Help me fly the Mavic Pro Indoor
431 2 2023-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
blunt___
lvl.1
United States

Hi all,
I need your input. I have 6-story building with an opening in the middle large enough for the drone to travel safely. There is also a staircase nearby which allows me to observe the drone when climbing down the stairs. The owner wants to fly from top to bottom, pause on each floor and do a 360 video.

I have been researching this extensively and found out that when there is no GPS signal the drone is limited to 15 feet height because of the Downward Vision System, which based on the research that I've done so far, cannot be disabled, or can it be disabled on the Mavic Pro?

Is there a solution to this for the Mavic Pro?

Here is a scenario I have in mind, tell me if it would work:

• Fly the drone into the opening from the 6th floor to the 5th floor
  • Fly the drone away from the 5th floor opening and onto the 5th floor slab
  • Record the 360 video
  • Repeat 1-3 for the other levels

When moving the drone form opening to floor slab, would the drone then register the new floor slab as the new elevation?

Please provide your input,
Thank you.
2023-1-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My concern would be,  once the drone is above the range of the VPS i.e. more than 15ft above the floor of the "opening in the middle", and has insufficient GPS to establish the drone's position, the drone will switch to ATTI mode with NO position holding capability nor any automatic braking.
That would mean ALL horizontal control is your responsibility and YOUR'S ALONE, the drone will NOT assist you.

Also investigate threads concerning descending into a canyon and being unable to climb out again.

2023-1-24
Use props
blunt___
lvl.1
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-24 11:49
My concern would be,  once the drone is above the range of the VPS i.e. more than 15ft above the floor of the "opening in the middle", and has insufficient GPS to establish the drone's position, the drone will switch to ATTI mode with NO position holding capability nor any automatic braking.
That would mean ALL horizontal control is your responsibility and YOUR'S ALONE, the drone will NOT assist you.

I have good clearance inside the opening, also, the drone will only go up/down the opening then pausing to take the 360 video. I have a staircase access which enables me to get the drone in case it gets stuck in a hover position.

DJI should give us an option to set a height limit once in ATTI mode instead of locking the height limit to 15 feet. My Mavic PRO Platinum is now useless indoor and I have to shop for a drone that would let me do whatever I want indoor. After all, I'm the pilot with the FAA license, I have insurance, and the owner completely understands the risks and he is okay with it.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
2023-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules