Deity D4 Direct in to Action 3
1420 20 2023-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Deity V-Mic D4 is an excellent little shotgun or 'directional' mic. I looked at it recently and it really sounds great and has variable gain on the back, plus it can be slid back on the mount to get it out of the way of lenses. On Ultra Wide you can set a little of the mic on top, but from wide, it disappears from view.
So if you have a cage to house the camera, this mic works in redil y well if you want to 'run and gun' with the Action 3, and cut out a lot of noise around you.

It comes with three leads and one is a USB digital lead straight from the mic to the camera. No adapter needed.  Set the mic on full gain (it has a variable gain knob) so that the Action uses less preamp gain and you get a very respectable sound from this camera.

Obviously not for bikers and divers, but for anyone wanting to use their camera for general run around footage, this works well.

I put out a video about the mic here:

I think I might do another video with it to demo the Action 3 because it's a nifty little setup with no adapters needed at all and really ups the game in the audio.
2023-1-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Superb review.  
2023-1-26
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I have a rode video micro, an AndyCine mic, they are the same in every way. if the tv is on 30 ft away low it gets picked up, I guess the same can be for this, does that happen.   I can not use anything but the wireless on the camera, unless I glue the cold shoe on and I rather not have anything   sticking pass the lens as I  have my rode on the Action set back off the   insulated mount and tie wrapped which is by far better and off cameras view

IMO
2023-1-26
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Nice review you have done, and you should have made a comparison between this and RØDE mic
2023-1-26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 1-26 03:45
I have a rode video micro, an AndyCine mic, they are the same in every way. if the tv is on 30 ft away low it gets picked up, I guess the same can be for this, does that happen.   I can not use anything but the wireless on the camera, unless I glue the cold shoe on and I rather not have anything   sticking pass the lens as I  have my rode on the Action set back off the   insulated mount and tie wrapped which is by far better and off cameras view

IMO

Problem with a TV in a room is that the sound bounces of the walls, including the wall that the mic will probably be facing, so it’s very difficult not to pick up TV. It should be reduced if the back end of those mics face the TV because they are both cardioid I think. I’ve reviewed both of them and the Andycine is a great buy in particular.

If you have a cage for the Action 3, the mic can sit on top as long as you don’t use Ultra wide. The mount slides, so you can pull the mic backwards on it so only about 3 to 4 inches of mic protrudes in front.

Way better than using internal mic and more directional than a lavalier.

As I said, it’s just for people wanting to ‘run ‘n gun’ with it. Just handy if you have a mic in your pocket and on those occasions when you want improved audio, just whip the mic on!

I’ll make another video about this I think because it goes straight into the Action. No bother. Easier than GoPro.
2023-1-26
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

30 feet away different room , and  As if outside sound travels that I get.
gopro  dongle and Mediamoudle.  is extra funds. and adds bulk
2023-1-26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks DAFlys. I make videos for a local camera shop when he wants to sell gear. He leaves them running on a loop in the shop and I get a nice little commission.

I do first testing on YouTube before making them properly for him in a more studio like environment. For YouTube, I just use a bedroom or the front room.

For this video, we had a power cut so no proper lights. I had to use little portable lights which was a bit tricky.
2023-1-26
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

ifa person is as well talking and the mic will also pick up and that person.  IMO

Just saying. that  you do not want to cancel all sounds out and hear  just dead space
2023-1-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-26 04:00
Thanks DAFlys. I make videos for a local camera shop when he wants to sell gear. He leaves them running on a loop in the shop and I get a nice little commission.

I do first testing on YouTube before making them properly for him in a more studio like environment. For YouTube, I just use a bedroom or the front room.

I ws just browsing your YouTube channel (I subbed).  you have a lot of Mic reviews.
2023-1-26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-26 04:06
I ws just browsing your YouTube channel (I subbed).  you have a lot of Mic reviews.

Thank you for subbing. I've been doing it a few years. Companies have sent me mics since some of them know me due to what I used to work at before I retired. I was a musician so was always into mics and got to know people who made them via recording engineers.  So I’ve been quite lucky in that respect.

Learned a lot about sound from engineers while recording for all kinds of things. Radio, film and TV.

Some of the videos are dead rough, but I use them to work out what I will say in another video for a local shop. He lends me gear to review and then gives me the choice of paying me or giving me the gear or a combo.

It keeps customers returning to his shop and they stay to watch the videos so he does quite well out of it really.
2023-1-26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 1-26 03:59
30 feet away different room , and  As if outside sound travels that I get.
gopro  dongle and Mediamoudle.  is extra funds. and adds bulk

Yes, it does add bulk and isolates the speaker from the surroundings.

I think really, it depends how important video sound is to you. For me, it’s very important so I always try to get the best audio I can.

Action people aren’t that bothered about sound at all though and even turn it off sometimes and add music to cover.

The other thing I often do is record speech, and record ambience separately with a separate stereo mic. Then I mix the two together in post. That way, you can control how loud the ambience is rather than just leaving what a single mic happens to pick up.

It really is down to how important sound is to you I guess.
2023-1-26
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Since we use Action cameras and  I carry just that, I do what works best for me with the camera at hand.. I simply would pop the  wireless mic on and  do my best with the gear I got.. thanks

2023-1-26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 1-26 03:53
Nice review you have done, and you should have made a comparison between this and RØDE mic

The Rode Go?

You know the recent Rode mics seem to distort very easily on loud peaks. They never used to be like that. Someone else asked me to compare it to the Senn on camera mic mke400, I think it is.

Maybe I’ll do both in one go.

I just compared the two directly and the Deity gives a louder signal into the Action which means it will possibly be a little quieter as far as noise goes. But both work.

2023-1-26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 1-26 04:22
Since we use Action cameras and  I carry just that, I do what works best for me with the camera at hand.. I simply would pop the  wireless mic on and  do my best with the gear I got.. thanks

Yes, I agree. That’s what I do.

This is only for ‘run ‘n gun’, general videoing really. I always try to get the best sound I can in the situation I’m in tbh. Sometimes just the in camera mic and other times a studio mic. Just depends.
2023-1-26
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

For me When I  am in the car. I know i must talk louder due to the environment and the Windshield, when out biking I know i must use a mic, if not where  it owit the gopro for the better  recorded Audio by ar, especially in wind.  its     for sure on the go, get the vid  and audio you go
2023-1-26
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-26 04:30
The Rode Go?

You know the recent Rode mics seem to distort very easily on loud peaks. They never used to be like that. Someone else asked me to compare it to the Senn on camera mic mke400, I think it is.

I heard about the new RØDE that is faulty or really bad, I have RØDE Video Micro that I am really pleased with.
2023-1-26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 1-26 05:02
I heard about the new RØDE that is faulty or really bad, I have RØDE Video Micro that I am really pleased with.

Oh yes, same problem. It goes into clipping a bit too easily. It’s not brilliant sounding. I think the original is better actually. I like the look of the new one but not so sure about it’s sound.
2023-1-26
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-26 05:14
Oh yes, same problem. It goes into clipping a bit too easily. It’s not brilliant sounding. I think the original is better actually. I like the look of the new one but not so sure about it’s sound.

I think they maybe f-up the new mic, because it seems to distort really easily in wind etc.
2023-1-26
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Rode  go  has a poor on/off button, and the new one to be improved, but seeing so many fakes out there  of the same style, and if its UHF best of luck getting  a  signal 2.4g is the way to go
2023-1-26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 1-26 06:10
I think they maybe f-up the new mic, because it seems to distort really easily in wind etc.

Same problem with Rode Go, and to a lesser extent, the NTG.
I've just noticed that the Action has stereo sound, so I might also try a stereo directional mic on it.
2023-1-26
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I tried out a few mics this morning. The Rode Videomic Go II seems to get a rounder sound than the Deity in this video. Stereo is nice. Rode is great with it.

No good for Action people but for general videoing/wandering around, it works nicely.

2023-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules