they have gain control for the microphone... Do need a battery to run though sadly.

2023-3-29
Use props
winding
lvl.1

Netherlands

Sorry about multiple posts, but I wanted to give an update...

I did some testing today. With the help from some electrically versed friends I soldered a trrs plug onto an old very cheap brandless lavalier mic... recorded with that and it is fine. On the motorcycle in heavy winds! See the waveform below... no excessive clipping. Recorded at -6db on the osmo action, but I think it'd be fine at -2 as well.

Then my friends advised me to try putting a resistor on the more expensive purple panda mic. They said 1 kilo ohm... well... that didn't do anything at all... In hindsight one of them says he already thought 1k was too little. I may try with a heavier resistor.

I also purchased the Comica lavalier I posted before... and that has a realy nice volume control. See the waveform below... I started recording at 0... turned up the volume whilst talking and turned it back down towards the end... Be aware I tested with the Comica that has a trrs ouput, not a usb-c output. I doubt the usb-c option would work with the osmo action because I don't think it actually has an analog to digital converter in it!

So the comica looks like it should work as well. I've not tested it on the bike yet! I'm tempted to open it up to see what's inside. Sadly it does indeed require a battery to function.

I can definitely confirm the kiwibird hifi audio usb-c adc works with my cheap mic
2023-3-30
Use props
winding
lvl.1

Netherlands

Another little update.... also tested a Boya BY-K4 Adapter and that works similar to the kiwibird. It's fine with my cheap microphone, but no good with more expensive/sensitive lavaliers.
2023-4-5
Use props
fans8bd7e6a9
lvl.1
United States

winding Posted at 4-5 06:00
Another little update.... also tested a Boya BY-K4 Adapter and that works similar to the kiwibird. It's fine with my cheap microphone, but no good with more expensive/sensitive lavaliers.

So you are using the Comica with an adapter as your setup? How does it do with wind?
2023-4-5
Use props
tomalak007
lvl.1
United States

The more I think about this, I wonder if the reason why none of these usb-c to 3.5mm adapters work is because the DAC  amplifies the signal for headphones?
2023-4-5
Use props
Rocktheasphalt
lvl.4
Switzerland

DJI-ytao Posted at 3-29 04:26

Updates:

This is, what i would like to have for Motovloging. TRS or TRRS does not matter much. The important Part is: Waterproof and solving the other issiues.

2023-4-7
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nice simple setup.
If that had an extendable (waterproofed) cable it would also be useful to a lot more users and not so niche.
2023-4-7
Use props
winding
lvl.1

Netherlands

fans8bd7e6a9 Posted at 4-5 06:27
So you are using the Comica with an adapter as your setup? How does it do with wind?
I am using another cheaper mic I still had, but the comica + adapter should be fine.
2023-4-10
Use props
Kevin Smith2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 246 ft
United Kingdom

Watch till the end. Maybe Rode have the answer….

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ebw3RjrqPTs&feature=share
2023-4-11
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A lot of work went into creating that video and it goes to highlight the problems moto vloggers are having with action cams in general. I hope that DJI take the time to look at the video.
That said, hats off to DJI - their own system (in my mind) ties equally with the final resulting setup... but with both systems, at what price? and only of use in fine weather!

I have tried a DJI standalone tx/recorder in my helmet but there's so little room it was picking up my breathing, sniffing and cursing other traffic too much.
Since then I have trialled an Audio-Technica omni lav ATR3350 plugged into the DJI tx/recorder in my top jacket pocket and had my best results to date. It's a battery operated mic which complicates matters but the beauty is that the USB door on the OA3 stays closed and the tx/recorder and mic battery all stay dry in my top pocket. The video of that test is unlisted but soon I will do one I can show on my channel.
2023-4-11
Use props
Kevin Smith2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tested the camera with the cheapo huawei headphones/mic and I’m gobsmacked that it works….. I’ve added a quick YouTube link to my quick ride today. All a bit rushed and also with a chest infection lol.

https://youtu.be/pbsbeRyDx1o
2023-4-12
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Kevin Smith2 Posted at 4-12 11:25
Tested the camera with the cheapo huawei headphones/mic and I’m gobsmacked that it works….. I’ve added a quick YouTube link to my quick ride today. All a bit rushed and also with a chest infection lol.

https://youtu.be/pbsbeRyDx1o

It sound good indeed, only need some wind muffs
2023-4-12
Use props
Kevin Smith2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 4-12 12:12
It sound good indeed, only need some wind muffs
Yes I agree I need to get the windsock on it. However for the size of it and ease of placement I’m delighted. I’ve been watching the guys with the DJI wireless setup and tbh I don’t think for a single motovlog setup with no other external mics used to record the exhaust etc there isn’t much in it.
2023-4-14
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Not sure if you guys remember I did mention that GP have another kind of wind noise reduction, here at this clip you can clearly hear it
when it is in auto from 3:55 and a few seconds out in video

2023-4-15
Use props
djiuser_Q5O8d7g6rhVQ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 225564 ft
Poland

It is a BIG mistake buying this DJI crap. Audio is horrible, No Facebook livestream. I will never buy this DJI crap again. GoPro Rulez!
2023-4-16
Use props
lutzmix
lvl.4
Germany

Fishycomics Posted at 3-29 03:27

trs mic + trs vol control cable + boya k4 adapter

length 50cm
IMG_20230418_180205.jpg
2023-4-18
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

lutzmix Posted at 4-18 08:01
trs mic + trs vol control cable + boya k4 adapter

length 50cm

totally Awesome, thanks for the Update, if others want that route they should get on that Bandwagon
2023-4-18
Use props
lutzmix
lvl.4
Germany

new test for motovloggers

2023-4-18
Use props
djiuser_J4zv68jwzqxv
lvl.1
India

I also have same issues I have been tried almost 6 mic but Dji osmo action 3 don’t work with those mic now I don’t know what should I do . Should I throw camera? Dji or you will find any solution?
2023-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules