1692 8 2023-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jaboar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68179 ft
Spain

Hello everyone
We are capturing data with M300 + L1 and preprocessing with the free version of Terra. (For forestry studies)
On the web  DJI says that if you change to the pro version you win in:
“Lidar Point Cloud Accuracy Optimization and Lidar Point Cloud Smoothing”
Anyone knows if the improvement is better enough to think in change to Pro version?

Does Anyone have any idea how much it improves?

Thank you !!

2023-1-26
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Hi,

For forestry it is not useful. We don't need huge precision. Anyway, the L1 itself is not very precise.

Better to invest the budget in serious post-processing software. TerraSolid + GlobalMapper or even Agisoft Metashape which will allow you to correct the altitude according to a geoid and to classify the terrain points.

Terra is not made for this. I have the Pro version, I never use the associated features.
2023-1-26
Use props
Jaboar
lvl.2
Spain

Thank you FV_Forestry
We imagined it
But we wanted to know if anyone had the experience of processing L1 data with Terra Pro and see if the resulting  point clouds really improved. (Compare with Terra free procesing)

You confirm that.
Thank you very much!
2023-1-26
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Jaboar Posted at 1-26 03:31
Thank you FV_Forestry
We imagined it
But we wanted to know if anyone had the experience of processing L1 data with Terra Pro and see if the resulting  point clouds really improved. (Compare with Terra free procesing)

I can send you an example of a conifer plot with and without optimization if you want to get a clear idea.  The difference is not obvious.  
For urban work its a bit better.  The noise on the roofs and the road is reduced.  Even if since the last update there is the smooth pointcloud option.  It is a function included in the free version and it gives a good result for the ground.  It's perfect because that's what interests us.

For wich purposes are you using LiDAR, inventory ?
2023-1-26
Use props
Jaboar
lvl.2
Spain

Hi  again LV_Forestry
Yes we do inventory.
Its a great idea to sow it to my colleagues an decide.  Allthougt I think the idea is clear... The free version is  enough for us
I send you my e-mail privately
2023-1-26
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Jaboar Posted at 1-26 08:29
Hi  again LV_Forestry
Yes we do inventory.
Its a great idea to sow it to my colleagues an decide.  Allthougt I think the idea is clear... The free version is  enough for us

I sent you the links to the files in PM.

You will notice first that the files all have a similar number of Gb. +/- 3kb
When you compare the point cloud of the free and the paid features, you have to keep your eyes open to see the difference. There is one. But honestly for the forest inventory it's not worth paying the price DJI is asking for the pro version.

T10.JPG

2023-1-26
Use props
COMMBGT
lvl.1

United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 2023-1-26 02:19
Hi,

For forestry it is not useful. We don't need huge precision. Anyway, the L1 itself is not very precise.

>which will allow you to correct the altitude according to a geoid

This is 100% possible in Terra. I do it everyday. Then I just import the point cloud into Pix4dsurvey or Virtual Surveyor. Terra actually has some of the best support for CRS's now and full support for NAD 83 in usFT and NAVD88 with all the geoids.
4-22 04:46
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

COMMBGT Posted at 4-22 04:46

This is 100% possible in Terra. I do it everyday. Then I just import the point cloud into Pix4dsurvey or Virtual Surveyor. Terra actually has some of the best support for CRS's now and full support for NAD 83 in usFT and NAVD88 with all the geoids.

You do it every day with a geoid implemented in Terra. For the others we can select them, and it is 100% not possible to obtain a correct result.
4-22 05:43
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

COMMBGT Posted at 4-22 04:46

I just tested it with the latest version. Always the same result. Regardless of the geoid selected, the clouds overlap perfectly. While there should be about 20 meter of separation at this location.

1.JPG

2.JPG 3.JPG
4-22 05:53
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules