Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-2 01:11
Does that count for the strawberry blondes too?

That's a good question.
2023-2-2
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-1 23:16
Well I wouldn't want to wear the Pocket 2 around my neck for sure. The gimbal would be impeded.
The Action 2 has no gimbal to get in the way, just being a square object.  I'll try next with the magnetic mount inside a T-shirt and just the camera unit clipped on rather than the double-up unit which contains the SD card. That will limit me to just 22Gb of internal storage though. I'll see how that pans out.

Yes, that was exactly my process of thought with the Pocket 2's gimbal and mounting it for hands-free use.

I hope your next test will prove to be more successful. Keeping thumbs up
2023-2-2
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-1 23:18
No you can attach it directly. That's how I've been wearing it, outside my clothing. But the when walking it moves around so much that the video is bad. Even with the Rocksteady feature activated.

Oh, in that case I can see why you would want to avoid that.
2023-2-2
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-2 04:07
Oh, in that case I can see why you would want to avoid that.

I'm very disappointed with its performance so far
2023-2-2
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-2 05:48
I'm very disappointed with its performance so far

I can see why. You don't want that to take off in the middle of your shoots.
2023-2-2
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-2 06:00
I can see why. You don't want that to take off in the middle of your shoots.

I will say, that the recorded video with the unit placed on a firm, fixed surface, is very good.  But an ACTION camera is not really designed for that.
2023-2-2
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2-1 23:16
Well I wouldn't want to wear the Pocket 2 around my neck for sure. The gimbal would be impeded.
The Action 2 has no gimbal to get in the way, just being a square object.  I'll try next with the magnetic mount inside a T-shirt and just the camera unit clipped on rather than the double-up unit which contains the SD card. That will limit me to just 22Gb of internal storage though. I'll see how that pans out.

Even with cam alone - the Action 2 footage walking is not that stable.  To reduce motion further from the neck lanyard - use a GoPro chest mount.  I tested and found the lanyard lacking - except when standing somewhat stationary talking to someone.  For that it worked fine.

Most times I use this in-hand or mounted or on a stick to capture 4K120 slo mo.  But since returning the OA3 early after it came out - transitioned to the 360 X3 - with and without wireless audio.  The X3 has been mind blowing getting incredible 360 stills and video.  

Trip last month to Hawaii - used the Action 2 primarily underwater without a case.   X3 everything else + a couple Google phones.  Amazed at what we captured.  YMMV.
2023-2-2
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

10-Bit Posted at 2-2 21:07
Even with cam alone - the Action 2 footage walking is not that stable.  To reduce motion further from the neck lanyard - use a GoPro chest mount.  I tested and found the lanyard lacking - except when standing somewhat stationary talking to someone.  For that it worked fine.

Most times I use this in-hand or mounted or on a stick to capture 4K120 slo mo.  But since returning the OA3 early after it came out - transitioned to the 360 X3 - with and without wireless audio.  The X3 has been mind blowing getting incredible 360 stills and video.  

Thanks for that input.  I was coming to the conclusion that a second lanyard would be necessary to hold the unit stable. So that chest-mount you mention sounds like the ideal solution. I'll check it out.
I have a Pocket2, which has given me good service. The problem is, my shaky old hands. I cannot hold it still enough and generally have to use a tripod.  Not ideal for walking about.  That's why the Action2 with its magnetic lanyard to wear around the neck caught my attention - Hands-Free seemed like the answer to my problem. Alas, it's not.  A head mount really isn't an elegant solution either, whilst it might be fine for skateboarders or BMXers.  I'm way beyond that age group
I doubt I'll be using it underwater either, but good to know it should be ok if I drop it in a puddle
YMMV ?  That didn't compute in my elderly brain.  Sorry. Maybe a reference to your posts? I'll check it out.  Have a good day.
2023-2-2
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2-2 23:10
Thanks for that input.  I was coming to the conclusion that a second lanyard would be necessary to hold the unit stable. So that chest-mount you mention sounds like the ideal solution. I'll check it out.
I have a Pocket2, which has given me good service. The problem is, my shaky old hands. I cannot hold it still enough and generally have to use a tripod.  Not ideal for walking about.  That's why the Action2 with its magnetic lanyard to wear around the neck caught my attention - Hands-Free seemed like the answer to my problem. Alas, it's not.  A head mount really isn't an elegant solution either, whilst it might be fine for skateboarders or BMXers.  I'm way beyond that age group
I doubt I'll be using it underwater either, but good to know it should be ok if I drop it in a puddle

YMMV - your mileage may vary
PSA - public service announcement

Action 2 is a good tiny device - but like anything - is not perfect.  Same with 360 X3.  But both used in their respective power zones - can render amazingly good results for what they are and what they cost.  Out of all my cam and video gear - these are my most inexpensive devices.  Perfect for our use.  But YMMV.
2023-2-2
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

10-Bit Posted at 2-2 23:51
YMMV - your mileage may vary
PSA - public service announcement

Haha. Thanks. Got it now.  Well I'll be increasing my mileage with the device quite soon.  I've only had it for three days.  Video from it is great when it's not moving, but that's not the purpose for which I got it
I'll find the solution soon. That chest strap may well be it
2023-2-2
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-2 06:17
I will say, that the recorded video with the unit placed on a firm, fixed surface, is very good.  But an ACTION camera is not really designed for that.

You're right about that. What's the point of calling it an action camera if you can't use it properly during said action?
2023-2-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-3 05:14
You're right about that. What's the point of calling it an action camera if you can't use it properly during said action?

I've managed some passable results since yesterday, but with Rocksteady selected, then trying the Ninja walk whilst leaning backwards to prevent the device constantly swinging away and bumping back against my chest.  I got some funny looks from passers-by.
2023-2-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-2 23:59
Haha. Thanks. Got it now.  Well I'll be increasing my mileage with the device quite soon.  I've only had it for three days.  Video from it is great when it's not moving, but that's not the purpose for which I got it
I'll find the solution soon. That chest strap may well be it

I hope the chest strap will do the job. :-)
2023-2-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-3 05:19
I hope the chest strap will do the job. :-)

Having looked at them online, I think I'll pass. Worn over outer clothing it would look as bulky as a parachute harness. Not the thing for a sedate city stroll.
2023-2-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-3 05:19
I've managed some passable results since yesterday, but with Rocksteady selected, then trying the Ninja walk whilst leaning backwards to prevent the device constantly swinging away and bumping back against my chest.  I got some funny looks from passers-by.

I see. I felt a bit of shy too when earlier on, I attempted to do the ninja walk with my Pocket 2. Ended up getting the Z-axis stabilizer from ScottyMakesStuff instead.
2023-2-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-3 05:22
Having looked at them online, I think I'll pass. Worn over outer clothing it would look as bulky as a parachute harness. Not the thing for a sedate city stroll.

I kind of see that point too. Tends to be a situation where it's hard to find a good solution without making compromises.
2023-2-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-3 05:25
I see. I felt a bit of shy too when earlier on, I attempted to do the ninja walk with my Pocket 2. Ended up getting the Z-axis stabilizer from ScottyMakesStuff instead.

It's all extra clutter to carry about though, isn't it. I'm trying to be minimalist and travel light
2023-2-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-3 05:26
I kind of see that point too. Tends to be a situation where it's hard to find a good solution without making compromises.

I'll keep trying
2023-2-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-3 05:29
It's all extra clutter to carry about though, isn't it. I'm trying to be minimalist and travel light

That is true. However, the one I got was a micro version that also doubles up as a storage case for the Pocket 2:

So not that much of an issue in this case :-)
2023-2-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-3 05:34
That is true. However, the one I got was a micro version that also doubles up as a storage case for the Pocket 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn3I9fHxmwg

So not that much of an issue in this case :-)

Apart from the bulky shoulder harness to mount it on
Hand-carry is not an option in my case.
Have you posted any footage from using yours?
2023-2-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-3 05:41
Apart from the bulky shoulder harness to mount it on
Hand-carry is not an option in my case.
Have you posted any footage from using yours?

I see. Not sure how it would work with a backpack that has a suitable strap.

Haven't taken much footage with it yet. And it will probably take some time again before I can try that better, as DJI called me and said I should send the Pocket 2 and the water-proof case for another trip to them, this time with UPS and to the Netherlands  :-(
2023-2-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-3 06:03
I see. Not sure how it would work with a backpack that has a suitable strap.

Haven't taken much footage with it yet. And it will probably take some time again before I can try that better, as DJI called me and said I should send the Pocket 2 and the water-proof case for another trip to them, this time with UPS and to the Netherlands  :-(

Again? That's irritating, I'm sure.  At least posting FROM the Netherlands seems to be very efficient.
With DHL at any rate.  UPS however?  Less certain
2023-2-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-3 06:13
Again? That's irritating, I'm sure.  At least posting FROM the Netherlands seems to be very efficient.
With DHL at any rate.  UPS however?  Less certain

Yeah, it is. I wouldn't mind about the Pocket 2 travelling the world, but I'd rather join it for those trips rather than staying home and wondering how long will it take to have it back.
2023-2-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-3 06:19
Yeah, it is. I wouldn't mind about the Pocket 2 travelling the world, but I'd rather join it for those trips rather than staying home and wondering how long will it take to have it back.

You could always deliver it in person
2023-2-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-3 06:21
You could always deliver it in person

Maybe, when there's less COVID problems and more financial stability.
2023-2-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-3 06:24
Maybe, when there's less COVID problems and more financial stability.

I expect that would involve taking a ferry from Turku to Stockholm. Then the Oresund bridge into Denmark, and onward.  An epic roadtrip
2023-2-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-3 06:40
I expect that would involve taking a ferry from Turku to Stockholm. Then the Oresund bridge into Denmark, and onward.  An epic roadtrip

It sure would be. But I am afraid the fuel costs would also be epic
2023-2-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-4 07:17
It sure would be. But I am afraid the fuel costs would also be epic

How about cycling ?
2023-2-4
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-4 13:14
How about cycling ?

Would probably be a lot of cheaper on money, though more time-consuming. And not sure if my fitness is good enough for that But thanks for the suggestion!
2023-2-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-5 05:01
Would probably be a lot of cheaper on money, though more time-consuming. And not sure if my fitness is good enough for that  But thanks for the suggestion!

You would certainly be fit by the time you got back home
2023-2-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-5 05:07
You would certainly be fit by the time you got back home

Either that, or dead
2023-2-5
Use props
PixelPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

Congrats. Let me know how it works
2023-2-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PixelPro Posted at 2-6 13:33
Congrats. Let me know how it works

I've been experimenting for a few days.  It has its limitations, but I'm hoping it will serve the purpose I intended it for - hands-free recording on the magnetic lanyard.
2023-2-6
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-6 13:37
I've been experimenting for a few days.  It has its limitations, but I'm hoping it will serve the purpose I intended it for - hands-free recording on the magnetic lanyard.

Recently, I have been toying with the idea of hands-free recording myself too, though not thinking about the Action 2 or similar action cameras.

My glasses are reaching the end of their lifespan, the hinge of the other arm has broken a bit and the glasses have become somewhat loose. Havuing the weird ideas I do, I was wondering if I could make a small tech update to my eyewear and put prescription lenses on one of these or similar ones: https://wearabletech.io/oho-sunshine-video-recording-sunglasses/

While the video quality will probably be not up to snuff of the Action 2 (this model only does 1080p and has no stabilization whatsoever), they A) are way cheaper while still seems to have somewhat decent video and audio, and B) seem to have more advanced alternatives which I could consider, if these proved not to be good enough and I could cough the cash up for them.

But of course, it depends a lot on what you are looking for. My guess is that the stabilization could make the Action 2 better. But if that's not up to the task, then maybe something like these?

EDIT: Of course, no way to directly see the footage without a computer or similar device, so in that case, the Action 2 is a clear win.
2023-2-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-9 06:42
Recently, I have been toying with the idea of hands-free recording myself too, though not thinking about the Action 2 or similar action cameras.

My glasses are reaching the end of their lifespan, the hinge of the other arm has broken a bit and the glasses have become somewhat loose. Havuing the weird ideas I do, I was wondering if I could make a small tech update to my eyewear and put prescription lenses on one of these or similar ones: https://wearabletech.io/oho-sunshine-video-recording-sunglasses/

An interesting concept, but as you say only viewable on a PC after the event.
With the Action2 you can see the viewed content in real time on your smartphone, blue-toothed to the device.  I'm getting to like it more. I'm intending to post my findings in the Products section soon, when I've edited all the footage and written the preamble.
2023-2-9
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-9 06:48
An interesting concept, but as you say only viewable on a PC after the event.
With the Action2 you can see the viewed content in real time on your smartphone, blue-toothed to the device.  I'm getting to like it more. I'm intending to post my findings in the Products section soon, when I've edited all the footage and written the preamble.

Yes, I can see that would be a deal-breaker in many cases.

Glad to hear you're starting to like it more. And will be interested to see what you will be coming up with. :-)
2023-2-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-9 11:23
Yes, I can see that would be a deal-breaker in many cases.

Glad to hear you're starting to like it more. And will be interested to see what you will be coming up with. :-)

Check out the Cloudlapse.
2023-2-9
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-9 11:57
Check out the Cloudlapse.

I'll see it when I have more time, thanks for the heads-up :-)
2023-2-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-11 04:36
I'll see it when I have more time, thanks for the heads-up :-)

2023-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules