FLY AWAY AVATA
2179 21 2023-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marcelo Guedes
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4629820 ft
Brazil

I was flying with it on  an avenue here in my city, using Motion Controller suddenly it starts flying sideways, something that is impossible to do with Motion and it stopped when I pressed pause, after I went to get it it was at a high height, I tried go down with him to pick it up and he again lost control hitting the plants, this is the second time this has happened to a different AVATA, one of them I lost in a river with the same error.

I have his LOG in .DAT

https://youtu.be/YQCpG1ILMRU
2023-1-23
Use props
HDPS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

Got lucky! Guess is time to learn not to fly over people, imagine if hit someone or incoming traffic vehicles   right after it passed the two poles, I wonder if they are made of metal and gave you some sort of magnetic interference.
2023-1-23
Use props
MAF178
lvl.4
  • >>>
Kuwait

HDPS Posted at 1-23 18:06
Got lucky! Guess is time to learn not to fly over people, imagine if hit someone or incoming traffic vehicles   right after it passed the two poles, I wonder if they are made of metal and gave you some sort of magnetic interference.

show some respect to the gentleman .. he is free to do whatever he want with his drone
2023-1-23
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

This was indeed an unsafe flight, could have hit cars and bikers. But this behavior was very weird. Could be compass/GPS related and interference from wires and metal... This is why I sometimes hate all the safety features, because it sometimes just messes things up more then it should.
2023-1-23
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Marcelo Guedes
Sorry to hear about this incident. May we know if you reported this to our support and create a case?
Data analysis services will be provided if your aircraft is still in the warranty period.
MAF178&HDPS
I deleted non-relevant posts here. Please do not quarrel under other members' threads.
2023-1-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 1-24 02:30
Sorry to hear about this incident. May we know if you reported this to our support and create a case?
Data analysis services will be provided if your aircraft is still in the warranty period.

Nice intervention Wanda.    Sometimes things can get out of control quickly.  
2023-1-24
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

You lost GPS. You are in a crowded city with signals bouncing all over the place... you risked injuring people and damaging cars with your antics.  Please stop flying drones in the city... you are going to get yourself in trouble, injure someone or possibly lose your drone.  Just simply put... quit being stupid.
2023-1-24
Use props
HDPS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 1-24 02:30

Appreciated Wanda!
2023-1-24
Use props
2wheeledphotog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3432372 ft
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 1-24 10:49
You lost GPS. You are in a crowded city with signals bouncing all over the place... you risked injuring people and damaging cars with your antics.  Please stop flying drones in the city... you are going to get yourself in trouble, injure someone or possibly lose your drone.  Just simply put... quit being stupid.

A) There's no reason to think this is a GPS loss. This isn't a particularly built up area and even then people fly Avatas in cities all the time and it's fine. B) Even if GPS was lost, the Avata will drift a bit without it, but it doesn't just zoom off on its own and it would be a serious design failure if it did.

I think it's fair to criticize the pilot for where they were flying, and point out that this scenario is exactly the reason you shouldn't be flying two feet over people's heads and traffic. However, I don't think it's helpful to conflate the pilot's judgment in this regard with the drone's behavior here. The drone seems to have a serious control failure that, AFAICT, is unrelated to the pilot's actions, which is very problematic.

2023-1-24
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-24 10:24
Nice intervention Wanda.    Sometimes things can get out of control quickly.

Thanks for the help, too.
2023-1-25
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

MAF178 Posted at 1-24 20:47
Hushhhh.. german shephered breed from a sloughi

If you still have any questions about the handling of the threads, please let me know.
2023-1-25
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

HDPS Posted at 1-24 11:19
Appreciated Wanda!

You are welcome.
2023-1-25
Use props
MAF178
lvl.4
  • >>>
Kuwait

DJI Wanda Posted at 1-25 00:04
If you still have any questions about the handling of the threads, please let me know.

First class Wanda

2023-1-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 1-25 00:01
Thanks for the help, too.

My pleasure.  Have a wonderful day.  
2023-1-25
Use props
Abracadasam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59613 ft

Belgium

J’ai eu la même chose hier ,il est parti mourrir 250m plus loin complètement incontrôlable (heureusement pas sur la chaussée) avec 28gps et une batterie a48%qui est passée à 0%en une fraction de seconde et le fix gps en rouge ,avec une liste d’erreurs en tout genre en moins de temps qu’il ne faut pour le dire )
Franchement le buzzer autonome m’a sauvé le drone vu que la batterie et le buzzer de l’avata ne fonctionnait plus … Je ne suis vraiment plus sécurisé avec l’avata et ne suis pas passé loin d’une catastrophe,suis déçu vraiment,heureusement j’ai le care refresh mais bon ça va quand même me coûter une cinquantaine d’euros pour le changer,et même pas moyen de le connecter sur l’assistant 2 pour ré calibrer le capteur optique qui se met en alerte puis s’enlève et revient au fil de ses envies
2023-1-26
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

You say that it’s impossible to fly sideways with the motion controller but that’s not true. The Avata can use head tracking to fly sideways This should only happen if you are pressing the trigger though. GPS Ellis’s is not likely as the hold button would not work right in that case. Did you have head tracking on? If you did, did you turn you body while flying? It could also be an error in the head tracking system if you were using it.
2023-1-26
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

2wheeledphotog Posted at 1-24 11:45
A) There's no reason to think this is a GPS loss. This isn't a particularly built up area and even then people fly Avatas in cities all the time and it's fine. B) Even if GPS was lost, the Avata will drift a bit without it, but it doesn't just zoom off on its own and it would be a serious design failure if it did.

I think it's fair to criticize the pilot for where they were flying, and point out that this scenario is exactly the reason you shouldn't be flying two feet over people's heads and traffic. However, I don't think it's helpful to conflate the pilot's judgment in this regard with the drone's behavior here. The drone seems to have a serious control failure that, AFAICT, is unrelated to the pilot's actions, which is very problematic.

These drones work off of 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi signals. The city is loaded with those signals. RC Interference most likely logged. GPS can cut out during cloudy days... buildings can also block GPS. I have been flying drones for a bit over 8 years now; licensed and I have a good understanding of how these work. I am in agreement about the GPS drift though after re-watching the video... unlikely it was GPS and more likely it was wi-fi interference.
2023-1-26
Use props
djiuser_9rALmIynyQii
New

United Kingdom

My son has recently upgraded to an avata from a betafpv drone.
He Saved up his birthday and Christmas money and bought a fairly new second hand one due to budget. First few flights he was loving it and he created some good videos.
Then on a flight the drone flu straight off into the bank of a river, I would class this drone as unsafe and he no longer wants to fly it anymore. His betafpv is much safer without gps which doesn’t make sense. Dji need to rectify this fault or give some work arounds quickly, someone is going to get hurt.
3-10 15:27
Use props
djiuser_9rALmIynyQii
New

United Kingdom

He Saved up his birthday and Christmas money and bought a fairly new second hand one due to budget. First few flights he was loving it and he created some good videos.
Then on a flight the drone flu straight off into the bank of a river, I would class this drone as unsafe and he no longer wants to fly it anymore. His betafpv is much safer without gps which doesn’t make sense. Dji need to rectify this fault or give some work arounds quickly, someone is going to get hurt.
3-10 15:28
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_9rALmIynyQii Posted at 3-10 15:28

I think he will fine but wait for Avata 2 and it should be better.
3-10 20:06
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

He Saved up his birthday and Christmas money and bought a fairly new second hand one due to budget. First few flights he was loving it and he created some good videos.
Then on a flight the drone flu straight off into the bank of a river, I would class this drone as unsafe and he no longer wants to fly it anymore. His betafpv is much safer without gps which doesn’t make sense. Dji need to rectify this fault or give some work arounds quickly, someone is going to get hurt.

Hi there. Sorry about what happened to your son's drone. We assure you that it's not the experience we want you to have. If the aircraft cannot be found, you can report a flyaway case via FlyAway Service. After successful registration, a DJI customer service agent will contact you and communicate with the service solution. If your aircraft has been found but is malfunctioning and requires repair, you can submit a repair application via Online Repair Request.. We appreciate your patience. Have a nice day.
3-10 20:38
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

He Saved up his birthday and Christmas money and bought a fairly new second hand one due to budget. First few flights he was loving it and he created some good videos.
Then on a flight the drone flu straight off into the bank of a river, I would class this drone as unsafe and he no longer wants to fly it anymore. His betafpv is much safer without gps which doesn’t make sense. Dji need to rectify this fault or give some work arounds quickly, someone is going to get hurt.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the incident that happened to your DJI Avata. I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.
3-10 21:26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules