How to download offline maps onto RC Pro for future location?
2651 17 2023-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_PvNSuz4JK8bY
lvl.2
United States

How can I download offline maps at home onto RC Pro, before I am departing for a location across the world? The location does not have internet, so everything must be downloaded and configured and ready while at home.  Flying Mavic 3.

I am talking about large areas, e.g. size of a country, or ideally an entire continent or the world.  

The default offline map function only saves a tiny area, unusable for my purposes.
2023-1-31
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I haven't used it yet, but maybe you'll give it a try:
In Google Maps you can download offline maps of any size and of course save them.  
But you probably have to install the Google Map app first...
2023-1-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Under profile you can download maps,  but you are very limited to the size you can download at a time,  there are no other options.
2023-2-1
Use props
dreamtuner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068376 ft
Bangladesh

There is a way but it is temporary, meaning you will lose the map once you restart the Fly app.
2023-2-1
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

frankymusik Posted at 1-31 23:01
I haven't used it yet, but maybe you'll give it a try:
In Google Maps you can download offline maps of any size and of course save them.  
But you probably have to install the Google Map app first...
2023-2-1
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

... see above, please.
2023-2-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With the latest firmware version of the DJI RC Pro, it added support for offline maps. Go to Profile > Offline Maps to download maps of your planned flight destinations and have the map displayed even when there is no network connection. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-2-1
Use props
Cibachrome
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-1 23:03
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With the latest firmware version of the DJI RC Pro, it added support for offline maps. Go to Profile > Offline Maps to download maps of your planned flight destinations and have the map displayed even when there is no network connection. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.

I have tried downloading maps multiple times on my RC Pro and DJI should be shamed of themselves for the sorry excuse of a solution they've come up with. It is convoluted at best. After several attempts I've given up on it because it never downloads what I want. We should be able to just simply download a region using check-boxes. But that would make sense so we'll probably never get that option.
2023-4-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Cibachrome Posted at 4-1 17:01
I have tried downloading maps multiple times on my RC Pro and DJI should be shamed of themselves for the sorry excuse of a solution they've come up with. It is convoluted at best. After several attempts I've given up on it because it never downloads what I want. We should be able to just simply download a region using check-boxes. But that would make sense so we'll probably never get that option.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please provide us a screen recording showing the issue when downloading the Offline maps on your DJI RC Pro? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-4-3
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-3 04:45
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please provide us a screen recording showing the issue when downloading the Offline maps on your DJI RC Pro? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

@DJI Paladin,

Just try to use the feature.  It is a mess at best.   I would not suggest it as a solution.  It is more like a prescription to give yourself a headache.  Specifically, a migraine.   Very poorly implemented idea.
2023-4-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

TonyPHX Posted at 4-3 17:43
@DJI Paladin,

Just try to use the feature.  It is a mess at best.   I would not suggest it as a solution.  It is more like a prescription to give yourself a headache.  Specifically, a migraine.   Very poorly implemented idea.

We appreciate your feedback and I understand your point, Tony. We will coordinate this with our relevant team. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-4-4
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-4 02:43
We appreciate your feedback and I understand your point, Tony. We will coordinate this with our relevant team. Thank you for your understanding.

Appreciate it.  Let me give you a specific example.  Let's say I am taking the CIne out for a day of photography.  Further let's say I  know I will be visiting a small area off on old highway - take Route 66 for example.  Imagine a 30 mile strip and you just want to quickly pre-cache a long 30 mile run of maps.  That should talk four clicks and be done in a minute. (Just like offline maps in Google maps for example).

Now, go to do that on your RC or RC Pro.... good luck.  That is a 30 minute exercise.

2023-4-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

TonyPHX Posted at 4-5 06:33
Appreciate it.  Let me give you a specific example.  Let's say I am taking the CIne out for a day of photography.  Further let's say I  know I will be visiting a small area off on old highway - take Route 66 for example.  Imagine a 30 mile strip and you just want to quickly pre-cache a long 30 mile run of maps.  That should talk four clicks and be done in a minute. (Just like offline maps in Google maps for example).

Now, go to do that on your RC or RC Pro.... good luck.  That is a 30 minute exercise.

Thank you for this input, Tony. I will surely take note of this. We appreciate your understanding on this matter. Have a nice day ahead.
2023-4-6
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

Cibachrome Posted at 4-1 17:01
I have tried downloading maps multiple times on my RC Pro and DJI should be shamed of themselves for the sorry excuse of a solution they've come up with. It is convoluted at best. After several attempts I've given up on it because it never downloads what I want. We should be able to just simply download a region using check-boxes. But that would make sense so we'll probably never get that option.

I agree.  Hopefully they will improve/fix it.  But it can be done.  It took me probably 2 hours of trial and error...and frustration to figure out how to get large detailed maps.  Once you know how to do it, it's not bad.  But yeah, it's extremely frustrating.  You have to completely start over once it starts getting wonky.  I would like to see someone at DJI make an instructional video and post in on Youtube.  

Having said that, I'm glad they added the ability to download offline maps, but they've had enough time to issue an update to fix it.
2023-4-6
Use props
Bronto-Yoda
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22070 ft
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-1 23:03

How do I increase the size area to download. The maximum area I can get seems to be about 1000m wide and 3mb. I here of people having some downloads of 50 to 100mb. I would like to download a larger area around my locations I regularly go to.
2023-9-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Bronto-Yoda Posted at 9-17 20:32
How do I increase the size area to download. The maximum area I can get seems to be about 1000m wide and 3mb. I here of people having some downloads of 50 to 100mb. I would like to download a larger area around my locations I regularly go to.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The area for downloading offline maps is limited to a certain extent. You need to zoom in and out of the specified frame selection range to download the map. If the frame selection range is larger, the map information that can be downloaded will be rougher; and if the frame selection range is smaller, the finer the map that can be downloaded. We don't have an option to download a large map size. We will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our relevant team for attention. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-9-18
Use props
Moonglow
lvl.1
Flight distance : 78881 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2023-9-18 02:46
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The area for downloading offline maps is limited to a certain extent. You need to zoom in and out of the specified frame selection range to download the map. If the frame selection range is larger, the map information that can be downloaded will be rougher; and if the frame selection range is smaller, the finer the map that can be downloaded. We don't have an option to download a large map size. We will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our relevant team for attention. Thank you for your valued support.

Hi - Is there still no way to download offline maps larger then 3 Mb with he RC Pro controller?  I have tried with different SD Cards/WiFi/HotSpot.  Thank You
2-5 20:09
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Moonglow Posted at 2-5 20:09
Hi - Is there still no way to download offline maps larger then 3 Mb with he RC Pro controller?  I have tried with different SD Cards/WiFi/HotSpot.  Thank You

Hi there. We're sorry if this has been requested in the past but has not been implemented yet. We will continue to let such feedback reach the designated team for consideration. Your understanding is highly appreciated.
2-7 23:30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules