Abrupt Ascending For No Reason
1689 19 2023-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1922920 ft
Canada

I'm going to preface this by saying I've crashed probably a dozen times at this point, somehow avoiding notable damage each time.

Today went for a flight, and out of no where the drone suddenly shoots up from 217 feet to 289. Then it crept up to 334, then shot up to 423! I have it set to stay below 398. Not a lick of wind to be had at ground level, and it did this five or six times in my 12 minute flight. Just started going up unless I told it to come down. Only seemed to happen when I was flying forward. I swear, it went up faster than I've ever seen it move. Maybe there's some crazy wind going on at 300'?

I guess it's time for a visit to DJI. I full expect this is a result of one of my recent crashes. Anyone else ever had this happen?
2023-1-31
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HI,

Best to get help/advice is to share your flightlog.

use this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploaded link on here

cheers
JJB
2023-1-31
Use props
fansb4f50ec1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13897156 ft
Canada

Interesting.  I just had the same thing happen a couple of days ago..  Without providing any 'up' stick, my Air 2S rose from 120 metres.  It happened a few times over the course of a single flight - and I haven't been able to reproduce on subsequent flights.  I did notice on a recent separate occurrence that while hovering over the nearby lake (maybe 100 metre up), the visual indicator for the down sensor lit up red on my RC Pro, and the drone rose a bit.  At the time, I thought maybe a bird had flown below the drone but now suspect it was something else.
2023-1-31
Use props
fansb4f50ec1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13897156 ft
Canada

fansb4f50ec1 Posted at 1-31 13:10
Interesting.  I just had the same thing happen a couple of days ago..  Without providing any 'up' stick, my Air 2S rose from 120 metres.  It happened a few times over the course of a single flight - and I haven't been able to reproduce on subsequent flights.  I did notice on a recent separate occurrence that while hovering over the nearby lake (maybe 100 metre up), the visual indicator for the down sensor lit up red on my RC Pro, and the drone rose a bit.  At the time, I thought maybe a bird had flown below the drone but now suspect it was something else.

Here is my flight log.  https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/6LFNKKSVJ2E0JADM4Z1E/

There was 22 satelites for this flight.  The drone rose from 400 feet up to 490 feet from around 3:30 to 4:41 (particularly after 4:07).  It's actually weirder than I thought -- the control input during that time was either neutral or "down stick", not up.  Happy to hear any explanation or theories as to what happened!
2023-1-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Sky Biscuit. Thank you for reaching out, and we're sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience. May we ask if there are any specific error messages prompted during the last flight? And since the drone encountered multiple crashes, we recommend you send it back for a proper diagnosis. You can request a Data Analysis to determine the cause of the said behavior. If you decide to send it, you may visit this link and submit an Online Repair Application. Please note that warranty service can be applied depending on the damage assessment result and the warranty status. You may also contact our Customer Support at (support.dji.com) for more details. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day!
2023-1-31
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansb4f50ec1 Posted at 1-31 15:48
Here is my flight log.  https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/6LFNKKSVJ2E0JADM4Z1E/

There was 22 satelites for this flight.  The drone rose from 400 feet up to 490 feet from around 3:30 to 4:41 (particularly after 4:07).  It's actually weirder than I thought -- the control input during that time was either neutral or "down stick", not up.  Happy to hear any explanation or theories as to what happened!

I think you will find that it was a downward sensor issue, something was making it think there was something below the drone and it was making it go higher, i think it was a nighttime flight, also, was it snowing or foggy that evening as this could be a factor.
2023-1-31
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansb4f50ec1 Posted at 1-31 15:48

Had a look at your flightdata, see my chart of your data

Many same warnings :
"Ambient light too low. Vision system and obstacle sensing unavailable. Fly with caution"

With full forward stick your Mavic Air2S is climbing without RC up input.
Speed is reducing and increasing few times, this could indicate that the OA sensors is seeing 'false' obstacles.
Seeing an obstacle will reduce speed, climb and go forward again to the old speed, and again and again.
But speed is also reduced full forward stick AND applying yaw input, this is also seen in your log (normal behaviour)
So hard to say wich one (or both) is causing the speed to drop a bit.And if your OA setting was set to "Brake", than drone should only brake at an obstacle and not climb.

Bottom sensor height did not measure any height, so this is not the cause of this unintented climbing. [ 10.9 is the last recorded height at 4.8 seconds in flight ]

Only strange value is that while climbing the vertical speed shows sometimes a negative number. (normally vertical speed follows the ascend or descend move)

I would suggest to calibrate the IMU * and fly again in normal day light, see if this happens again.

*First RTH height steady while vertical speed shows 0.2 up ! normally steady height flying = zero vertical speed
Second RTH steady height but vertical speed show minus values! up to 1.6 !

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2023-2-1
Use props
Snoopy70
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4762470 ft
Canada

What was the outside temperature? Mine did that in the past when flying in -20C
2023-2-1
Use props
the_hefay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 358005 ft
United States

Ditto on the outside temp. It would interesting to know.
2023-2-1
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

the_hefay Posted at 2-1 10:31
Ditto on the outside temp. It would interesting to know.

All indications point to around -10ºC

EDITED to the correct temp, i got the wrong date :/
2023-2-1
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

JJB* Posted at 1-31 13:01
HI,

Best to get help/advice is to share your flightlog.

Would that include the geographic location I flew in? I'm sure the log would help, but I'm hesitant to post where I live. ^^;
2023-2-2
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

fansb4f50ec1 Posted at 1-31 13:10
Interesting.  I just had the same thing happen a couple of days ago..  Without providing any 'up' stick, my Air 2S rose from 120 metres.  It happened a few times over the course of a single flight - and I haven't been able to reproduce on subsequent flights.  I did notice on a recent separate occurrence that while hovering over the nearby lake (maybe 100 metre up), the visual indicator for the down sensor lit up red on my RC Pro, and the drone rose a bit.  At the time, I thought maybe a bird had flown below the drone but now suspect it was something else.

Oh yeah? I couldn't find anyone else mentioning this happening. I've flown twice since then and it didn't happen again.
2023-2-2
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 1-31 20:03
Hi, Sky Biscuit. Thank you for reaching out, and we're sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience. May we ask if there are any specific error messages prompted during the last flight? And since the drone encountered multiple crashes, we recommend you send it back for a proper diagnosis. You can request a Data Analysis to determine the cause of the said behavior. If you decide to send it, you may visit this link and submit an Online Repair Application. Please note that warranty service can be applied depending on the damage assessment result and the warranty status. You may also contact our Customer Support at (support.dji.com) for more details. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day!

Thanks for the information! There were no error messages at all that flight.
2023-2-2
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

Snoopy70 Posted at 2-1 04:56
What was the outside temperature? Mine did that in the past when flying in -20C

That's interesting. If I remember right, it was something like -5 or -10? I've definitely flown in colder temperatures then that before though.
2023-2-2
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

the_hefay Posted at 2-1 10:31
Ditto on the outside temp. It would interesting to know.

It was a around -5 or -10 Celsius.
2023-2-2
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sky Biscuit Posted at 2-2 17:58
It was a around -5 or -10 Celsius.

Apologies, i got the wrong date, it was about -10C at that date and time.
2023-2-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Sky Biscuit Posted at 2-2 17:55
Thanks for the information! There were no error messages at all that flight.

You are most welcome. Please contact us back if you need further assistance. Thank you.
2023-2-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sky Biscuit Posted at 2-2 17:51
Would that include the geographic location I flew in? I'm sure the log would help, but I'm hesitant to post where I live. ^^;

Yes, geo position can be seen in the log.

If you like  PM me the link   or sent your flightlog to JJBsoftware@gmail.com
I report back in private to you.

Cheers
JJB [ FRAP ]
2023-2-3
Use props
Snoopy70
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4762470 ft
Canada

Sky Biscuit Posted at 2-2 17:53
Oh yeah? I couldn't find anyone else mentioning this happening. I've flown twice since then and it didn't happen again.

See my post from last year.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=257627
2023-2-3
Use props
Sky Biscuit
lvl.2
Canada

JJB* Posted at 2-3 00:25
Yes, geo position can be seen in the log.

If you like  PM me the link   or sent your flightlog to

Thanks! That would be a big help. I'm currently having problems connecting my phone to my computer, but I will send that over when I can.
2023-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules