DJI Go APP Crashing Bug (repeatable)
12878 26 2015-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dion.lazerlight
lvl.1

United Kingdom

OK, DJI Go app on android has a repeatable bug. I don't know what circumstances cause it but i do know after researching that others have had the error. This is what my investigation has revealed.

The app works fine, flights are fine, camera view is fine, all works well. BUT if you start video recording, when you stop recording again the app will crash, not only that, after the above it will no longer start up again, any attempt to start the app after the above simply results in the message "Unfortunately, DJI GO has stopped."  I have found no way to recover after this has happened, uninstalling/reinstalling the app still results in a crash at startup of app, clearing data/cache also does not fix it. The device I'm using is a hudl2 android tablet. I specifically bought it just for use with the phantom. I did a factory reset on the tablet and installed dji go again. This worked ok again until starting and stopping a video recording. Again this resulted in the software crashing and again it will no longer even start up, it just crashes on loading screen.
2015-8-18
Use props
dion.lazerlight
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Following up on this, there is obviously 'something' left behind by the DJI Go app when it is simply uninstalled as the crash still occurs on startup (the splash screen)  factory resetting the tablet allowed the software to run again, so anyone got any theories?

I'm getting somewhere with this but i could really use some feedback from someone very familiar with the app, if i record video, it stores the video on the camera sd card but ALSO on the tablet, now i've discovered that if i delete the video stored on the tablet, the app will start again without crashing, so, is there a setting anywhere to stop the dji app saving video to the tablet?
2015-8-18
Use props
dion.lazerlight
lvl.1

United Kingdom

****CAUSE FOUND****

It is definitely the symptoms above causing the repeatable crashing, if you go into settings and set "cache locally when recording"  to OFF, you no longer get the crash, so it is DEFINITELY a bug in the DJI Go app when it tries to access locally cached video files.  I wonder if anyone at DJI takes notice of this stuff?
2015-8-18
Use props
Nemmo
lvl.2

Russia

Thanks I'll try it tonight.
2015-8-18
Use props
Amber
New

United Kingdom

You need to remove the Pilot App folder from your tablet/smartphone then reinstall the Go App.
Download ES file explorer from the play store and use it to locate the DJI folder, delete it and then reinstall the DJI GO app.
I also turned off local caching inside the GO APP and I have no issue at all now with the GO App.
2015-8-19
Use props
dion.lazerlight
lvl.1

United Kingdom

You do not need to delete ANY folders or even uninstall  DJI Go.  It is video files that are causing the app to crash, I'm going to provide a step by step.

1) Install a file manager app such as "smart file manage" from the google android store.

2) Launch the app and select "ROOT" at the top

3) From the list that appears select "SDCARD" and then select "DJI"

4) When in the DJI folder select "dji.pilot" and then "DJI_RECORD"

5) In the DJI_RECORD folder delete all contents.

6)  All done so go 'home' back to your tablet desktop.

7) Connect up and launch the DJI Go app, go into settings and disable "cache locally when recording".

The app will no longer lock up on opening and you can now record video without crashing the app.
2015-8-19
Use props
georgeh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 168451 ft
Cyprus

dion.lazerlight Posted at 2015-8-19 05:46
****CAUSE FOUND****

It is definitely the symptoms above causing the repeatable crashing, if you go  ...

I am using an ASUS MeMo 7 Tablet. Had severe problem with DJI GO on my Phantom 3 PRO. The program was crashing.
After disabling the "Cache locally when recording" the problem was solved.
Hope that DJI solves this problem soon.  
2015-8-20
Use props
Nemmo
lvl.2

Russia

**TESTING** DJI GO 2.0.2(46)
Nvidia Shield! I disable most google apps like GOOGLE PLAY, GOOGLE MUSIC, FOTOES,deinstall GOOGLE CHROME  and so any defaut apps in my device which can be delete. Only Google MAPS I didn't stop and not downgrade Google Services to default
                         l reduce background process to 2
                         I stop in DJI GO Local video Cash & clear the cash
                         I setup CPU to MAX PERFORMANCE
                         I switch the "Plane Mode" in device
l have test on a table without props. During 1 hour l start and stop motors,put some sticks control to aircraft, change the location of the aircraft. close  the craft to reduce GPS ability , start video recording and stop it, switch OFF RC  and start it again.
So I couldn't got message" DJI DO unfortunatly made an Error"or e t.c ( that errors what i've seen during my previous flights) Only two times i've seen Disconected but in a second app start up again. Disconect was after I'll start or stop video recording. Not every time but a few(2times)
So now I must have a real flights. Hope I can fix)). Try! May be it will be usefull to You.
2015-8-20
Use props
damaddog
lvl.1
United States

georgeh@gizet.c Posted at 2015-8-21 05:29
I am using an ASUS MeMo 7 Tablet. Had severe problem with DJI GO on my Phantom 3 PRO. The program  ...

I purchased the same ASUS MeMo 7 Tablet and the app kept crashing on me.  I had been using my Samsung 6 phone with no problems.  I just assumed it was the tablet not working with the app.  I returned the tablet and got a Samsung Tab 4 and everything works fine.  Wish I would have know about this issue earlier, could have saved me $50.  Oh well the Tab is much better anyway.

But thanks for the information.
2015-8-21
Use props
DIONDRONE
lvl.1

United Kingdom

***MORE INFO***

Occasionally if you are recording video and you hit the 2gb limit on file size, you will get a "disconnected"  error, I think it must be as certain devices try and start a new file, I've found most of the time this one recovers itself after about 15 seconds, if not, stopping and starting video record has re-established connection for me.
2015-8-22
Use props
amckim2084
lvl.1
Flight distance : 606083 ft
United States

dion.lazerlight Posted at 2015-8-18 17:46
****CAUSE FOUND****

It is definitely the symptoms above causing the repeatable crashing, if you go  ...

This post here saved my life!!! Thank you so much. This started happening to me yesterday. I was out all day with a grounded P3S trying to figure out why the app kept crashing. It didn't do that before and I recently had an app update so I thought it was a bad update.  I tried this out and now I can record with no crashes. Thank you!!!!
2015-10-1
Use props
Zlatko
New

Croatia

dion.lazerlight Posted at 2015-8-19 12:41
You do not need to delete ANY folders or even uninstall  DJI Go.  It is video files that are causing ...

I had the same issue. This resolved it. Thank you!
2015-10-8
Use props
ianrevans
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18317 ft
United Kingdom

The DJI Go App crashes when you try to send video from the aircraft to the connected tablet.

I am running the Phantom 3 Professional onto an Acer Iconia Tab8.

The way to stop it crashing is to turn off video cache on the tablet, and also never attempt to download a video from the aircraft sd card to the tablet.

If you do get a crash you have to delete the app AND delete the entire DJI Go File from the tablet (This will be left behind) then re install the app.

I hope DJI will come up with a fix for this bug ASAP.
2015-11-11
Use props
larsberne
lvl.1

Sweden

dion.lazerlight Posted at 2015-8-19 11:41
You do not need to delete ANY folders or even uninstall  DJI Go.  It is video files that are causing ...

Thank you! It works!
2016-1-6
Use props
limberfamily
New

United States

Confirmed on HP Slate 7 Plus (running Android 4.2.2) and on a Samsung Galaxy 2 (running Android 4.1) DJI GO app crashes when camera recording is enabled - and the 'workaround' works - set "cache locally when recording" to OFF.

Has anyone reported this 'bug' to DJI support?
2016-1-7
Use props
mr.aanet
lvl.1
Australia

limberfamily Posted at 2016-1-8 03:47
Confirmed on HP Slate 7 Plus (running Android 4.2.2) and on a Samsung Galaxy 2 (running Android 4.1) ...

Hi All

1st post here , is there anyway to stop the app's crashing and therefore stopping the recording ?
Been reading this thread with interest but it dont appear that there is a fix for it yet
Cheers Marty
2016-1-15
Use props
mr.aanet
lvl.1
Australia

dion.lazerlight Posted at 2015-8-19 21:41

I donwloaded the app but could not find the DJI folder anywhere
The more less only picked up whats on the phone and not whats on the card in the drone

Any more clues ?

tnx
2016-1-15
Use props
mr.aanet
lvl.1
Australia

mr.aanet Posted at 2016-1-16 10:05
I donwloaded the app but could not find the DJI folder anywhere
The more less only picked up what ...

So today I uninstalled DJI Go and this time used the QR code to download the app after this everything started to work just fine until you hit the record button
I had also bought another app for the DJi P3 and now its working great DJI Ultimate Flight is the app , didnt work at first but after I changed the channels to Auto it now works and I'm happy to be flying

Cheers Marty
2016-1-15
Use props
gonzalozuniga
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8646962 ft
  • >>>
Chile

im having a similar issue but when i try to change the video settings. the app get stuck and then crash. install a new app, restore my iphone 5s and my ipad mini 2 also. a week ago everything works fine but now i cant change the video settings
2016-2-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

gonzalozuniga@m Posted at 2016-3-1 04:17
im having a similar issue but when i try to change the video settings. the app get stuck and then cr ...

Did the soft reset not work?
Since the device you borrowed worked fine then you know it your phone and iPad.
I know it may be a pain, but what about saving all your data and doing a factory reset on your devices?
Also, your trying this when the aircraft is on correct?
2016-2-29
Use props
mellebl1
lvl.1

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-1 13:03
Since the device you borrowed worked fine then you know it your phone ...

Having the same problem using an Ipad Mini 2. Crashes consistently when  I change the Video Size...Freezes then Crashes. Soft reset does not help. Thanks
2016-3-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

mellebl1 Posted at 2016-3-7 01:56
Having the same problem using an Ipad Mini 2. Crashes consistently when  I change the Video Size.. ...

I don't know what to say, your friends device worked fine.
Can you do a factory reset on your device and see if that works?
2016-3-6
Use props
jrcampen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49639 ft
Malaysia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-1 13:03
Since the device you borrowed worked fine then you know it your phone ...
this issue is caused by the limited processing power of these Apple devices.  You will notice at the beginning it work fine and then you will notice you device gets really hot and over heats. This is when the video processing will hang and can also hang the whole device.  The data it has to process is just too much for them and they can’t dissipate the heat fast enough and so the overheat protection kicks in and hangs it until it cools down. The iPad 3 has a better processor and seems to work better, iPhone 6 is ok and better than iPone 5.  No issues at all on my Samsung's.

For those devices that over heat its best to not use the video live feed and just use the map mode. We do this and just plug in and use goggles or a HDMI monitor
2016-4-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jrcampen@gmail. Posted at 2016-4-13 06:24
this issue is caused by the limited processing power of these Apple devices.  You will notice at the ...

Ok, you are free to use the HDMI out for whatever you like.
I have an older iPad Air and it works great.
2016-4-12
Use props
fans1c5eaf4f
New

Sweden

dion.lazerlight Posted at 2015-8-18 13:46
****CAUSE FOUND****

It is definitely the symptoms above causing the repeatable crashing, if you go into settings and set "cache locally when recording"  to OFF, you no longer get the crash, so it is DEFINITELY a bug in the DJI Go app when it tries to access locally cached video files.  I wonder if anyone at DJI takes notice of this stuff?

I can´t even get in to the DJI GO 4 app today. Yesterday worked though.........anyone else?
2017-7-27
Use props
waxahachie tim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47169 ft
United States

fans1c5eaf4f Posted at 2017-7-27 09:42
I can´t even get in to the DJI GO 4 app today. Yesterday worked though.........anyone else?

I get "unfortunately DJI Go Stopped" on launch. No way to turn off Video cache.
2018-1-5
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try,  clearing your ram memory, then open the app
2018-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now