6585 15 2023-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kapchur.us
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1248743 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been trying to find a practical workflow for converting maps in QGIS into a KML file format that I can import into the Pilot 2 app for use on my M3E.  So far, the native export KML from QGIS doesn't work. Apparently that's because it doesn't attach altitude numbers.

I have nearly 100k acres of land to convert in several hundred lots, so I would rather not retrace them or manually create each one.  Those are the only solutions folks have offered me so far.  But there must be a way to export from QGIS, then use XYZ tool to convert and then import.

HOPING anyone can help with this.  THANKS!!
2023-1-23
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

From the map generates an SHP file, which you convert into KMZ with the KML Tools extension. Then in Pilot 2 open the KMZ and adjust the flight parameters.
Don't hesitate to ask if you want more details.
2023-1-23
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

You can also try the QGIS flight planner extension.
T4.JPG

Otherwise send me your source maps, it will help me give you the most optimal way I know to convert. Because 100k is still a lot.
2023-1-23
Use props
kapchur.us
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-23 23:05
You can also try the QGIS flight planner extension.
[view_image]

thank you so much!!  I'll totally check that out!

I did also find out that you CAN import the KML from QGIS into DroneDeploy without issue.  But I prefer to use Pilot 2 app for various reasons, but mostly because DroneDeploy is glitchy on M3E controller.
2023-1-24
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

kapchur.us Posted at 1-24 09:45
thank you so much!!  I'll totally check that out!

I did also find out that you CAN import the KML from QGIS into DroneDeploy without issue.  But I prefer to use Pilot 2 app for various reasons, but mostly because DroneDeploy is glitchy on M3E controller.

You are welcome.

I don't know DroneDeploy well. I turned to UGCS because at the time of purchase it was the only one to manage RTK.
I continue to make my flight plans on UGCS then I transfer them to Pilot 2. This facilitates the problems of choosing the starting point on Pilot 2, but above all the must is terrain following.
I can put a DSM with a high resolution and the software will prepare the flight plan taking into account the smallest obstacle details. This increases the quality of the photogrammetry by avoiding the difference in sharpness on certain objects or at different places on the map. It is possible with Pilot2 directly but I find it less effective.

I'm not sponsored by UGCS or even QGIS at all (although it's largely open-source), just a happy user.
2023-1-24
Use props
kapchur.us
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-23 08:25
From the map generates an SHP file, which you convert into KMZ with the KML Tools extension. Then in Pilot 2 open the KMZ and adjust the flight parameters.
Don't hesitate to ask if you want more details.

Perhaps there are just too many settings, but I cannot get the KMZ to open in Pilot too if exported like this.  However there are a ton of variable settings. Perhaps I have something checked that shouldn't be? Or need something else included?
2023-1-24
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

kapchur.us Posted at 1-24 10:34
Perhaps there are just too many settings, but I cannot get the KMZ to open in Pilot too if exported like this.  However there are a ton of variable settings. Perhaps I have something checked that shouldn't be? Or need something else included?

Ah ok I understand how you are doing. You have to add a step. Opens the KML/KMZ in Google Earth. Then click on save as, but only on the polygon.
T8.png
2023-1-24
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

kapchur.us Posted at 1-24 10:34

I just tried, because I haven't since the last update. The technique no longer works! so don't bother trying.

It does not matter, there is another method.

1/ Save the layer as KML trough the QGIS Export.
2/Open it with Notepad and copy the coordinates
3/Paste the coordinates as it is, in the text below between "coordinates"

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2">
  <Document>
    <Style id="transBluePoly">
      <LineStyle>
        <width>1.5</width>
      </LineStyle>
      <PolyStyle>
        <color>7dff0000</color>
      </PolyStyle>
    </Style>
    <Placemark>
      <name>QGISexport</name>
      <styleUrl>#transBluePoly</styleUrl>
      <Polygon>
        <extrude>1</extrude>
        <altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode>
        <outerBoundaryIs>
          <LinearRing>
            <coordinates>
Copy here and remove this text            </coordinates>
          </LinearRing>
        </outerBoundaryIs>
      </Polygon>
    </Placemark>
  </Document>
</kml>

4/Save it as .kml file
5/Enjoy it in Pilot 2

I will try to find the time to make a script to automate all this. But at least we have a temporary solution.

2023-1-24
Use props
kapchur.us
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-24 12:01
I just tried, because I haven't since the last update. The technique no longer works! so don't bother trying.

Thanks!  I'll give that a shot!
BTW, that Flight Planning add-on is COMPLICATED. I'm reading through the wiki page for it right now. Holy cow.
2023-1-25
Use props
djiuser_zyklide
lvl.4

Germany

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-24 12:01

Hi LV_Forestry,

thank you very much for sharing your knowledge
2023-2-11
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

djiuser_zyklide Posted at 2-11 06:43
Hi LV_Forestry,

thank you very much for sharing your knowledge

You're Welcome comrade.
2023-2-11
Use props
Lehnen
New

United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 2-11 07:20
You're Welcome comrade.

Thanks LV_Forestry!

I used your suggestion to go ahead and make that script for anyone to use:
https://github.com/CharlesLehnen/QGIS_KML_to_DJI_Pilot_2
2023-6-21
Use props
fans33416675
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85830 ft
  • >>>
Australia

This method still works but with a 3D SHP file(didn't add any Z values) SHP file import into Google Earth then save to KML only

3D_SHP.jpg
2023-8-16
Use props
COA_M600_PIC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237162 ft
United States

I use Google Earth Pro do create my .kml files for flight. I find it much easier to navigate over QGIS and ArcMap.
2023-8-23
Use props
Taddpole808
lvl.1
Flight distance : 264711 ft
United States

Lehnen Posted at 6-21 16:41
Thanks LV_Forestry!

I used your suggestion to go ahead and make that script for anyone to use:

This is amazing. Thank you! works for arcmap pro as well
2023-8-25
Use props
PauloENeto
New

Brazil

Same problem here.. no update on that issue of DJI? Appearently no easy solution to make KML created on QGIS to work on Pilot2
2023-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules