Should I be worried about this? Battery Low Cell Voltage!
992 10 2023-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

I checked the flight logs from yesterday's flight and noticed that at 0m 50sec into the flight, the battery cell voltages went as low as 3.3V per cell, and the battery percentage was 90%, so it doesn't make sense.

Is it something to worry about? Because as soon as one of the cells reaches 3.0V, the drone goes down, right?

Maybe someone who knows a bit more about batteries could guide me on how to avoid this.

Here's the log:

https://app.airdata.com/share/utuHUE

2023-1-30
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

The voltage drops when the motors are heavily loaded. It's normal.

Try blowing through a barely open pipe, open it suddenly, the sudden increase in flow will drop the pressure, close it, the pressure will become stable again.
It's the same with a battery.
2023-1-30
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

Airdata won't show me the wind map of your flight but I did find one of my own flights that had similar behavior. In my case, the average wind speed of the flight was around 2 or 3mph. At the point that the voltage dipped, there was a wind gust of almost 11mph. Once the gust ended, the voltages normalized like yours did.

My guess would be that there was a rush of wind or a downdraft that your Air 2 had to fight for a few seconds.
2023-1-30
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

blue_canyon21 Posted at 1-30 06:28
Airdata won't show me the wind map of your flight but I did find one of my own flights that had similar behavior. In my case, the average wind speed of the flight was around 2 or 3mph. At the point that the voltage dipped, there was a wind gust of almost 11mph. Once the gust ended, the voltages normalized like yours did.

My guess would be that there was a rush of wind or a downdraft that your Air 2 had to fight for a few seconds.

A gust of wind is a possible explanation yes, i agree. In any case what is certain is that something greatly solicited the engines at that time.
AD.JPG
2023-1-30
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

It shows wind 31,9 km/h so it is (very likely) heavy load as a reaction on strong wind gust. There are "Aircraft max power load reached." and "Strong wind warning." notices. Be aware of higher power demand and consumption in windy conditions. Try to use freshly recharged battery...
2023-1-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Yaros,

Had a look at your battery values, see my chart of your data

Only shortly after takeoff the 3 cells dropped to approx 3.3.
Don`t know why...  no big power demands by you....

But rest of the flight nice oke values.

At 3 volt drone will not fall out of the sky, lower than 3 volts autolanding is started.Seen values below 2.8 and still flying....

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2023-1-30
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

JJB* Posted at 1-30 12:13
Hi Yaros,

Had a look at your battery values, see my chart of your data

This has been occurring with my other batteries as well. Maybe it is because I have been constantly flying here in Mallorca, very, very much humidity, so the batteries started to drop their performance.

Is the auto landing the same kind of auto landing as when your battery percentage goes below 10%? Because I've heard that it is a bit more drastic.
2023-1-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yaros1 Posted at 1-30 12:19
This has been occurring with my other batteries as well. Maybe it is because I have been constantly flying here in Mallorca, very, very much humidity, so the batteries started to drop their performance.

Is the auto landing the same kind of auto landing as when your battery percentage goes below 10%? Because I've heard that it is a bit more drastic.

it is the same way of landing.

2023-1-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Yaros1. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. May we confirm if there's an accident with the aircraft? Can you please provide us with the flight records and logs for further checking? I will send you a PM for the link. Thank you.
2023-1-31
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Spain

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-31 21:38
Hi, Yaros1. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. May we confirm if there's an accident with the aircraft? Can you please provide us with the flight records and logs for further checking? I will send you a PM for the link. Thank you.

Hi, thanks for reaching out.
The current aircraft has not been in an accident yet. The Mavic Air 2 I'm flying now is a replacement I got by the Care Refresh Express program after I crashed my previous Mavic Air 2.
However, the batteries I'm using are from the old drone, they were manufactured in December 2020 and purchased in August 2021.

I attached some logs to the folder you provided in the PM. There are 3 logs, one from the same flight that is described and shown in this thread, and other logs from previous flights which also seem to have the same issue, the battery cell voltage drops at the beginning of the flight without any reason, no real current draw at that time, then the battery heats up a bit and the issue goes away, it seems.
2023-2-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Yaros1 Posted at 2-1 03:39
Hi, thanks for reaching out.
The current aircraft has not been in an accident yet. The Mavic Air 2 I'm flying now is a replacement I got by the Care Refresh Express program after I crashed my previous Mavic Air 2.
However, the batteries I'm using are from the old drone, they were manufactured in December 2020 and purchased in August 2021.

Hi, Yaros1. Thank you for the logs, we now received feedback from our relevant team. Based on the logs, it is normal. Please use the aircraft as usual with the DJI Fly App, if the App did not give any abnormal battery prompt then that means the battery is in normal status and the battery voltage is in a normal range. Please free to use it.
2023-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules