Mavic 3 Standard -or- Mavic 3 Classic; the camera's.
1742 17 2023-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
New_User
lvl.1

United States

Hello readers, in this post, Mavic 3 Standard = M3s and the Mavic 3 Classic = M3c --which is better for our following application. We document activity that includes capturing stable images\video of moving vehicles' license-plates and, when possible, the human ocupants through the vehicles' glass; at a safe distance. We are not photographers, the question: would the M3s and its telephoto-lens help an inexperienced Rpic or, should we purchase a M3c?

If the suggestion is M3s, how steep is the 'usage' learning curve for a new-user of the telephoto-lens? This manual doesn't seem to reference the M3s telephoto-lens. https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mavic_3/DJI_Mavic_3_User_Manual_v2.0_en.pdf

Respectfully.

2023-2-1
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

If you are looking for a drone for what you explain above the Mavic 3 with Telephoto is best. The zoom lens at 7x is just amazing
2023-2-1
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Those, including at least one well known Youtuber kid, who keeps saying the Tele camera is a gimmick; have no idea what the Tele camera is capable of.

Main camera

7x Tele camera
2023-2-1
Use props
New_User
lvl.1

United States

Suren Posted at 2-1 20:54
If you are looking for a drone for what you explain above the Mavic 3 with Telephoto is best. The zoom lens at 7x is just amazing

When you say 'zoom', this is where and when I require authorized documentation; which I cannot find in the manual posted originally. There is optical and digital zoom, I need to know how to use, what limits and what results to expect before being separated from $3k.

It is mind numbing that DJi cust-support does not know about its operation or where the telephoto-lens documentation is --to the point that they have to escalate this concern to a 'team'. Are you aware of where the telephoto-lens usage documentation can be accessed?
2023-2-2
Use props
New_User
lvl.1

United States

Monkey007 Posted at 2-1 21:23
Those, including at least one well known Youtuber kid, who keeps saying the Tele camera is a gimmick; have no idea what the Tele camera is capable of.

Main camera

Thank you the clips, however Youtube processes them, additionally the viewing can only be as good as the viewing screen. In this case its not 4k. I'm really looking for the DJi documentation about how to operate the M3s telephoto-lens, its limits and resulting expectations.

What your samples show, on my screen, looks like soft-fuzzy digital zoom --which very well may not provide enough image quality through a vehicles glass for identification purposes. I really need to narrow this down before the purchase. Dji only offers fourteen day returns, Amazon only thirty days to fully inspect. There is no way a first time buyer can fully inspect a device with all these functions/features in that short period.

I continue to listen ...
2023-2-2
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

New_User Posted at 2-2 01:42
When you say 'zoom', this is where and when I require authorized documentation; which I cannot find in the manual posted originally. There is optical and digital zoom, I need to know how to use, what limits and what results to expect before being separated from $3k.

It is mind numbing that DJi cust-support does not know about its operation or where the telephoto-lens documentation is --to the point that they have to escalate this concern to a 'team'. Are you aware of where the telephoto-lens usage documentation can be accessed?

Unfortunately people call the tele lens on Mavic 3 for a zoom lens. It is not. The M3 has two lenses, a wideangle with a large sensor, and a tele lens with a much much smaller sensor. There is no zoom on the Mavic 3, except so-called digital zoom, which is nothing more than cropping of the image.
   The tele lens has an angle of view similar to approx. 162mm on a 35mm camera, in other words a medium short tele. The sensor behind that lens is very small, which means the image quality is not as good as the wide angle lens.
But it is impressive to see how good quality images people get from that lens, despite its shortcomings. With good light during shooting, and proper post processing, you can get really good quality from the tele lens. Search the forum and you will find some great example photos.
2023-2-2
Use props
New_User
lvl.1

United States

ArcticPhoto Posted at 2-2 02:43
Unfortunately people call the tele lens on Mavic 3 for a zoom lens. It is not. The M3 has two lenses, a wideangle with a large sensor, and a tele lens with a much much smaller sensor. There is no zoom on the Mavic 3, except so-called digital zoom, which is nothing more than cropping of the image.
   The tele lens has an angle of view similar to approx. 162mm on a 35mm camera, in other words a medium short tele. The sensor behind that lens is very small, which means the image quality is not as good as the wide angle lens.
But it is impressive to see how good quality images people get from that lens, despite its shortcomings. With good light during shooting, and proper post processing, you can get really good quality from the tele lens. Search the forum and you will find some great example photos.

That is exactly why I'm seeking DJi documentation. I figured I would ask here in case someone outside of DJi [an end-user], knew where such documentation could be accessed. In regard to the rest of your post, it seems I'm out of luck if I purchase the M3s with the telephoto --due to the primary application being at night, along with, we are not photographers and will not be post processing anything. We are seeking the best possible image/video with a bare-lens and with only the available ambient street or vehicle head lights.

I'm sure there may be times I'll wish we had the telephoto lens but, those times wouldn't include our primary night-time application environment. I 'think' we might be better-off using the telephoto-lens savings for an extra battery or two.

Your thoughts?
2023-2-2
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

We are seeking the best possible image/video with a bare-lens and with only the available ambient street or vehicle head lights.

Then the tele lens would not be ideal. The f-stop is 4.4, meaning it requires good light conditions to give acceptable short shutter speed. That combined with the small sensor is not a good combination.
2023-2-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

It occurs to me that you need a good DSLR with a long lens. Why are doing servelliance? Trying to carch bad guys?
2023-2-2
Use props
New_User
lvl.1

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-2 08:33
It occurs to me that you need a good DSLR with a long lens. Why are doing servelliance? Trying to carch bad guys?

Yes, I thought my application was obvious = night, plates, vehicle. We need to ID with the least amount of engagement. It needs to be a Uav -- without spending $9-plus_k, I guess I'm hearing, in this instance, the M3c would offer better image/video results for the given application environment?
2023-2-2
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

New_User Posted at 2-2 09:48
Yes, I thought my application was obvious = night, plates, vehicle. We need to ID with the least amount of engagement. It needs to be a Uav -- without spending $9-plus_k, I guess I'm hearing, in this instance, the M3c would offer better image/video results for the given application environment?

For your intended use  these drones may not be suitable regardless of which variant you choose; because the obstacle avoidance system doesn't work in low light conditions so the risk of crashing is quite high for inexperienced operators.
2023-2-2
Use props
New_User
lvl.1

United States

Monkey007 Posted at 2-2 15:53
For your intended use  these drones may not be suitable regardless of which variant you choose; because the obstacle avoidance system doesn't work in low light conditions so the risk of crashing is quite high for inexperienced operators.

Currently, the priority for this thread is --image/video quality as described earlier.
2023-2-2
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

New_User Posted at 2-2 16:22
Currently, the priority for this thread is --image/video quality as described earlier.

I thought my application was obvious = night, plates, vehicle. We need to ID with the least amount of engagement. It needs to be a Uav --

Totally understand your priority here; but your intended results need to be achieved by flying not too far from the vehicles, which means there will be obstacles around the drone. I was trying to make you aware that obstacle avoidance does not work at night.
2023-2-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Especially with your purpose, a DSLR and long lens would be so much better and cheaper.
2023-2-2
Use props
New_User
lvl.1

United States

@Monkey007, @Mobilehomer, We are only discussing the usage, or not, of the telephoto-lens of the M3s and if it is a better option than the M3c. If not, then we will start focusing on the purchase of a M3c with its standard cameras' fitness, --or lack thereof, for our intended application. Only interested with the camera's as originally posted given the night-time environment described.
2023-2-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

New_User Posted at 2-2 17:30
@Monkey007, @Mobilehomer, We are only discussing the usage, or not, of the telephoto-lens of the M3s and if it is a better option than the M3c. If not, then we will start focusing on the purchase of a M3c with its standard cameras' fitness, --or lack thereof, for our intended application. Only interested with the camera's as originally posted given the night-time environment described.

Go ahead and waste your money. Sorry, but you are not being realistic with your expectations.
2023-2-2
Use props
New_User
lvl.1

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-2 17:52
Go ahead and waste your money. Sorry, but you are not being realistic with your expectations.

@Mobilehomer, clearly you are not adhering to the query. This thread is about the M3s vs the M3c camera's. No where did this query include DSLR, or any other function, feature or the price of tea in China.
2023-2-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

New_User Posted at 2-2 19:42
@Mobilehomer, clearly you are not adhering to the query. This thread is about the M3s vs the M3c camera's. No where did this query include DSLR, or any other function, feature or the price of tea in China.

No, there is no drone you can buy for less than about $10000 that will do what you want. The M3 series will NOT do it.Hoiw many here have told you this?
2023-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules