Camera Feed on Android Phones
2370 14 2023-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
monkey_penny
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68100 ft
United States

Hi, Could someone please help me troubleshoot the lack of video feed?  

I have a Mavic 2 Zoom, with a regular DJI controller and a Pixel 6 Android phone.  The drone camera's feed to my phone is intermittent (or sometimes doesn't work at all), even when the done is sitting three feet away from the controller/phone.  I lost the camera connection: while in a flight ~100 feet away; while in flight 10 feet away; while inside the house 3 feet away from the controller/phone.  All other controls seem to work fine.  

Even while sitting next to the controller and the connected phone, the image from the camera on my screen goes from color to black & white (indicating lost connection), while all other controller functions continue to work.  The color (i.e., live) image comes back at unpredictable times (sometimes not at all).  

Troubleshooting I've tried so far:
·       Three different controller-phone cables.
·       Using different controller ports for the cables.
·       Refreshing the firmware (to the latest versions) of both the drone and controller.
·       Uninstalled and reinstalled the DJI Go 4 app.
·       Reformatted the micro SD card.  
·       Removed the SD card.
·       Reset camera settings to default.

Other notes:

1.    Controls:
a.    The gimbal works fine in all directions, as does the zoom.  It moves correctly via dials on the controller, and via swipes on my phone’s screen.
2.    Memory card:
a.    The problem exists both when the microSD card is inserted and not inserted.  
b.    The drone can take photos and movies, and store them on the SD card (and take & store photos in drone memory when there’s no SD card).
3.    Connection:
a.    The controller's status screen indicates 5 bars of signal strength.
b.    The connection between the controller and drone works fine (e.g., the drone receives and responds to commands & sends it status).
c.     I have ensured the RC antenna are in optimal positions (e.g., 45 degrees in flight, and otherwise well-positioned relative to the drone).
d.    There is no interference is indicated in the flight environment.  I have tried multiple open-space locations, including two feet away from the drone.
e.    The channel selection is set to Auto on RC.
4.    Phones:
a.    My modern, updated Android phone (Pixel 6) is on the compatibility list, and I am using the latest GO 4 app version.
b.    I connected by done to a borrowed iPhone, and the drone’s video feed works fine at all times.
5.    Other
a.    The drone is 'new to me'.  No crashes, hard landings, etc., and no observable damage, etc.
b.    The device is at normal operating temperature; I experience the lack of camera feed both at first-start (everything is cold), and when on for several minutes.

I've seen many similar posts regarding lost/no video feed for Androids.  The fact that things work fine for me on an iPhone, combined with my other troubleshooting, seems to mean that sending in my drone for repair doesn't make sense.  I welcome ideas to fix this.  Thank you.

2023-1-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. Would you please tell us the DJI GO 4 app version you used? Would you send us a video of the issue?
2023-1-29
Use props
monkey_penny
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 1-29 20:27
Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. Would you please tell us the DJI GO 4 app version you used? Would you send us a video of the issue?

Hi,

I am using the latest Go 4 version (4.3.54).

Here are two links to videos that show the problem I've described.  They show my phone, the controller, the drone, and the cords.  Each video uses a different cord and a different controller port for the cord.

The videos show the video from the drone toggling between color (video being sent) and black & white (no video being sent).  You can also see that I can control the drone's gimbal from both the controller and the phone's screen (indicating that commands are flowing fine), and that the video from the drone is not changing while the gimbal moves.

The videos I'm sending simply replicate what I described in my post.  Can you help me understand why you wanted to see them, and what your theory is about the problem, and of course what the fix might be?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JMiT7QZKm_a1qdE37RNQK8iiXAQchcLN/view?usp=share_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gr4vw1-FT8KpjIzqa1ccoWm52NfjyDK5/view?usp=share_link

Thank you.
2023-1-31
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

monkey_penny Posted at 1-31 12:42
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, we would like to see if you can replicate the issue outside in an open field without signal interference. That would be more helpful for our engineers to isolate the issue and analyze it. May we know did you try on other Andriod devices? Only the Pixel 6 has this issue, right?
If so, can we have the App log?  We will escalate this issue to our engineers.  
2023-1-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

monkey_penny Posted at 1-31 12:42
Hi,

Thank you for your information. As you have tested the drone with an iPhone and there is no issue, we may have to consider the issue of the DJI GO 4 APP on your phone, or the connection port of the phone.  
May I know if you would be able to try with another Android phone that is listed on the compatible list to see if it is the same?
If the issue did not exist with another Android phone, please check the connection port of your phone to see if it could be loosened. If it is not, please help to export the app log to us, we will forward it to the engineers for further investigation. Route to the log: \DJI\dji.go.v4\LOG.
If the issue exists with another Android phone, please try more cables, and if still the same, please also help to export the app log to us. Thank you very much.
2023-1-31
Use props
monkey_penny
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 1-31 23:58
Thank you for your information. As you have tested the drone with an iPhone and there is no issue, we may have to consider the issue of the DJI GO 4 APP on your phone, or the connection port of the phone.  
May I know if you would be able to try with another Android phone that is listed on the compatible list to see if it is the same?
If the issue did not exist with another Android phone, please check the connection port of your phone to see if it could be loosened. If it is not, please help to export the app log to us, we will forward it to the engineers for further investigation. Route to the log: \DJI\dji.go.v4\LOG.

Hello,

This problem exists regardless of whether I am indoors, or in an open field.  Today, I went to an open field, and the video sent to my phone's screen continues to not work (loses or never makes a connection).  

All commands to the drone work both from the controller and from the phone (e.g., I can pivot the gimbal from phone screen, and send other commands/and receive drone status, including indicating a strong connection).  My RC antenna are correctly pointed.

Videos sent to the SD card work fine.

Here is a link to the log from today's open field test flights, where recorded video (to SD card) and controls work fine, but video to my phone screen does not.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hz20FVvMgCCBdzqYvco84zK6tE5TnX5h/view?usp=share_link

Here is a link to a corresponding video that is correctly recorded to my SD card:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HfB1oMtMIAPXZQSOcx0zo5gkt-2QEGDf/view?usp=share_link

Here is a link to the folder that has other logs and SD card videos:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1riiUKK6kptXazRXbhuehHIlRNdCaVw68?usp=share_link

I don't have access to another Android phone.  As noted, my wife's iPhone works fine.  I have tried five different USB cables (some brand new from Google), and tried both connection ports on the RC (top left corner, and bottom middle).  My new Pixel 6 phone's USB works fine both for charges and for data transfers.

I am going on an important family vacation at the end of February.  Is there anything you can do to fix this in time for that?

Much appreciated!
2023-2-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

monkey_penny Posted at 2-5 11:21
Hello,

This problem exists regardless of whether I am indoors, or in an open field.  Today, I went to an open field, and the video sent to my phone's screen continues to not work (loses or never makes a connection).  

Thank you for your detailed information. As per the description, there may be a compatibility issue with the phone and DJI Fly app, I have sent the access request to the file. After I receive the files, I will forward it to the engineers. However, we may not be able to assure you that we will be able to provide a solution before the end of Feburary, hope for your kind understanding.
2023-2-6
Use props
monkey_penny
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2-6 05:50
Thank you for your detailed information. As per the description, there may be a compatibility issue with the phone and DJI Fly app, I have sent the access request to the file. After I receive the files, I will forward it to the engineers. However, we may not be able to assure you that we will be able to provide a solution before the end of Feburary, hope for your kind understanding.

Hi,

I have since read many other posts, on this forum and others, about Pixel 6 video feed problems.  It has been, evidently, a known problem for at least a year.  Are you aware of that?  I ask simply so that you can leverage research that may have already been done to resolve this known problem.  

Can you please let me know what you expect and when, and when I might expect some options?

Thank you.
2023-2-9
Use props
djiuser_Si9om9CVX1FK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34002234 ft
United States

I don't know if this has been answered yet, but I read somewhere that is the chipset within the pixel 6 and pixel pro 6. If you keep up with such things, Google went with its own chipset instead of using the traditional Qualcomm chipset.  And the drivers don't quite align and DJI is too cheap to write and create new drivers for it to work. This is why does not work. The work around is to use the litchi app. It works just fine. I use it on my Pixel pro 6 all the time as I have to have no choice. All my other phones work just fine and they're all Androids.. Even my Pixel 3XL works  but the pixel pro 6 as I said has its own chipset and DJI does not want to write a driver set for it. That is why it doesn't work. I don't know how it works with the Litchy app but it does.
2023-4-26
Use props
ellis hardy12
New

United States

Greeting, my name is ellis i have a problem which I face this problem a lot of time whenever I open my camera it works and then I switch to portrait mode it gets shut down itself help me.
2023-5-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

ellis hardy12 Posted at 5-4 05:30
Greeting, my name is ellis i have a problem which I face this problem a lot of time whenever I open my camera it works and then I switch to portrait mode it gets shut down itself help me.

Hi there, could you please tell us the model of your unit and provide us with a sample video for further confirmation? You can upload the video to Dropbox or Google Drive and then send us the link here.
2023-5-5
Use props
ra2685
New
India

I can confirm the same issue on the Pixel 7. I tested it with one other andorid phone and it worked like a charm. The issue seems to be specific to the Pixel lineup
2023-11-17
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

ra2685 Posted at 11-17 03:15
I can confirm the same issue on the Pixel 7. I tested it with one other andorid phone and it worked like a charm. The issue seems to be specific to the Pixel lineup

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know which aircraft you are using? How about the Andriod System?
2023-11-17
Use props
fans72319b9d
New
Flight distance : 160361 ft
United States

Just hopping in to say I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Mavic 2 Pro. Pixel 7A. The connection works fine with an iPhone 11 Pro Max. Tried multiple cables, both ports - nothing. My issue looks exactly the same as OP.

Thankfully, I can just use the iPhone - I don't have the time to put through a formal request - but I hope DJI looks into this.
1-18 07:08
Use props
djiuser_Si9om9CVX1FK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34002234 ft
United States

I like how DJI has their tech person asking questions. Pretending to look for an answer They know exactly why the app doesn't work with the newer Google Pixels ( 6, 7 and 8 ).  I'll say it again. Google has designed and uses their own processor chip for the Pixel line up. They are called the Tensor.. they've been using these Tensor processers instead of qualcomms for the last three pixel phones. DJI does not want to write a driver for these new processors . So they just list the Pixels as non-compatible. They are just a few of many other Android phones that are no longer compatible with a DJI Go4 app. So any of you out there trying to make your Google pixel 6, 7 & 8 work. It's not going too. Litchy is your answer.  Strange. As the Litchi will tell you it's a companion app to the various official DJI apps.
1-31 02:06
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules