Does Mini 2 require an internet connection to fly?
7668 8 2023-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ddrdan
lvl.1
United States

Been doing a lot of research to choose a DJI mini model. I'm a salt  water flats fisherman and push pole into the areas that I fish. I use a  drone for survelance flights over the flats to review channel access and  water depths. And to find my way out sometimes. (lol) Time for an upgrade. Poseiden reached up a pulled my current drone to the bottom.  

I  like the small profile, camera, and controller size of the Mini 2. It's  camera resolutions and flight features are more than adequate for my  needs so I'm concentrating on that model. I have a few questions:

1.  Does the Mini 2 require an internet connection to fly? I'm out on the  water in remote areas that have no internet or cell connection  sometimes.

2. I have poor eysight and 90% of the time I'm flying in full sunlight. Combine that with the low NITS of cell phones and it's impossible to see. I currently use a touch screen 2000 NITS camera field monitor mounted to my boat console. It's cable connected to bluetooth receiver. I bluetooth the controller phone to the monitor receiver with an app. There's a 5ns delay but I've never had any problem with the bluetooth connections and the touch screen works flawlessly. If lost, I can drop back to the controller phone for touch screen.   

I. Am I going to have any Bluetooth signal mix problems with the DJI app in that configuration?
II. Is the DJI app using my cell phone as the communication device with the drone or is that connection in the controller?

If the DJI RC had a better NITS rating and worked with the Mini 2 I'd buy it.

Thanks for any help.
2023-1-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mini 2 doesn't need an internet connection to fly only to activate or unlock geozones.
2023-1-26
Use props
drones_bulgaria
lvl.3
United States

1. No internet is needed for connection. Advice: don't upgrade dji fly version, use the older one Because then firmware problems will come.
2. Use a tablet. I. The bluetooth will lower for shure the signal of the connection between the controller and the drone even in the open sea.
II. No, the controllers send and receive signals and fpv feed.

2023-1-26
Use props
ddrdan
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-26 01:59
Mini 2 doesn't need an internet connection to fly only to activate or unlock geozones.

Thank You!
2023-1-26
Use props
ddrdan
lvl.1
United States

drones_bulgaria Posted at 1-26 07:38
1. No internet is needed for connection. Advice: don't upgrade dji fly version, use the older one  Because then firmware problems will come.
2. Use a tablet. I. The bluetooth will lower for shure the signal of the connection between the controller and the drone even in the open sea.
II. No, the controllers send and receive signals and fpv feed.

Thanks for the info!

Haven't found an android tablet with 2000 NITS? Well, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

If the controller is send/receive through wifi I'm going to give the bluetooth connection to the monitor a no flight try next week. I'll still have the phone connected directly to the DJI controller. If it does develop problems I'll turn the monitor and bluetooth receiver off.

I'm also looking at an OTG USB adapter to use the phone connection for 2 external devices. Waiting for in/out spec's from manufacturer. That way both devices are direct connect.
2023-1-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're very welcome.
2023-1-27
Use props
drones_bulgaria
lvl.3
United States

ddrdan Posted at 1-26 12:17
Thanks for the info!

Haven't found an android tablet with 2000 NITS? Well, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Wel for 2 000 NITS we are waiting for this - https://www.sammobile.com/news/s ... 2000-oled-ces-2023/

But for now similar available - https://www.amazon.com/TRIPLTEK- ... htest/dp/B09GTXKVCH
https://www.amazon.com/TRIPLTEK- ... htest/dp/B08R871DBM

I have no acknowledgment for OTG for two devices' connection at once. Except when use live streaming.
2023-1-27
Use props
ddrdan
lvl.1
United States

drones_bulgaria Posted at 1-27 11:56
Wel for 2 000 NITS we are waiting for this - https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-dispay-oled-udr-2000-oled-ces-2023/

But for now similar available - https://www.amazon.com/TRIPLTEK-12200mAh-Construction-Waterproof-Brightest/dp/B09GTXKVCH

Since my last post I've found more info. Trying to patch a low grade video output device to a high grade input device is futal. So sticking to a phone on the control is the best method of choice.

The question to  answer is, "Does my remote and app support HDR Live View Quality?" For  my application, MINI 2 Spec: 720p/30fps. The answer is No. Stick  to max 600 to 800 nits on compressed coding UHD features. The dynamic contrast  ratio is more than likely a controller software co/op with your phones video device.  Pushing the Nits level will only add a white wash to the video color  quality being provided.

I'm looking at a refurbished Galaxy S8 to use. ($140) It uses a  video enhancer that provides HDR-like Expanded Dynamic Range for video that doesn’t have HDR coding. It will provide 1000 nits  peak. So I'll be setting that feature to 600 to 700nits. Con: It isn't 5G.

For reference:  Nits ratings are not exponential. From 1000 to 2000 is only a 1.4x  increase in brightness. You'd be lucky to  visually find a difference of 250 nits between any 2 screens.

Tripltek  is the "arm & leg" price range I was speaking of. The tech spec's  are so-so and overpriced. Their claim to fame is meeting the needs of  UAV remote compatibility (USB C input). If more competition would follow suit the  prices would come down to the range of touch screen DSLR monitors ($250 to $500). If  DSLR monitor manufacturers would add android and USB C to their low end products  they'd dominate the UAV market.

I did find a bluetooth receiver that beats a wired connection latency by 8%. ($59) Pair that with a DSLR touch screen that receives video casting (1200 nits $259) and you'd have a decent rig for any 1080P controller for $308. DJI's is $309 so it's a toss up in features you want. Not sure what the nits rating is on the DJI?

2023-1-30
Use props
Robert McGregor
New

Canada

Hi ,, I'm new to drones. My old Samsung j3 phone not compatible for DJI app apparently. I have to Upgrade my phone. Would anyone know if a TCL 40XE phone would be compatible? Thanks!
2023-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules