Odd battery occurence?
1136 10 2023-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

Hello all,

I had an unexpected and unusual thing I think, happen today. I had fully charged my controller and then mounted the phone to check on any firmware updates. The battery which was in the drone was as expected for I hadn't used the drone for a few days, down to 69%. So all seemed to connect aok except the app couldn't see the drone's installed memory card. So I thought I would turn the drone off and then remove the memory card and reinstall it. However, I couldn't turn the drone off. It refused the normal quick press and hold and I had no option but to remove the battery to close it down. I then installed a separate battery from my flymore kit and it too is currently at 69% (again, I'm comfortable with that because it's AFAIK, normal to preserve the longevity of the batteries). Once the different battery was installed, the memory card having been reinstalled too was now all working aok. I am currently charging the second and third batteries and am wondering if there's any way to diagnose that first battery or should I just see how it goes next time I put it in the drone?

2023-1-28
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. May we if the same issue happens on the second and thrid batteries?
2023-1-30
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Personally I'd try the 'suspect' battery in the drone again and see if the issue returns.

Replacing the battery obviously results in the drone going through its startup process again. So, it could just have been a dodgy startup that resulted in the issue first time. The full power down and power back up may have resolved the issue rather than the battery change.

Trying the original suspect battery again will help determine that.
2023-1-30
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Wanda Posted at 1-30 00:23
Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. May we if the same issue happens on the second and thrid batteries?

Thanks Wanda, I will indeed keep you posted.
2023-1-30
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 1-30 02:08
Personally I'd try the 'suspect' battery in the drone again and see if the issue returns.

Replacing the battery obviously results in the drone going through its startup process again. So, it could just have been a dodgy startup that resulted in the issue first time. The full power down and power back up may have resolved the issue rather than the battery change.

Thanks NOT, I will give that a try shortly. I will update appropriately.
2023-1-30
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

GT2022 Posted at 1-30 02:36

2023-1-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

GT2022 Posted at 1-30 02:35
Thanks Wanda, I will indeed keep you posted.

Thank you so much.
2023-1-30
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

GT2022 Posted at 1-30 02:36

NOT and @DJI Wanda,
As NOT suggested "...[it must] have been a dodgy startup that resulted in the issue first time...."
I fully charged the RC controller (it was down to about two green bars and then I charged all three batteries. First I inserted a battery that had not ever seen service yet and it worked fine. I then replaced that battery with the one that was installed when the issue originally occurred. I am delighted to report then that the unit is fully functional. Perhaps it was indeed the dodgy startup that NOT suggested which itself was possibly/probably caused by the reduced battery charge. Whatever the reason, I'm happy that the problem seems fully resolved. Thanks to you both.
2023-1-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I then installed a separate battery from my flymore kit and it too is currently at 69% (again, I'm comfortable with that because it's AFAIK, normal to preserve the longevity of the batteries).
You shouldn't feel comfortable using a battery that has been sitting around discharging.
The % indicator is only accurate for batteries that have been recently fully charged.
You would get a very false indication trusting it and possibly lose the drone when the cell voltage falls rapidly.
Always charge your batteries before flying
2023-1-30
Use props
GT2022
lvl.3
Australia

Labroides Posted at 1-30 20:36
I then installed a separate battery from my flymore kit and it too is currently at 69% (again, I'm comfortable with that because it's AFAIK, normal to preserve the longevity of the batteries).
You shouldn't feel comfortable using a battery that has been sitting around discharging.
The % indicator is only accurate for batteries that have been recently fully charged.

Thanks Labroides for that tip. It didn't occur to me to doubt the charge indicator and especially given the drone is just a few week's old. When I first took delivery of it, I fully charged all batteries as per the recommended procedure via the manual etc. I thought the gradual discharge is indeed normal in order for the batteries to maintain optimal health and longevity. As I said, I had no notion that the charge status lights would not necessarily be accurate so again, I will ensure all batteries I intend to use on flight day are in fact fully charged
2023-1-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

GT2022 Posted at 1-30 19:57
NOT and @DJI Wanda,
As NOT suggested "... have been a dodgy startup that resulted in the issue first time...."
I fully charged the RC controller (it was down to about two green bars and then I charged all three batteries. First I inserted a battery that had not ever seen service yet and it worked fine. I then replaced that battery with the one that was installed when the issue originally occurred. I am delighted to report then that the unit is fully functional. Perhaps it was indeed the dodgy startup that NOT suggested which itself was possibly/probably caused by the reduced battery charge. Whatever the reason, I'm happy that the problem seems fully resolved. Thanks to you both.

Hello, GT. Sorry for the late response. We're glad that you already managed to isolate the issue that you experienced before. Should you have any inquiries or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules