Air 2S - Lost at Sea. What now?
825 12 2023-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HaNaz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1849124 ft
Portugal

I'm still in shock honestly, trying to understand what happened.
Was using my DJI Air 2S today, flying above the ocean when battery went from around 50% to 0%. Turned the drone back to shore but it didn't make it. Landed on water and is lost forever.

Nothing similar ever happened with this drone. Totally ruined my day. Was gonna use it tomorrow on a job.

Still haven't contacted DJI and not sure the best way to do it. Is there an e-mail address to contact? What can i expect from this?

Here's the moment it happened:

2023-1-24
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you have no drone to return to DJI, not sure what contacting them would achieve.   Sounds like you lost a drone unfortunately over water.
2023-1-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your recorded flight data will help find the cause of the incident.

To get to your flight data, go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

You'll find instructions to upload the data to that site and it will give a report.

For help interpreting the data you can post a link for the report here or just post the .txt file.
2023-1-24
Use props
HaNaz
lvl.1
Portugal

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-24 10:35
Your recorded flight data will help find the cause of the incident.

To get to your flight data, go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Thanks for the help. Here is the log:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5FGYEL3WD3P0DANNY0CF

If anyone can help determine what went wrong i would appreciate it.
2023-1-24
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

I will not pretend to be an expert at reading logs, but I have seen similar battery voltage levels before.
You started with a battery with 59% charge. Was this a battery that had been stored for a while before you used it now?

A battery that has been in storage at 60% will show around 60% when you start the drone, but the cell voltage can be much lower than the 60% indicates.
Your battery shows more than 50% until it suddenly drops to 0. But the cell voltages show that the battery had very little charge when you took off.

I could of course be totally wrong, it could also simply be a faulty battery.
But like I said I have seen this before. Always charge a battery if it has been in storage mode for a while.
2023-1-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

HaNaz Posted at 1-24 11:34
Thanks for the help. Here is the log:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5FGYEL3WD3P0DANNY0CF

Arctic photo is correct.
The % indicator is not reliable with a battery that has been sitting for a week or more discharging.
The cell voltages are what's important, not the % indicated.

In your case, your battery was showing critical low cell voltage 3.5 seconds into the flight under the load of takeoff and things only became worse from there.
2023-1-24
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

Hi

Problem with your battery unfortunately. Watch the video you uploaded.

At 0.07 your remaining flight time indicator { beside signal and sats indicator) turns red.
0.08 indicator goes blank and Force Land warning appears along with Battery Power Limit .......

Sorry for your loss
2023-1-24
Use props
HaNaz
lvl.1
Portugal

I charged all my 3 batteries a few days ago. I fly regularly and charge all batteries at the same time to have them ready for the next day. The one i used prior to this gave zero issues and had 90%+ charge.

When i plugged this one i didn't even look at the battery level cause i was convinced it was almost fully charged.

But even if i had noticed the 59% i would still do a quick flight. Never imagined that i couldn't trust the % indicator, what sense does it make to call them intelligent batteries if they go from 57% to 0% instantly?

I'm feeling super sad and annoyed on this really. Don't feel like i made a mistake and it feels totally unfair.

Guess one must really not rely on the % indicator and i learned that the hard way.
2023-1-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am curious, at 78seconds you stopped giving forward stick and let the drone 'hover' for three to four seconds during which it lost virtually all its horizontal speed, why?

From the satellite image the drone was nearly safe, it was flying at around 4.5m/s, those few seconds at 4m/s+ might have got it above the wave line.

Was this a second flight on that battery? I am wondering why the flight starts at 59% and a temperature of 54F.

2023-1-24
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. May we know did you submit a flyaway case and upload all the data? If not, you may click this link: https://repair.dji.com/us/repair/flyaway
2023-1-25
Use props
HaNaz
lvl.1
Portugal

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-24 12:39
I am curious, at 78seconds you stopped giving forward stick and let the drone 'hover' for three to four seconds during which it lost virtually all its horizontal speed, why?

From the satellite image the drone was nearly safe, it was flying at around 4.5m/s, those few seconds at 4m/s+ might have got it above the wave line.

When the battery went to zero there was a message flashing on the screen it said something like "tap to abort landing". It was flashing very rapidly, like a malfunction. I tried pressing it once and it didn't work.
When i realized i wasn't gonna make it time to reach shore i tried pressing the message again, that's when i stopped moving forward to reach the screen. Couldn't abort landing, again, tapping the message was no use even though i tried it for those 3/4 seconds.
The drone wouldn't make it to shore at that speed and the height decreasing rapidly. It was still very far from the sand. Even though on the map might seem closer, the shore line constantly changes and in winter with the big waves the beach size decreases a lot, sometimes 50+ meters.

It was the first flight on this battery.

Thanks for your message
2023-1-26
Use props
HaNaz
lvl.1
Portugal

DJI Wanda Posted at 1-25 00:42
Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. May we know did you submit a flyaway case and upload all the data? If not, you may click this link: https://repair.dji.com/us/repair/flyaway

Thank you! I was struggling to find the proper place to report this.

Just submitted my case.
2023-1-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

HaNaz Posted at 1-26 03:25
Thank you! I was struggling to find the proper place to report this.

Just submitted my case.

You are welcome. Please let me know if you have any questions.
2023-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules