Active track limited to 8-10m after firmware update!!!
7756 35 2023-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ikaro76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 726224 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Are you kidding me??? What’s happened to the active track after the firmware update? The distance from the subject using the active track now is limited to less then 10 meters. Why? And first of all, why we haven’t been warned before the update?
I often use active track for my drone shooting and now i cannot use it anymore…it’s a shame!
You killed my mavic mini 3 pro
I’m looking forward to hear dji explanations
2023-1-29
Use props
MHM
Second Officer

United States

I used active track today over 300m distance with no issues. Hopefully it was just a glitch on your end and you have no issues in the future.
2023-1-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Ikaro76. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. The ActiveTrack range limitation was not included in the recent update and should work as it is. May we ask what were you trying to track when it was limited to less than or equal to 10 meters? We will wait for your reply. Thank you.
2023-1-29
Use props
Ikaro76
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

MHM Posted at 1-29 18:37
I used active track today over 300m distance with no issues. Hopefully it was just a glitch on your end and you have no issues in the future.

are you flying CE or FCC mode?
2023-1-30
Use props
Ikaro76
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-29 18:55
Hi, Ikaro76. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. The ActiveTrack range limitation was not included in the recent update and should work as it is. May we ask what were you trying to track when it was limited to less than or equal to 10 meters? We will wait for your reply. Thank you.

Hello,
I tried in two different places but the problem is the same. I think it's a restriction you put in for drones flying in CE mode. European law limits automatic flight to 50 meters but here the limit is not even 10 meters...it seems absurd to me.
An Italian youtuber already spoke about the problem a month ago with the introduction of the penultimate firmware. Here is the link
I am also attaching a photo where you can see the warning message at the top left of the dji fly app that if I take the drone to over 6 meters it tells me "object too far away" (sorry the interface is in Italian)

The current firmware is 1.00.0450 but the limit was set with the previous firmware.

My drone flies in CE mode

I'm waiting for your reply

thank you
2023-1-30
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

"European law limits automatic flight to 50 meters"

Do you have the source of this information?
Because according to UAS.OPEN.020 3) for A1 category it is 50m from the pilot.  The radio is not required to have a GPS to calculate this distance. It is up to the operator to worry about it. So there shouldn't be this limitation in the firmware.

Or DJI takes the starting point as a reference. If so, that's not very smart.
2023-1-30
Use props
Ikaro76
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-30 04:18
"European law limits automatic flight to 50 meters"

Do you have the source of this information?

Hi, Here we are:

https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/do ... raft-systems?page=5

"(3) by way of derogation from point (d) of paragraph 1 of Article 4, be conducted, when the follow‑me mode is active, up to a distance of 50 metres from the remote pilot;"

Those are related to Mavic 3 and C1 certification, and as far as I understande the Mavic mini 3 pro (<250g) shouldn't have those limitations

https://www.dji.com/mt/newsroom/ ... -for-mavic-3-series
https://flyfiretech.com/blogs/%E ... flight-restrictions

By the way, 50m would be fine...but a maximum distance of 6-8 meters is crap.
2023-1-30
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

You don't only use Active Track for following yourself though.
Most things are VLOS whilst following something else.
2023-1-30
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Ikaro76 Posted at 1-30 05:12
Hi, Here we are:

https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/do ... raft-systems?page=5

So we are talking about the same text.

Now the question we ask DJI, is it 50m,
-from the starting point?
-from the radio control?
-from  the target of the tracking?

But if we refer to what is written in the other links 8-10m this is not normal, you should not encounter this problem. A firmware to update most certainly.
"When the ActiveTrack Intelligent Flight Mode is used to film people or objects, the distance from the person/object will be limited to 50 m. Beyond 50 m, ActiveTrack will be disabled."[size=14.6667px]

[size=14.6667px]How is the calculation done? knowing that these drones do not have rangefinders. I hope a moderator will be able to answer.

2023-1-30
Use props
Ikaro76
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-30 05:32
So we are talking about the same text.

Now the question we ask DJI, is it 50m,

Hi,
to get the distance i've reset the starting point to my actual position, started the active track on me and sent the drone away until the error message comes up.
There may be a gap of a few meters but it is still embarrassingly close and limited.
Before the firmware update it worked fine with no limitations

Since I mostly use the drone in follow mode shooting during ski mountaineering and bike riding, it has now lost much of its usefulness.
2023-1-30
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Ikaro76 Posted at 1-30 05:45
Hi,
to get the distance i've reset the starting point to my actual position, started the active track on me and sent the drone away until the error message comes up.
There may be a gap of a few meters but it is still embarrassingly close and limited.

I wouldn't be surprised if DJI implemented the feature a bit too quickly to get the C certification on time. Certification C  is +/- useless for drones below 250g.

There is nothing mentioned in the Mini3Pro changelog, the moderator says that no function limiting the drone to 50m has been added.

I asked you for your source because depending on where you look there are different versions.
The official text where is written the law is clear, it's 50m maximum from the position of the remote pilot. http://data.europa.eu/eli/reg_impl/2019/947/2020-06-06

From the DJI website:
When ActiveTrack Intelligent Flight Mode is used to film people or objects, the distance to the person/object will be limited to 50m. Beyond 50m, ActiveTrack will be disabled.
https://www.dji.com/mt/newsroom/ ... -for-mavic-3-series

Which makes a huge difference. DJI, wanting to apply the law is very good. Misinterpreting it is problematic.

I understand that the radio of the mini 3 pro is not equipped with localization. Maybe I'm wrong.

Let's wait to see what the moderator will answer to this.
2023-1-30
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Mini 3 can do localisation based on location just as all the others.  Its all software defined radios.
Transmission powers, frequency ranges etc are all localised.

A way to test this would be to use a mock location app on android to move the operator location and see if it still works or not.
2023-1-30
Use props
Ikaro76
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-30 06:03
I wouldn't be surprised if DJI implemented the feature a bit too quickly to get the C certification on time. Certification C  is +/- useless for drones below 250g.

There is nothing mentioned in the Mini3Pro changelog, the moderator says that no function limiting the drone to 50m has been added.

As far as I know, the limitation was declared and inserted in the "Mavic 3"  firmware because  they are certifying it C1.
But we are talking about two drones of different weights and categories.
The mavic mini 3 pro has no certification and is an harmless drone under 250 grams.
In any case, such a stringent update cannot be made without notifying users. It is a serious limitation.
I look forward to hearing the official voice from DJI
2023-1-30
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Ikaro76 Posted at 1-30 06:16
As far as I know, the limitation was declared and inserted in the "Mavic 3"  firmware because  they are certifying it C1.
But we are talking about two drones of different weights and categories.
The mavic mini 3 pro has no certification and is an harmless drone under 250 grams.

Yes but the mini 3 pro has the potential to get C0.

Requirements for a class C0 Unmanned aircraft system
(7) if equipped with a follow-me mode and when this function is on, be in a
range not exceeding 50 m from the remote pilot, and make it possible for
the remote pilot to regain control of the UA
http://data.europa.eu/eli/reg_del/2019/945/2020-08-09

2023-1-30
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

gnirtS Posted at 1-30 06:12
Mini 3 can do localisation based on location just as all the others.  Its all software defined radios.
Transmission powers, frequency ranges etc are all localised.

I don't understand what you mean.

The solution to test it is to move with the radio. If the drone follows you beyond 50m from the starting point, it is the position of the radio that serves as a reference. IF it is equipped with a GNSS receiver. I don't see how otherwise.

I don't understand your explanation of transmissions power, frequency ranges... can you tell us more.
2023-1-30
Use props
Ikaro76
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-30 07:09
Yes but the mini 3 pro has the potential to get C0.

Requirements for a class C0 Unmanned aircraft system

You are talking about future potential, but at the moment this is not the case and introducing such an impactful limitation without notifying users is extremely incorrect on the part of DJI
I demand explanations and resolution of the problem
2023-1-30
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Ikaro76 Posted at 1-30 07:14
You are talking about future potential, but at the moment this is not the case and introducing such an impactful limitation without notifying users is extremely incorrect on the part of DJI
I demand explanations and resolution of the problem

Future not really because DJI must first bring the drone into compliance before obtaining certification. I suspect that's what they are doing, otherwise I don't see what explains the cause of the problem you mention.

It's not impossible that the function went unnoticed in the update when it shouldn't have. By asking nicely they will probably provide an explanation or correct the problem.

But this part of the law is purely stupid. Still decided by people who have no idea what we're doing. I often use Active Track to film forestry machines. I lock the drone on it, which saves me from manual operating. After a while it quickly becomes boring in manual mode. The drone remains in VLOS but the machine is much further than 50m because the safety distance with a harvester for example is 90m. Bull... Law. Thank you EU.
2023-1-30
Use props
MHM
Second Officer

United States

Ikaro76 Posted at 1-30 02:44
are you flying CE or FCC mode?

I fly in FCC mode in the state of Hawaii
2023-1-30
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Another reason not to update if all is working as you want it. DJI will often slip these things in and now there is no going back.

DJI also interpret the law in various countries incorrectly. Further it is not for DJI to implement law it is up to the pilot of the drone.
2023-1-30
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-30 07:13
I don't understand what you mean.

The solution to test it is to move with the radio. If the drone follows you beyond 50m from the starting point, it is the position of the radio that serves as a reference. IF it is equipped with a GNSS receiver. I don't see how otherwise.

DJI localises restrictions based on the actual location of the drone.  By country and region.
Its possible it has a badly implemented EU only track limit (in the same way its got a US only RID) although unlikely.

Why bother mother the radio, just use a mock location to see if it works 50m away or not.

Its a bad take on the law if so, tracking modes are perfectly legal up to VLOS providing its not on the operator themselves (so they can see it).
2023-1-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 1-30 14:40
DJI localises restrictions based on the actual location of the drone.  By country and region.
Its possible it has a badly implemented EU only track limit (in the same way its got a US only RID) although unlikely.

In my opinion, the 50m is based on the RP being the one that is tracked not when its another subject as normal VLOS applies.

Therefore, we must ask ourselves can DJI ascertain the difference between the RP and another subject and that should be, yes they can because the RC has GPS, therefore the Mini 3 Pro should know if its tracking its own pilot.

If DJI cant or wont differentiate the difference then it will be a blanket 50m restriction, of which is stupid.
2023-1-30
Use props
Ikaro76
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Any feedback from Dji?
Thnx
2023-1-30
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-30 19:01
In my opinion, the 50m is based on the RP being the one that is tracked not when its another subject as normal VLOS applies.

Therefore, we must ask ourselves can DJI ascertain the difference between the RP and another subject and that should be, yes they can because the RC has GPS, therefore the Mini 3 Pro should know if its tracking its own pilot.

The RC has GPS but not all tablets do.  And you can disable it on phones and tablets.

And on android, spoof that location.

I'd go out and test this but wind is 22kts+ so cant get the mini up without risk of losing it to try.

Last time i checked the "object too far" warning basically happened when it could no longer work out what the object was from the background.  It wasn't a distance, it was subject separation.

I've certainly dont POV orbits and other box modes a lot further than 50m.
2023-1-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 1-31 04:44
The RC has GPS but not all tablets do.  And you can disable it on phones and tablets.

And on android, spoof that location.

I draw the line at about 25mph too, although 30mph for the P4P, had that puppy racing at about 70mph downwind before now lol

I have also done POV further than 50m before now
2023-1-31
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Thats the difference in the mini range.  In those winds, even in sport you see it struggling for 1-2m/sec into the wind.
My M2P will do 3x that.  The difference having more powerful motors, bigger props really help here.

I'll fly the M2P in those winds (with caution) without worry but not the mini.
2023-1-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 1-31 09:26
Thats the difference in the mini range.  In those winds, even in sport you see it struggling for 1-2m/sec into the wind.
My M2P will do 3x that.  The difference having more powerful motors, bigger props really help here.

It should be good in sports mode in those winds though, it will obviously slow some but its certainly able to hold its own at max of 9knots give or take depending on the gusting. I myself wouldnt worry in those windspeeds but then i would be fairly close to the home point anyway, i certainly wouldn't be range testing lol but it wouldn't stop me from sending it up for some photos.

Side note, your M2P max speed is the same as my P4P but if yours is anything like the Mavic Pro, then it will be restricted. i.e. my mates MP cannot reach the speeds my P4P can with a decent tailwind, his stops at his max sports mode speed of 40mph where as my p4p's record as 70mph, although, now that I've lost some flights in airdata due to losing the oldest flights, its top speed is only showing as 65mph

Even though the P4P max speed is 49mph, i still draw the line at about 30mph gusts as its no longer fun at that point, max speed tests aside, that part is fun and always a must lol but general flying for shots not so much, the anxiety levels are raised for sure...
2023-1-31
Use props
Ikaro76
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-29 18:55

Dear Dji and kind administrators, I'm still waiting for your feedback on how to solve the problem and be able to regain possession of the functionality of my drone purchased specifically for active track functions, now severely limited without justification.
I look forward to it
Thank you
2023-2-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Ikaro76. Thank you for the details. Have you tried following other subjects like cars to see if there's any difference? The DJI Mini 3 Pro ActiveTrack will work under these conditions regardless of the Region (except if there's a specific law not allowing the distances mentioned below):

If a person is set as a tracking subject, the distance between the aircraft and the subject should be 4 to 20 m, and the altitude is 2 to 20 m. (Note: The recommended distance is 5 to 10 m and the recommended altitude is 2 to 10 m.)

If a vehicle/boat is set as a tracking subject, the distance between the aircraft and the subject should be 6 to 100 m, and the altitude is 6 to 100 m. (Note: The recommended distance is 20 to 50 m and the recommended altitude is 10 to 50 m.)

If the aircraft starts to follow the subject, but the distance between the aircraft and the target is not in the range of the abovementioned distance or altitude, the aircraft will automatically fly into the supporting range. If the aircraft flies within the range of recommended distance and altitude, you will have a better experience of tracking.

Hope this helps. We are also verifying with our relevant team if it has something to do with the image transmission mode. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-2-1
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-31 19:55
It should be good in sports mode in those winds though, it will obviously slow some but its certainly able to hold its own at max of 9knots give or take depending on the gusting. I myself wouldnt worry in those windspeeds but then i would be fairly close to the home point anyway, i certainly wouldn't be range testing lol but it wouldn't stop me from sending it up for some photos.

Side note, your M2P max speed is the same as my P4P but if yours is anything like the Mavic Pro, then it will be restricted. i.e. my mates MP cannot reach the speeds my P4P can with a decent tailwind, his stops at his max sports mode speed of 40mph where as my p4p's record as 70mph, although, now that I've lost some flights in airdata due to losing the oldest flights, its top speed is only showing as 65mph :'(

Its more a case of it being able to move into the wind than holding its own.
The Mini struggles in higher speeds whereas the Mavic 2 with its more powerful motors and bigger props can do so.

Ive flown the mini in 20-30 kt winds several times, it complains but it hovers stable.  Occasionally the gimbal gets hit by a gust and moves sideways but thats it.

Ive switched tripod mode to ATTI mode on my Mavic 2 so essentially have no GPS speed limitation.  Flying with the wind can easily yield 60mph+ in that mode.
2023-2-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2-1 04:48
Its more a case of it being able to move into the wind than holding its own.
The Mini struggles in higher speeds whereas the Mavic 2 with its more powerful motors and bigger props can do so.

Thats prob why my mates mp cannot keep up as he cannot manually use ATTI mode
2023-2-1
Use props
Ikaro76
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-1 03:37
Hi, Ikaro76. Thank you for the details. Have you tried following other subjects like cars to see if there's any difference? The DJI Mini 3 Pro ActiveTrack will work under these conditions regardless of the Region (except if there's a specific law not allowing the distances mentioned below):

If a person is set as a tracking subject, the distance between the aircraft and the subject should be 4 to 20 m, and the altitude is 2 to 20 m. (Note: The recommended distance is 5 to 10 m and the recommended altitude is 2 to 10 m.)

Thnx Gamora for your reply.
Today I tried the active track on a car and although I can't measure the distance because the app marks the distance from the home point, but the height reaches a maximum of 36 meters ... well below the maximum 100 meters and also below the 50m

It seems that the whole active track system has been "capped"
any hint?
2023-2-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Ikaro76 Posted at 2-1 08:46
Today I tried the active track on a car and although I can't measure the distance because the app marks the distance from the home point, but the height reaches a maximum of 36 meters ... well below the maximum 100 meters and also below the 50m

Hi, Ikaro76. Thank you for the reply and for providing additional information. I believe you're still within the recommended altitude mentioned above but if you think that there's an issue you may provide us with the following details for analysis:

If you're using it with DJI RC:
1. DJI RC Logs. (Please connect your DJI RC to the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone Series) software and export the logs).
2. App version.
4. Aircraft log. (Please connect your drone to DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone Series) software and then export the log).
5. Relative Screen video.

Once completed, kindly upload it to the link that I will provide to you via PM. Thank you for your kind understanding and support.
2023-2-4
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

Ikaro76 Posted at 2-1 08:46
Today I tried the active track on a car and although I can't measure the distance because the app marks the distance from the home point, but the height reaches a maximum of 36 meters ... well below the maximum 100 meters and also below the 50m

Did you check if the "beginner mode" isn't active? I think it limits distances away from you and other functionalities. It could have been switched on again after FW update.
2023-2-8
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

Arnor Posted at 2-8 22:34
Did you check if the "beginner mode" isn't active? I think it limits distances away from you and other functionalities. It could have been switched on again after FW update.

ps:
"How do I turn off beginner mode on DJI fly app?
Go to CAMERA page, then click MODE (top left just along from HOME icon) and that takes you to MC settings. You should see a slider for beginner mode. Yeah, you can turn it off in the app. There's a slider you just tap and move to the left."
2023-2-8
Use props
Ikaro76
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Arnor Posted at 2-8 22:34
Did you check if the "beginner mode" isn't active? I think it limits distances away from you and other functionalities. It could have been switched on again after FW update.

sure. i'm not in beginner mode.
2023-2-9
Use props
Bowcaps
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2988432 ft
  • >>>
Colombia

We have spent a lot of time being told and legislation written to the effect, that we should fly further away from people, now at a time drones are being fitted with tele lenses we are being told we need to fly closer ( if tracking ). Personally further away with a tele lens sounds better from a safety standpoint.

I don’t think this is necessarily a firmware issue, but a couple of weeks back I was filming a warship enter harbour (I had all the necessary permissions). I picked it up about a km from the harbour entrance and filmed it all the way to its berth. When it came to leave, I decided to use the mini 3 pro, but I struggled to engage active track for a boat, and it was only as it was crossing the harbour entrance (clearer space) active track engaged but as I moved further away, about 70m it disengaged the active track. I quickly changed to an Air2s and had no issues. I’ll give it another try in a couple of weeks, but by then I’m hoping the Air 3 will be the duty drone.
2023-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules