Avata issues. Involuntary Mode changes, Throttle takeovers
828 2 2023-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_g9S9QNbuMC3M
lvl.2
United States

Frustration Level at 'full throttle'.

I live in Los Angeles, which means it's hard in general to find places to fly. But! I have access to my work, where we have a warehouse I can fly in. I really like flying in Manual mode, makes me feel like I'm flying 'hands-on'.

The Avata actually handles pretty nicely in Manual mode. The simulator was a huge help in getting proficient with it, and now I can fly in Manual through corridors and tight spaces with nice accuracy.

HOWEVER.

My office is in a 'restricted zone'. I'm flying indoors, so no restrictions should be in place, but the drone wouldn't let me take off until I got a GEO unlock. So I did that, so far so good. Fired up the drone, started flying it in my office. All good. Felt confident, put the drone in manual. Worked great. For 2 minutes. Then started to get the error 'UAV Too High / Far'. It would snap me, mid-flight, into Normal mode.

After this happening over and over again, I contacted DJI support. After several back and forths, it seems Manual mode is 'not supported' in 'Restricted Zones'.

In my office, it still works in Manual until it sees GPS, then boom, out of Manual immediately.

There's also an RC park in Van Nuys, not far from me. I thought, ok great I'll go practice Manual there. They actually have FPV obstacles you can fly through and it's a park dedicated to RC aircraft. It MUST work there, right? WRONNGGGGG

No Manual mode AT ALL there. In a dedicated RC park. All these other drones, RC places, RC Helicopters, all flying with no restriction. But not the Avata. Training wheels mode only. Any attempt to go to Manual mode and its 'UAV Too High / Far'. Custom unlock in place and everything. WHAT . THE . F.

Can someone explain to me how, if an aircraft is unlocked to fly in a particular place, it's not unlocked to fly in all the modes it's capable of flying in? Particularly when EVERY other aircraft is flying in unrestricted modes?

I feel like I'm being punished for choosing DJI.

To their credit, their support is really responsive. They said this was valuable feedback, and to watch the website for the next update. I sincerely hope this is fixed, because right now I feel like I have 'sort-of' have an FPV drone. It's expensive, it's slick, it's nice. But it doesn't work the way it should.

Additionally, EVEN IN FULL MANUAL, the throttle ramps up defying my controls when close to the ground. That's not full manual. Stop trying to control the drone when it's in manual, that's the whole point of flying it in that manner. Or just tell us that this is not an FPV drone for acro pilots, and we'll look elsewhere.

Listen, there's a lot of great things about this drone, but that's not the subject of this post. This really needs to be fixed, please!
2023-1-23
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

In a geo restricted  (or enhanced unlock) zone manual mode is not allowed....
only M or S mode, and max 30 meters high and 50 meters from the homepoint.....

DJI should let you set some setting to INDOOR FLYING, so the gps won't limit your flight, because there are NO restrictions while flying indoors!

The avata had been advertised as a drone that can be enjoyed indoors.... but not like this
2023-1-23
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know did you record any video about the  'UAV Too High / Far' error?
2023-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules