Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why is it illegal to fly at national parks?
123Next >
6329 85 2015-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dancing phantom
lvl.1

United States

I'm a fan of flying safely. It would be a torture for me if i injured or caused problems for someone with my hobby or worse arrested. I get most of the regulations about not flying over landmarks, crowded areas, high altitudes, private property and of course near the airports. But parks?
Why can't i fly this in the park where noone is around? Isn't that a little too much? Why even buy this thing if you live in major metro area?

2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Because the politicians that we put in power think of us people as their retarded kids who need to be restricted.
2015-8-18
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-18 21:49
Because the politicians that we put in power think of us people as their retarded kids who need to b ...

I could not have said that any better myself!
2015-8-18
Use props
feethea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 387940 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fred1969 Posted at 2015-8-18 22:07
I could not have said that any better myself!

That's one of the few advantages of living here in the UK - we have National Parks and are at liberty to fly in them.
2015-8-18
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

This crap MAY have had something to do with the ban:

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/ne ... 6-baae6f00459e.html
2015-8-18
Use props
chris
lvl.2

Finland

I guess they might be afraid of a lipo fire as well,  
2015-8-18
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

I am currently on a 2 week vacation out west and have already been to a lot of the national parks and more to see on our way back home, my P3P hasn't been out of the case yet. I agree, it sucks, so many lost opportunities for great vids. I spent 4 days in Mesa Arizona visiting my son and they were having a heatwave of 115-118 degrees all week, not flying in that. Yea buzzing around the face of Mt Rushmore wouldn't be cool but from a point outside the venue would be acceptable without interfering with the tourists. national parks are huge and mostly remote with not many around and dozens of science overlooks that would have been perfect launch points for a fly around. It could be as simple as getting/qualifying for a park pass to fly with certain obvious restricted areas. In order to get these passes, you would have to prove you are competent and safety compliance to operate the UAV. Few bucks for the government and some flight time for us. better than the No Fly in place now.
2015-8-18
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

We need a President that has balls. One that will stand up and say it is OK to fly these in ALL parks.
Change all the federal parks to allow them then tell states that if they have a park either state owned or
locally owned that doesn't allow flying these then ALL federal aid is cut off.

2015-8-18
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 824672 ft
United States

I think the law states you can't fly in a NP but you can fly into a NP, you just can't lift off and land in the park... which makes no sense, but I believe thats the law
2015-8-18
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

We live in a country that rules by dumbing everything down and that elects politicians who legislate to the level of the most irresponsible, self-centered individuals.

Our lawmakers assume that, if something stupid CAN be done, it WILL be done, and they govern accordingly. Unfortunately, they are usually correct, as idiots keep doing more and more idiotic things with drones every day, and this hurts us all.

Those of us who make a living with our photo tools are the most acutely affected. Restricting our use of these tools is more than annoying; more than inconvenient; it takes $$$ out of our pocket and food off our respective tables.

2015-8-18
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

Because too many idiots flew them in bad ways. I believe a few people crashed into Old Faithful and someone else separated some mother animals and their calves. It is basically like every other "freedom," I mean rule we have in the US. A few idiots have ruined it for the rest of us.
2015-8-18
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

wordsaremything Posted at 2015-8-19 00:28
Because too many idiots flew them in bad ways. I believe a few people crashed into Old Faithful and  ...

And some study saying a drone flying over a bear raises the Bears heart rate from 55 bpm to 150 bpm, what's next ?????
2015-8-18
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

One question - your national parks are absolutely huge, are there really enough people around to catch you in the act and stop you?
I'm not condoning illegal activity, but I'm just asking how common it is to see police, guards, etc. way out in the country?
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

venomx15301 Posted at 2015-8-18 23:35
We need a President that has balls. One that will stand up and say it is OK to fly these in ALL park ...

hallelujah, but to become a president in this corrupt system, first you have to relinquish your balls to the system!!!!
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

tapboxer@gmail. Posted at 2015-8-19 00:11
I think the law states you can't fly in a NP but you can fly into a NP, you just can't lift off and  ...

yes you are right, so i park my car just outside on a good location and then fly in to it maximum 4 miles if i can and film what i find interesting
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

wordsaremything Posted at 2015-8-19 00:28
Because too many idiots flew them in bad ways. I believe a few people crashed into Old Faithful and  ...

well it shouldnt work that way, because we live in a democratic republic, therefore the few idiots should not be able to impact other responsible law abiding citizens!! the problem is the masses of law abiding citizens have been numbed into submission by lawmakers who decide based on their own agendas and pockets!!!
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Oliver Posted at 2015-8-19 01:19
One question - your national parks are absolutely huge, are there really enough people around to cat ...

well that depends whether one respects the law even if one does not believe it is correct!!
2015-8-18
Use props
Amber
New

United Kingdom

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 01:29
well it shouldnt work that way, because we live in a democratic republic, therefore the few idiots ...

Ah that is correct, but it is always the minority who rule!
2015-8-18
Use props
apsphoto
lvl.2

United States

The real problem is the idiot pilots who feel entitled that they can do whatever they want. It is not the politicians or whether or not the President has a pair. It is the entitled idiots who flew in the Emerald Pool in Yellowstone and who endangered people by buzzing them, the people crashing because they did not know how to fly. Or the idiots that chased and disturbed the animals at low altitude. Blame the responsible parties who cannot fly safe and sanely with some common sense.  That is what caused the ban.

2015-8-18
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-19 01:01
And some study saying a drone flying over a bear raises the Bears heart rate from 55 bpm to 150 bp ...

If that's all it takes that chick I saw in the bikini at Lake McDonald last month should be banned too.
2015-8-18
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

BobbyB Posted at 2015-8-19 03:01
If that's all it takes that chick I saw in the bikini at Lake McDonald last month should be banned ...

Omg rofl !!!!!! Yes you are absolutly right my heart rate would skyrocket too.
2015-8-18
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11349537 ft
United States

I'm fairly certain the regulations were in place prior to drones even existing.  And keep in mind folks, as much as I would love a President with balls too, it comes down to Congress.  We elect a President, not a King.
2015-8-18
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-19 03:28
Omg rofl !!!!!! Yes you are absolutly right my heart rate would skyrocket too.

OMG is about right.  Dude, I almost fainted.  She was so smoking hot you actually couldn't look directly at her or some body parts would turn to stone.  
2015-8-18
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

I also don't believe there are currently restrictions in all or most State parks.  At least in California.  Like Big Sur for example.  Take a look at the "no fly zone" maps, national parks are clearly mapped as "no fly zones" however if you check out Big Sur it is not.

This is a huge bummer.  Lake Powell, Utah is a place I frequent and it is exactly the type of place you want fly drones at.  To truly appreciate the landscape you need to go deep within the canyons and high above them to get the other perspective.  I have spent hours, taken decent risks, and gone to great lengths just to get a birds eye view of the canyons (ie free climbing and hiking up shaky sandstone canyons and cliffs, think Grand Canyon, polished and filled with water).  You are not allowed to fly drones, however the lake is covered with 2 stroke jet skis and waverunners.  It is also illegal to shoot off fireworks at the lake but you can't go a summer night without seeing some.  

I don't condone illegal activity either, however I have read that video footage alone isn't enough to prosecute drone usage in these parks.  I am not positive but I am fairly certain that you must be caught in the act.  Use at your own risk, but with all of the illegal fireworks it's very tempting to take to the air with, in my opinion, a much lesser evil.
2015-8-18
Use props
dancing phantom
lvl.1

United States

Seems to me that this restriction is in place in to protect wild life, natural reserves and avoid situation like this:
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/sto ... anoes-national-park

Unfortunately rule applies to all national parks although they are not all the same. I live in Staten Island and the national park recreation area pretty much takes up majority of the south shore which consist of a beach, boardwalk and marina area. I've been flying there pretty much since i got my P3P and apparently i'm breaking the law. Sometimes i fly after dark and this is also a no no.

I don't think RC hobby will pop up soon on any president agenda even one with testicular fortitude, but something needs to change. Perhaps issuing drone flying licenses and revoking them for violators would be a good idea. It really does suck, because I'm not flying this thing as much as i'd like to because i don't want to break the law.
2015-8-18
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

dancing phantom Posted at 2015-8-19 03:54
Seems to me that this restriction is in place in to protect wild life, natural reserves and avoid si ...

You are flying smart, sometimes the park rangers use common sense and know you are flying and they just back off and watch till you do something they feel will endanger a fly then they attack, but some just come at you and eat you alive, I am talking from experience, so bottom line the laws are not going away, if you have the opertuinity to fly outside of the holy ground of a park then do it and enjoy but be quick don't attract attention. I know it's sad but that's how it is.
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

apsphoto Posted at 2015-8-19 02:41
The real problem is the idiot pilots who feel entitled that they can do whatever they want. It is no ...

so by that rule: then they should also take away cars since we have drunk drivers, ban spoons because they are used to eat so much that we become obese, etc etc etc. the majority should never ever suffer because of the few!!! instead of clamping down on a healthy  hobby they should throw the book at the few that do fly irresponsibly and dangerously.
Enforce the law on the law breakers and not the ones who abide by it!!
2015-8-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

This might be a good time to fly the micro quads..
Sight unseen.. How can the rotor blades be quieted.
I bet the drones of the military and gov agencies fly much more incognito than our RC models do.

Parks are to be kept pristine, not inundated by us.  A wild gang of Camera Platform flying fiends. )-:

All the best scenery would have drones buzzing about...
That's why YouTube is so rewarding to me, we get to visit these many awesome places, throught the Phantom 3 lens of others.
But somebody has to be there in person, to fly.

RedHotPoker

RedHotPoker
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Booradley Posted at 2015-8-19 03:36
I'm fairly certain the regulations were in place prior to drones even existing.  And keep in mind fo ...

well we do have a king right now that bypasses the congress at every opportunity he gets!!!
2015-8-18
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Two giant reasons:

(1) A huge fear of lawsuits, and (2) a government that is having a love affair with regulations of all kinds so that it may hire more people to "oversee" things, and thus grow in size and power and the financial de-frocking and resulting dependence of the populace. In other words, safety and the respect for nature really have nothing to do with it (unless you fall for the rhetoric and spin).

That said, idiot flyers and sensational media have PAVED THE WAY. Unfortunately, so have the "low-information" and naive or gullible voters. Just ask yourself "5 Whys" (an old simple and unscientific series-of-questions-and-and-answers technique to determine the root causes of something) and you will find the reasons. Unfortunately, SOLUTIONS can be harder to come by.

This is why I believe WE need to get out and show folks how safe and cool these Phantom 3 "drones" are. Talk it up, folks! Show people and talk to civic groups. Be proactive to save our hobby. My Apologies for preaching...and rambling so.
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

AerialLens Posted at 2015-8-19 04:48
Two giant reasons:

(1) A huge fear of lawsuits, and (2) a government that is having a love affair  ...

to the point, well said.
2015-8-18
Use props
apsphoto
lvl.2

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 04:27
so by that rule: then they should also take away cars since we have drunk drivers, ban spoons beca ...

I agree that the offenders should be the ones punished and not the masses. That was not the question, the question was to why there was a ban. It was because of damage done by idiots in the parks, there never used to be that rule. They did extensive damage to the emerald pool and to two geysers, so they initially banned them in just a few parks, now it is in all of them because of boneheads.

The problem is people need to be responsible and be respectful, you don't like the government but it is there because people do not respect others. They push thiings until they ruin it for everyone because their attitude is they want to do anything they want, until they get caught. If there was self restraint and common sense then there would not be the need for all the rules and all the enforcement and global rules.
The solution is education and personal responsibility, then there would be no need to have all the restrictions. Look at all the idiots who text while driving. I see that so much in my everyday commute it is not funny.
2015-8-18
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 04:29
well we do have a king right now that bypasses the congress at every opportunity he gets!!!

Yep more of the same, Obama is a Demopublican and Bush was a Republocrat.  Until we see a candidate like Rand Paul get elected, we are likely to rinse and repeat.  Obama and Bush are almost identical.  

So please spare me the politics, you do not want to get me going on this.  Our residing President bypassing congress as his predecessors did, has nothing to do with why it is illegal to fly at national parks.  
2015-8-19
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Booradley Posted at 2015-8-20 00:25
Yep more of the same, Obama is a Demopublican and Bush was a Republocrat.  Until we see a candidat ...

i didnt say he did, i am just venting since this got political!! cool down buddy go fly your p3 relax. its ok if others have a different opinion on obama, really its ok. he really isnt the new messiah.
2015-8-19
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-20 00:44
i didnt say he did, i am just venting since this got political!! cool down buddy go fly your p3 re ...

Relax? Give me a break dude you are preaching to the choir.  And I'm not the one "venting" so I suppose it may be you who needs to relax?  Until you see all caps and exclamation marks all over my post, don't jump the gun for dramatic effect.  For example, I AGREE!!!!  <--- That could warrant you asking me to "relax."  Lol...  

So again man, I agree with you on the subject.  My issue here is that there are literally hundreds of thousands of outlets for you to vent your political frustrations.  There are only a handful of official DJI forums to vent about your drone.
2015-8-19
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Booradley Posted at 2015-8-20 00:55
Relax? Give me a break dude you are preaching to the choir.  And I'm not the one "venting" so I su ...

yea i suppose you are right, i shouldnt let politics get in the way. sorry bud, no hard feelings. my blood gets boiled over way too quick now days with the state of our country.
any ways have enjoyable flights and a very nice day
2015-8-19
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-20 01:20
yea i suppose you are right, i shouldnt let politics get in the way. sorry bud, no hard feelings.  ...

No apologies needed...  I couldn't agree with you more, it sounds like we are very much on the same page.

Thanks for the response, passion is a good thing.
2015-8-19
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Booradley Posted at 2015-8-20 02:01
No apologies needed...  I couldn't agree with you more, it sounds like we are very much on the sam ...

thanks. and yes well directed passion is a great thing.
2015-8-19
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

because you can catch more revenue with pi$$ and vinegar than one can with honey
2015-8-19
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

Oliver Posted at 2015-8-19 01:19
One question - your national parks are absolutely huge, are there really enough people around to cat ...

If you haven't read, the US is becoming a police state. There is enough of border patrol, coast guard, sheriff, police, state police, marshals, fish and game, rangers,  (and I probably missed one or two) one for every 575 acres +/-…..may not sound like coverage but that is immense
2015-8-19
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules