DJI Air2s fell into river
921 19 2023-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GermanOnBalkans
lvl.1
Bosnia and Herzegovina

so i was going for a bit more tricky manouver, going over a river amongst plenty of trees and rivers to make it to the edge of the waterfall and fly up from there. So its all my fault
Anyhow, on the last few meters i treid to get a better position for the shot, rather slowly dabbed into a tree sideways and since i was like not even a meter above the water of course it fell and could not pick up itself.
So in my head the drone is gonna go down this waterfall (it completly was underwater for like 1 second) i steered full spped up and the freaking thing came out of the water and i made it to shore.

All controls etc normal, no errors, just instant pulled out the battery and no its sitting to dry.

Assuming it was still fyling after being submerged, it was workiing until i removed the battery without any errors - is there anything more i can or should do besides cleaning it with alcohol and letting it dry?

2023-1-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alcohol may be the wrong thing to use on it?  Some of the plastic may be susceptible to damage. Check the manual first.
2023-1-26
Use props
GermanOnBalkans
lvl.1
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Blériot53 Posted at 1-26 08:22
Alcohol may be the wrong thing to use on it?  Some of the plastic may be susceptible to damage. Check the manual first.

good adive, will check, but have seen a few videos of dji drones being cleaned with alcohol in a similar scenario and seemed it didnt screw up the plastic. but non of them were air2s, only some other dji models like mavic mini etc.
2023-1-26
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GermanOnBalkans Posted at 1-26 08:29
good adive, will check, but have seen a few videos of dji drones being cleaned with alcohol in a similar scenario and seemed it didnt screw up the plastic. but non of them were air2s, only some other dji models like mavic mini etc.

It may be OK, but it's best to check first
2023-1-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Isopropyl alcohol is generally the recommended wash, breathe lightly it doesn't smell too good lol.

I have the vague recollection that it might now be a restricted product in the EU.

2023-1-26
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Never mind the drone!  You have an AMAZING story!  That is so cool to save it from certain going over the falls with a power-out!!  I hope video was running!!!  I want to see that one!
2023-1-26
Use props
RobZilla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agree, hope you have video of this flight!!
2023-1-26
Use props
GermanOnBalkans
lvl.1
Bosnia and Herzegovina

i have it!  its late now, but will upload tomorrow.
2023-1-26
Use props
RobZilla
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Can't wait to see the video!

As for drying, I would set the drone in a dry room temp area in normal take off position. Then after a few hours set it upside down to get any remaining moisture to drip or dry out. Obviously set a dry cloth under the drone while it's airing out.
2023-1-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RobZilla Posted at 1-26 15:41
Can't wait to see the video!

As for drying, I would set the drone in a dry room temp area in normal take off position. Then after a few hours set it upside down to get any remaining moisture to drip or dry out. Obviously set a dry cloth under the drone while it's airing out.

I would dry it for a few days or more rather than a few hours.
2023-1-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the incident that happened on your unit. We're glad that you managed to retrieve your unit and the good news is that the unit is working as normal. Please feel free to contact us if you experience any issues with your unit. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-1-26
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

That video -  I hope it is as epic as it sounds!!  You have an instant Youtube hit in the drone community!
2023-1-26
Use props
GermanOnBalkans
lvl.1
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Ok guys, here you go - i fear its not as spectacular as you'd hope - wish someone else had filmed the drone   
Still cought some overall cool footage from the place and gonna use it for a proper video about that beautiful location - but didn't want to let people wait and just quickly upped these 2 versions
https://youtu.be/wM_iLzdQpoU   ----  Long Version
https://youtu.be/jpZTyfqFgos ----  Short Version
Definetly quite a learning experience - i knew the branches etc would make it hard to get to a good spot but let myself get distracted. had a group of friends with me and wasnt as focussed as i should be. Dont let anyone distract you when flying - make it clear you are at no capacity of talking  or any type of interaction as soon you know you will enter any type of difficult spot.
Maybe thats just a me problem - if you have more routine than i do perhaps thats silly advice - but i will stick to it more vigorusly from now on and make sure i stay in the "zone" 100%
Will update in 2-3 days if the drone still works - it got cleaned with plenty of isopropyl, my hairdryer set on cold blew it all away and now it just sits to dry - just turning positions every ~ 12 hours.
2023-1-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

GermanOnBalkans Posted at 1-27 07:30
Ok guys, here you go - i fear its not as spectacular as you'd hope - wish someone else had filmed the drone   
Still cought some overall cool footage from the place and gonna use it for a proper video about that beautiful location - but didn't want to let people wait and just quickly upped these 2 versions

Amazing video!

2023-1-27
Use props
RobZilla
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GermanOnBalkans Posted at 1-27 07:30

Wow good recovery! Definitely spectacular in my books after taking a quick dip and going back up.

I'll have to find the video where the Air 2 owner lost his drone and it captured fish in the lake. I thought yours was a similar scenario but this was still excellent!
2023-1-27
Use props
GermanOnBalkans
lvl.1
Bosnia and Herzegovina

thank you - hope i can make something decent out of the files i filmed befor this incident
2023-1-27
Use props
GermanOnBalkans
lvl.1
Bosnia and Herzegovina

RobZilla Posted at 1-27 10:16
Wow good recovery! Definitely spectacular in my books after taking a quick dip and going back up.

I'll have to find the video where the Air 2 owner lost his drone and it captured fish in the lake. I thought yours was a similar scenario but this was still excellent!

haha thanks
still cant really belive how lucky i got there - if it didnt come back up, there would have been 0 chance to even recover the broken drone.
2023-1-27
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

THAT is epic!!!  I don't think I have ever dunked and come back out of the water! :  )

Very cool!!!

Appreciate you sharing and hope your done dries out ok of course!!!
2023-1-27
Use props
GermanOnBalkans
lvl.1
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Ah sorry for edit - youtube screwing me over
Will update soon

2023-1-28
Use props
GermanOnBalkans
lvl.1
Bosnia and Herzegovina

so here is the footage i could catch befor the crash - i think without the srewup i wouldve gotten some more great images.
But at least maybe you get an idea why i wanted to take that tricky path
https://youtu.be/SYB0IBRHRQ0  
2023-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules