Tablet Question
615 9 2023-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JCapps
lvl.2

United States

May be a dumb question but can you use a tablet that only has wifi and no cell service while out flying in an area without available wifi? I would think that you could and that the tablet and drone would still communicate with each other but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks
2023-1-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please confirm what specific DJI Product are you using? Also, what specific tablet are you referring on the post? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-1-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You dont need cell service to fly, as long as you dont need to unlock a geozone.  Also consider that some devices that are wifi only dont have a gps in built which will effect how you can update the home point to the controller.
2023-1-29
Use props
JCapps
lvl.2

United States

I currently have the DJI Air 2S and I am considering getting an IPad Pro or Samsung Tab S8. I prefer Android but the Apple has a brighter display for using in brighter conditions. The Samsung has 500 nits while the IPad Pro has 600 nits on their older models but 1000 nits (11") or 1600 nits (12.9") on their 2021models. I have been trying to research as much as possible to help me make a decision. I would think that the IPad Pro would have the GPS especially since it's on the higher end and it's on the DJI list of approved tablets. Also if by chance I would need to look at a geozone, I would have my phone with me that I am currently using to fly with plus I would always look at the area I am planning on flying in prior to going.
2023-1-29
Use props
fable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6224147 ft
Cyprus

JCapps Posted at 1-29 06:18
I currently have the DJI Air 2S and I am considering getting an IPad Pro or Samsung Tab S8. I prefer Android but the Apple has a brighter display for using in brighter conditions. The Samsung has 500 nits while the IPad Pro has 600 nits on their older models but 1000 nits (11") or 1600 nits (12.9") on their 2021models. I have been trying to research as much as possible to help me make a decision. I would think that the IPad Pro would have the GPS especially since it's on the higher end and it's on the DJI list of approved tablets. Also if by chance I would need to look at a geozone, I would have my phone with me that I am currently using to fly with plus I would always look at the area I am planning on flying in prior to going.

I've been using a second 6gb RAM smartphone with DJI Fly app and was considering a tablet also.
I would prefer, as well, an android tablet but I'm having difficulties finding a decent one with adequate luminosity.
2023-2-1
Use props
JCapps
lvl.2

United States

fable Posted at 2-1 08:38
I've been using a second 6gb RAM smartphone with DJI Fly app and was considering a tablet also.
I would prefer, as well, an android tablet but I'm having difficulties finding a decent one with adequate luminosity.

Yea I completely understand. I'm in the same boat. The Tab Active 3 has 700 nits and the Tripltek Pro has 1200 nits but they are only 8" tablets. Then there is the Tab S8 and S8+ that is about 500 nits while the S8 Ultra is close to 600 nits but it's huge at 14.6". The S8 is 11" while the S8+ is 12.4. My current phone is 6.8" so going to an 8" is a waste of money in my opinion. I'd like 11" or up to 12.9" but worried the 12.9" may be too large. The iPad Pro's are 600 nits with the newer 12.9" going up to 1000 or 1600 nits so I've read. I have a Tab A that's 10.1" but it wont work with the fly app. I really don't want to spend a fortune on a tablet and the higher nits choices are not cheap. Still reading a lot and trying to narrow down the best options and prices. Not ruling out refurbished at this point.
2023-2-1
Use props
fable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6224147 ft
Cyprus

JCapps Posted at 2-1 17:01
Yea I completely understand. I'm in the same boat. The Tab Active 3 has 700 nits and the Tripltek Pro has 1200 nits but they are only 8" tablets. Then there is the Tab S8 and S8+ that is about 500 nits while the S8 Ultra is close to 600 nits but it's huge at 14.6". The S8 is 11" while the S8+ is 12.4. My current phone is 6.8" so going to an 8" is a waste of money in my opinion. I'd like 11" or up to 12.9" but worried the 12.9" may be too large. The iPad Pro's are 600 nits with the newer 12.9" going up to 1000 or 1600 nits so I've read. I have a Tab A that's 10.1" but it wont work with the fly app. I really don't want to spend a fortune on a tablet and the higher nits choices are not cheap. Still reading a lot and trying to narrow down the best options and prices. Not ruling out refurbished at this point.

Please fill me up if you find something that's worth it.
Thanx
2023-2-2
Use props
JCapps
lvl.2

United States

fable Posted at 2-2 02:28
Please fill me up if you find something that's worth it.
Thanx

I sure will. I like the brightness of the iPad Pro 12.9" at 1000 nits and 11" at 600 nits but they are pricy. The Android Tab S8 11" and 12.4" are 500 nits and the Tab S5E 10.5" is 450 nits but they are much less expensive. The Apple has to be wi-fi and cellular for GPS and a compass which cost even more but from what I can find the Android has both even on wi-fi alone. Still researching and wondering if I should go Android and just get a hood for the very bright days. What to do??? Still researching.
Edit. Also have read that the Apple's get hot and shut down on warmer days in the sun. Have not read that about Android so that's another thing to consider.

2023-2-2
Use props
JCapps
lvl.2

United States

So I thought I would give an update. Ended up getting an iPad Air 4. Got a good deal and it's in pristine condition. Went by a locally owned electronics store close to where I work that had a variety of tablets that gave me an opportunity to look at them in person. I took my controller with me to compare sizes and feel the weight of each tablet. The mini's just weren't large enough for my liking and the 12.4 to 12.9 inch tablets just felt too large. They had a few choices between the Air and Pro models but most didn't have cellular capabilities. I almost went with the Pro but we struck a deal on the Air after I made multiple offers and managed to get it for $300 less than the Pro. I know the Air is not quite as bright as the Pro but I could not pass on the price we agreed on for the Air. Installed the app but haven't had a chance to fly the drone yet. Can't wait to try it out.
2023-2-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

JCapps Posted at 1-29 06:18
I currently have the DJI Air 2S and I am considering getting an IPad Pro or Samsung Tab S8. I prefer Android but the Apple has a brighter display for using in brighter conditions. The Samsung has 500 nits while the IPad Pro has 600 nits on their older models but 1000 nits (11") or 1600 nits (12.9") on their 2021models. I have been trying to research as much as possible to help me make a decision. I would think that the IPad Pro would have the GPS especially since it's on the higher end and it's on the DJI list of approved tablets. Also if by chance I would need to look at a geozone, I would have my phone with me that I am currently using to fly with plus I would always look at the area I am planning on flying in prior to going.

Thank you for your response. Please note that we don't need Wi-Fi or cell service when flying the aircraft besides, we recommend turning it off to ensure a strong connection between the aircraft and the remote controller. We strongly recommend using a compatible device when using the DJI Fly app to avoid any unknown errors. You may check the link below for the list. Thank you for your valued support.

https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly
2023-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules