RC Controller Map Quality
3115 37 2023-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_eawJYoFhYBq2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 224390 ft
Canada

Is there any fix yet for the terrible low resolution map quality on the RC controller?

The satellite layer especially is worse than useless!

RC-N1 with a phone or tablet works fine.

DJI has acknowledged the issue but so far no sign of improvement...

2023-1-28
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

Yerp. One of the reasons I use the N1.
2023-1-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We do notice that the Maptiler has lower satellite accuracy in some countries, our relevant team is working on this issue as well, thanks for your feedback, which will help us to improve this service quality better and optimize this issue in future App versions. Please stay tuned for our DJI official website update.
2023-1-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Phone or tablet is fine because they use Google services and hence Google Maps, DJI don't appear to be allowed to use Google services and therefore stuck with the much lower quality MapTiler, although i am not sure why they had to stop using MapBox, perhaps it was a money thing or perhaps because they too are US based, although, i'm not sure why they cant use that one...
2023-1-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I recommend you fly with the radar display turned on,  it's far more useful than the map.
2023-1-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-29 01:25
I recommend you fly with the radar display turned on,  it's far more useful than the map.

Agreed, the only time i find the map of any use now is on the return journey, just to make sure i don't go too far off course, tends to happen as i fly manually a fair bit.

Satellite maps used to be useful for finding stuff, but thats not possible unless I use the phone, its more finicky now so we do really need them back but i cant see how thats going to happen, the left MapBox for MapTiler for a reason, i just cant work that one out just yet...
2023-1-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-29 04:38
Agreed, the only time i find the map of any use now is on the return journey, just to make sure i don't go too far off course, tends to happen as i fly manually a fair bit.

Satellite maps used to be useful for finding stuff, but thats not possible unless I use the phone, its more finicky now so we do really need them back but i cant see how thats going to happen, the left MapBox for MapTiler for a reason, i just cant work that one out just yet...

The radar also shows up if the drone in kangarooing or being hit heard with the wind.
2023-1-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-29 04:55
The radar also shows up if the drone in kangarooing or being hit heard with the wind.

The wind, yes, I dont normally worry too much about the wind unless I'm on a run, gives you an idea as to how hard ya buddy is flying lol that said, I've normally planned for it, i.e. if its over 10mph i don't bother even leaving those if its just for the range run.

Anyhoo, what is this kangarooing lark?
2023-1-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-29 07:37
The wind, yes, I dont normally worry too much about the wind unless I'm on a run, gives you an idea as to how hard ya buddy is flying lol that said, I've normally planned for it, i.e. if its over 10mph i don't bother even leaving those if its just for the range run.

I have no idea what causes it but the Mini3 will occasionally will kangaroo,  like someone who hasn't learnt how the clutch works in a car.   Unless you can clearly see the drone there are two ways to tell its happening,  the radar or the speed.
2023-1-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-29 08:01
I have no idea what causes it but the Mini3 will occasionally will kangaroo,  like someone who hasn't learnt how the clutch works in a car.   Unless you can clearly see the drone there are two ways to tell its happening,  the radar or the speed.

Oh, wow, not sure ive come across that yet :/
I know one thing, the bloody right stick has ruined the thumb on my eXtremities glove, they are too bloody rough, need a new pair now, wondering about these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pgytech-Photography-Gloves-Large-Unisex/dp/B07JRFCHV9
2023-1-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-29 08:25
Oh, wow, not sure ive come across that yet :/
I know one thing, the bloody right stick has ruined the thumb on my eXtremities glove, they are too bloody rough, need a new pair now, wondering about these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pgytech-Photography-Gloves-Large-Unisex/dp/B07JRFCHV9

I never wear a glove on my right hand when flying.  
2023-1-30
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The maps are particularly poor. There is a cloud over my usual flying area and absolutely no detail whatsoever, It would be good if DJI could improve them.
2023-1-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-30 00:56
I never wear a glove on my right hand when flying.

my thumb freezes lol
2023-1-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-29 07:37
The wind, yes, I dont normally worry too much about the wind unless I'm on a run, gives you an idea as to how hard ya buddy is flying lol that said, I've normally planned for it, i.e. if its over 10mph i don't bother even leaving those if its just for the range run.

Here's an example of what you see when the drone kangaroos.    In this same the right stick was held forward and not moved.

2023-1-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-31 01:51
Here's an example of what you see when the drone kangaroos.    In this same the right stick was held forward and not moved.

that aint right, it needs a service
2023-1-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-31 04:12
that aint right, it needs a service

This is from the flight log.  It's done it from time to time since day one and my Mavic 2 pro has also done it a few times.   

2023-1-31
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

I have stable speed. But I didn't fly in strong winds. Maybe this is the problem?
2023-1-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-31 04:17
This is from the flight log.  It's done it from time to time since day one and my Mavic 2 pro has also done it a few times.   

[view_image]

Thats cream krackered chap, speak to support, could prob do with a new one anyway lol
2023-1-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-31 07:51
Thats cream krackered chap, speak to support, could prob do with a new one anyway lol

It rarely happens and if it does all you do is release the right stick and reapply.
2023-1-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-31 07:52
It rarely happens and if it does all you do is release the right stick and reapply.

Thats just it, you shouldn't have to do that, sommat is wrong, when was the last time you did a calibration of the damn, forgot what its called but you know what i mean?
2023-1-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-31 18:18
Thats just it, you shouldn't have to do that, sommat is wrong, when was the last time you did a calibration of the damn, forgot what its called but you know what i mean?

A few days ago the IMU and compass were calibrated.     It happens once in 50 or so flights for me.  And it's not the only drone Ive had that does it.  Most people would not see it without paying careful attention to the radar.
2023-2-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 2-1 00:47
A few days ago the IMU and compass were calibrated.     It happens once in 50 or so flights for me.  And it's not the only drone Ive had that does it.  Most people would not see it without paying careful attention to the radar.

True, i only watch the radar on a long haul, still, i would want it sorted, sommat ain't right
2023-2-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Mullheliflier Posted at 1-30 01:31
The maps are particularly poor. There is a cloud over my usual flying area and absolutely no detail whatsoever, It would be good if DJI could improve them.

Thank you for your feedback and we're sorry for the trouble. We will coordinate this concern of yours to our designated team for attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-2-23
Use props
fans09590221
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Glad I’m not the only one disappointed by the quality  of the satellite layer used on the DJI RC Controller maps. It is almost useless, and a huge disimprovement over the one used in the old DJI-Go app.
Surely it is time DJI fixed this problem, which is letting down an otherwise brilliant product.

I see several customers share my complaint, so could you at DJI please let me know what progress you are making to resolve this issue
2023-4-29
Use props
virusPL
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4115955 ft
  • >>>
Poland

when fix will be released?
2023-7-8
Use props
bobmalkh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 88045 ft
Israel

virusPL Posted at 7-8 01:38
when fix will be released?

+1
I join the question, when will this problem be fixed? in a new location, a good satellite map is really needed so that there is visibility like on a phone with an N-1 remote control
2023-7-8
Use props
Electriflyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65279 ft
Australia

Same issue with satellite layers.
Cant make out anything.
Was working for a while when I bought the DJI RC then Gone.
the update in April didn't fix it.
Stuck with a poor quality product.
Its been to long.
2023-7-13
Use props
DuRavary
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125135 ft
France

I don’t understand the problem. I always download the maps for the areas where I’m goin* to fly and on screen they are of a better quality than my Garmin satnav. Is this a regional problem?
2023-7-13
Use props
bobmalkh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 88045 ft
Israel

DuRavary Posted at 7-13 23:40
I don’t understand the problem. I always download the maps for the areas where I’m goin* to fly and on screen they are of a better quality than my Garmin satnav. Is this a regional problem?

We are talking about the RC(RM-330) remote control and satellite maps. Perhaps you are right that the problem is regional. In any case, in Israel it just looks terrible. By the way, the maps are not Google, but another company.
On my other remote (usual without a screen), Google maps are loaded from the tablet. Everything is great there.
Therefore, I have something to compare and the difference is terrifying.
I'm just ashamed of DJI that they save on maps, and we risk flight safety.
2023-7-14
Use props
Electriflyer
lvl.2
Australia

bobmalkh Posted at 7-14 01:14
We are talking about the RC(RM-330) remote control and satellite maps. Perhaps you are right that the problem is regional. In any case, in Israel it just looks terrible. By the way, the maps are not Google, but another company.
On my other remote (usual without a screen), Google maps are loaded from the tablet. Everything is great there.
Therefore, I have something to compare and the difference is terrifying.

If it was regional then my fellow DJI RC owners here in Australia would be having the same issue as me.
2023-7-15
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Electriflyer Posted at 7-15 17:59
If it was regional then my fellow DJI RC owners here in Australia would be having the same issue as me.

And we do indeed, since DJI changed map provider... Plenty of threads about if you search... The new maps are useless unless you live in dense populated area (Australia don't qualify), or if you don't use terrain...

The only way of fixing this would be for DJI to revert back to the previous map supplier, and so far, it has not happened...

This is old news...
2023-7-16
Use props
virusPL
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4115955 ft
  • >>>
Poland

DJI - when fix will be released?
2023-7-20
Use props
Electriflyer
lvl.2
Australia

Old news and still current.

They must want us to buy the DJI rc2.

Think we should all submit a support ticket seeing this isn't what we paid for.
2023-7-26
Use props
Hexter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 86335 ft
United States

I continue to look for answers as to WHY IS DJI USING OUTDATED MAPS WITH AN INCREDIBLY SUBSTANDARD RESOLUTION ON A PREMIER PRODUCT JUST RELEASED[b]

2023-10-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hexter Posted at 10-28 19:37
I continue to look for answers as to WHY IS DJI USING OUTDATED MAPS WITH AN INCREDIBLY SUBSTANDARD RESOLUTION ON A PREMIER PRODUCT JUST RELEASED

The Maptiler is used on devices that do not support Google services. However, we appreciate your feedback. I will forward it to the related department. Rest assured they are already working on the issue.
2023-10-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hexter Posted at 10-28 19:37
I continue to look for answers as to WHY IS DJI USING OUTDATED MAPS WITH AN INCREDIBLY SUBSTANDARD RESOLUTION ON A PREMIER PRODUCT JUST RELEASED
Prob cause its free and or they are not restricted by license.

If you want good maps, then you will need to use the N(*) RC and your own device, its a shame cause as it stands, it is poop
2023-10-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-29 05:02
I have had seem this phenomenon happen to my Mini 3 Pro a few of times.  You only notice it from the radar as the gimbal keeps the camera level.  I have found if I release the stick & let it hover for a second, then resume forward progress, the oscillation stops & flight returns to normal.

Yes exactly the same happens to mine, although Ive not seen it as often since the last firmware update.  
2023-10-29
Use props
Hexter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 86335 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 10-29 04:05
The Maptiler is used on devices that do not support Google services. However, we appreciate your feedback. I will forward it to the related department. Rest assured they are already working on the issue.

I always appreciate how quickly you respond (DJI) but rearely is anything done.   This thread goes back over SIX MONTHS, and a similar response was putout then (we are working on it).

DJI work is going fine pumping out new products at hyper speed, but often what appear to be less-than-gargantuan fixes, take forever to rectify, if not totally dismissed.  

This map issue is critical for many, esp those who rely on the accuracy and level of detail offered by google  via GMS.  Let’s see something, or if you’re not going to do anything, just say so.  
2023-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules