Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
best tablets?
3042 38 2015-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
barbara.sacre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi All,

I have a new inspire which I have flown only a few times. I am curretnly using a phone as my screen (samsung s6), but find there is quite a lag in the footage I get back. Sometimes the screen is also very non-responsive to any commands.  I've been thinking about buying ipads as I believed the system was more or less optimised for apple. Only problem is, I'm not keen on apple products. I find them too expensive for what they are. Plus I run the risk of spending all that money and still having a lag in my feed.

So I would very much appreciate it if anyone has any experience with tablets, android and/or apple and what they love best + any problems they had. And if anyone didn't have any problems at all -- what are you using?

Thanks !

2015-8-18
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Do a search Barbara, it's been covered many many time before.
2015-8-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

I would recommend the iPad 2 mini with cellular.
2015-8-18
Use props
barbara.sacre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks Dave. I had looked at that one as everyone seems to point towards iPad. I had hoped there would be something out there which would give equal results but from an android tablet perspective.
2015-8-18
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

barbara.sacre Posted at 2015-8-19 01:57
Thanks Dave. I had looked at that one as everyone seems to point towards iPad. I had hoped there wou ...

I have an nvidea shield (android) and it has been great until the last firmware update. Since then the app sometimes closes by itself and to date I have not yet figured out why. Other than that it has very little lag and works very well.
2015-8-18
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dave E Posted at 2015-8-19 02:02
I have an nvidea shield (android) and it has been great until the last firmware update. Since then ...

I should have added however, that the nvidea shield is not on the Dji supported list.
2015-8-18
Use props
Peter Silver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I use an iPad Air 2 and it works a treat, no lag.

Mind you I don't use it for anything else.
2015-8-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

barbara.sacre Posted at 2015-8-19 01:57
Thanks Dave. I had looked at that one as everyone seems to point towards iPad. I had hoped there wou ...

Yeah from what I have read on this forum and several other forms the iPad 2 or 3 mini seems to be the best.(as is least amount of trouble reported)  
Even better than the iPad air.
2015-8-18
Use props
barbara.sacre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-8-18 22:22
Do a search Barbara, it's been covered many many time before.

My question was after a search :-). But thanks for reminding me. Experience tells me a question can never get asked too many times, as there will always be new people with new experiences who haven't chipped in before!

Take the Nvidia shield for example. Many people seemed to think it is an excellent choice, but somewhere on the forum it was stated they had a recall of certain tablets due to a risk of overheating. In the world of tablets, information is very quickly out of date.
2015-8-18
Use props
dshanesmith
lvl.2
Flight distance : 920577 ft
United States

I would suggest the iPad Mini 2 with Cellular as well. Has support from Apple (OS updates) unlike Android, which is a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get.
2015-8-18
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

I have the iPad Mini2 Retina and in hot weather it bogs down and is useless.  I have to go into the car on-site and cool it with the air conditioner every few minutes.
2015-8-18
Use props
barbara.sacre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

dshanesmith Posted at 2015-8-19 02:47
I would suggest the iPad Mini 2 with Cellular as well. Has support from Apple (OS updates) unlike An ...

having looked at the prices of the devices, The ipadmini seems indeed the best option

a lot of the higher end android devices are around the same price and as you say - I never know what I'll get.

I liked the nvidia shield as it's a gaming tablet, but that's even more expensive than the ipad.

mh... lots to think about.
2015-8-18
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

dshanesmith Posted at 2015-8-19 02:47
I would suggest the iPad Mini 2 with Cellular as well. Has support from Apple (OS updates) unlike An ...

I disagree.
I use a Samsung 8.4 that costs a fraction of the fashionable iPad and it never gave me any trouble.
2015-8-18
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Macao

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-18 23:31

iPad 2 mini better than iPad 3 mini?
2015-8-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Linolens Posted at 2015-8-19 09:51
iPad 2 mini better than iPad 3 mini?

No, you can just get it cheeper and it does just as good of a job. The iPad 3 mini is good also.
2015-8-18
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Macao

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-19 11:38
No, you can just get it cheeper and it does just as good of a job. The iPad 3 mini is good also.

right on.
makes sense.
thanks Dave
2015-8-18
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

barbara.sacre Posted at 2015-8-19 02:24
My question was after a search :-). But thanks for reminding me. Experience tells me a question can ...

barbara thank you for this information, I was not aware of any issues with the tablet. It turns out that my shield tablet is one of the ones affected and is being recalled.
2015-8-19
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

I use a Nexus 7 and it works fine. I'm looking hard at the Nvidia because it has a separate joystick that can be used to control camera as if using finger on screen. Solves the occasional two operator scenario which has terrible video lag now.
2015-8-19
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

I am looking for a more bright screen as 1.000 nits. Not one of the "common" tablets are sunlight readable they perform at max 350 nits.
Maybe someone has experience with the Cube T7 that has a 1.000 nits JDI screen. If that works with the DJI app and runs the video I would be happy.   
2015-8-19
Use props
sasoto1
lvl.1

United States

I use the Ipad mini 3 with cellular and it works great.
2015-8-19
Use props
barbara.sacre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Dave E Posted at 2015-8-19 16:56
barbara thank you for this information, I was not aware of any issues with the tablet. It turns ou ...

Glad to have been of assistance :-). Hope the recall doesn't end up being too much of a hassle for you!
2015-8-19
Use props
barbara.sacre
lvl.1

United Kingdom

enkhome Posted at 2015-8-19 22:34
I am looking for a more bright screen as 1.000 nits. Not one of the "common" tablets are sunlight re ...

I had never heard of the CubeT7. Just looked it up. It looks mighty impressive. I agree, if that works, wow...

currently looking at prices :-)   
2015-8-19
Use props
Barbara
lvl.1

United Kingdom

enkhome Posted at 2015-8-19 22:34
I am looking for a more bright screen as 1.000 nits. Not one of the "common" tablets are sunlight re ...

I bought one on a whim, Just because they looked pretty impressive all round and I'll find a use for it regardless of whether it works with dji or not.

I'll let you know how I get on.
2015-8-19
Use props
tim foster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1762359 ft
United States

ipad mini 2 hardware decoder on!! the best...
2015-8-19
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tim foster Posted at 2015-8-20 15:15
ipad mini 2 hardware decoder on!! the best...

what is the hardware decoder Tim?
2015-8-20
Use props
Citation
lvl.3
Flight distance : 134908 ft
United States

Dave E Posted at 2015-8-20 16:18

Sony Xperia 10" waterproof and dustproof....perfect.
2015-8-20
Use props
midnightrider
lvl.2

United States

Dave E Posted at 2015-8-19 02:05
I should have added however, that the nvidea shield is not on the Dji supported list.

Many have also been recalled because of battery issues.
2015-8-20
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Dave E Posted at 2015-8-20 16:18

It is a setting in the app. If you have lag or dropped video it can help to have this setting turned on.
2015-8-20
Use props
tim foster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1762359 ft
United States

what he said :-)^^^
2015-8-20
Use props
justin.mah
lvl.1

Canada

ipad mini 2 and mini 3 have pretty much the same hardware, key difference being the fingerprint identification on the mini3.

Linolens, I'm using the Galaxy Tab S (8.4"), and I get lag issues when flying the drone for about 8-10 minutes. And not just video, the whole tablet seem to lag along with the video.
I have to restart the drone to fix the issue. You have any suggestions on how to get it lag-free or no-issues ?
2015-8-21
Use props
Barbara
lvl.1

United Kingdom

justin.mah Posted at 2015-8-22 02:21
ipad mini 2 and mini 3 have pretty much the same hardware, key difference being the fingerprint iden ...

Apparently the generally suggested fix for trouble with video drop out  is to use manual channel selection and drop your data rate to 4Mbps.

I haven't tried this yet as that option doesn't exist in the UK.  Although there may be a way around it.
2015-8-23
Use props
InspireHelp
lvl.2

United States

The iPad Mini 2 has been working well for me. I went with the cellular model (but did not activate it) since it comes with GPS.

Here's a list of other tablets/phones that work well:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/which-device-s-do-you-use-to-run-the-dji-pilot-app.48525

www.Inspire1Help.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Inspire.
Inspires in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-8-23
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

Barbara Posted at 2015-8-20 15:11
I bought one on a whim, Just because they looked pretty impressive all round and I'll find a use f ...

Thanks for your reply, please let me know about your findings. If it works I will order one, and than it should also be interesting for other users for sure.
2015-8-24
Use props
djalmarm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13272894 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I'm using the Ipad Mini 2 and is good, but on hot days (36° C) after about 15 minutes, the video starts to lag.
2015-8-24
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

Just wondering, how come everyone always says the IPad mini is better than the larger iPad Air? What makes it better?
2015-8-28
Use props
InspireHelp
lvl.2

United States

The iPad Mini does not run any better than the iPad Air. Many people just the like the more compact size and lighter weight. The iPad Air 2 has a faster processor than the iPad Mini 2/3, so it should offer the best performance.

FYI, I personally have an iPad Mini 2 and do not have any issues with performance.

www.InspireHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Inspire.
Inspires in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-8-28
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

Canada

I have been using the ipad mini 2 w/o cellular and it has worked fairly well. My only complaint is on sunny days it is very difficult to see the screen even with a sun shade.

I have an ipad air 2 w/cellular that I am going to test out. I need to get a sun shade for it first. One of the advantages is that is has an anti-reflective screen which the mini does not.
On the other hand it supposedly is not as bright as previous versions of the ipad due to backlit screen not being as effective since the thinner ipad air loses something in the process of making it thinner. It may be a wash.

I have tried anti reflective film on the mini and although it did a great job with reflection I felt there was image loss due to the film.

It is a losing battle until someone comes up with a screen that can overcome the sunlight.

2015-8-28
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

I'm still a month away from getting the Head Play that I ordered in July.
2015-9-2
Use props
Woodzy
New

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-8-18 07:31

New to my DJI Inspire 1 and I also will be working with tablets to make them work this weekend.  
Why the need for cellular?  
2018-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules