Major Serious Bug - Distorted Audio with External Mic
15393 237 2023-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_J4zv68jwzqxv
lvl.1
India

DJI Wanda Posted at 1-29 19:36
Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Our engineers would like to further analyze your issue.
Would you please support us and transfer the required data for us?

I also have same issues I have been tried almost 6 mic but Dji osmo action 3 don’t work with those mic now I don’t know what should I do . Should I throw camera? Dji or you will find any solution?
2023-4-24
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

djiuser_J4zv68jwzqxv Posted at 4-24 01:43
I also have same issues I have been tried almost 6 mic but Dji osmo action 3 don’t work with those mic now I don’t know what should I do . Should I throw camera? Dji or you will find any solution?

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know what mics and adapters you have tried so far?
2023-4-24
Use props
djiuser_LAryJi6K7P0G
New

India

I bought dji action 3 over gopro hero 11 for MotoVlog but it was my worst decision, everything is perfect in dji except audio quality, because of this one reason we can't use it for MotoVlog. Don't know when dji solve this issue better they could have add auto gain like gopro. But they are playing property game with dji mics.
Hope they will provide some solution otherwise it will be a useless camera for motovloggers.
2023-4-24
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

cheap usbc samsung headset

Samsung EO-C100

2023-4-24
Use props
arpit_nnd
lvl.2
India

I really like how versatile the camera is, but the audio clipping often limits it for people trying to capture their exhaust sounds in motovlog via external mics.
I recently picked up a Boya BY V20 & after trying several different mic positions, I couldn't find any setting where the audio won't clip. At -12 db, it's pretty good at medium speeds, but high higher engine revs, it just starts to clip again, ruining the entire audio.
DJI could you please include further lower gain levels like -30 db or so?
I understand that it may be too low for some setups, but having an option that solves it for some would be great.
2023-4-25
Use props
PhilTonic
lvl.1
Germany

The gain input level is not a mic sensitivity setting. If the signal coming from your mic is already clipping you can't save it with the camera. By setting the gain to -12dB on the OA3 your camera audio will simply clip at -12dB instead of 0dB. That's what the main problem regarding external mics is. Most of them are too sensitive to place in a helmet. With the Samsung headset mic it works alright, as long as you're not talking too loud.

Another option is to use a Rode AI Micro audio interface. It takes TS, TRS and TRRS mics and you can set the input sensitiviy via App on your phone. It is bus powered, so no extra unit that could run out of battery during a ride. The Samsung mic is also available as TRRS and gives you loads more room until the audio starts clipping, even if it's set to 100% sensitivity on the Rode AI micro.
2023-4-27
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’ve always wondered whether there is an impedance mismatch going on because the same mics don't distort into other cameras.
2023-4-27
Use props
fanse8be6327
lvl.1
Netherlands

So I have been using a few products from DJI for the past few years. I do landscape photography and am a long-time motorcycle rider with a few long trips. I never owned an action cam (apart from the DJI pocket, which I love). I just occasionally borrowed one from a friend for specific trips. I decided to invest in an action cam this year, mostly because I am planning a month-long motorcycle trip. I would love to keep some memories after the preparation effort (and the covid madness that halted everything).
The DJI Action 3 looks perfect, but the sound issues (which I have seen in many different videos) are unacceptable. Most unacceptable is the advice of certain vloggers to invest another 200+ euros in a DJI mic that works with the camera! Unfortunately, this looks like a deal breaker. I don't care about the small details, as being a photographer for many years, I learned to avoid pixel peeping. In reality, no one pays attention to the small details. It's the impacting details that matter (stabilisation, colour quality, sound), and an unusable sound from ANY compatible paid mic is a product failure. We are riders, and there is not much we can do about it. Additionally, it seems that DJI is the only respectable camera suffering from this problem.
I just posted my first message. If this helps to solve the issues, looking at the history of the messages and the responses of DJI regarding the solution (which most probably is going to be another paid solution) I am nearly sold to move to another company and even a previous model to spare some extra €
2023-4-27
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

fanse8be6327 Posted at 4-27 07:06
So I have been using a few products from DJI for the past few years. I do landscape photography and am a long-time motorcycle rider with a few long trips. I never owned an action cam (apart from the DJI pocket, which I love). I just occasionally borrowed one from a friend for specific trips. I decided to invest in an action cam this year, mostly because I am planning a month-long motorcycle trip. I would love to keep some memories after the preparation effort (and the covid madness that halted everything).
The DJI Action 3 looks perfect, but the sound issues (which I have seen in many different videos) are unacceptable. Most unacceptable is the advice of certain vloggers to invest another 200+ euros in a DJI mic that works with the camera! Unfortunately, this looks like a deal breaker. I don't care about the small details, as being a photographer for many years, I learned to avoid pixel peeping. In reality, no one pays attention to the small details. It's the impacting details that matter (stabilisation, colour quality, sound), and an unusable sound from ANY compatible paid mic is a product failure. We are riders, and there is not much we can do about it. Additionally, it seems that DJI is the only respectable camera suffering from this problem.
I just posted my first message. If this helps to solve the issues, looking at the history of the messages and the responses of DJI regarding the solution (which most probably is going to be another paid solution) I am nearly sold to move to another company and even a previous model to spare some extra €

So true, but to be fair, it's one of the few that offers built in microphone support. It would be so easy, if DJI could really base their recommendation on true experience and not lab testing.

But there are users here that give exact these hints. It is just not so easy to sort out, which fit ones needs best. And - unfortunateliy - sound and motorvlogging is not trivial.

If DJI could eventually release an own audio adapter with controllable input. Using the DJI mic often is just cracking a nut with a sledgehammer...
2023-4-27
Use props
fanse8be6327
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJ DJ Posted at 4-27 08:31
So true, but to be fair, it's one of the few that offers built in microphone support. It would be so easy, if DJI could really base their recommendation on true experience and not lab testing.

But there are users here that give exact these hints. It is just not so easy to sort out, which fit ones needs best. And - unfortunateliy - sound and motorvlogging is not trivial.

I am not looking for the perfect sound, I am looking for the acceptable one. And yet DJI has not placed a single recommendation even for that level on this topic.
I would be okay with that (and I imagine people who invested in workarounds even more), I am a software engineer, and I understand that there will always be bugs. Yet I expect a company that values customers to provide a solution/recommendation for the people affected by it.
I will not stop every time on a 400 km/day trip to check if my mic (which I paid for) is working as expected.
Yes, I saw the DJI mic (and any mic that the gain can be adjusted) works, yet DJI released a new firmware just yday, and there is no single mention of the issue or even a temporary solution.
2023-4-27
Use props
fanse8be6327
lvl.1
Netherlands

I will leave this here, just for reference
2023-4-27
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

fanse8be6327 Posted at 4-27 09:08
[view_image]

Exactly what DJI should have in it's portfolio. One offers a versatile microphone adapter, that DJI does not until now. I take the many vague anouncements from DJI with a grain of salt. Hope dies last, but confidence slowly disappears.
2023-4-27
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

fanse8be6327 Posted at 4-27 08:58
I am not looking for the perfect sound, I am looking for the acceptable one. And yet DJI has not placed a single recommendation even for that level on this topic.
I would be okay with that (and I imagine people who invested in workarounds even more), I am a software engineer, and I understand that there will always be bugs. Yet I expect a company that values customers to provide a solution/recommendation for the people affected by it.
I will not stop every time on a 400 km/day trip to check if my mic (which I paid for) is working as expected.

... and in each recommendation from the DJI support you find different microphones or adapters ...
Sometimtes (or more often than not) I doubt, they really know what they are talking about.
2023-4-27
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

fanse8be6327 Posted at 4-27 09:08
[view_image]

Read all your posts here and have some points:

Boya BY-K4 adapter and Boya lav-mic get boosted too much, in a helmet makes it even worse.
Same adapter with a noname cheap lav-mic bought from ebay, works great in helmet, but will only give sound on left channel so need to be fixed in post (easy fix).
DJI says the BY-K4 adapter boost sound, and I have done theese tests with -12db.
Not sure about other adapters or usb-c lav-mic that doesn't need an adapter.

What I plan to do this season and what I have used many times before; is using external recorder and sync audio in post later on. Then I will have full control over audio.

About Insta360 One RS, I have it too, really great camera. But it tend sometimes to get unsynced sound. And that is a pain to fix.
2023-4-27
Use props
PhilTonic
lvl.1
Germany

There are at least two cheaper options than using the dji mic. You can find all of it on YouTube.

1. Normal lav mic, USB C adapter and an inline volume control adapter set to about 30% volume. I prefer the adapter from the shure flight kit but any will do. All of them will add a certain degree of white noise.

2. Normal lav mic plugged into a Rode AI Micro, which connects to the Action 3 via USB C. You can feed the Rode with two seperate channels and adjust the input gain. They cost about 70€.

Both solutions will give you clean audio that won't distort/clip.
2023-4-27
Use props
fanse8be6327
lvl.1
Netherlands

PhilTonic Posted at 4-27 23:41
There are at least two cheaper options than using the dji mic. You can find all of it on YouTube.

1. Normal lav mic, USB C adapter and an inline volume control adapter set to about 30% volume. I prefer the adapter from the shure flight kit but any will do. All of them will add a certain degree of white noise.

Thank you for the tips! I appreciate it and all the users who have tried to overcome this problem.
I still have time before my trip begins, so I am evaluating the solutions. Does anyone know if you can hook the intercom (cardo) mic as the cam mic? If yes, what kind of adapters are needed?
2023-4-28
Use props
Kevin Smith2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 246 ft
United Kingdom

I am just in the process of trying out a cardo with this. I’m going to use the Rode ai-micro and hook one of the inputs to my lave and the other to the output from the cardo using an audio splitter
2023-4-28
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

fanse8be6327 Posted at 4-28 08:06
Thank you for the tips! I appreciate it and all the users who have tried to overcome this problem.
I still have time before my trip begins, so I am evaluating the solutions. Does anyone know if you can hook the intercom (cardo) mic as the cam mic? If yes, what kind of adapters are needed?

@Rocktheasphalt know about using intercom and OA3, I still haven't tried it with my Cardo
2023-4-28
Use props
Kevin Smith2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Has anyone here that has been following this saga and the perceived wisdom of using the DJI wireless mic setup actually been that impressed with it for motovlogging? I’ve watched all the usual suspects with their wireless setups and tbh I’m left a little bit underwhelmed with the results.
2023-4-28
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI wireless mic is not any use in wet weather which for me is an important consideration in UK weather.
Have sent you a message.
2023-4-28
Use props
Rocktheasphalt
Second Officer
Switzerland

fanse8be6327 Posted at 4-28 08:06

Try the Avantree C81 Bluetooth Adapter for your Cardo, it should work with any Bluetooth headset according to Avantree.

But I can't guarantee that it will work! I made a video about it, under which intercom systems are posted from time to time that work reliably with it. If you don't want to risk the 30 dollars, you can drop by there from time to time.

2023-4-28
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Rocktheasphalt Posted at 4-28 14:12
Try the Avantree C81 Bluetooth Adapter for your Cardo, it should work with any Bluetooth headset according to Avantree.

But I can't guarantee that it will work! I made a video about it, under which intercom systems are posted from time to time that work reliably with it. If you don't want to risk the 30 dollars, you can drop by there from time to time.

I had to watch your video again, and the sound is so great with this Bluetooth adapter, so I just ordered it. Will receive it in like 10+ days.
2023-4-28
Use props
fanse8be6327
lvl.1
Netherlands

Rocktheasphalt Posted at 4-28 14:12

This looks really good I think this is also a nice clean solution! And don’t see a reason for it not to work with the Cardo!
2023-4-28
Use props
Rocktheasphalt
Second Officer
Switzerland

johansenfoto Posted at 4-28 15:16
I had to watch your video again, and the sound is so great with this Bluetooth adapter, so I just ordered it. Will receive it in like 10+ days.

If you get the studio version of Davinci Resolve, you can get even more out of it.
2023-4-29
Use props
Rocktheasphalt
Second Officer
Switzerland

fanse8be6327 Posted at 4-28 22:48
This looks really good I think this is also a nice clean solution! And don’t see a reason for it not to work with the Cardo!

I'm currently testing a custom firmware for this adapter, which is even better suited for this purpose.
2023-4-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Rocktheasphalt Posted at 4-29 01:02
If you get the studio version of Davinci Resolve, you can get even more out of it.

I have just installed Davinci Resolve 18.5 Studio Beta now, got the package in mail 1 hour ago
2023-4-29
Use props
Rocktheasphalt
Second Officer
Switzerland

johansenfoto Posted at 4-29 06:01
I have just installed Davinci Resolve 18.5 Studio Beta now, got the package in mail 1 hour ago

The first thing I tried when I got my studio version was trying to save the audio from my old GoPro recordings...
2023-4-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Rocktheasphalt Posted at 4-29 13:17
The first thing I tried when I got my studio version was trying to save the audio from my old GoPro recordings...

I tried the auto subtitles function and also the function to remove background sound. Both works great.
2023-4-29
Use props
djiuser_Q5O8d7g6rhVQ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 225564 ft
Poland

I have found solution for this problem.
Arimic double head lavalier RTTS connector (you may record your voice and sound from your intercom)
McDodo adapter RTTS to USB C with DAC.
Microphone sensivity set to 0 dB.
All working fine with no sound distortion on motorcycle.

Anyway OA3 is a BIG SH1T with distortions and no Facebook livestream!!!
I am returning to GoPro.
IMG_6316.jpeg
2023-5-14
Use props
Schmoof
lvl.2
United States

Hey DJI... remember me?  Oh that's right, you completely ignored not only my posts and dozens of other peoples when these SAME ISSUES were reported with video proof on the original Osmo Action 2+ years ago...

I feel terrible for your latest customers who unfortunately, like I did, trusted that DJI would eventually attempt to address these issues... clearly with the Osmo Action 3, reading through this thread and others, nothing has changed!

For anyone reading this and wondering why I'm even posting this years later... below is my original post on this forum from fall 2020 and a video showing the audio issue clear as can be... DJI did absolutely nothing about it.  I just like the OP of this thread and many others spent WAY too much time and additional money trying to get this thing to work as it should have out of the box!

I just happened to watch a review on YT of the OA3 and wondered... hmm, did they finally fix the issues from the original?!  NOPE!  I am honestly sorry to see this thread and find that nothing has changed.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=225521

You can see the issue both on the graph and on the level meters here, please skip to 5:38 into the video...
2023-6-13
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

That video is 1 year old and with the first Osmo Action and not OA3.
2023-6-13
Use props
Schmoof
lvl.2
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 6-13 23:42
That video is 1 year old and with the first Osmo Action and not OA3.

The SAME ISSUE happening on the OA3 as the OA1, two years later, reported dozens (maybe hundreds?) of times to DJI, here in the forum and all over YouTube... with video proof demonstrating the issue.

If you love your OA3 rock on... but some of us, myself included, feel completely ignored and ripped off.

Companies make mistakes... it's the fact that they ignore us and do nothing about it that cheeses us off.

2023-6-14
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Schmoof Posted at 6-14 09:18
The SAME ISSUE happening on the OA3 as the OA1, two years later, reported dozens (maybe hundreds?) of times to DJI, here in the forum and all over YouTube... with video proof demonstrating the issue.

If you love your OA3 rock on... but some of us, myself included, feel completely ignored and ripped off.

I do love my OA3!

If you had checked and read a bit around here on the forum, there are several of us who have researched this problem. And one solution is to use a cheap lavier mic and not from a well-known brand that most likely has built-in boost.
If you use an intercom system, you can connect with a bluetooth adapter.
The last solution is to use an external recorder.
2023-6-14
Use props
trusk
New
Flight distance : 6870 ft
Romania

I've tried all the recommendations in this thread, even bought 5 mics based on the discussions here. Nothing helps. I have a single microphone that works great, an audio tehnica but that has a bulky battery component and a 6m long cable, it's a hassle to wear it on the helmet. No other solutions and Im not about to give 400 more euros to dji for their wireless mic. I quit, this camera is a piece of junk and I'll go back to the Hero.
2023-6-15
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

trusk Posted at 6-15 23:34
I've tried all the recommendations in this thread, even bought 5 mics based on the discussions here. Nothing helps. I have a single microphone that works great, an audio tehnica but that has a bulky battery component and a 6m long cable, it's a hassle to wear it on the helmet. No other solutions and Im not about to give 400 more euros to dji for their wireless mic. I quit, this camera is a piece of junk and I'll go back to the Hero.
I doubt you have tried cheap mics
2023-6-16
Use props
Kevin Smith2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I’m afraid people don’t want to listen or watch what other people are using to get round this problem. I was out today on the bike trying the oa3 with a cheap huawei mobile phone mic. Having just reviewed the footage I can confirm that the audio is perfectly acceptable…..
2023-6-16
Use props
djiuser_CsN47L6hhu55
New

India

DJI support should release a firmware update to reduce external mic gain to -25db. Some people have high sensitive mics like rode and current firmware does not work anough to reduce wind noise. Or they should provide auto gain settings just like GoPro.
2023-7-3
Use props
winding
lvl.1

Netherlands

You know... I don't think this can be solved with firmware... I expect it's a hardware issue. The audio input is just too sensitive ... the analog part of it. It is too loud before it gets converted to digital. They should make a small adapter that converts the analog to digital at the correct level before it gets into the osmo device... You don't solve it in the camera but before it gets there.
2023-7-5
Use props
Kevin Smith2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

winding Posted at 7-5 02:21
You know... I don't think this can be solved with firmware... I expect it's a hardware issue. The audio input is just too sensitive ... the analog part of it. It is too loud before it gets converted to digital. They should make a small adapter that converts the analog to digital at the correct level before it gets into the osmo device... You don't solve it in the camera but before it gets there.
Yup, that’s exactly the issue and do you know what?……someone else has come up with the solution…..the rode micro ai……I bought one and it works perfectly

I think that for DJI to acknowledge this means that the DJI wireless mic would perhaps take a hit and therefore they don’t want to look for an alternative. In addition I’ve got the rode setup to record cardo intercom conversations perfectly.
2023-7-7
Use props
soamjena
lvl.2
United Arab Emirates

Osmo Action 4 has arrived.
Can the official DJI staff confirm here - if they released the audio adapter which they had told they will release 2 months back ?
To fix the audio issue.
2023-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules